Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
I had the displeasure of meeting Liz Truss while deployed in Estonia, I can confirm she's a oval office and a moron, met Boris as well when he came over, weirdly soft hands when he shook mine but we weren't allowed to offer him food or a drink as he's a very messy eater. He seemed pleasant enough but we all know he's also a oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Is that not Boris' whole thing though. Absolute monster but very charming in person?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Surely by now everyone can see through the paper thin facade of bumbling charm.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Davey posted:

But Johnson didn’t act alone. For three years, he has been backed to the hilt by more than 350 co-conspirators on the Conservative benches. They nodded along to every shameful lie. They gladly went on TV to defend the indefensible and excuse the inexcusable. They willingly trooped through the voting lobby in support of every disastrous policy.

They could have prevented the chaos and paralysis that now engulfs every part of the government, if only they had thrown Johnson out of Downing Street months ago – or not backed him as their leader in the first place. They could have supported the motion of no-confidence that I tabled back in January, when it was first revealed that Johnson had broken his own lockdown laws and then lied about it to parliament and the public.

But they sat on their hands and did nothing.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/07/boris-johnson-has-resigned-what-now-our-panels-verdict

Will never stop being funny that this person was in a Conservative cabinet that certainly did no better than Boris's for three years.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

MonkeyLibFront posted:

we weren't allowed to offer him food or a drink as he's a very messy eater.

Sorry... what?

Was this something that his handlers specified beforehand? Would he just go full pig-at-the-trough mode?

:psyduck:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

lilljonas posted:

How to resign without resigning.

How many hours will it take for UK media to grasp what wasn't said? I saw it live of youtube (maybe sky news?) and they were fawning over how gracious and moving his speech was, nothing else.

Huw Jenkins realised it 10 minutes later, in the middle of the first followup interview. Was pretty funny watching his expression go *ding* and then he pivoted from questioning the mp from bury about challengers to asking what he feels about boris remaining leader and pm indefinitely

stev posted:

Surely by now everyone can see through the paper thin facade of bumbling charm.

iirc hes polling net unfavourable among 2019 conservative voters after the last scandal, and that's despite nobody landing the obvious "did you joke about "pincher by nature" while promoting handsy mcgropes to whip because you wanted a poo poo Beria knockoff locking the door on dissident mps?" line, the tories all seem to think he's genuinely going to cost them a ge

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 7, 2022

grobbo
May 29, 2014

ThomasPaine posted:

Well, he's a tory

Yes, but it'd be helpful to measure him by the sliding scale of this upcoming leadership contest. Is he a) just evil, b) evil and stupid, or c) evil and stupid and also unhinged?

grobbo fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 7, 2022

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

:confused:

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

ThomasPaine posted:

Is that not Boris' whole thing though. Absolute monster but very charming in person?

Yeah pretty much, very disarming and seemed genuinely interested in what you had to say. Like you said though, monster behind the curtain.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Who the gently caress is Ben Wallace?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

grobbo posted:

Yes, but it'd be helpful to measure him by the sliding scale of this upcoming leadership contest. Is he a) just evil, b) evil and stupid, or c) evil and stupid and also unhinged?

he wants even less troops so I'd vote for him, we're getting close to "catastrophic loss to students, tractors, and molotovs" level of staffing

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Matinee posted:

Sorry... what?

Was this something that his handlers specified beforehand? Would he just go full pig-at-the-trough mode?

Dunno the drinks were because he would have hung around and they wanted him moving but I'm guessing the food is very much bacon sarnie territory

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Matinee posted:

According to his wiki, Tugendhat is banned from entering China by the CCP.

Which would be an... interesting position for a world leader to be in if it comes to that

edit: its more than that, he's sanctioned so no Chinese person or institution can do business with him at all.

I wonder if the Czechs would let the Tugendhats sell their unesco world heritage villa restored for government money if he becomes PM.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

He's the greatest Prime Minister I've been alive for.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Rarity posted:

Defence Secretary.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Matinee posted:

Sorry... what?

