Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

dhamster posted:

Gearing up to implement some story dialogue that I wrote into my game. In Arcade mode I'm going to be using the Pixel Crashers dialogue system to put some brief story vignettes between fights (just a couple lines of dialogue each). I figure I can put in some kind of toggle to turn it off if a player doesn't like the story or already saw it once.

I want players to be able to skip or quickly skip through these easily if they're not interested in them, so my thoughts were:

A typewriter effect quickly displays dialogue at a rate of 30 chars/sec. (Or should it be instant?)

If I do use the typewriter effect, pressing most buttons should show all the text at once, then you press again to get to the next snippet of dialogue. Should it auto advance if they don't press anything?

I also think pressing the UI cancel button should skip ahead, and start should skip the whole cutscene.

Does this seem like a good plan? Are there any best practices for doing these sorts of little cutscenes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-NfNog7MR4

Here's how it looks right now. You can hit any confirm button to instantly show the appearing text, the cancel button to skip a line, or the start button to make the cutscene go away and get into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I added some "talking" sounds.

https://twitter.com/MegaKnockdown/status/1544392218873585670

I've plugged in the first of six story campaigns so far. Pixel Crushers makes the process pretty easy.
https://twitter.com/MegaKnockdown/status/1544485946439221248

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

dhamster posted:

I've plugged in the first of six story campaigns so far. Pixel Crushers makes the process pretty easy.

After seeing those portraits my brain is adding in a Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff unlockable meme character.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I went through a brief phase of experimenting with dialog sounds. I did the Animal Crossing thing (surprisingly straightforward, just make clips from various musical instruments), but it wasn't a good match for my game. Something I eventually realized is that the sound doesn't need to reflect anything in specific about the game or who's talking; there just needs to be a sound to go with the dialog. Ideally it's also not too intrusive. What I went with was a muted "tick" sound. Play it periodically when letters are drawn on the screen -- not once per letter, but maybe 5-10 times per second. Feel free to use that specific sound file if you like.

The Yakuza games do something similar. The same sound effect gets used for every speaker, and it's fine.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

dhamster posted:

i like the Star Fox-esque talking sounds. character portraits are looking good, too.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I put in a script to give each character a different "voice" (just a single, very short syllable like the one in the clip). Framework-wise things are pretty much where I want them, now I just have to keep plugging away at putting in all the dialogue I wrote..

drawbot
Oct 18, 2005

waaaugh
Digging it - I want to do something similar for the dialogue setup in my game, though it makes me wonder how well that'd mesh with Zelda style action barks during play. Only one way to find out I guess!

So: a while back I started trying to upgrade to UE5 and ran into a brick wall with switching from PhysX to Chaos. I still think PhysX is better if only by virtue of being a more refined product, but after figuring out what Chaos expects (which is largely the opposite of what PhysX expects), I'm satisfied with the result and I've fully migrated from UE4. I had some reservations about raising the requirements, but when I thought about it by the time I release this project anything mid-range today will be years out of date, lol.

https://twitter.com/irqfive/status/1544666713735794688?s=20&t=LRKSZppq9Paq88l0hHj_sA

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The Pixar team wants to have a word with you about character design.

drawbot
Oct 18, 2005

waaaugh
unless it's to hire me, i must remind their legal team that powerful butts are not subject to copyright

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I guarantee they are interested in your butt technology.

drawbot
Oct 18, 2005

waaaugh
good because i put a lot of work into it

now i just need to wait for yoko taro to notice

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Are you the same goon that made a Flash platformer with a super-sexualized woman on the title page art, and then completely tame pixel art for the actual gameplay? I remember they did it completely cynically, like, "doing this gets me an order of magnitude more engagement, so I'm doing it".

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
No shame in paying the bills.

drawbot
Oct 18, 2005

waaaugh

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Are you the same goon that made a Flash platformer with a super-sexualized woman on the title page art, and then completely tame pixel art for the actual gameplay? I remember they did it completely cynically, like, "doing this gets me an order of magnitude more engagement, so I'm doing it".

