Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I want to know how he got the money inside the cans. They are not trivial to open and re-seal, and adding a foreign object to a can before resealing seems like a major food safety hazard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

withak posted:

I want to know how he got the money inside the cans. They are not trivial to open and re-seal, and adding a foreign object to a can before resealing seems like a major food safety hazard.

Yeah I really liked 90% of the show but man this ending annoyed me. Deux Ex Spaghettina

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I thought the first season was pretty mid anyway but the drop it took afterwards i didnt even bother to stick around. Most of the promise was really Darabont for me.

I didn't think it was great, but not mid either. It certainly held some potential and then... hoo boy.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

withak posted:

There were 330k payments made from the restaurant to “KLB” which was printed on the bottom of the cans, so it was some kind of money laundering scheme with the sauce company.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
My interpretation is that Mikey was laundering money for the mobster uncle then when he died the uncle couldn't find the money cuz Mikey hid it in the cans so it became a 330k debt.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The restaurant taking Shady Uncle’s dirty money and giving it back as clean money from the register paid to a partner might work, but hiding it in tomato cans seems unnecessarily elaborate. But I’m not a money launderer so what do I know.

That would still have to leave Shady Uncle as some kind of official legal partner/shareholder even after the brother died though, not just an undocumented creditor.

withak fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 6, 2022

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Medullah posted:

Watched all of The Bear this weekend. Man, it's great, but Hulu needs to not have it classified as comedy. It's definitely drama.

Yeah, just started watching it and it’s good. I’m getting serious Terriers/Lodge 49 vibes though, I don’t think they know how to market it and it’s probably going to get 2 seasons max.

mystes
May 31, 2006

withak posted:

The restaurant taking Shady Uncle’s dirty money and giving it back as clean money from the register paid to a partner might work, but hiding it in tomato cans seems unnecessarily elaborate. But I’m not a money launderer so what do I know.

That would still have to leave Shady Uncle as some kind of official legal partner/shareholder even after the brother died though, not just an undocumented creditor.

Since the payments for the tomato cans appear to be on the books, it would be the opposite of this.

The borrowed money would be clean money and the tomato company would be taking those payments on the books and sending back cash obtained off the books in the tomato cans. By doing this, the tomato company would be converting off-the-books money to on-the-books money by receiving the payments as payments for tomato cans on the books. The restaurant could be evading taxes by doing this if they would have otherwise had profits, or they might just be doing it as a favor for the tomato can company if it was trying to launder cash obtained illegally. It's theoretically possible the uncle was in on it but then he would presumably just look for the tomato cans.

The weird thing about this explanation is that it would make the ending almost like an anti-cliffhanger where they're probably actually going to be extremely hosed the second the next season starts if there is another season, but it's presented as if everything is ok

mystes fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 6, 2022

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Sirotan posted:

I've tried I think 4 times to watch True Blood in it's entirety but I always seem to tap out once Bill turns into vampire Jesus. First three seasons are so loving good tho.

I enjoyed the first half of series, but the show gets really bad in the back half of the series. So much for me that it ruins the whole thing to me (just like Dexter).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nate fisher posted:

I enjoyed the first half of series, but the show gets really bad in the back half of the series. So much for me that it ruins the whole thing to me (just like Dexter).

the back half really ruins a bunch of good characters for no reason too

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m watching the Julia child show on hbo max

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Medullah posted:

Haha Evil is so loving bizarre. The Angel wormhole was so dumb yet amazing

I just started it, and 6 episodes in I'm getting Sleepy Hollow vibes, which is an extremely good thing. It feels like it's only a matter of time before the procedural format takes a backseat to just absolute nuttiness.

None of the leads are as good as Nicole Beharie and Tom Mison tho.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 6, 2022

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I watched a few episodes of Barry and it's weird, I didn't care that he was murdering people, but when he started going all Nice Guy on that girl a few episodes in I hated his character with my whole heart and stopped watching

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

ymgve posted:

I watched a few episodes of Barry and it's weird, I didn't care that he was murdering people, but when he started going all Nice Guy on that girl a few episodes in I hated his character with my whole heart and stopped watching

That's a fine reaction to have but I think it's mitigated by Sally herself being an absolutely horrible person. She's just better at concealing it. Pretty much everyone in Barry is a total piece of poo poo- I think that's part of the joke.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Barry's kind of like American Psycho imo, it's about a super hosed up character but then the horror comes from the culture around him that completely enables and rewards insanity

Also it's very funny

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

That's a fine reaction to have but I think it's mitigated by Sally herself being an absolutely horrible person. She's just better at concealing it. Pretty much everyone in Barry is a total piece of poo poo- I think that's part of the joke.

