Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Captain Log posted:

Chicken Thoughts just came out with the absolute truest cartoon I'v ever seen.

lmao this is absolutely not true for linnies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/Rg8Mqjt.mp4

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
For some reason I am thinking of the Pigeon Man (RIP) in Paris. He had all the borbs following him around. I tried to help by giving them an orange slice which they did not want. They kept stepping on it an flew away. So I just threw it in the trash.

https://topum.livejournal.com/410109.html

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

nunsexmonkrock posted:

For some reason I am thinking of the Pigeon Man (RIP) in Paris. He had all the borbs following him around. I tried to help by giving them an orange slice which they did not want. They kept stepping on it an flew away. So I just threw it in the trash.

https://topum.livejournal.com/410109.html

Pigeons are granivores, so try some lentils or other seed mixes and I'm sure you'll have your own flock in no time!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Exactly as the vet predicted at her checkup a month or so ago, Serra gained 15g along with her seasonal hormones. Apparently, cockatiel's reproductive systems will literally grow in size when it's baby making time.

This means she is 150g right now, on the dot. Her recommended weight is 135g, with 150g allowed for the month or so of being hormonal.

Believe it or not, she is still able to not only fly from one room to the next, but also able to suddenly take off from the floor to some spot atop a bookshelf or something equally high up. She is a loving fat, fluffy helicopter.

But I'm still going to take every photo of her sleeping like a floofus as possible.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Big girl for big eggs.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Captain Log posted:

She is a loving fat, fluffy helicopter.

New thread title?

Also keep please posting birds so I can live vicariously though other posters.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ozzy died a couple weeks ago. I don't know what to say. She'd reached the point where medical intervention could only do more harm than good, so we made her last days as comfortable and spoiled as possible. At least I know that the medicine helped a lot with her arthritis. I'm going to pick up her ashes today.

I think the blow was compounded because all our birds were old, except Agrippa. Chirpy is old, and I think Nemo is just here until she decides to return to her home planet. We recently had to give up keeping chickens--two left, one died, so we adopted Jupiter out--and we sensed it would set off an avalanche of grief, somehow.

We moved Agrippa into her cage. He likes having his own room, and frankly, having a green bird in that cage alleviated the almost physical blow I felt every time I walked into the living room and saw her gone.

Anyway, this was probably her best picture.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I’m sorry :smith:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I’m so sorry, as useless as that sounds. Ozzy lived a happy life, surrounded by love and safety, which is living in heaven for a little parrot.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
rip

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
You were a good bird parent, Ozzy will always be with us thanks to your bird posting :unsmith:

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
My condolences. I watch the this thread in the hopes that someday I may have a bird, and I feel some amount of attachment to the birds of the thread, delightful creatures that they are. Ozzy was lovedd I. The most beautiful of ways. I think we can all only hope to be so luckily as to pass happy among loved ones.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I'm so sorry for your loss HJ. Thank you for sharing Ozzy's adventures with us here. ❤️

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Your posts made your affection for Ozzy so clear. Condolences that Ozzy is gone but congratulations on having had so much good time.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Take heed! Serra has Very Important Things to say to humanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoBStj2tH84

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Soooo, I did a thing. Internet rando in this shithole of a country was asking for help as he's travelling for two months and needed someone to look after his cockatiel. I volunteered, as the thought of this poor thing going to some callous jerk made me sad. Turned out to be a 17 year old who rocked up with his dad, lovely people, super friendly. Cockatiel was stressed like crazy.

I've fallen in love. Cockatiels are the sweetest, kindest things ever. I'm taking it nice and slow as I want the bird to settle in and not be stressed, he's terrified of everything: Perches? Yep. Toys? Yep. My fluffy robe? 100% He came in a bare cage with dowel perches and an all-seed diet :/

Please ignore the cringey spa music in the background and my dishevelled appearance. He was perched on a ladder at shoulder height and decided out of nowhere to hop on and come for cuddles. It shocked me as up until this point, he has been hedgey and nervous. But I guess when cuddle time calls, you can't resist. It melted my heart, my god. Just tucked himself under my chin and cuddled.

https://streamable.com/1pvnnk
https://streamable.com/j5q0dr

So, cockatiels - I realise now - are way more in line with what my emotional neediness personality needs. I absolutely adore my two budgie girls, but the relationship is so, so vastly different. Everything is always on their terms. I only get cheek scratches if permitted, and it's usually once a day kind of thing. But what makes me love them so much is just how strong their bond and sense of trust with me is, it gets me every time. Something scares them? They'll fly to me. They're nervous? They'll come to me for comfort. I blow my nose or eat something that looks threatening? You bet your rear end they're swooping in to protect me.

https://streamable.com/77hqi7

Anyway, I am fluent in budgie language. Turns out I don't understand a drat thing in cockatiel language. It was the strangest experience because I can sense what my budgies are feeling so acutely, based on their behaviour or noises or whatever. This cockatiel makes me draw a complete blank. What do all his noises mean? Beats me. Also cockatiel poop is gross compared to the neatly packaged and delivered budgie poop. Tho tiels definitely resemble dinosaurs more.

