Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Never heard of Invisible Inc, but it's $5 right now so I bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
If I bounced off Into The Breach hard, is Invisibles Inc worth a try? Apparently I bought it ages ago.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
It's a totally different feel than ITB, definitely worth a try.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Invisible Inc is an odd game to describe my opinion on. For me every level ends with a rush of relief that the tension is over rather than joy that the challenge was overcome. Gameplay with high time pressure just inherently saps the creative fun and that game is built entirely upon doing that. I played it to completion and don't recall having high points of fun but I still appreciated how well it slow ramps the time pressure. It's got a way better soft time limit than say X Com 2's frustrating bullshit hard limit.

Also I expect a certain emphasis towards combat in my tactics games and Invisible Inc heavily dissuades you from combat. This makes all the combat characters extremely under powered to the point I would reset a run if I got one. Thinking back on it I can see how Into the breach actively acting on your enemies was more satisfying that Invisible Inc's avoiding the enemies.

Even after getting command of the mechanics and understanding of what it wanted to do it Invisible Inc just wasn't my thing. I can see how others could appreciate it though.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I adore Invisible Inc and it's one of those everlasting games that where I'll go back and play a run once or twice a year regardless of what's on my plate. Correct that direct combat is definitely not emphasized, but I don't view that as a bad thing at all because you have a bunch of tools for sidestepping it and ghosting missions entirely. I don't know why you'd need to reset because you got a combat oriented person though, they're never (that I recall?) less capable than other ones, they just might not have a special skill you get much use out of. I guess there's the cyborg guy that stinks if you get him late in a run because his whole thing is he's scary after a bunch of implants you won't have time to get.

The way armor works is kind of a bummer -- if you don't have a couple AP weapons by end game you might well be hosed -- but overall it absolutely scratches a similar tactical itch as into the breach for me. A lot of real sweaty palms moments where you skirt a guard by two tiles or do convoluted action chains to barely squeak by without knocking anyone out because you can't afford to take the time to deal with the body.

E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJr8yI-q8AA

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 28, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Goddamn, I really appreciate the Invisible Inc love ITT; I mentioned it in the Switch thread when it was released on that platform, and no one seemed to like it or care :smith:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Nothing, absolutely loving nothing, has ever in my life been as satisfying as seeing a mission in Invisible Inc go to poo poo, everyone going loud, guards going nuts, multiple agents down, and managing to run scenarios in my head and producing a solution that drags everyone, bleeding and laden with mission loot, to the extraction point. I am a literal god. Lesser beings cower before my brain.

Honestly the getting bad agents thing never really applies to me because I like to keep the team lean in the first place. Two agents can be kitted the gently caress out. Three is nice if the cash flow is very good and you want to get a lot of stuff done very fast but two agents, the two you choose and so will have special skills that you like, is all you ever really need. But yeah, even the "bad" characters are massively valuable just as warm bodies. It sucks to pick up Derek at a detention centre because he comes without the doodad that lets his gimmick work, but, well, he can still sneak, and hack, and clobber guards, so who cares.

The thing about it is that it's the only game I've ever known to gracefully integrate failure conditions and reasonable AI into a stealth game loop. Guards go on alert permanently and you just have to deal with that. Things will go to poo poo eventually and your job is to get out before it does while getting as much done as you can. Turnaround for a run is long enough to get invested but short enough to enjoy repeating. And the game is like Into The Breach in that enemies moves are known, if you know where they are.

I streamed and recorded the ironman run that got me the platinum. It was very fun.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
another game that hits the same parts of my brain as itb is Slice & Dice (thread, android store, itch.io). if you're reading this thread in 2022, you should def give the demo a try

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fedule posted:

I streamed and recorded the ironman run that got me the platinum. It was very fun.

I would very much like to see this.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Re: Invisible Inc: Biggest thrill I get from tactical games is successfully recovering from an error. I don't have nearly as much fun playing games that require errorless play. For me, I always get to a point in Invisible Inc where my skill just isn't high enough to play errorlessly or I make too many mistakes, and the thrill is replaced by stress. But up to that point, it's one of my faves.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 28, 2022

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

redleader posted:

another game that hits the same parts of my brain as itb is Slice & Dice (thread, android store, itch.io). if you're reading this thread in 2022, you should def give the demo a try

Slice & Dice is extremely good and everyone should go buy it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I didn't play too much Invisible Inc because the base game (as I understand it) is about my ideal length and the expansion adds another half that I couldn't figure out if I could turn off, but I liked what I played. I keep meaning to go back and look into the settings.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Bruceski posted:

I didn't play too much Invisible Inc because the base game (as I understand it) is about my ideal length and the expansion adds another half that I couldn't figure out if I could turn off, but I liked what I played. I keep meaning to go back and look into the settings.

There should be a switch for it in the difficulty selection menu on the console ports or you can just uninstall it on PC.

In the base game there are 72 hours worth of missions (each mission deducting 6-12 hours depending on proximity) before the final mission. With the Contingency Pack active, after the 72 there's an interim mission followed by 48 hours of missions, then the end. The DLC adds a bunch of stuff as well as the extended campaign and as far as I know it's all or nothing.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I would very much like to see this.

