Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

The percentage this site gives is more or less useless.

Basically it looks at "what is the latest known timestamp that has received an order email", which in your screenshot is about 10.6 hours after orders opened.

Then it looks at your order timestamp: about 78.5 hours after orders opened.

Then they calculate 10.6 / 78.5 = .136 and say "Congratulations, you're 13.6% of the way to your order!"

They don't have any knowledge of how many people are in line in front of you. They don't bother to do any extrapolation based on how many order emails went out per week in the past. It's just saying that 10.6 hours is 13.6% of 78.5 hours. The old Internet Explorer download progress dialog was more useful than this.

The inanity of the percentage really stands out when you're someone like me who pre-ordered really really late... it says I'm at about 0.2%, and given that they've been sending out order emails for a few months now, I guess that means I can expect my email in several hundred years!

Anyway I'll have a double cheeseburger and a chocolate frosty, thanks.

But it has NUMBER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Just wanted to point out that in addition to the Steam Summer Sale, Humble Choice this month has quite a few verified/playable on Steam Deck games:

fit em all up in there posted:

Humble Choice for July:
-Deep Rock Galactic
-Necromunda Hired Gun
-Legion TD 2
-Legend of Keepers
-Lawn Mowing Sim
-Banners of Ruin
-Yes, your grace
-Trudograd

All for $12 with Humble Choice sub.
https://www.humblebundle.com/membership
I even got em for $8 instead of $12 because I went to pause the month and it gave me a $4 off coupon instead.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 6, 2022

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Lockback posted:

Is it a Linux native game?

Nope. Non-steam Windows game.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

.Ataraxia. posted:

Nope. Non-steam Windows game.

Then copy it over, add it as a non-steam game in steam and run it from there. Then pray I guess, depending on what compatibility layer it might want or if it works on proton at all it might start up, might need you to force proton, or may not work at all.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

One thing I was wondering, and forgive me for being naive as I know nothing about PC game licensing. How does taking a game that's been developed for Windows and basically forcing it to work on Linux not cause issues with Microsoft?
In computing there's a long history of emulation, API reimplementations, etc., to allow software to run on systems for which it wasn't designed. The Wine project itself (which implements Windows APIs on other platforms) dates back to the 90s. Microsoft could potentially make a big stink over this, much the way Oracle did with Google, but interoperability is an even stronger fair use defense here than with Google's use of the Java APIs.

Plus, at this point, the Deck is a niche device that doesn't really threaten Microsoft in any meaningful way. If anything, Valve making DirectX a first-class thing on the Deck will encourage continued use of Microsoft's APIs for game development, which makes for easier ports to Xbox compared to PlayStation or Nintendo, which is really where their competition is.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Lockback posted:

Then copy it over, add it as a non-steam game in steam and run it from there. Then pray I guess, depending on what compatibility layer it might want or if it works on proton at all it might start up, might need you to force proton, or may not work at all.

Thanks friend! I will give it a whirl and see how it goes.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Defenistrator posted:

I don't really mind, I just don't want to end having to rebuy my GOG library on steam just to get it working on my deck. Let me know if you have a guide to help out.

Hopefully this answers your question. I haven't done it with Linux-native games but I imagine the process is similar.

Non-Steam Games as First-Class Citizens

I've found that a lot of Windows games run just fine with a newer version of Proton and a little bit of tweaking. To the point where one almost couldn't tell they weren't Deck-native. It requires a bit of setup and I may be forgetting a step but once you've got the fundamentals in place it's easy to repeat the process.

It helps to have a mouse and keyboard handy; you'll be in Desktop Mode for a bit.