Nope, but that definitely sounds familiar if not just fully on brand for parts of the industry. This is an earnest effort, but I also know I haven't shown off anything beyond character movement and modeling so far, soooo

M_Gargantua posted:

No shame in paying the bills.

also unironically yes, tbh

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

drawbot posted:

I had some reservations about raising the requirements, but when I thought about it by the time I release this project anything mid-range today will be years out of date, lol.

Unless you are moving from Unity or Godot to Unreal requirements aren't really going to be an issue, because just being on UE cuts off the people running on old low spec computers. Not to say they aren't significant, but it's a very different slice of the market

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

drawbot posted:

Nope, but that definitely sounds familiar if not just fully on brand for parts of the industry. This is an earnest effort, but I also know I haven't shown off anything beyond character movement and modeling so far, soooo

Yeah, to be clear, I'm not trying to shame you. I was just curious.

In Waves of Steel news:
https://twitter.com/byobattleship/status/1544705480081252353

This is pretty much everything I've done from March through May or so, dressed up with a nice trailer and announcement post. I'm hoping it'll attract some press attention -- my PR team is sending a press release out to go with the announcement. Word of mouth is always welcome as well, of course!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

drawbot posted:

It does look like some fun movement tech

drawbot
Oct 18, 2005

waaaugh

Hel posted:

Unless you are moving from Unity or Godot to Unreal requirements aren't really going to be an issue, because just being on UE cuts off the people running on old low spec computers. Not to say they aren't significant, but it's a very different slice of the market

Yeah, I started the project in UE4 without a real conscious idea of my target hardware, but over time it became "as long as my four year old rig can run it," and that naturally became "mid-range computer in 2022." What I really wanted to be able to do was target the Switch but I need to have a publishing deal and/or a few games already out there before they even let me sniff at a dev kit, so that was off the table completely. The real comedy will be when I try to get it to run on my wife's Inspiron.

Yeah, to be clear, I'm not trying to shame you. I was just curious.

All good! It's an adjustment for me - this is my first major public project and I'm still figuring out how to discuss it when the most complete part of it is literally all that most people notice in the empty test environment. I ultimately consider it a sign of success but it does give me pause lol

M_Gargantua posted:

It does look like some fun movement tech

thank you :kimchi: I've been wanting to put together a game that emphasizes the freedom of movement and speed without turning into Sonic or a rails runner, and for me the answer became "what if bunnyhopping?" - which largely came out of the character design, hence the project name.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

When you first posted a video I thought, "That's quite a lot of butt."

Then I saw the kinds of movements involved and thought, "That's the appropriate amount of butt."

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Hideo Kojima's Phantom Hourglass

drawbot
Oct 18, 2005

waaaugh
exactly, it is the exact amount of butt required for that kind of speed and power. not sure about making people feel ashamed for their words and deeds but that probably happens later

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

drawbot posted:

exactly, it is the exact amount of butt required for that kind of speed and power. not sure about making people feel ashamed for their words and deeds but that probably happens later

Man, waifu/husbando culture of character driven games is going to lead me to eventually having to say "okay, but this character needs more butt" to a modeler and I'm not looking forward to it.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

SweetBro posted:

Man, waifu/husbando culture of character driven games is going to lead me to eventually having to say "okay, but this character needs more butt" to a modeler and I'm not looking forward to it.