Noho Hank is a saint I'll have you know

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

ymgve posted:

Yea you definitely are not supposed to like him. Show is amazing though.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

yeah they really dial up his unlikeability in the newest season

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
From what I understand it's a direct result of Bill Hader's frustration that people were missing the point.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I think you are all right. He sucks and they all suck. They become accepting of each other at comically incompatible intervals, each do horrible things, and the scenarios are ridiculous. The show has some of the most surprisingly great action set pieces, too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

Noho Hank is a saint I'll have you know

and he is very smart and handsome too!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Henry winkler is worth it even if you find bill hader kinda wooden

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I found it interesting that Barry kills a "good" cop to cover up.

I kind of equated it to Dexter and Doakes. Good foil? what to do what to do.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Saw the first ep of Irma Vep and I’d much rather watch the comic book movie she promotes at the beginning of the show, that looked sick

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

frogbs posted:

Yeah, just started watching it and it’s good. I’m getting serious Terriers/Lodge 49 vibes though, I don’t think they know how to market it and it’s probably going to get 2 seasons max.

Ok, finished The Bear today. The last two episodes are great. Go watch it! Really hope it gets renewed.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

nate fisher posted:

dexter is my go-to "why did they keep making more seasons" show. didn't they just reboot it too??

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Glottis posted:

I think you are all right. He sucks and they all suck. They become accepting of each other at comically incompatible intervals, each do horrible things, and the scenarios are ridiculous. The show has some of the most surprisingly great action set pieces, too.

That car chase in the last season was so goddamn good.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

From what I understand it's a direct result of Bill Hader's frustration that people were missing the point.

Is he really surprised that the main character of a show that is full absurdist humor is the one that people root for? The show is so far detached from reality and absurd they have made it easy to do this no matter what Barry does. Hell the show leans into this, so I don’t get the complaint. I know Barry gets compared a lot to Breaking Bad, but this is not truly a Walter White situation.

Lazy_Liberal posted:

dexter is my go-to "why did they keep making more seasons" show. didn't they just reboot it too??

More a sequel and I think I watched only 3 episodes before dropping it.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Also, the writers and producers of shows should absolutely not take audience reaction into account when writing their stories. If some of the audience isn't getting it, then congratulations you've actually done a good job.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

That car chase in the last season was so goddamn good.

Yeah. Went into the show knowing Bill Hader was funny. Didn't know he was such a good director.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Alright I'm done with The Boys it started better than the comic and ended season 3 as lovely as the comic

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Yea it was totally forgettable this season. I already forgot

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
It was a pretty blah season, it was fine for background noise but I wouldn't recommend it to people.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
America-The Motion Picture on Netflix is fuckin stupid and hilarious and insane and I love it

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Saw the first ep of Irma Vep and I’d much rather watch the comic book movie she promotes at the beginning of the show, that looked sick

It's an odd idea, Irma Vep. Take an obscure, getting by on vibe, piece of arthouse from 20 years ago and ... turn it into a TV series?

And let me be clear, I liked the movie, but it's practically the poster child for moody insubstantial French arthouse that's about nothing.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

I'm very sad that Joe Pera Talks With You was canceled. If anyone hasn't read it, he posted a letter that reads exactly like an episode. https://joepera.com/jptwy/

Does anyone have any recommendations for a similar vibe? How To With John Wilson is good and enjoyable, also excited for the new Nathan Fielder show, but yea just looking for any other ideas.

If anyone hasn't watched it, I encourage you to give it a try.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Is there no hope that someone like Netflix will sweep in and pick up Joe Pera? I mean, it's 10 minutes an episode, and it's not exactly full of stunts or SFX. With respect, it can't be the most expensive TV ever to be produced.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
After reading that letter, I'm confident he could do a 10-minute audio show, maybe a dozen of them in a "season" with breaks in between, and make bank.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah that's bullshit. If they brought back tuca and bertie (which is...fine, im much lower on it than most people) then SOMEBODY can resurrect the pera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I really tried to like tuca and Bertie but I just, idk it was fine, the art was really cool but the pacing just turned me off or something. I’m happy for the fans