• Install ProtonUp-Qt: From Discover, the built-in application manager (Start -> System -> Discover), install ProtonUp-Qt. This will allow you to install newer versions of Proton ahead of Steam's official releases. You only need to do this once.
  • Install the latest Proton-GE: Launch ProtonUp-QT, click Add Version, and select the latest version of Proton-GE (GE-Proton-7-24 at time of writing). You may need to restart your Deck at this point for it to show up in the next steps. You only need to do this once, unless you want to update to a new version of Proton. I've been happily using 7.20 and don't feel the need to fix what isn't broken.
  • Install a game: Launch Steam from Desktop Mode. Go to the Library tab. Click Add a Game in the bottom left, and choose Add a Non-Steam Game. Click Browse and locate the setup.exe if you need to install it or the primary exe if it doesn't require installation. You'll probably have to change File Type from Applications (*.desktop) to All Files in order to see it.
  • Change the settings: You should see a new entry for setup.exe (or whatever the file name was) in your library list on the left. Right click on it and go to Properties. On the Compatibility tab check Force The Use of a Specific Steam Play Compatibility Tool then select the GE-Proton that you installed previously. If the game requires no installation then skip the ? steps that follow.
  • Install to SD Card?: If it's an installer and you want to install it to the SD card you'll need to add the following string to Launch Options: "STEAM_COMPAT_MOUNTS=/run/media/mmcblk0p1/ %command%" (without the double quotes). This will allow your SD card to show up as the E: drive for the installer.
  • Install?: Run the setup.exe and hopefully you'll be able to install to a place of your choosing. Some installers (especially the kind with music) seem less likely to work on the Steam Deck than others; I've also found some success with installing on a separate computer and just copying the files over, but that will only work with games that install everything to one directory (which admittedly is often GoG games).
  • Target new EXE?: Now that the installation is done, you'll need to edit your custom application to point to the new EXE. Right click on it and go to Properties again and hit the Browse button on the Shortcut tab to locate the newly-installed executable. Feel free to remove the STEAM_COMPAT_MOUNTS Launch Options if you want, though I don't think leaving it does any harm.
  • Set the Steam App ID: In whatever folder your game's executable exists, you'll need to create a "steam_appid.txt" file whose contents are the numerical Steam App ID, most easily gotten from https://steamdb.info/.
  • Download Icons: You'll also want some pictures or it'll show up as a blank box on the Steam Deck. https://www.steamgriddb.com/ is pretty good for that. You'll want a tall one and a wide one if you can find them. I prefer to save them to the same directory the game's executable is in.
  • Set Icons: There are three places to set icons and it's a bit fiddly. One is on the Shortcut tab just to the left of the name on the Properties page we've been messing with. It's the least important but it's kind of nice. Use the tall one here. The second is on the Library tab. Make sure to scroll down to the All Games section (don't use the one under What's New, that doesn't work for some reason) and find your game. Right click on it, go to Manage -> Set Custom Artwork. Use the tall one. Launch your game for just a sec; the first invocation will take a minute but hopefully it'll work. Exit out if it does. You should now see a wide blank icon under Recent Games, below All Games in the Library. Right click on that too and go to Manage -> Set Custom Artwork. Use the wide one.
  • Hide Steam Version: Earlier when we set the steam_appid.txt we suggested to Steam that this was the Steam version of a game. This causes its Steam version to show up in the Library, often with a link to the store page. Right click on that version and go to Mange -> Hide This Game. Then you should only have the one version.

Again it sounds like a lot but it's not that bad once you've done it about twice. Let me know if you have any hiccups; I've installed about a dozen games this way. Not everything works but most things did. One or two were kinda fiddly and so I decided to just buy the Steam version anyway. Turns out with some effort you can copy your save over, but that's a discussion for a different time (that I somewhat already had).

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I got my Deck. Doing the initial boot, setup, and update.

I've been stuck on this update for a while. "1 second remaining" for maybe 10 minutes now.

Has this happened to any of you?

I'm afraid to reboot it since it's updating. I'm not in a position to reinstall the OS right now, if I damage the install.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I'd say leave it a bit longer. While you're waiting you can hunt down a flash drive and follow the recovery guide to burn a recovery image in case you need to wipe clean and start over.

Just last night I ran into severe, like PowerPoint level stuttering when the battery got too low, then when I rebooted it displayed the logo and got stuck on a black screen. I used the recovery image to reinstall SteamOS, and then it booted into a command line prompt and froze. Turned it off and on a few more times, still got stuck at command prompt even after a long, long wait. I had to do a hard reboot (hold power button for ~11 seconds) and then everything was perfectly fine.

I look forward to further updates but this is the second time I've had to reinstall SteamOS after some reboot thing got hosed up <:mad:>

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Marx Headroom posted:

I'd say leave it a bit longer. While you're waiting you can hunt down a flash drive and follow the recovery guide to burn a recovery image in case you need to wipe clean and start over.

I wish.

My Deck arrived late, after multiple mysterious FedEx delays.

I got it this morning, immediately before I had to leave for a flight.

I booted it for the first time in the airport terminal, downloaded the update on airport wifi, and am now seated on the aircraft waiting for the boarding door to close.

And for the Deck to finish updating.

I brought a portable HDD with games so I'd have something to play in flight, but if I can't get past the update I'm screwed.

EDIT: I decided to reboot per this thread.

I guess we'll see if I can finish setup on in-flight wifi lmaooooo

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 6, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Unfortunately it wouldn't surprise me if the weird nature of secured public wifis is causing issues compared to "where most consoles are going to expect you to be when you're doing setup". I'd just shut it down, start it up, pray, and deal with the fallout when you get to where you're going if it doesn't work

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

haldolium posted:

Doesn't change anything, the Deck in its DHCP wifi environment is not detected by Warpinator within static IP LAN.

