Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

actionjackson posted:

I feel that way about a lot of dark beers, it's like drinking a giant sandwich

My dad always whips out like stouts and porters and Russian imperials to drink with meals and I can't fathom it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
They're nice with a lot of foods and aren't as filling as you think. Pairs well with red meat and anything with a predominantly umami flavor. But these are like old Rasputin and Bell's Porter, not the fuccboi baby palette glucose bombs that stouts became thanks to Floridians.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

actionjackson posted:

what would a long summer weekend be without some delicious, refreshing fruited sours?

we've got a key lime pie from a local place (indeed), a strawberry/pineapple sour from a place I haven't heard of before (but is apparently based here in minneapolis), and a tart tangerine and navel orange sour from great notion in portland, which I"m having right now. definitely tart! but not as much tartness as say, a grapefruit.

:cheers:

wow, cool! would you say that you like your sours to be fruity, or acidic? or sweet?? can something be sweet and tart? AND FRUITY?? wow,.ive never considered this! :beerpal:

hey, have you ever hosed a grapefruit?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I tend to treat dark beers as dessert. Like a Rohrbach vanilla Porter with a warm brownie

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I tried once and they won't let me back into that publix

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Brawnfire posted:

I tend to treat dark beers as dessert. Like a Rohrbach vanilla Porter with a warm brownie

Maybe uhh try dark beers that aren't dessert beers? They're actually really hard to find though

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

If I'm going dark, I usually go for oatmeal stouts. But those still make me want dessert.

Smoked beers however, I generally go for cheeses with those so I guess that's an exception!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
What about light smoked beers?

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

I prefer my smoothie sours smoked. Toss some pineapple on the grill and cuvee a nice thick smoothie sour with a Rauchbier.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Bacon, Lactose, yellow Gatorade powder, butyric acid and acetaldehyde smoked wheat sour aged on Tabasco staves.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Rauooj

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

I just take a shot of vodka and chase it with a pull straight from a aseptic fruit puree bag(from a drum cause you know that I'm fuckin ballin' yo!)

discord.gg/smooj

FYAD SECRETARY fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 2, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

wow, cool! would you say that you like your sours to be fruity, or acidic? or sweet?? can something be sweet and tart? AND FRUITY?? wow,.ive never considered this! :beerpal:

hey, have you ever hosed a grapefruit?

yes

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

danbanana posted:

Didn't they stop making that or am I thinking of something else?

I had only been seeing Summer Haze for a while but my local store just got Love again

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Zam posted:

I prefer my smoothie sours smoked. Toss some pineapple on the grill and cuvee a nice thick smoothie sour with a Rauchbier.

Like, I know you're joking. But a couple of years ago, I had a Modern Times/Creature Comforts collaboration described as a "Sour ale w/smoked malt, pineapple, salt and chili peppers" and that poo poo was delicious. My general opinion on sours is "okay, but I don't want more than a taster", but I got a full pour on that.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

WaffleZombie posted:

Like, I know you're joking. But a couple of years ago, I had a Modern Times/Creature Comforts collaboration described as a "Sour ale w/smoked malt, pineapple, salt and chili peppers" and that poo poo was delicious. My general opinion on sours is "okay, but I don't want more than a taster", but I got a full pour on that.

That would be Creature Times. It was pretty good, but it was a Rauch with pineapple puree added - definitely wasn't some smoothie sour crap.

Zam fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 2, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Zam posted:

definitely wasn't some smoothie sour crap.

:mad:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Sapporo black is way better than it should be

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm having the strawberry pineapple sour right now and i gotta say

this is downright tasty

I feel like the strawberry and pineapple on the can, just sitting on the beach, enjoying the summer to the max

:cheers:

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Sapporo black is way better than it should be

Gonna go find this loving immediately. I hope it comes in that badass can.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Josh Wow posted:

Curry is very not photogenic. I can only ever find it at Japanese restaurants

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
So what are peoples simple definitions for differentiating Porter and Stout?

Mine:

A Stout has none to little hopping and a decent mouthfeel.

A Porter is hopped (trad unfruity hops) with a dryer/crisper mouthfeel.

Its winter here, so Its a question I have been asking myself lately (so many weak options from both styles out there) and that's my simple explanation or maybe just what I like from either style.

Josh Wow posted:

It does, I had one a few weeks ago, Big steel glass-shaped can.