Probably a way to stop him getting poo poo all over his suit

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields

Rarity posted:

Wikipedia posted:

"Wallace faced criticism locally after it was revealed he had the fourth highest expenses claim of any MP in the UK in 2008, claiming £175,523 on top of his £63,000 salary."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Seems pretty Prime Ministerial tbh

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
As funny as it would be if was being coy about actually resigning, I'm struggling to see how that would make much strategic sense from his point of view. Surely it would just make it even harder for him to not stay on, as he'd then have to wade through all the arguments thrown at him for misleading people etc? Not that it's stopped him before, I suppose...

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Answers Me posted:

As funny as it would be if was being coy about actually resigning, I'm struggling to see how that would make much strategic sense from his point of view. Surely it would just make it even harder for him to not stay on, as he'd then have to wade through all the arguments thrown at him for misleading people etc? Not that it's stopped him before, I suppose...

this morning he didnt have a government, now he has a government

it's not like he has good options available to stay on, he's been pretty hosed for a while, but he does now have valuable plotting time until monday

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Spangly A posted:

this morning he didnt have a government, now he has a government

it's not like he has good options available to stay on, he's been pretty hosed for a while, but he does now have valuable plotting time until monday

He's put together a Suicide Squad

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lid posted:

He's gambling on the option that gives him more time. You know how the options were jump before you're pushed? He instead decided to try and build a bridge. He has no options so he took a possibility that a new option will emerge eventually.
Reminds me of that person who knew him at Eton and said he was notorious for not making a decision, leaving it until the last possible second, extending deadline after deadline, and when there was only one possible option left, doing that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Reminds me of that person who knew him at Eton and said he was notorious for not making a decision, leaving it until the last possible second, extending deadline after deadline, and when there was only one possible option left, doing that.

Shame he probably doesn't have any access to firearms then

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1544983378134503424?t=ZWg5Sz_rNKle1FD8NjE3kA&s=19

Now hiring : slim 20yo interns who can do a few jobs

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Rarity posted:

The greatest undrafted NBA player of all time, four time DPOY, championship winner with the Pistons, the only modern undrafted player to make the Hall of Fame.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

A raw, red Johnson, standing mournfully and accepting the climax those around him had edged him towards. The Johnson weeps, as the ejection is finished

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
BBC vox pops:

Karen in Scarborough says she's "tearful" after hearing of Boris Johnson's plan to resign.

"It reminds me of the Lion King with the hyenas circling," she says.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Borhs Johnson has resignated.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jippa posted:

BBC vox pops:

Karen in Scarborough says she's "tearful" after hearing of Boris Johnson's plan to resign.

"It reminds me of the Lion King with the hyenas circling," she says.

The hyenas were the good guys in Lion King.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Polls probably pretty useless, but still lol:

https://twitter.com/jamesjohnson252/status/1545033843480084482

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/kitty_donaldson/status/1545044250416410626

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

seems like a fair assessment of the content we’ve been getting

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Remember he had to be kicked out of the Foreign Secretary place he was staying in, he just wouldn't leave until he was forced to.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1545045540244578304

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Matinee posted:

Sorry... what?

he'd get his urges mixed up and attempt to father his n-th child on a cheese and pickle sandwich

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Has anyone just tried asking him discreetly, hey if we make sure you can still have your shindig there will you just step down?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

hi guys, how many conservatives have been fired for sex crimes recently? isn't it like 4

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields

hemale in pain posted:

hi guys, how many conservatives have been fired for sex crimes recently? isn't it like 4

Sky news should keep a running tally on-screen

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Some Tory twat summarising Boris's achievements on BBC just said he "Prevented a terrifying anti-Semite from reaching number 10" (thank you google for correcting the spelling of antisemite).

Just absolutely taking the piss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Private Speech posted:

Some Tory twat summarising Boris's achievements on BBC just said he "Prevented a terrifying anti-Semite from reaching number 10" (thank you google for correcting the spelling of antisemite).

Just absolutely taking the piss.

Yeah that was in Nadhim Zahawi (sp?) libellous letter earlier, apparently they're going for libel AND slander