/its not even "offline" - its not detected at all unless I change the Deck to static IP, which for some completely unknown reason never works from the Steam UI directly and when setup through Proton works (also works when then switching back to Steam and using the connection) but gets wiped eventually, resetting the connection to "Auto" within proton

Maybe its a router thing but its a fairly common one and not overly customized setup

Did you ever have any luck with this? I factory reset my router and set it up in all sorts of configurations to try and see if I could narrow down the issue for you but dynamic or static addresses, DHCP, etc. had no effect. As long as I manually set the proper network adapter in Warpinator and Winpinator preferences, they were able to communicate. I've been using Winpinator on a Windows 10 PC and Warpinator with the Deck's desktop mode grabbed from Discover.

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

I got mine today and it absolutely hates my 5Ghz WiFi even with developer options and sleep turned on. I had to update it through a laptop dock and ethernet and then enable 2Ghz on my router for it to calm down and behave.

Using a turris omnia so I may need to play with the settings more for it to enjoy 5ghz.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Deck doesn't support Wifi 6 so if your 5GHz is set to 6-only that'd be the problem. It does understand 11ac, so you can enable that on the 5GHz band.

A more mundane reason could be that 5GHz has less range than 2.4Ghz.

I had a Wifi 6-only network that all my (modern) devices use, but not the Deck ... in '22. Created a 11ac network for it to sit in all by itself.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Thoughts and prayers for the goon trying to play his new Deck on that plane

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I wish.

I booted it for the first time in the airport terminal, downloaded the update on airport wifi, and am now seated on the aircraft waiting for the boarding door to close.

I brought a portable HDD with games so I'd have something to play in flight, but if I can't get past the update I'm screwed.

Marx Headroom posted:

This is the stuff of dreams and nightmares. I can’t wait to hear how it worked out. :suspense:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Haven't felt cringe like that since those stories of service members going on deployment and having offline mode fail.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

Is it going to look weird or defeat the purpose of the etched glass if I put a screen protector on my 512 GB model?

Didn't see an answer on this and am curious as well. Particularly on defeating the etched glass benefit.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

I also just landed off a flight and used my deck the whole time. The power plug “worked” in so much that charger kept falling out but it stayed in enough to let me play for the whole 5.5 hour flight to Maui.

Played lots of state of decay 2

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I wish.

Just landed.

To nobody's surprise, doing Steam Deck initial setup on airplane wifi was a spectacular failure. I do not recommend it.

Now to try on hotel wifi! Maybe I can get this thing crackin' before my next flight :D

EDIT: A few details for the curious:

The Deck's built in browser for navigating captive portals doesn't show dropdowns. Like, you can tap on the dropdown (in this case, to select a month from a list) but the options are not rendered.

I spent the first hour of the flight poking at the wifi signup screen until I figured this out. After that I was able to select my credit card's expiry month by tapping the dropdown then guessing the correct distance below it to choose the month.

Once through that, airplane wifi topped out at 200kbps down. I was frankly surprised it downloaded anything at all, I figured traffic from outside browsers might be blocked.

The Deck struggled to download the update, first saying it would take two hours. Two hours later it said it would take... two more hours. That's when I gave up.

Luckily I brought a book as a backup (the new Cosmos by Anne Druyan, Carl Sagan's wife and a coauthor of the original - it's good!).

I also learned that you can hold down the Steam button and use the right track pad to control a cursor. No, that didn't help with the dropdowns.

I guess my suggestion to Valve is to allow people to skip first time setup if they want to. I'd have been happy just to drop into desktop mode and try installing a game from my portable HDD, but I was unable to find any way to drop out of the setup utility.

Of course, this use case is extremely rare. Probably not worth the engineering time to make onboarding easier for people with total poo poo wifi.

Anyway. It's a nice device. Feels good in the hand. I'll bet it's even better when you can do literally anything other than look at the setup wizard lol.

I'll wrestle with hotel wifi tonight!

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 7, 2022

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

JuffoWup posted:

Didn't see an answer on this and am curious as well. Particularly on defeating the etched glass benefit.

I have no conclusive answer to this, but in this video you can see that the etched glass is actually "rough" and scrapes off some of the picks he uses to test the hardness. This makes me think the adhesive from the protector might settle into the etched grooves or whatever is going on there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66xbBtnxb5k

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Just landed.

To nobody's surprise, doing Steam Deck initial setup on airplane wifi was a spectacular failure. I do not recommend it.

Now to try on hotel wifi! Maybe I can get this thing crackin' before my next flight :D

LOL I’m having mine delivered to a hotel on Monday. I hope the wifi will work for the Deck, if not Ill try to tether it off my phone. Unless FedEx delays them I’m screwed and will have to ask the hotel to ship home! Pray for me.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

I also just landed off a flight and used my deck the whole time. The power plug “worked” in so much that charger kept falling out but it stayed in enough to let me play for the whole 5.5 hour flight to Maui.