Pretty sure that exchange has happened since at least the 90s

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

leper khan posted:

Pretty sure that exchange has happened since at least the 90s

Yeah, but like. Part of me naively wishes that our industry would have grown past that, but after talking with enough people in the marketing space it's very clear that it hasn't. Not that I'm against sexy stuff in games, but to some degree I'm just disappointed how much of a decisive factor the boneability of a character cast is in actually making sales.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
My creative pitch is infinitely variable nft waifu's as characters in a tactical role-playing game with permadeath and a gatcha mechanic. Procedurally generated backstory and dialog taking up 95% of dev resources to sell these RNG characters. Gotta check all the boxes for a money printer.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I've been making good progress on this space sim tycoon thing. You can now make auto-scanning ships to scan for asteroids and auto-mining ships which will mine the scanned asteroids and when their storage fills up they dump them off at their anchored station.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LCUBBSUhEo
I'm using ECS for the first time in a serious way and it's kinda great for the way I program. I'm able to keep things nice and encapsulated while still flexible and I can really layer on the complexity without as much compounding tech debt.

drawbot
Oct 18, 2005

waaaugh

Lucid Dream posted:

I've been making good progress on this space sim tycoon thing. You can now make auto-scanning ships to scan for asteroids and auto-mining ships which will mine the scanned asteroids and when their storage fills up they dump them off at their anchored station.
I'm using ECS for the first time in a serious way and it's kinda great for the way I program. I'm able to keep things nice and encapsulated while still flexible and I can really layer on the complexity without as much compounding tech debt.

This is extremely satisfying in a very real way. I've always had a soft spot for top-down ship games way back to Innerspace and this is scratching that same itch.

SweetBro posted:

Hopefully you'll never have to say this to anybody unless you really want to. Marketing will always suggest that thirst traps are a guaranteed profit model. They're not wrong! They also might not care about what your target demo is or the intent of your project. Good marketing teams will know how to draw eyes without compromising or misrepresenting the product, but the absolute success of horny gacha is like catnip to publishers that want that perpetual revenue.

Which speaks to your other point: the mainstream culture of the industry honestly has grown a lot since the '90s and the sleazy marketing angles that were more in line with, like, fragrances and fashion, but the nature of people is still the same. (Also I guess the ad strategy has shifted to the mobile market, so.) Even if every art director were to excise traditionally hot designs from their lineups, modders and freelancers would just ... bring them back. Or change the existing ones. Horny finds a way. There's a definite awareness of this secondary market and, naturally, the more cynical types will insist on attempting to direct that money to the primary product. Every freelance commission is missed revenue.

That said, artists being asked to revise designs is just part of the job, but I guarantee you a lot of us would be A-OK with being told to get wild, lol.

M_Gargantua posted:

My creative pitch is infinitely variable nft waifu's as characters in a tactical role-playing game with permadeath and a gatcha mechanic. Procedurally generated backstory and dialog taking up 95% of dev resources to sell these RNG characters. Gotta check all the boxes for a money printer.

i see you have also played fire emblem stay night

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You don't have to be horny to sell. Plenty of very successful games have no horniness to them at all. And frankly, I for one prefer it when I'm able to cleanly separate the horny aspects of my life from the non-horny aspects.

M_Gargantua posted:

Just to be the boring person here: NFTs are not money printers, and they weren't even before the most recent crypto crash. Otherwise: ...YEP

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

And frankly, I for one prefer it when I'm able to cleanly separate the horny aspects of my life from the non-horny aspects.

My life has no non-horny aspects.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

SweetBro posted:

New blender slider implemented that has extremes of "Hank Hill" and "OMG Becky"

You don't have to be horny to sell. Plenty of very successful games have no horniness to them at all. And frankly, I for one prefer it when I'm able to cleanly separate the horny aspects of my life from the non-horny aspects.

Just to be the boring person here: NFTs are not money printers, and they weren't even before the most recent crypto crash. Otherwise: ...YEP

You don't have to be horny to sell, but I can't ever imagine a situation where adding horny to a game reduces your sales.

drawbot
Oct 18, 2005

waaaugh
There's a time and place for all things, including horny, but some people are planted firmly in the "all the time" camp which has given us things like nexusmods and the mobile game industry

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Polio Vax Scene posted:

You don't have to be horny to sell, but I can't ever imagine a situation where adding horny to a game reduces your sales.

