Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Combined with the loss of the world's largest ball of twine, the closing of the bigfoot museum, and the replica of the White House made of butter getting damaged and moldy, the last decade has dealt a devastating blow to America's weird roadside attraction industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
At least the corn palace perseveres

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

At least the corn palace perseveres

It's too powerful a metaphor...for now

Edit - just remembered we lost Touchdown Jesus as well

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

97.5 % of my state by area is currently in "severe drought" or worse
here is what characterizes severe drought:
-grazing land is inadequate
-fire season is longer, with high burn intensity, dry fuels, and large fire spatial extent
-trees are stressed, plants increase reproductive mechanisms, wildlife disease increase

the area at this level of drought includes the 2nd, 11th, 17th, 43th, 45th largest cities by population in the country. all told roughly 36 million people, ~10% of the entire population of the united states, in my state alone, are at least at this level of drought

59.8% of the state is currently in "extreme drought" or worse.
this is characterized by:
-livestock need expensive supplemental feed, cattle and horses are sold, little pasture remains, fruit trees bud early, producers begin irrigating in the winter
-fire season lasts year-round, fires occur in typically wet parts of the state, burn bans are implemented
-water is inadequate for agriculture wildlife, and urban needs, reservoirs are extremely low, hydropower is restricted

the area at this level of drought includes the 37th largest city by population

11.6% of the state is currently in "exceptional drought" (this is the max on the scale)
-fields are left fallow, orchards are removed, vegetable yields are low, honey harvest is small
-fire season is very costly, number of fires and are burned are extensive
-fish rescue and relocation begins, pine beetle infestation occurs, forest mortality is high, wetlands dry up, survival of native plants and animals is low, fewer wildflowers bloom, wildlife death is widespread, algae blooms appear

the area at this level of drought includes the 35th largest city by population, and a significant portion of the most productive fruit and nut agricultural land in the world

this is one aspect of climate change in one state of one country in the world.

i cannot fantom, i can't begin to understand how significantly more money is available to reduce an entry in a ledger, than there is to attempt to slow down and survive the disaster we can now all see surrounding us in our daily lives

there cannot be a measure were by this is the morally, politically, or logically correct choice. on some fundamental level it feels like an insult aimed at the value of human life

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/monitoring/nadm/maps for anyone that hasnt seen the up to date drought map for North America. Its pretty wild how little coverage this seems to get in both media and from any of the 3 governments considering how much agricultural land is currently within that blob.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
weird I just literally learned about those weird stone slabs a few days ago because of that crazy regressive lady running for office.

Also lol accelerationism has car bombs now, another OK City is a non zero measurement closer and I'm not sure which way the nation is going swing if it happens.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Furnaceface posted:

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/monitoring/nadm/maps for anyone that hasnt seen the up to date drought map for North America. Its pretty wild how little coverage this seems to get in both media and from any of the 3 governments considering how much agricultural land is currently within that blob.

I thought this was most up to date: https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

someone here said that biden was the worst democratic president since andrew johnson

someone else countered and said that woodrow wilson was worse than biden

but no, joe biden is in fact the worst democratic president since andrew johnson

Can someone explain to me rationally why this is a big deal? We don’t know the terms of the deal, but it seems like this judge is going to be nominated as part of an agreement to getMitch McConnell to agree to use less than the full extent of his procedural rights to slow the confirmation of judicial nominees.

Do you understand that there are currently 77 judicial vacancies? Including by my count six vacancies in the powerful Courts of Appeals? Do you understand that the Courts of Appeals have the final word in more than 99% of all federal cases and that their panel decisions are binding on the district courts in their circuit? Do you understand that this anti-abortion judge is being appointed to a trial court, and that the role of trial court judge is mostly boring and non-political? They spend most of their time deciding deciding pre-trial motions in routine civil cases.

I would probably agree to appoint 10 conservative district judges if it meant I could appoint one non-conservative circuit judge. Seriously. I don’t think the obsession with this one trial court nominee in Kentucky is rational.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ogmius815 posted:

Can someone explain to me rationally why this is a big deal? We don’t know the terms of the deal, but it seems like this judge is going to be nominated as part of an agreement to getMitch McConnell to agree to use less than the full extent of his procedural rights to slow the confirmation of judicial nominees.

