Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
C'mon Boris, you can still do it.

Do the press statement thing and announce a General Election in six weeks time instead of (or as well as) your resignation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

EvilHawk posted:

The BBC have been told and Downing Street have said he will make an announcement just before lunchtime.

Hoping that this has all been done without Boris' agreement and he makes a statement at lunch refusing to resign and asking people to march on No. 10.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Hoping that this has all been done without Boris' agreement and he makes a statement at lunch refusing to resign and asking people to march on No. 10.

Unfortunately the word is he already spoke to the 1922 committee to confirm his resignation.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

EvilHawk posted:

The BBC have been told and Downing Street have said he will make an announcement just before lunchtime.

BBC, Sky, Mirror, everyone at this point is the source.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yes I'm resigning... resigning myself to staying PM forever SUCKERS. Now I've got the front bench all to myself nobody can stop me.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Noxville posted:

Comedy option: Johnson isn’t going to resign, it’s people feeding this to the media to try and force his hand
I really hope it’s this though, I want him to walk out to that podium and calmly announce his intention to stay and finish the job

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm wondering if Boris actually knows that he's resigning today? He could still be asleep in an alcohol fuelled coma after last night's drinking binge.

e: lol, I wasn't the only person to think this. I should also refresh before posting.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So General election either late this year or early next?

Whoever wins will want to get in on the new leader bounce, and while the lies of "only I can fix the mistakes of Boris Johnson" works. Any longer than six months and their own scandles start creeping in and people will see nothing has changed.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Grey Hunter posted:

So General election either late this year or early next?

Whoever wins will want to get in on the new leader bounce, and while the lies of "only I can fix the mistakes of Boris Johnson" works. Any longer than six months and their own scandles start creeping in and people will see nothing has changed.

If Kier is fined then 100%, otherwise I dunno they might take a couple of years to try and get away from Boris's stench.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

:hmmyes:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
They'll film 2 speeches - a resignation speech, and a bravely staying on speech - and then intercut between the two speeches every few seconds to fully disorientate the viewer, just like Willem Defoe's interview scene in American Psycho

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
the most Johnson resignation possible

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Angepain posted:

https://twitter.com/DailyMailUK/status/1544799284733902852

I love them parading round the 14m figure, but then as a numbers nerd I might be assuming that "the uk population is like 60-70 million" is more common knowledge than it actually is
so is this the new "crush the saboteurs"?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

They'll film 2 speeches - a resignation speech, and a bravely staying on speech - and then intercut between the two speeches every few seconds to fully disorientate the viewer, just like Willem Defoe's interview scene in American Psycho
Then in 50 years time they'll reveal his private diary is half the American Psycho notebook and half the Mean Girls one.

"Michael Gove is a fugly bitch DO NOT trust him."

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
he's going to build the GB-ireland bridge and declare war on norway and build a fusion plant based on his understanding of what fusion power is and scenes from You Only Live Twice

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

"Michael Gove is a fugly bitch DO NOT trust him."

he's right though

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Boris is currently sacrificing a chicken to Baal in the hopes that he’ll get the Queen to die unexpectedly and remove all attention from him.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
This ends with Boris in charge of a Lib-Lab coalition in government.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Looking across the channel with bemusement.

So, how's Britain Trump doing?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Radio just said he's resigned as leader of the Tory party, not as prime minister.

I guess that's just technically the way it works.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Radio just said he's resigned as leader of the Tory party, not as prime minister.

I guess that's just technically the way it works.

It is. But now the Tories can name anyone they want as interim PM until a leadership election is complete. And since none of them will work with Johnson, it won't be him.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

maybe next time round we can collect all of the brexit emeralds

Convex fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 7, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is it "massive cock end" Roy?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Its maybe so he can say he lasted longer than May?

Well he can stop now, it's July already

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
he's absolutely going to un-resign given the smallest window of opportunity

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Seeing as he'll have no ministers or advisors to advise, could he poke a lovely stick at the Ukraine/Russia situation while Parliament is in recess, involve us militarily, and then invoke emergency powers to suspend democracy as Churchill did during WW2?

It would mean he'd still get to keep his free country mansion and all the trimmings.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Looking forward to his new role as permanent host of HIGNFY

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

the sex ghost posted:

Honestly it would be perfect - quarantine him somewhere that hasn't been relevant or funny in 20 years to spout all the nasty poo poo about bumboys and postboxes and whatnot as he wishes

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Senor Tron posted:

The classic Australian method is just for people to turn on the 6pm news and find out that the country unexpectedly has a new PM.

If only he'd take the true Australian method and disappear on a beach

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

the sex ghost posted:

I am looking forward for all his pathetics attempts to become prime minister again. I wonder how many people will die this time? :france: I mean, Ian Hislop and Paul Merton doesn't deserve that level of pain.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Will he do his resignation speech with or without Carrie by his side?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

BigglesSWE posted:

Someone please make sure Larry the cat is okay.

Also resigned.

https://twitter.com/richard_price2/status/1544966273695727619

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Honestly it would be perfect - quarantine him somewhere that hasn't been relevant or funny in 20 years to spout all the nasty poo poo about bumboys and postboxes and whatnot as he wishes

If Angus Deayton couldn't come back because of all the poo poo Hislop and Merton were giving him, imagine how Boris would manage.

I mean, it's a pleasant thought, but the Beeb aren't going to televise it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

If Angus Deayton couldn't come back because of all the poo poo Hislop and Merton were giving him, imagine how Boris would manage.

I mean, it's a pleasant thought, but the Beeb aren't going to televise it.

obviously he would sack them and run the show himself.

which might be an improvement

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lmao the perfect ending, you couldn't make it up

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
where are the tears gimme tears

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

Looking across the channel with bemusement.

So, how's Britain Trump doing?

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1544969620574060546

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I heard hes hosting 8 out of 10 Cabinet Ministers