Billy Ray Blowjob fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 3, 2022

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Billy Ray Blowjob posted:

A stout is a stout (strong) porter. Simple as.

Or alternatively look up the BJCP definitions/specs.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

danbanana posted:

Didn't they stop making that or am I thinking of something else?

This was the first time I’ve seen it in years so that’s very possible.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kaiho posted:

A stout is a stout (strong) porter. Simple as.

Or alternatively look up the BJCP definitions/specs.

This, but not the BJCP. OG Porters also had an appreciable amount of brown malt. They were large ales, aged in large barrels and then blended with young ale to keep the flavor of being aged. Stouts took over because of grain saving during the wars. Hops are only different for US or traditional formats, herbal hops like Fuggles and Kent Goldings would have been common at the time.

If you want to know more you should find a copy of the history of Porter or Stout in their books from the Brewers Association.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I need to hang the IPA hat up for a while , I think I’m going to need a break. Just haven’t had any bangers lately and fatigued on the flavor profile .

Went to a new local and grabbed a pour of their “bohemian Pilsner”

Sweet, malty — I’m not sure what happened here. Maybe they crossed the streams with their schwarz

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Pretty much every beer tastes sweet to me these days, but yeah that doesn't sound right.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

codo27 posted:

Alright, who's got a kegerator? I finally splurged on one, an Insignia single tap from Best Buy. Got my c02 filled, got my keg, but all is not right. I'm getting more head than a good date, and the carbonation isn't quite right. Manual calls for a psi of 10-12, so I tried a couple of levels within that threshold. It seems to be getting slightly better but still way too much head at the beginning. I can basically fill a pint glass with head quite easily. I did have a little bit of beer flowing from the top of the keg but I tightened that some more so I think thats ruled out. I originally had some hissing from the c02 canister where the regulator connects to it but I tightened it (requiring quite a bit of force) and that seems to be gone as well. So whats going on? The keg has been inside the kegerator for over 24 hours at max setting, manual calls for me not to make adjustments to that until 48 hours have passed. I'm on pint 4 or 5 now I'm not sure

atothesquiz posted:

Maintenance-wise, I recommend making or buying a tower cooler. Its a fan that you leave in main cavity of your kegerator connected to a hose that you run up into the beer tower. This will reduce the amount of foam you get on your first pour by actively cooling the tower. The leading cause of foam once a keg is balanced properly is when beer experiences quick temperature changes, by that I mean going from a cold surface to a room temp surface. If your tower is not actively cooled, it's essentially slightly below room temp and the length of hose in that tower is also near room temp. Once you open the faucet, cold beer will rush through that relatively warm tube and instantly foam until the convection flow cools it down enough.

That brings me to how to tap and pour a new keg. I dont know how others do it but when i tap one, I turn off my CO2 valve to that coupler and just use the keg's internal pressure until it can longer pour (1, maybe 2 pints?). I then wait a bit while I drink that beer and pull the pressure relief valve to release any extra CO2 that's been made. At this point I turn the CO2 valve on so I know the keg is at the pressure I want.

I also have ball lock adapters for my sankey couplers because I occasionally homebrew and it makes cleaning the lines so much easier. This is by no means a must have, purely for convenience.

Personal preference but I'd say get a drip tray where you can actually see the beer in the tray. I found the ones with covers, i'd end up forgetting to clean out out at the end of the night or party and then it gets nasty.

Oh, look at the underside of your faucets. You'll see a tiny hole about 3/4 of the way of the neck. This hole should remain clear and is important for getting good beer flow out of the faucet. Over time beer will dry up in there and plug them up, especially if you dip your faucet into the beer while pouring (dont do this, ya dont have a LUKR!).

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
A rare find of my all-time favorite beer bottled within the last two weeks and kept cold:

Usually only found 6 months old and warm on a dusty shelf.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Billy Ray Blowjob posted:

Mine:

A Stout has none to little hopping and a decent mouthfeel.

A Porter is hopped (trad unfruity hops) with a dryer/crisper mouthfeel.

Its winter here, so Its a question I have been asking myself lately (so many weak options from both styles out there) and that's my simple explanation or maybe just what I like from either style.

It does, I had one a few weeks ago, Big steel glass-shaped can.