Do you understand that there are currently 77 judicial vacancies? Including by my count six vacancies in the powerful Courts of Appeals? Do you understand that the Courts of Appeals have the final word in more than 99% of all federal cases and that their panel decisions are binding on the district courts in their circuit? Do you understand that this anti-abortion judge is being appointed to a trial court, and that the role of trial court judge is mostly boring and non-political? They spend most of their time deciding deciding pre-trial motions in routine civil cases.

I would probably agree to appoint 10 conservative district judges if it meant I could appoint one non-conservative circuit judge. Seriously. I don’t think the obsession with this one trial court nominee in Kentucky is rational.

*Zizek voice* ideology

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

I thought this was most up to date: https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

Pretty sure that is the data that gets put into the one I linked. I chose the slightly out of date one because it covers North America as a whole, since the scale of the drought seems to be constantly understated. Like the US is taking the brunt of it right now but its something affecting an entire continent and for some reason politicians just seem to universally pass it off as a California problem.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

Are these people fascists? Because we're constantly being told they're fascists and we should not be putting fascists into positions of power if we don't have to. It's an unforced error from a team with a lot of them.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

International Swimming, Rugby, Wrestling, and U.S. college swimming have all confirmed new policies that ban trans athletes from competing in women's sports unless they transitioned before age 12. It also creates a new third "open competition" category where people of all genders can compete.

FIFA and the international track and field governing body are expected to release similar policies soon and other international sports organizations are likely to follow suit for consistency.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1544799615853158400
This is some loving vile, evil poo poo. And entirely baseless.

I'm sure if some dominant trans woman athlete crops up who transitioned before 12 (:lol: most countries are even more transphobic than the US) there will all of a sudden be a lot of concern and new restrictions. The point is not "fairness" or whatever pablum they're using to justify it, it's to erase trans people. All because one athlete won some events!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

97.5 % of my state by area is currently in "severe drought" or worse
here is what characterizes severe drought:
-grazing land is inadequate
-fire season is longer, with high burn intensity, dry fuels, and large fire spatial extent
-trees are stressed, plants increase reproductive mechanisms, wildlife disease increase

the area at this level of drought includes the 2nd, 11th, 17th, 43th, 45th largest cities by population in the country. all told roughly 36 million people, ~10% of the entire population of the united states, in my state alone, are at least at this level of drought

59.8% of the state is currently in "extreme drought" or worse.
-livestock need expensive supplemental feed, cattle and horses are sold, little pasture remains, fruit trees bud early, producers begin irrigating in the winter
-fire season lasts year-round, fires occur in typically wet parts of the state, burn bans are implemented
-water is inadequate for agriculture wildlife, and urban needs, reservoirs are extremely low, hydropower is restricted

the area at this level of drought includes the 37th largest city by population

11.6% of the state is currently in "exceptional drought" (this is the max on the scale)
-fields are left fallow, orchards are removed, vegetable yields are low, honey harvest is small
-fire season is very costly, number of fires and are burned are extensive
-fish rescue and relocation begins, pine beetle infestation occurs, forest mortality is high, wetlands dry up, survival of native plants and animals is low, fewer wildflowers bloom, wildlife death is widespread, algae blooms appear

the area at this level of drought includes the 35th largest city by population, and a significant portion of the most productive fruit and nut agricultural land in the world

this is one aspect of climate change in one state of one country in the world.

i cannot fantom, i can't begin to understand how significantly more money is available to reduce an entry in a ledger, than there is to attempt to slow down and survive the disaster we can now all see surrounding us in our daily lives

there cannot be a measure were by this is the morally, politically, or logically correct choice. on some fundamental level it feels like an insult aimed at the value of human life

At least in regards to agriculture I expect no one in leadership wants to broach the subject that climate change and agriculture will require taking more control to properly distribute resources instead of letting the free market decide. The Colorado River drying up is only exacerbated by how much of the water goes to luxury crops.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

Are these people fascists? Because we're constantly being told they're fascists and we should not be putting fascists into positions of power if we don't have to. It's an unforced error from a team with a lot of them.

