Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Russia plans to conduct a naval invasion of Alaska. Which would probably have a more suicidally resistant population than ukraine as there's less to do in Alaska than Ukraine.

I'm finding some great humor trying to imagine just how much time and money it would take Russia to launch an effective invasion of Alaska, without nukes of course.

I'm ballparking it around a couple trillion USD, and about a century of training, R&D and manufacturing time from where they are now.

It would likely be easier to take Mars.

edit: sorry for a rather silly post for top of the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Russia plans to conduct a naval invasion of Alaska. Which would probably have a more suicidally resistant population than ukraine as there's less to do in Alaska than Ukraine.

With how things have been going for them, there'd probably be at least a few Russian soldiers that'd end up mauled by bears, too.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Bloody Pom posted:

With how things have been going for them, there'd probably be at least a few Russian soldiers that'd end up mauled by bears, too.

https://i.imgur.com/YS7CulS.mp4

Imagine this but the truck has a Z spraypainted on it

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Russia won't be invading Alaska, they are currently still invading Ukraine so let's keep talking about that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nenonen posted:

No. All BMP's and tanks etc. have overpressure based NBC protection. But that is a far cry from having air conditioning. During cold war that wasn't given much thought because the main theatres for armoured conflict were thought to be in moderate climates where having a heating system was a bigger issue during winter. I remember that in 1990's it was reported that Australia installed air conditioning in their Leopards. And of course the US wars in Iraq and Afghanistan put focus on the matter.

But as for the T-62? Could be abandoned or just temporarily empty or occupied with hatches open, there is nothing in the video that tells us what its previous condition is. Tank crews don't spend 24/7 inside their vehicle.

Whether it was already abandoned or not, it's still a T-62M scratched off the list - better destroyed than left to be recovered, and proof they're sending museum pieces to the front line

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Bloody Pom posted:

We should probably take the kuznetsov afterwards and convert it into bear habitat and give the polar bears a home to replace their shrinking habitat. Plus I feel like polar bears would be much better at defending their interests if they had a navy

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

NTRabbit posted:

Whether it was already abandoned or not, it's still a T-62M scratched off the list - better destroyed than left to be recovered, and proof they're sending museum pieces to the front line

It's not really destroyed until it burns or is visibly deformed. But more to the point, there are some four men to whom it is literally a matter of life and death if it was occupied at the time!

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Nenonen posted:

It's not really destroyed until it burns or is visibly deformed. But more to the point, there are some four men to whom it is literally a matter of life and death if it was occupied at the time!

A grenade blowing up inside the tank sounds like something that would absolutely wreck all the internal gear. I'm not a tanker though so I may be underestimating their hardiness. But it seemed like a pretty big boom.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Keisari posted:

A grenade blowing up inside the tank sounds like something that would absolutely wreck all the internal gear. I'm not a tanker though so I may be underestimating their hardiness. But it seemed like a pretty big boom.

Smaller the space, bigger the boom. That tank won't be going anywhere.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Keisari posted:

It will need repairs for sure, but if it doesn't catch fire and especially if the ammo doesn't cook off then there's nothing irreversible done. A hand grenade has only so much explosive filler and the hatches were open so it's not a fully closed space.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Nenonen posted:

It will need repairs for sure, but if it doesn't catch fire and especially if the ammo doesn't cook off then there's nothing irreversible done. A hand grenade has only so much explosive filler and the hatches were open so it's not a fully closed space.

Well A hatch was open. The others were promptly blown open.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Young Freud posted:

I thought the air conditioning had more to do with the NBC protection. Like, if you're going to be bottled up in a tank in a post-nuclear battlefield to keep from getting irradiated, you're going to need something to recirculate the air inside the tank anyway. There's not much difference between a HVAC and an air filtration system.

There's also compliance. Maybe you order people to keep their hatches shut in enemy territory, but if they have AC they're more likely to actually follow that order.
Similar to how british AFVs all have kettles - if you can't have a brew-up without getting out then the crew are going to get out to have a brew-up and you can't stop them. So put a kettle on the inside so they can have tea without exposing themselves.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The Lone Badger posted:

Similar to how british AFVs all have kettles - if you can't have a brew-up without getting out then the crew are going to get out to have a brew-up and you can't stop them. So put a kettle on the inside so they can have tea without exposing themselves.

Oh, so that's why US submarines had ice-cream makers on them.

Makes me wonder what creature comforts the Russian tanks are equipped with. Patriotic USSR choir songs, I'm guessing.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

At least Airforce could tap into pure ethanol running in hydraulic lines of some planes.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

saratoga posted:

Google says it was 91F yesterday in kharkiv , and the T62M is a 60 year old tank with no air conditioning. The hatches being left open doesn't mean the tank is empty.

Also a tank being empty doesn't mean it was abandoned. The majority of these grenade drone videos are of vehicles that have been parked near buildings that the crews are resting in. It's still an important equipment kill assuming it wasn't already beyond repair.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

She doesn't look like much, but she's Ukrainian.

https://mobile.twitter.com/markito0171/status/1544941352139558913

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Despite being basically a demolition site, that is such a middle finger to the Russians, drat.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

nimby posted:

Makes me wonder what creature comforts the Russian tanks are equipped with.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

nimby posted:

Oh, so that's why US submarines had ice-cream makers on them.

Makes me wonder what creature comforts the Russian tanks are equipped with. Patriotic USSR choir songs, I'm guessing.

they have an extremely robust heating system in emergencies

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

nimby posted:

They do have some cool features that not even NATO tanks have like the auto loader that automatically removes excess/superfluous fingers

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Ukraine is apparently operating 9 himars now?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Ukraine is apparently operating 9 himars now?

