Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Discussion Quorum posted:

So did something specific trigger the wave of resignations, or did one minister call time and then the rest suddenly found their spines? The no-confidence vote was a month ago.

As a colonial I am aware that BoJo is taking a lot of heat for his "work-related" covid cocktail parties but it's not like people are just now, today, realizing that he's a shitbag, I assume.

he hired a dude knowing said dude had a history of formal complaints of the groping nature against him, lied to everyone about it and sent his ministers out to defend him on false pretences

they were understandably loving livid when they found out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

BoJo will be fine, no one in the UK has a response for demands to resign being met with "lol piss off"

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Mr. Nice! posted:

The denial question was about vigilante truck dude who totaled his vehicle repeatedly ramming the stolen one from behind.

I think that would fall under "technically this is not covered but we're gonna allow it rather than make a stink denying coverage to the one guy who tried to actually stop the dude before he hurt anyone else because the cops did not."

Sorry, misunderstood. Those situations are always weird. Yes, intentional acts are specifically excluded...but there's a difference between rammed your car into another car because your mad at someone and rammed your car into another car because you were afraid for your life and needed to get away. The former is an easy denial assuming the evidence supports it was intentional (usually comes down to the police report but I've had people admit it) and the latter which is a judgement call, my company tends towards covering those. Vigilante truck guy ramming Mr. GTA multiple times is questionable, I would lean towards denying if he wasn't in danger, but I'd run it up the chain at least two or three steps before making the final call.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

he hired a dude knowing said dude had a history of formal complaints of the groping nature against him, lied to everyone about it and sent his ministers out to defend him on false pretences

they were understandably loving livid when they found out

https://twitter.com/EsotericCD/status/1544719063192059909

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/05/world/europe/chris-pincher-boris-johnson.html

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1544795598838272007

Levelling Up

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

shame on an IGA posted:

BoJo will be fine, no one in the UK has a response for demands to resign being met with "lol piss off"

Here's how it's been explained to me.

The Tories have a "1922 Committee" that's there to represent the rank-and-file MPs ("backbenchers", who are members of the House of Commons but don't have specific executive positions in Johnson's administration) to the Prime Minister. They make the rules over when a party leader can be subjected to a Vote of Confidence by the membership and a new party leader elected, who would become the new Prime Minister.

Currently the Conservative party rules under the 1922 Committee state that if they hold a VoC and the party leader makes it through, they can't hold another one for a year. BoJo just survived a Vote of Confidence a short time ago, but with 59% - a result that would ordinarily make a party leader resign in shame anyway. (BoJo has no shame, though.)

Now, the 1922 Committee could change that rule so that he could be subjected to another Vote of Confidence, but the current head of the committee said that he's not going to do that. So that's that, right?

Well, no. The current committee's tenure is up and there will be a new one seated Monday. It's entirely possible, maybe even likely, that the incoming 1922 Committee will go ahead and change the rule so that they can throw Johnson out on his rear end.

This whole thing has been hugely entertaining to me.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
England is loving stupid

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

maffew buildings posted:

England is loving stupid

Not disagreeing with you but I'm not sure we USians ought to be throwing that particular stone from our decidedly glassy house.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
If you're not going to throw stones at the English relentlessly no matter what then what the gently caress are you even doing as an American

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Not disagreeing with you but I'm not sure we USians ought to be throwing that particular stone from our decidedly glassy house.

*nods, looks at hand which contains gigantic stone, shrugs, tosses stone at ceiling.....cackles*

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Daily Mail ran this headline:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The US system creates less democratic results, sure, but the procedural absurdity of UK politics is more like if the Senate was My Little Pony themed. Just centuries of weird roleplay that these grown people take seriously.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Not gonna lie watching England be dumb as gently caress makes me feel less poo poo about our own situation for a few.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Huh. Well, regardless of insurance paying out to DUI drivers or people arsoning their own property, they still loving suck.

maffew buildings posted:

If you're not going to throw stones at the English relentlessly no matter what then what the gently caress are you even doing as an American

Enjoying taskmaster and Cats does countdown.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