Okay but I just explained why it isn’t an error. It’s more like letting a runner advance to third so you can turn a double play at second and first, i.e. a better outcome.

And I’m wrong. There are fifteen CoA nominations pending, not six. I don’t know how many bad district judges I’d appoint in exchange for an opportunity to appoint fifteen circuit judges, but certainly more than one!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

do you recall how the last dozen or so peace offerings to Mitch McConnell by the center panned out.

do you recall how the last dozen or so moves by Joe Biden to compromise with the right panned out.

is there anything more than the sunk cost fallacy to the belief that no, really, -this- concession is going to be the one that Republicans reward you for.

is there anything that would even theoretically stop McConnell from reneging on the deal

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

This is some loving vile, evil poo poo. And entirely baseless.

I'm sure if some dominant trans woman athlete crops up who transitioned before 12 (:lol: most countries are even more transphobic than the US) there will all of a sudden be a lot of concern and new restrictions. The point is not "fairness" or whatever pablum they're using to justify it, it's to erase trans people. All because one athlete won some events!
This quote stands out to me:

quote:

"Without eligibility standards based on biological sex or sex-linked traits, we are very unlikely to see biological females in finals, on podiums, or in championship positions,” read the statement in part.
Because I can see the next evolution being replacing "biological females" with "white people" and "sex-linked traits" with "race-linked traits," given the already present stereotypes in our society along with the great replacement theory folks.

and once again, it seems only concerned with MTF trans people. If anything, wouldn't making FTM play in women's sports be worse or just as bad?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

do you recall how the last dozen or so peace offerings to Mitch McConnell by the center panned out.

do you recall how the last dozen or so moves by Joe Biden to compromise with the right panned out.

is there anything more than the sunk cost fallacy to the belief that no, really, -this- concession is going to be the one that Republicans reward you for.

I mean if your theory is just that Mitch is lying and he won’t hold up his end of the bargain, that’s easily remedied. Chuck Schumer gives McConell a list of judges he wants to confirm before sine die adjournment. He indicates they will be confirmed in the order listed. “I call your attention to the last name on the list, your buddy you want to get a job for. We’ll get to who we get to.”

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

Okay but I just explained why it isn’t an error. It’s more like letting a runner advance to third so you can turn a double play at second and first, i.e. a better outcome.

And I’m wrong. There are fifteen CoA nominations pending, not six. I don’t know how many bad district judges I’d appoint in exchange for an opportunity to appoint fifteen circuit judges, but certainly more than one!

I mean yeah, sure, you did make the argument that we should allow some fascists in power in exchange for something else. I'm not that surprised other people have a different view of the situation though. There's not really a clean answer here because it's just going to be a difference of opinion that makes you decide if this is a big deal or not.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

I mean if your theory is just that Mitch is lying and he won’t hold up his end of the bargain, that’s easily remedied. Chuck Schumer gives McConell a list of judges he wants to confirm before sine die adjournment. He indicates they will be confirmed in the order listed. “I call your attention to the last name on the list, your buddy you want to get a job for. We’ll get to who we get to.”

That's not how Democrats negotiate with him though. Standard procedure(esp. from Biden and Schumer) is to immediately agree to do whatever he wants in exchange for some vague future promise that he will never fulfill.

For all his reputation as an evil mastermind Mitch isn't actually that clever, he just stands out as a super genius amongst the absolute ding-dongs in Congress.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

we can all safely assume that in a world where you were permitted to script reality, the deal would be far less embarrassing than the one that has the Democratic governor of Kentucky currently yelling at Biden about how monstrous a mistake he is making. fun trivia for you: the judge in question is on Beshear's poo poo list for all the awful stuff he's done while in Kentucky.

meanwhile, in reality, latest reporting is that the deal is Biden gets two US Attorneys (a position with a 4-year term before the president decides if they get reappointed) in exchange for one lifetime appointment for an anti-abortion judge who's a personal pal to Mitch McConnell.

i repeat the question: is there anything to the belief that this will be the concession the Republicans reward you for. is there anything more than sunk-cost-fallacy-induced hope behind the assertion that Joe Biden wouldn't give that much ground for the right, in exchange for basically nothing.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Ogmius815 posted:

Why would appointing the conservative shithead mean anything but getting the conservative shithead appointed? Mitch has no reason to abide by any agreement given the poltical reality.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Combined with the loss of the world's largest ball of twine, the closing of the bigfoot museum, and the replica of the White House made of butter getting damaged and moldy, the last decade has dealt a devastating blow to America's weird roadside attraction industry.

