Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Too bad about the people who made this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Rolo posted:

Dude I like British beer what’s wrong with it?

Nice to get a break sometimes from America’s 24/7 obsession with IPA’s

There's fine beer from everywhere but griping about bitter IPAs being all the rage is like getting mad at hipsters and their drat man buns or this new "planking" trend.

The current fad is all about the NEIPAs and they're delicious. Try one of ya see it!

Here's some pics:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

We crossed the timelines. WE CROSSED. THE TIMELINES

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The LHC *did* just start back up.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Phanatic posted:

The LHC *did* just start back up.

They need to turn up the power more.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Every few words more questions were raised

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Cocaine Bear posted:

There's fine beer from everywhere but griping about bitter IPAs being all the rage is like getting mad at hipsters and their drat man buns or this new "planking" trend.

The current fad is all about the NEIPAs and they're delicious. Try one of ya see it!

I don’t hate bitter IPA’s but it’s 99% of the craft scene here. I remember being able to try different ales and maybe even a lager but now it’s double hazy, triple hazy, dipshit hazy, VCR rewind hazy or the local tropical smooth asshaze.

It’s been the craze for like 6 years now can we try making something different? I’m not counting seltzer.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I was under the impression IPA's are relatively easy to make more bitter by throwing more hops in. I figured here in Oregon that was the case as hops grows very well in this area.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

They are also very forgiving to make in general. Strong hops flavors can cover a lot of accidental off tastes.

A low taste american light lager macrobrew is a lot technically harder to make consistently because there's nothing to cover up any mistakes. Other styles have more cover, but nothing as much as a heavily hopped IPA

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

bottom one looks too clean to be an original vhs sticker

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Presumably they'd have title sequences with those spellings?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Android Apocalypse posted:

I was under the impression IPA's are relatively easy to make more bitter by throwing more hops in. I figured here in Oregon that was the case as hops grows very well in this area.

That and these science facts:

https://lagunitas.com/story/beereducation-dankfactor/#:~:text=Both%20hops%20and%20cannabis%20have,Enough%20of%20the%20science%20babble.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

People only make IPAs because they are lazy.

Making a lager, the platonic ideal of beer, is much more time consuming despite lagers being perceived as simple and basic.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Yeah IPAs are around a lot now because any second tier brewery can take the cheapest pale malt they can buy and chuck far too many hops in and call it a craft beer. Real beer styles like pales, milds, stouts, porters, etc, require actually understanding how to make beers nice with descent balance of flavours and how to brew them.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Drone_Fragger posted:

Yeah IPAs are around a lot now because any second tier brewery can take the cheapest pale malt they can buy and chuck far too many hops in and call it a craft beer. Real beer styles like pales, milds, stouts, porters, etc, require actually understanding how to make beers nice with descent balance of flavours and how to brew them.

Now any beer that has the word "ale" in its name has to be treated with suspicion, because the American IPA fad means every new one just assumed it meant you should hop it till it tastes like dish soap.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The worst part about American style IPA is its to be served cold. So you're adding a billion kilogramd of hops more than you need to only get 10% of the flavour becuase all the volatiles are nowhere near as flavoursome if they're chilled.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Cocaine Bear posted:

personal taste and all, but i hate the NEIPA with my life. cloudy glass of peach cum

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I really like a juicy/hazy IPA but otherwise get me a lager or wheat beer.

Also, beer snobs are annoying when it comes to domestics. When I'm chowing down on a greasy burger and fries, I want a beer that doesn't have a lot of flavor. Nothing is better than an ice cold domestic brewski at that time.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Have beer snobs reached the level of wine snobs yet?

By which I mean are they making poo poo up based on the label because they've fooled themselves they can taste the 'earthiness' of wine or some poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Hints of strained cat piss from the eastern end of the alley behind the pub.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Hints of strained cat piss from the eastern end of the alley behind the pub.
That's more of a pilsner thing, in my experience/opinion

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Drone_Fragger posted:

I like the fruity/herbal taste of the hops, though :shobon:

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Kwyndig posted:

Have beer snobs reached the level of wine snobs yet?

