Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

LOL this rules, I want 3 months pay from every job I quit after 36 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

ironically also the new manifesto

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Remember the golden rule, Boris: don't back down, double down. Don't back down, DOUBLE DOWN.

Boris pointing and screaming "you weren't loving there" at the entire press

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

re-e-sign, when the crowd says bo eject-ya

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's important for Britain to get their Johnson out

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
People need to keep a few things in mind:

1) Resigning as party leader isn't the same thing as resigning as Prime Minister. All Prime Ministers have stayed on as caretakers while their successor is elected.
2) Resigning as Prime Minister doesn't necessarily result in a General Election. If 'the Crown' (read: top civil servants in the government/palace who would decide what to do) believes there is a workable majority in the commons then they can ask whoever they believe can command a majority to form a government.
3) There's absolutely nothing stopping 'the Crown' sacking Boris as Prime Minister if he can't command confidence in the commons. This also doesn't trigger a GE. Since a Prime Minister has never *refused* to resign after losing the confidence of the house doing this wouldn't actually break any precedent at all.

So Boris can't actually call an election. Given that the Tories have a huge majority the only way they won't be able to form a new government is if they descend into chaos, so we can hope, but it's really not up to Boris at this stage. The priority of 'the Crown' will be to do the least controversial thing they can, so they'll give the Tories every chance to form a new government before resorting to a new election.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Andrew Stephenson has been appointed Minster without Portfolio, which is an... odd role to give someone when 1) you have a billion posts to fill and 2) he's only going to be there for 2 months.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A raw, red Johnson, standing mournfully and accepting the climax those around him had edged him towards. The Johnson weeps, as the ejection is finished

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Rip you fat bitch

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Also Kier has said they might do a VONC if Johnson tries to say, which is dangerously close to a policy and therefore will not happen

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Lol

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Tesseraction posted:

:bravo:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Christ he's asked all his loyal MPs to stand behind him while he gives a speech. Pathetic.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

EvilHawk posted:

Also Kier has said they might do a VONC if Johnson tries to say, which is dangerously close to a policy and therefore will not happen

Kier don't even know how to put a vonc on it

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

stev posted:

Christ he's asked all his loyal MPs to stand behind him while he gives a speech. Pathetic.

Can't believe I'm longing for the days of Theresa May blubbering by herself as she hosed off lol
Honestly less pathetic.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

stev posted:

And there's not even that loving many of them bothered to turn up, looks like 20-30 including warcrimes defender Johnny Mercer & weirdo Peter Bone

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Who's that immense one in the crowd that could eat every other MP whole

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I just hope he cries.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

EvilHawk posted:

Andrew Stephenson has been appointed Minster without Portfolio, which is an... odd role to give someone when 1) you have a billion posts to fill and 2) he's only going to be there for 2 months.

To answer my own question, it's probable he'll be made Tory party co-chair as the previous chairman had the same role.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Chubby Henparty posted:

Your mam hey oh

Nah, not sure tbh

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Miftan posted:

I just hope he cries.

He's physically unable to, they beat that out of you at Eton.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Chubby Henparty posted:

Alistair Jack right there with Nadine, absolute embarrassment of a Scot

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just sitting here watching the coverage, waiting for the lectern to resign.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
This is the pomp he wants to badly.
A big parade, even though its his few remaining lackeys.
If he doesn't sound like Churchill and tear up, then I will be surprised.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

pumpinglemma posted:

The most sensible explanation I’ve heard for the Pincher scandal being the thing that brought Boris down rather than everything else is that it’s a scandal that only hits Boris, not any of the other possible leadership contenders. People have been waiting for their chance since the original VoNC and this is a good opportunity. (I suspect there’s also some homophobia/misogyny in there - probably the tories would have cared a lot less if Pincher had been groping women.)

I think it's worth remembering that since April, we've had the Ahmad Khan scandal, then in May the anonymous Tory MP accused of spiking the drinks of his fellow MPs / sexual assault involving an under-age victim over the course of 7 years (I think these were two separate anonymous MPs? It's honestly hard to keep track at this point).

We know there's been a solid month of gossip - and presumably even some legitimate anger - building up inside Westminster about the known individual(s), and none of the May material has really leaked out to the wider public yet.

If charges and a public announcement end up coming, and it turns out these individuals' behaviour was also known and joked about, the Pincher scandal snowballs. If Boris acts as he has over Pincher - lying, lecturing his MPs for not dealing with it themselves - it'll get worse.

If even one of the Boris & Carrie rumours breaks as true to coincide with all of this (i.e. he's been drunkenly seducing his hairdresser while his wife runs off with Zac Goldsmith) then the Conservatives would have suffered a summer of stories about the party of sexual predators presided over by a PM who can't keep it in his pants.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
This clapping is pathetic

lol

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

stev posted:

Declare that only those behind him now are true Conservatives and say that the whip has been withdrawn from the rest.

Do it, Boris. You know you want to.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Boo, it's a relatively tame statement. Interim cabinet with a leadership election starting next week.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
I couldn't possibly subject myself to the pile of horseshit that this speech (and every other he's ever given) will be

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Managed about twenty seconds before I had to turn him off. Not bad!

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
Someone should have made a bingo sheet for this speech.

We've had Ukraine, vast mandate, levelling up.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Most of it is just about how great he is and what a stonking big mandate he has.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Now he’s ranting about how he should never have been forced out.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
RIP underwater tunnel to Ireland via Isle of Man mini roundabout.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
He’s just going on about how it’s so unfair and unwise (in other words/blubbering)

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Did he, by any chance, get all the big decisions right

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Deketh posted:

Did he, by any chance, get all the big decisions right

he got brexit done

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
most interesting thing so far is some yelling in the background. All fluff.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Apparently tory party campaigners make our democracy possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

“Until the new prime minister is in place, your interests will be served” loving lol, so incredibly salty.