Carhenge is still standing, right?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

I mean yeah, sure, you did make the argument that we should allow some fascists in power in exchange for something else. I'm not that surprised other people have a different view of the situation though. There's not really a clean answer here because it's just going to be a difference of opinion that makes you decide if this is a big deal or not.

Yeah I think that’s probably right. I’m generally happy to oppose futile gestures that demonstrably make things worse done for the sake of abstract ideological correctness or putative moral purity. Fair enough.

Gerund posted:

Why would appointing the conservative shithead mean anything but getting the conservative shithead appointed? Mitch has no reason to abide by any agreement given the poltical reality.

I’ve actually already explained why “Mitch is just lying” isn’t a good reason not to make a deal. While I would never advocate actually trusting Mitch McConnell, trust isn’t necessary here. Mitch isn’t currently in a position that allows him to double-cross the democrats in this way. He has no control over the order in which the senate will consider nominees. So all democrats have to do to make sure Mitch keeps his word is consider the Kentucky nominee (who I believe is an associate of Mitch’s that he would be unhappy to see screwed over) last or almost last. That way, Mitch has to keep his word to get what he wants because if he doesn’t, his nominee will be returned to the White House on January 3, as per senate rules.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 7, 2022

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
every once in a while i find myself circling around to examine the idea of 'crank pragmatism', and the kind of absolute insanity that finds itself masquerading as rationality on the grounds that the people susceptible to it consider themselves serious. the ur-example is the A Beautiful Mind guy, who cooked the poo poo out of his various game theory experiments so they'd back up his personal paranoid delusions: he thought cooperation was possible only in the naive and foolish, so when the experiments he'd cooked up revealed that cooperation actually outperformed people willing to nuke the world at the first sign of opposition, he messed with the numbers (and test subjects) until they backed up what he wanted them to say.

we have in the case of this Kentucky appointment an easy example of a stupid misstep by the administration, one that all reporting backs up is the kind of idiot backscratching that has marked Joe Biden's life. an opposition politician is making his life hard, he gets their buddy a lifetime job, in exchange a minor irritant is removed from his to-do list, and he gets to reward some of -his- people with cushy jobs. good old-fashioned 1960s-1980s gladhandling. yes, a couple of social liberals might whine about the horrifyingly retrograde person Joe Biden just gave a lifetime gig to enforce their hateful ideology to, but what are they gonna do, vote republican about it? he gets what he wants, the republicans get what they want, and everyone involved can get back to sexually harrassing their staffers before lunch.

but to the Very Serious Person, it can't be that simple. there must be some grander strategy at play. "This is chess, not checkers," to use the old Obama fan line, or "trust the plan," as their intellectual heirs in Qanon put it. and so an entire universe of grander stakes is conjured, disregarding all the reporting about what's actually happening as a mere shadow play put on by the mastermind to distract the rubes.

because if that reporting was accurate, Joe Biden would have signed off on Mitch McConnell absolutely screwing the Democratic party, and called it a victory.

and so they build a more comfortable fantasy world to live in, and they name that fantasy 'pragmatic.'

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 7, 2022

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

every once in a while i find myself circling around to examine the idea of 'crank pragmatism', and the kind of absolute insanity that finds itself masquerading as rationality on the grounds that the people susceptible to it consider themselves serious. the ur-example is the A Beautiful Mind guy, who cooked the poo poo out of his various game theory experiments so they'd back up his personal paranoid delusions: he thought cooperation was possible only in the naive and foolish, so when the experiments he'd cooked up revealed that cooperation actually outperformed people willing to nuke the world at the first sign of opposition, he messed with the numbers (and test subjects) until they backed up what he wanted them to say.