By which I mean are they making poo poo up based on the label because they've fooled themselves they can taste the 'earthiness' of wine or some poo poo.

I’m a brewer, and yes. And they love to tell you about their vast beer knowledge at festivals. Sometimes they like to educate me about beer I made, but that might be because I’m a woman and lack the international sign of being a brewer: being portly with a big beard.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

sounds like you should carry a big false beard and stomach to don when someone tries to educate you

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

sounds like you should carry a big false beard and stomach to don when someone tries to educate you

I'd approve of official trade costumes.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I like cold beer

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Huh... didn't see that coming.

https://i.imgur.com/LQu4Jo1.mp4

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
That may be, and I'm being 100% serious here, the single most engaging scene in the history of film.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Some science dropped for you all. Beer goes:

Pilsner
Lager
Stout
Porter
Non super hoppy/hazy ale

Everything else is just gross sour/sweet/bitter swill

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Scratch Monkey posted:

Some science dropped for you all. Beer goes:

Pilsner
Lager
Stout
Porter
Non super hoppy/hazy ale

Everything else is just gross sour/sweet/bitter swill

actually it turns out you've been drinking piss all this time, and you love it, you love to drink piss

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Scene: a hot summer day at the local outdoor beer garden

“Having fun drinking your ice cold pilsner, aka pee water, you peasant!”

* takes a sip of a warm hazy IPA that literally looks and smells like a sample cup full of piss *

“Ah so good!”

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lagering is just cold fermenting and conditioning. You can lager p much anything, including an IPA. IPA are a weird trend because the most expensive part of your ingredient list is the hops and more hops means a pricier beer. IPAs are so bitter because you toss in tons of hops at the start of your boil, which isomerises the apha acids creating the familiar bitter taste. A NEIPA just shifts the hops forward in the boil with far fewer bittering hops, meaning you get the aromas and fruity/floral flavours from the hops without the bitterness. So more hops doesn't necessarily mean more bitterness (you can make a bitter beer with 2 oz of hops and you can make sweet, fruity beers with 12+ oz of hops) but most bitter IPA do have tons of hops in em.

I think the IPA trend is partly just shifting palates/trend chasing and partly a response to people being sick of bland, flavourless lagers the big brewers put out.

We've also seen significant advancements in beer technology with tons of new yeast strains and hops coming into the homebrew and commercial scenes in the last ~20 years.

And the seltzer trend is just because people are too cowardly to flip off the government and build their own still.

It's a fun cheap hobby you can get started for under $100. Make beer and get drunk with your neighbours!

E: yeah home brewers are snobs but more in a "middle aged dad who takes his hobby way too seriously and has opinions about the capital gains tax" than "middle aged person who thinks less of you for enjoying merlot unironical and has opinions about the capital gains tax"

Content:

Cocaine Bear has a new favorite as of 13:47 on Jul 7, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

I don't remember this scene from Annihilation.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Robobot posted:

That may be, and I'm being 100% serious here, the single most engaging scene in the history of film.

I am pleased to inform you that you are wrong

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_pd63ioIcMT1vij12m.mp4

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Scholtz posted:

I really like a juicy/hazy IPA but otherwise get me a lager or wheat beer.

Also, beer snobs are annoying when it comes to domestics. When I'm chowing down on a greasy burger and fries, I want a beer that doesn't have a lot of flavor. Nothing is better than an ice cold domestic brewski at that time.

Same but when I’m drinking out of a funnel.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

wow anime existed before anime

e, this is better than any anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cocaine Bear posted:

Lagering is just cold fermenting and conditioning. You can lager p much anything, including an IPA.
If we can lager ales now we're gonna need some more precise terms.

Perhaps we could call the current normal ones India Pale Ales Not Any Lagered or IPANAL.