If you going to throw stones you mustn't forget dear Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICxswXG87lI

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Platystemon posted:

The Daily Mail ran this headline:

The Sun:

https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1544799194032087040?t=1iaWXVUm3pZbYsUI5uWBMw&s=19

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
watching a different empire's government violently poo poo itself everywhere has been a nice change. misery loves company

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Man, England has some weird traditions.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Something something
The Man in the mirror nods his head

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/HackBlackburn/status/1544658518162161664

Dunno about that, but it would be funny.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Dear QEII

Please dismiss Bojo as your last act before passing on to play with your corgs forevermore

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Dear QEII

Please dismiss Bojo as your last act before passing on to play with your corgs forevermore

She's already dead. Time to weekend at bernies this.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Here’s security footage from the Georgia Guidestones showing the explosion

https://files.catbox.moe/y2rkal.mp4

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Eh still mostly standing. 3/10

E: I know they tore the rest down

Soul Dentist fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 7, 2022

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Time Crisis Actor posted:

So they probably got the culprit on (lovely) video, too.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Time Crisis Actor posted:

:mediocre:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

So they probably got the culprit on (lovely) video, too.

It's probably government sponsored or at very least endorsed.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

CainFortea posted:

She's already dead. Time to weekend at bernies this.

Given how Boris’ last crisis was swallowed up by the Ukraine invasion, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Queen kicks it just before he turns in his resignation.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Elon Musk had secret twins with some executive at one of his companies lol

e: they were born within a couple weeks of his second with grimes which probably explains why that relationship went the way it did

e2: he's just trying to make up for the low US birthrate that he was posting about!

fknlo fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 7, 2022

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

fknlo posted:

Elon Musk had secret twins with some executive at one of his companies lol

e: they were born within a couple weeks of his second with grimes which probably explains why that relationship went the way it did

e2: he's just trying to make up for the low US birthrate that he was posting about!

Yikes that’s #9. The only upside is there’s another 8 to disown him.

https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1544823850885586948?s=24&t=VG08uDYOiop5h9VncDGMKw

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Larry is a fine name for a cat

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
he also plans on putting her in charge of twitter when the sale is complete.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Thwomp posted:

Given how Boris’ last crisis was swallowed up by the Ukraine invasion, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Queen kicks it just before he turns in his resignation.

Dang that would absorb every molecule of UK press coverage for a month and give him enough time to move on. So that makes it a near guarantee. Hope they fixed that window the 1980s palace intruder used.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I'll be happy to fly to any airport and open a vein on arrival to facilitate this.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

watching a different empire's government violently poo poo itself everywhere has been a nice change. misery loves company

Russia's one-two combo victory. They can get thumped in Ukraine and still go down as winners until the end of history forty years or so, lol for irreversibly knocking the US and UK off their places in the global hegemony.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Midjack posted:

Russia's one-two combo victory. They can get thumped in Ukraine and still go down as winners until the end of history forty years or so, lol for irreversibly knocking the US and UK off their places in the global hegemony.

Their warfighting game is a D average at best but you cannot fault their Information warfare

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Is there any way this British Prime Minister conflict can make the Irish Reunification of 2024 happen? Like, does the queen interceding hit any kind of big reset button, I hope?

Maybe some kind of referendum happens and because the voting machines aren't up to EU standards they prefer to further breakaway.

Lake of Methane fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 7, 2022

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Milo and POTUS posted:

Larry is a fine name for a cat

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Lake of Methane posted:

Is there any way this British Prime Minister conflict can make the Irish Reunification of 2024 happen? Like, does the queen interceding hit any kind of big reset button, I hope?

Maybe some kind of referendum happens and because the voting machines aren't up to EU standards they prefer to further breakaway.

You can read other books than star trek you know. Please i beg you

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

Boris Johnson will resign as Conservative leader today

Chris Mason

Political editor

Boris Johnson will resign as Conservative leader today - he will continue as Prime Minister until the autumn.

A Conservative leadership race will take place this summer and a new Prime Minister will be in place in time for the Tory party conference in October.

I hope he tries to tweet through it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
surprising nobody whatsoever https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1544969748420694018