we have in the case of this Kentucky appointment an easy example of a stupid misstep by the administration, one that all reporting backs up is the kind of idiot backscratching that has marked Joe Biden's life. an opposition politician is making his life hard, he gets their buddy a lifetime job, in exchange a minor irritant is removed from his to-do list, and he gets to reward some of -his- people with cushy jobs. good old-fashioned 1960s-1980s gladhandling. yes, a couple of social liberals might whine about the horrifyingly retrograde person Joe Biden just gave a lifetime gig to enforce their hateful ideology to, but what are they gonna do, vote republican about it? he gets what he wants, the republicans get what they want, and everyone involved can get back to sexually harrassing their staffers before lunch.

but to the Very Serious Person, it can't be that simple. there must be some grander strategy at play. "This is chess, not checkers," to use the old Obama fan line, or "trust the plan," as their intellectual heirs in Qanon put it. and so an entire universe of grander stakes is conjured, disregarding all the reporting about what's actually happening as a mere shadow play put on by the mastermind to distract the rubes.

because if that reporting was accurate, Joe Biden would have signed off on Mitch McConnell absolutely screwing the Democratic party, and calling it a victory.

and so they build a more comfortable fantasy world to live in, and they name that fantasy 'pragmatic.'

The cheap insults in this post don’t conceal that you haven’t bothered to engage with the actual points here. I’ll summarize them for you:

District judges aren’t important politically. They are glorified trial referees. On the rare occasion that a district judge has an opportunity to make a decision of political consequence, his decision is almost always immediately appealable. Who reviews them? Panels of the Courts of Appeals. On the other hand, the Courts of Appeals are highly political, and their decisions are almost always final. So, if you have a chance to appoint several circuit judges you like at the cost of appointing one district judge you don’t like, that’s a no-brainer.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

The place where you can drive through the middle of a tree burned down.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

The cheap insults in this post don’t conceal that you haven’t bothered to engage with the actual points here. I’ll summarize them for you:

District judges aren’t important politically. They are glorified trial referees. On the rare occasion that a district judge has an opportunity to make a decision of political consequence, his decision is almost always immediately appealable. Who reviews them? Panels of the Courts of Appeals. On the other hand, the Courts of Appeals are highly political, and their decisions are almost always final. So, if you have a chance to appoint several circuit judges you like at the cost of appointing one district judge you don’t like, that’s a no-brainer.

and, as i have pointed out repeatedly, the actual reporting on the subject is that the deal is one lifetime appointment for two US Attorneys, positions with 4-year-terms or until the President tells them to take a hike, whichever comes sooner.

your fanfiction describes a considerably more appealing deal than that! so I ask you a third time: is there anything to suggest it is more based in reality than Reuters and the Courier-Journal's repoting on the subject.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

International Swimming, Rugby, Wrestling, and U.S. college swimming have all confirmed new policies that ban trans athletes from competing in women's sports unless they transitioned before age 12. It also creates a new third "open competition" category where people of all genders can compete.

FIFA and the international track and field governing body are expected to release similar policies soon and other international sports organizations are likely to follow suit for consistency.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1544799615853158400

This policy is appallingly transphobic on its face, but fascinatingly I think it might actually be a way to end-run around this whole debate if we give it time.

Men will mostly not compete in the open category unless you eliminate the male-only category entirely, because it's an admission that they're not good enough to compete at the absolute top level. Look at how many male boxers refused to fight Patricio Manuel simply because it's either: you beat him, and everyone thinks it was easy, or you don't, and people laugh at you.

What, then, if you're a top level cis female athlete with no intersex traits? Well, you have the choice of the "I've always, and only, had a vagina, ovaries and estrogen" category, or the open competition, where you probably won't have to compete against any particularly serious men, and you'll still be competitive against trans/intersex athletes because -- prior to these ridiculous rules -- it's not like trans people were, in general, enjoying particular athletic success. If you can compete at a high level, you wouldn't take the route perceived as "easier" that's actually not meaningfully easier, because it can only possibly lower your prestige in victory.