Played lots of state of decay 2

I am coincidentally flying to Maui on Saturday with my Deck that arrives Friday.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
When making a Deck recovery drive, are you forced to devote the drive entirely to being a recovery disk or can you keep the recovery utility alongside data?

I have a portable drive I'm happy to drop a recovery utility on, but I can't wipe the other data on the drive. The recovery utility would have to live alongside my other files.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
How many of y’all using your deck for a fair amount of emulation? I think it’s what I’m most excited about lol. Looking forward to playing some favorite ps1 and maybe ps2 games in a handheld form on a screen bigger than what’s on my 351v.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Disappointing Pie posted:

How many of y’all using your deck for a fair amount of emulation? I think it’s what I’m most excited about lol. Looking forward to playing some favorite ps1 and maybe ps2 games in a handheld form on a screen bigger than what’s on my 351v.

https://www.emudeck.com/ is your one-stop shop. PS1 and PS2 games are no trouble at all if you can get your hands on a PS2 BIOS. One of the first things I did when I got my Deck was get God Hand running on it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Pirate Jet posted:

https://www.emudeck.com/ is your one-stop shop. PS1 and PS2 games are no trouble at all if you can get your hands on a PS2 BIOS. One of the first things I did when I got my Deck was get God Hand running on it.

This is the greatest thing I have ever seen. Thank you.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Perfection, except for cloud saves.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

For Playstation games I've only done SotN personally but I've got GameCube/PSP games on there as well as earlier stuff and so far everything's worked seamlessly after getting emudeck set up

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

jokes posted:

Perfection, except for cloud saves.

I think I read that Retroarch installed via Steam has cloud saves, but Retroarch installed via EmuDeck does not.

Maybe I made that up? Is that right?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

No idea I normally use onedrive for emulator saves and it's.. not really an option. The steam retroarch doesn't play well with certain cores like Citra.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Animal posted:

LOL I’m having mine delivered to a hotel on Monday. I hope the wifi will work for the Deck, if not Ill try to tether it off my phone. Unless FedEx delays them I’m screwed and will have to ask the hotel to ship home! Pray for me.

Success!

The Deck updated correctly and is ready to go. Thanks, hotel wifi!

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I think I read that Retroarch installed via Steam has cloud saves, but Retroarch installed via EmuDeck does not.

Maybe I made that up? Is that right?

No, you have it right... for save states only. If you do a console-like save-point as normal, RetroArch will NOT cloud-save it. It's something that is really cumbersome and not really intuitive if you never use save states.

---

Is anyone elses back triggers (L/R5 in particular) stiff to get "firing"/pull? I might just be holding the deck wrong but L/R4 (the top back triggers) are fine, but the bottom ones (L/R5) aren't.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

When making a Deck recovery drive, are you forced to devote the drive entirely to being a recovery disk or can you keep the recovery utility alongside data?

I have a portable drive I'm happy to drop a recovery utility on, but I can't wipe the other data on the drive. The recovery utility would have to live alongside my other files.

If it's like other Live USB distros: You'll need to wipe the drive and format for the OS, unfortunately.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Is anyone elses back triggers (L/R5 in particular) stiff to get "firing"/pull? I might just be holding the deck wrong but L/R4 (the top back triggers) are fine, but the bottom ones (L/R5) aren't.
Jump to 6:39 in this video https://youtu.be/q0N4MNOjb7Y to see "push" vs "pull". Push is way easier and likely how you're expected to do it.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

minusX posted:

Jump to 6:39 in this video https://youtu.be/q0N4MNOjb7Y to see "push" vs "pull". Push is way easier and likely how you're expected to do it.

Huh. I'll have to try to adjust. I hated the Steam Controller's back paddles for the same reason: They felt too hard to actually use because of the "resistance" (that he's talking about) with the way I'm holding the controller.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Huh. I'll have to try to adjust. I hated the Steam Controller's back paddles for the same reason: They felt too hard to actually use because of the "resistance" (that he's talking about) with the way I'm holding the controller.
It's a button first, with some paddle action as a bonus feature, it's hard to hit the buttons but putting the controller down, and you can't really grip the paddles by accident either. It's a lot better than the xbox elite if you ever want it to exist on the table ever, I would hit the paddles on the back by mistake just holding it let alone putting it down.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ShaneB posted:

I am coincidentally flying to Maui on Saturday with my Deck that arrives Friday.

Hell yeah!

Also I’ve pretty much decided to deep six 60fps at this point even for games that could run it with no issues.

40fps feels drat great and at this point it’s pretty hard for me to notice the difference past a few min playing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Theoretically, how many hours of a game like Slay the Spire are you gonna get out of the Deck? Or maybe someone’s already tested it.

On my iPad I can play for hours without thinking about the battery level. On my laptop it would probably be a bit more than two, and it would burn my lap doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Slay the spire would be great on the deck

I may actually finish it that way