The answer is yes

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've had the kegerator on max for 2 weeks now but I had a couple pints after work yesterday and they still weren't very cold. A coworker warned me that it would freeze. The tap actually took some pulling for it to move after I was away from home for a week. I mean they weren't bad, but I like it just short of ice.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

codo27 posted:

I've had the kegerator on max for 2 weeks now but I had a couple pints after work yesterday and they still weren't very cold. A coworker warned me that it would freeze. The tap actually took some pulling for it to move after I was away from home for a week. I mean they weren't bad, but I like it just short of ice.

Do you have your gas canister mounted inside or outside? If it’s outside make sure that gasket that you run the gas line through is snug. Or check the gasket around the bottom of the tower. Sounds like maybe you’ve got a leak somewhere.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

codo27 posted:

When beer dries, it gets sticky; it's common for taps to get stuck closed. I would always have an old SoutherTier Brewing Company tap handle laying around that I could use as a breaker bar to unstick a tap if it was unused for a period of time.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

atothesquiz posted:

When beer dries, it gets sticky; it's common for taps to get stuck closed. I would always have an old SoutherTier Brewing Company tap handle laying around that I could use as a breaker bar to unstick a tap if it was unused for a period of time.

You could instead try cleaning your taps regularly. Stuck taps means you have crap in your lines/taps that will make your beer taste gross. You can buy a spray bottle to spray the outside portion, but you should run a cleaning cycle at least 3-4 times a year.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I clean my lines between every keg, and the faucets probably ever 3-4 months.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Jhet posted:

You could instead try cleaning your taps regularly. Stuck taps means you have crap in your lines/taps that will make your beer taste gross. You can buy a spray bottle to spray the outside portion, but you should run a cleaning cycle at least 3-4 times a year.

I'm talking about pouring a particularly thick and sticky beer and then going a week or two without pouring out of that tap. The residual beer that's left in a non perlic style faucet can dry and bind up the lever mech in the faucet.

As I mentioned in original maintenance post about owning a kegerator, I specifically mention I have ball lock fittings on all of my beer and gas lines and the adapters for my sankey couplers. This allows me to have a dedicated corny keg of cleaning solution that I use to quickly and easily clean the lines between switching kegs.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I clean my lines between every keg, and the faucets probably ever 3-4 months.

This. Though i usually do the faucets every keg too since it's easy enough.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How do I go about cleaning the lines? I'm mostly happy with the experience so far but it definitely isn't quite perfect as far as taste goes, plus the aforementioned temperature issue

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

codo27 posted:

How do I go about cleaning the lines? I'm mostly happy with the experience so far but it definitely isn't quite perfect as far as taste goes, plus the aforementioned temperature issue

Typically home kegerators are cleaned by disconnecting the coupler from the keg, taking the faucet off, and dumping sanitizer down the line into a large bowl via gravity with a hand-held bottle. I did this for a while but much prefer to use a pressure pot, something similar to this:
https://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/cleaning/pressurized/completekits/5LCBT.shtml
That one is pretty dang expensive. I only paid $150 for mine, but it was from some local company, but it's essentially the same thing. You can probably find them cheaper.

You don't have to remove the faucets, and it uses the CO2 tank to push the sanitizer up the lines and out the tap. Huge advantage than standing there holding a bottle up and squeezing the cleaning solution downward IMO. I just hook it up, let it pour out into a bowl for 10 secs or so, then shut the tap off and let it sit for 15 mins. After the 15 minutes, open er back up again and send the rest of the solution through. Then I rinse out the bottle, and send 1/4 gal of water up through the lines to rinse it out.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

codo27 posted:

If you're using a brand new kegerator and this this is the first keg, I have to image the taste is probably the keg/beer itself. I've never noticed an off taste from brand new lines and I dont think running sani through them is going to change that.

As for cleaning, I put together a set similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/PERA-Conversion-Couplers-Disconnect-Coupler/dp/B08547Q2R1 and use a corny / soda keg that I fill with sanitizer.

This allows you to connect a soda keg quickly, pressurize it and then free flow it through the line into a bucket for as long as you want with virtually no mess.

You're also already set if you decided you wanted to start home brewing or just a have a tap of seltzer water between beer kegs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm in the middle of buttfuck nowhere, and the top of the keg was marked May 22 which is kinda ridiculous. Still early in the journey. Hopefully the next one will be more crisp. They were quite good the second day I had it running