The end result is, essentially: this policy exists for the explicit purpose of transphobia while having no particular other motivating factor toward its existence, but if we can hold our nose for a bit regarding how stunningly awful it is, it's entirely possible it could end this horrifically stupid debate about Who Is Cis Enough to Compete As A Woman. I have strongly mixed feelings about exactly how good or bad that is. I'd like that debate to die, but I'd prefer to avoid the inherent transphobia in this solution.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

and, as i have pointed out repeatedly, the actual reporting on the subject is that the deal is one lifetime appointment for two US Attorneys, positions with 4-year-terms or until the President tells them to take a hike, whichever comes sooner.

your fanfiction describes a considerably more appealing deal than that! so I ask you a third time: is there anything to suggest it is more based in reality than Reuters and the Courier-Journal's repoting on the subject.

Well, there’s the article I was originally responding to:

quote:

For Biden, any deal could clear a path for some of the dozens of nominees currently held up in the Senate just months before the midterm elections. As Democrats continue to struggle in polling, White House officials have started to plan for the possibility of Republican takeovers in the House and, potentially, the Senate -- something that would throw a major roadblock in front of any future Biden nominees.

But yes, my analysis here is predicated on getting judicial nominees through. If indeed the deal has nothing to do with judicial nominees and is simply about two us attorneys, I agree that’s a bad deal. However, I doubt that’s actually true. McConnell can’t actually stop Biden from appointing who he likes, all he can do is delay the process. He can delay enough to make confirming 77 more judges before the end of the year impracticable, but not enough to make it very difficult to confirm two U.S. Attorneys. So I doubt the deal is limited to that.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

But yes, my analysis here is predicated on getting judicial nominees through. If indeed the deal has nothing to do with judicial nominees and is simply about two us attorneys, I agree that’s a bad deal. However, I doubt that’s actually true. McConnell can’t actually stop Biden from appointing who he likes, all he can do is delay the process. He can delay enough to make confirming 77 more judges before the end of the year impracticable, but not enough to make it very difficult to confirm two U.S. Attorneys. So I doubt the deal is limited to that.

That's not reporting, it's just speculation

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

I join you in the hope that the agreement is not as reported, and is instead a different, better one, thoroughly unrelated to the one you started this conversation by asking why people considered it such a big deal.

because, to be clear, if your speculation does not describe reality, and the reporting does, this agreement is Joe Biden making GBS threads all over abortion rights in exchange for effectively gently caress-all.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 7, 2022

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Automata 10 Pack posted:

yup, thanks goons who were in support of this. in a world growing increasingly fascist, you helped accelerate things.

Where the hell did this come from

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ogmius815 posted:

Based on what you've posted and linked, it seema your rationale for doubting this is simply that you don't want it to be true?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ogmius815 posted:

Does this play out in your mind with the West Wing theme swelling to a crescendo , while McConnell throws his hat on the ground and stamps on it in impotent Republican fury?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Ogmius815 posted:

His former boss repeatedly derided him for negotiating favorably with the Republicans behind his back, so I might go with Obama's analysis that Joe "I want to work with Republicans" Biden wants to work with Republicans and not your contention that the octogenarian from corpo-friendly Delaware is playing the long game.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

EDIT: This isn't the lols thread

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 7, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

Until I actually see this happen I'm going to go with what I saw someone else here say, which is that trusting a McConnel promise ought to justify invoking the 25th.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 7, 2022

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
McConnell is the metaphorical scorpion, Joe Biden is the frog, except the scorpion knows how to swim, comes back to the side of the river with all the frogs and convinces another one it will be different this time

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Twincityhacker posted:

Since the Georgia Guidestones turn out to be a eugenics promoting piece of trash, I am not terriblely put out about this.

I'm not upset this particular piece of art is gone, but fascists feeling they're far enough along the fascist timeline to comfortably start destroying works of art is concerning.

e: this will probably embolden someone to go after Blucifer at some point in the near future, religious folks hate that thing

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 7, 2022

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Ulta posted:

McConnell is the metaphorical scorpion, Joe Biden is the frog, except the scorpion knows how to swim, comes back to the side of the river with all the frogs and convinces another one it will be different this time

In this analogy, though, frog Joe Biden is only temporarily stunned by the poison, and always swims back to the shore. He's given McConnell several rides at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

Oh, your analysis is wrong then. Joe isn't making a deal for judges. If he is you're free to post evidence that's happening. That's the confusion here, no worries happens to the best of us.