Knock yourself out. Be warned; I go slow because I'm also trying to talk whoever was watching (at least three people were watching, I swear) through the game, and also trying not to die of a heart attack live on air. E: regrettably, the first stream, which ended in hilarious failure on day 2, is forever lost to time, so the playlist begins with stream 2

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Fedule posted:

Knock yourself out. Be warned; I go slow because I'm also trying to talk whoever was watching (at least three people were watching, I swear) through the game, and also trying not to die of a heart attack live on air. E: regrettably, the first stream, which ended in hilarious failure on day 2, is forever lost to time, so the playlist begins with stream 2

Hooray! I remember... This game being competent, but too tense for me to enjoy properly.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Samovar posted:

Hooray! I remember... This game being competent, but too tense for me to enjoy properly.

Haha. Tension.

All this prompted me to rewatch some of my playthrough and my god. That second video (stream 3) is like, three entire missions of multiple turns of being completely certain the run is toast, and it's all from making huge dumb stupid moron mistakes under pressure of the Ironman run. Quoting myself: I am the world's worst operator for getting into these situations; I am the world's best operator for getting out of them.

Invisible Inc and Into The Breach are the only games that have made me feel like that kind of genius, although Breach manages it without having to wait for me to gently caress up hilariously first. Breach lets you flex the galaxy brain muscles even while on top of things, while Invisible Inc tends to only get really demanding when little mistakes start compounding and everything goes to hell.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I love just staring at a turn for 10-30 minutes just wondering how the hell I'm ever going to pull it off. Then when it clicks, you get the satisfaction of the execution and get to do it all over again.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I hope the new squads are all unlocked from the start, I don't enjoy the mechanic of needing to get a certain amount of Achievements to unlock squads.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
nth-ing the Invisible Inc love. It came out around the same time as Shadowrun Returns, and it just feels so much more Shadowrunny to me. Klei makes good games.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
P pumped, 10 more days right

Item Getter posted:

I hope the new squads are all unlocked from the start, I don't enjoy the mechanic of needing to get a certain amount of Achievements to unlock squads.

Yeah really since I already 100% everything else lol

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Cmon you bastards, it’s the 19th in Australia and it’s been the 19th in NZ for hours, gimme my free expansion already

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
1- First Furi, now this? A welcome surprise!
2- 15 new Secret achievement's been uploaded to gog galaxy.
3- Jumped back, in preperation, and drat - I used to be much better at this game!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Gun Jam posted:

3- Jumped back, in preperation, and drat - I used to be much better at this game!
Same.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Had 55 achievements a while ago, but in anticipation of the new expansion I finished collecting gold for all teams & island numbers over the last couple of weeks. And finally got my 30K this morning. Bring it on!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I can only hope smight revisits his lp of this to touch on the dlc because I'm very not good at this game but I like watching people who are good at it.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

ZeusCannon posted:

I can only hope smight revisits his lp of this to touch on the dlc because I'm very not good at this game but I like watching people who are good at it.

He said he's certainly going to play it on stream, so there's that at least.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Uh, when I started up the game, it said the last time it updated was in '20 - and I didn't see anything about it updating in Steam... anyone know what that could be about?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Samovar posted:

Uh, when I started up the game, it said the last time it updated was in '20 - and I didn't see anything about it updating in Steam... anyone know what that could be about?

the thing's not out yet

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There was a 2020 patch that added localizations, updated the backend code, added touch-screen implementation for PC, and made all weapons in the store cost 1 reputation instead of 2 with a random one chosen to be on sale for 1.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

oh boy, something new to do

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

the thing's not out yet

Dang. Sorry, saw new posts and people talking about the game and jumped the gun.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Samovar posted:

Dang. Sorry, saw new posts and people talking about the game and jumped the gun.

Should only be like 4 more hours till its out so you were close

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Just got a 200meg update

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Wow I suck at the Mist Eaters.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I just took 80 minutes to get a perfect first island with my first Bombermechs run. My brain is scrambled. They've got an even swappier swapmech, but only one source of pushes.

Also, gently caress moths.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Oh man, I apparently now suck at this game. I started a playthrough on my phone, so I'm starting over from scratch. I managed to get my starting pilot killed in my second mission. It's going well!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The kill 5 enemies or fewer objective sucks rear end. Otherwise the new mechs are cool. Glad this game got an update.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lemony posted:

Oh man, I apparently now suck at this game. I started a playthrough on my phone, so I'm starting over from scratch. I managed to get my starting pilot killed in my second mission. It's going well!

First mission for me. Just absolutely biffed the entire thing.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

The kill 5 enemies or fewer objective sucks rear end. Otherwise the new mechs are cool. Glad this game got an update.

Yeah, that objective needs to go. Terrible idea.

I like the armored train missions the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

failed my first "unfair" run with rusting hulks on a new account within 2 turns :D

was on my phone and wasn't in a place to sit back and think but can confirm it's hard as poo poo.

I dunno if this is a change in the game or just unfair, but start with 0% chance to resist grid damage :O

like the new pilot upgrades though!