Is that an increase or decrease?

Unconfirmed report was they had lost one a few days ago (hope it's just russian disinfo).

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Boris Johnson resigned as leader of the Conservatives. I wonder if the new leader/Prime Minster will continue the same level of support for Ukraine.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr. Apollo posted:

Boris Johnson resigned as leader of the Conservatives. I wonder if the new leader/Prime Minster will continue the same level of support for Ukraine.

Only resigned as leader of Tories. He remains the prime minister, and will likely participate in the next week’s leadership election, probably remaining the caretaker PM for several more months even if he loses that.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Just Another Lurker posted:

Is that an increase or decrease?

Unconfirmed report was they had lost one a few days ago (hope it's just russian disinfo).

number was 4 ~ a week ago

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mr. Apollo posted:

Probably way less flashy declarations and visits that were made to deflect scandals, but I dont see general stance changing unless some ghoul overloaded with Russian money takes reigns.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Also Wallace is likely to remain through whatever happens, he seems to be perfectly content with chairing defence ministry in quiet.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Only resigned as leader of Tories. He remains the prime minister, and will likely participate in the next week’s leadership election, probably remaining the caretaker PM for several more months even if he loses that.

He can't participate in the leadership election, and there is a lot of pressure to force him out even from the caretaker role.

Ukraine wise, it doesn't really matter. The current policy is wildly popular across the political board. Even if the Conservatives run an election and lose, Ukraine will still receive UK equipment.

Edit: UK thread has noted that he's been extremely ambitious as to whether we actually have a situation that he can't run in the selection. May be about to get very funny in the UK.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 7, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/samramani2/status/1545022493739679744

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
By and large the people of UK have a lot of love for Ukraine (and Poland, Baltics etc). The support won't change and if someone came in and said gently caress this, it would be an election suicide.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Tai posted:

By and large the people of UK have a lot of love for Ukraine (and Poland, Baltics etc). The support won't change and if someone came in and said gently caress this, it would be an election suicide.

They love Eastern Europeans as long as they stay in Eastern Europe. Fortunately, they really love the idea of giving the Eastern Europeans guns to kill Russians in Eastern Europe.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

This is certainly a take on Johnsons situation. I hope Dmitri exaggerate when he says most Russians think like this. I mean I wouldn't blame them if they do considering their own country's politics.
https://twitter.com/mdmitri91/status/1544967885361233920

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

GABA ghoul posted:

They do have some cool features that not even NATO tanks have like the auto loader that automatically removes excess/superfluous fingers

There are lots of arguments to be made for why retaining a manual loader in a tank is the better option. For example, a manual loader allows for better compartmentalization of ammunition, which makes catastrophic loss on a penetration (like the ones we see repeatedly on Russian tanks) far less likely.

From what I understand there is still active debate about this regarding future upgrades to, and potential replacements, for the M1.

I think we will know a little more about the future of the US’s MBT in October when the full unclassified details of the M1A3 is released by General Dynamics, but as I recall the USDOD will be making decisions about future replacements for the Abrahams in late 2023 or early 2024–and as I recall about half of those designs maintain a manual loader.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Morrow posted:

They love Eastern Europeans as long as they stay in Eastern Europe. Fortunately, they really love the idea of giving the Eastern Europeans guns to kill Russians in Eastern Europe.

I imagine the cult of Churchill plays a role as well.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Atreiden posted:

This is certainly a take on Johnsons situation. I hope Dmitri exaggerate when he says most Russians think like this. I mean I wouldn't blame them if they do considering their own country's politics.

Yeah I think Dmitriy is embellishing his expertise here, this is merely a take of a certain class of “bottle intelligentsiya”.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
For the weird Russian nationalists, the ones that talk about the Zionist plots and Freemasons, UK is the biggest near enemy. They see UK the same way as they see Russia. That is both of them want to restore the empire.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

nimby posted:

Having lots of other tanks that may get shot at instead of you. At least they were designed to be made and used in large numbers, if your barebones BTG has two tanks to attack with it's not going to end well for you.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Atreiden posted:

Andrey Medvedev is a notorious moron, just like all of pro-Putin telegram bloggers.

Most of Russia doesnt have time to think about foreign governments and they just parrot the last thing they heard on tv or youtube. The people most concerned with geopolitics are bored security guards that listen to Soloviev for 12 hours daily.

Johnson was considered "ours" not so long ago because of Brexit.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Charlotte Hornets posted:

For the weird Russian nationalists, the ones that talk about the Zionist plots and Freemasons, UK is the biggest near enemy. They see UK the same way as they see Russia. That is both of them want to restore the empire.

They have something of an accidental point in that both UK and Russians are very confused by Ireland/Ukraine or Canada/Kazakhstan not rushing to be in their arms and to do what they want, except with the big difference of UK pretty much limiting itself to dumb editorials --- and who doesn't have dumb editorials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Andrey Medvedev is a notorious moron, just like all of pro-Putin telegram bloggers.

Most of Russia doesnt have time to think about foreign governments and they just parrot the last thing they heard on tv or youtube. The people most concerned with geopolitics are bored security guards that listen to Soloviev for 12 hours daily.

Johnson was considered "ours" not so long ago because of Brexit.

Crazy thing is he very much was Russia's. So were a lot of right-wing politicians across the western world. Ukraine gave them all a free pass to get out of the influence trap, and boost their popularity. I know I've said it before, but the near total loss of their soft power grip on all these politicians is possibly one of the bigger results of the war.