Certainly, there's an attitude in a lot of the industry that adding horny doesn't decrease your market size and might increase it, so you might as well. But I'm not sure I'd necessarily agree. As a trivial counter-example, a game that's targeted towards young children should probably not have horny designs, just like it shouldn't have ultra-violence. But also, there is a segment of the market that appreciates content specifically for not being horny, so I can conceive of somehow managing to target that market. Would that get you more sales than the same game with horny elements? That's a very hard question to answer.

One thing I do wish more game designers would do is make their character designs coherent. It drives me bonkers when visual designs (including animation) clash with a character's personality. If you have a hard-bitten, bitter character, they're probably not going to be shaking their rear end in their walk cycle, or constantly leaning over to give a view down their chest. Same goes for bashful, blushing types. By a similar token, if you have a cutscene where someone is going through a traumatic experience, that is not a good time to show off their "assets", so to speak. If you're gonna make a sexy character, then please have their personality and the way they're framed by the camera and story buy into that presentation. Look at Bayonetta for a rare example of doing it right.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lucid Dream posted:

Hey if you'd like some free basic art for this let me know, I love drawing 2d space environments and spaceships and stuff. I even made myself a stars & nebula skybox generator built out of hand-drawn space parts :kiddo: I would love a project to work on and I'm way into the idea of a game like this.

You can see some examples of skyboxes from that skybox generator (very gaudy for demonstration purposes but would obviously be toned down for use in a game) and some other space stuff I've drawn relatively recently here:
https://imgur.com/a/ZlniHFp

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 7, 2022

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Hey if you'd like some free basic art for this let me know, I love drawing 2d space environments and spaceships and stuff. I even made myself a stars & nebula skybox generator built out of hand-drawn space parts :kiddo: I would love a project to work on and I'm way into the idea of a game like this.

You can see some examples of skyboxes from that skybox generator (very gaudy for demonstration purposes but would obviously be toned down for use in a game) and some other space stuff I've drawn relatively recently here:
https://imgur.com/a/ZlniHFp

Hey, thanks for the offer but I'm probably going to keep it to just abstract shapes and focus purely on gameplay for the foreseeable future. My intention is to more or less replicate playing X4 from the galaxy map so anything more than abstract icons right now is probably counterproductive. If/when I get the full breadth of the gameplay stuff finished (economic sim, simple combat, missions, etc) then I'll start seriously considering whether or not I want to move down a level of abstraction to the point where there would be ships with proper sprites and turret placements and stuff.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/byobattleship/status/1545173848970039296

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Why are you being so rude about your procedural Hans Zimmer soundtrack?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Got to say that one of the benefits of working with a low system requirement engine like Godot, is that you can use an old laptop to bang out a prototype of the less sexy(but still vital) stuff like key rebinding , even when you are away from your main computer for a few days.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Super Foul Egg posted:

Why are you being so rude about your procedural Hans Zimmer soundtrack?

To be clear, the bug previously was that you'd be blasting away with your foghorn, then one of those little AA lasers would decide it wanted to go "bzz" and would cut the foghorn off. That is clearly a critical issue that needs to be fixed pronto :v:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hel posted:

Got to say that one of the benefits of working with a low system requirement engine like Godot, is that you can use an old laptop to bang out a prototype of the less sexy(but still vital) stuff like key rebinding , even when you are away from your main computer for a few days.

I haven't yet put Godot Engine on my Steam Deck but at some point I'm sure gonna. It'll be both the development environment and the main export target!

Though I got half a day into a simple 3D voxel greybox and ran into a year-old physics bug. That's been a bit disheartening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Nothin' major but it's the first time I've bothered to actually animate a walking sprite instead of just having them bob up and down or whatever :kiddo:
Part of the reason all of my characters are weird aliens is because lmao at the idea of trying to get human animations down, with this I can just say "they're a big headed grey alien who walks with a weird swagger"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 8, 2022