PS: I'm giving this tiel back hopefully a lot better than I found him. His cage will be adorned with natural perches, he'll have toys, and I'm going to get him onto a pellet diet all within two months. Just letting him ease up to the new environment and me first. He's currently quarantined for 30 days in my spare bedroom, I go and spend time with him every now and then. I don't think he's in the best of health, as his feathers seemed slightly greasy, unless that's normal for tiels. But we'll get him back on track. He's already drinking vitamin water and I'm giving him a better brand of seed mix that has some pellets in it.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 9, 2022

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Greasy feathers can be from not getting a bath in a while. Their secreted oil binds up with their dusty down and can make a greasy feel until they get a good rinse

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How do I introduce a tiel to a bath when he's probably never had one in his life? I can picture it now, he's just gonna poo poo himself and fly away when I slowly bring the bath over.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

In the 7 years I've had my two 'tiels, I remember them bathing in a dish exactly once. The only successful way of getting them a bath has been to bring them along when I take a shower myself.
Either that, or a spray bottle, mostly also in the bathroom to not get everything wet.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Sunny is highly suspicious of baths, even though she watches my budgies loving the heck out of theirs.

What gets her is I have one of those metal colander things that sits over my kitchen sink. I'll turn the water on so it's a soft drip then I'll position it so it's over the top of the colander. If Sunny wants a bath, she will walk down my arm while I'm adjusting the tap and just get under the stream of water.

I reckon if your guest tiel is curious about having a little wash this will entice them too. If you don't have a colander you could put a large, upside down bowl into the sink. Just something big enough to create a platform for the water drops to hit and splash off of. Good luck! Let us know how you go!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'll give this a go after a couple weeks, as hopefully by then he'll like me more. I have a super weird request, can someone post a pic of their tiel poop? I've got no clue what it's meant to look like and internet images isn't helpful. It's actually surprisingly elusive to find a proper tiel poop pic.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The color varies with the diet, usually somewhere green to brown.
The shape, when not dropped from a high place, should be basically the same as a dog poop, just much thinner (about 1 mm wide, I think?) for the solids. After drying, it's usually surrounded by a white splash of urates.
Can't take photos right now.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Misting Spray Bottle.

Serra desperately needs it sometimes. Even if she is going to get all bitchy and try to run away, the second she gets good and wet she sits still and content.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Sera hates the spray bottle and prefers to be in the shower with me. On my shoulder, not in direct spray but close enough to get some splash. I usually put my hands in the water to direct the water towards him.

Ozzy sometimes will sit on my hands and be held near the shower, sometimes prefers the spray bottle, depending on how brave he's feeling. It took him nine months of me bringing him into the shower and giving him the opportunity before he decided "oh yes I like this actually" instead of standing passively.

Neither has ever bathed in a dish. Both sometimes refuse showers entirely.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Birds appreciate fancy baths

Or forbidden baths.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Bwahahaha! :kimchi:

Bathing Birds - I would never recommend using a straight up "Spray" bottle with a bird that doesn't want a bath. Be sure to get one of those "Mist" bottles. They have them in haircare sections of most groceries. It produces a much finer mist that doesn't smack the poor little bird with big or little water jets.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

This cheery soul has taken up residence in a hanging planter. I'm in SW British Columbia, I'm thinking either a spotted towhee or a house sparrow?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
That's a Dark-eyed Junco

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/davidcsimon/status/1546395987115388934

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Majora's Mask vibes.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
hello, all

welcome

to

birb

palace

Qubee
May 31, 2013

May I have the name of that cage? I'm looking to downsize my two as they're too drat big to wheel between rooms, which is frustrating as I wanted living room to be daytime fun and spare bedroom to be quiet nighttime peaceful hideyhole. But the cages I currently have are too big to fit through the doors.

I think it's the Montana brand? I like them, they have great build quality. Congrats on the new bird palatial estate, they're gonna freakin love it.

PS: how do you guys get your birds to not be terrified of other rooms? Chick is the closest bonded to me, she's the best little budgie in the whole wide world. She'll fly across the room to sit on my shoulders. But if I stand up and try to enter the hallway, she'll bail out of terror. How do I teach her that new rooms are okay, especially when she's on pop's shoulders?

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Qubee posted:

May I have the name of that cage? I'm looking to downsize my two as they're too drat big to wheel between rooms, which is frustrating as I wanted living room to be daytime fun and spare bedroom to be quiet nighttime peaceful hideyhole. But the cages I currently have are too big to fit through the doors.

I think it's the Montana brand? I like them, they have great build quality. Congrats on the new bird palatial estate, they're gonna freakin love it.

PS: how do you guys get your birds to not be terrified of other rooms? Chick is the closest bonded to me, she's the best little budgie in the whole wide world. She'll fly across the room to sit on my shoulders. But if I stand up and try to enter the hallway, she'll bail out of terror. How do I teach her that new rooms are okay, especially when she's on pop's shoulders?

Normal "desensitize an animal to stimulus" training :)

Check the room for any specific noises, colors or shapes that might be alarming her. After you've eliminated obvious things that scare her:

Distract her with treats while you're approaching the door.
Only give her high-quality/her favorite treat when working on this task for a week or so.
Make happy sounds, act calm and happy the entire time, even when she gets scared. Repeat calmly.

I had to go through this with Scamp earlier this year. He only wanted to be in one room - but repeating normal desensitization (and removing one frightening thing from the room) was successful within a few weeks. Now he'll go anywhere with me (most of the time :) )

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I had to interrupt bath-time with a photo

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Agrippa is a little smaller than Ozzy. He figured out that he can climb into the litter tray. He never had a playtop before; he figured out that he likes destroying paper

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Agrippa, where are you? Are you hiding under the paper you tore up? Are you bothering Nemo? Are you on Chirpy's cage? gently caress, where are you? Are you under the furniture? Where are

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

BUNNIES :kimchi:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Kenshin posted:

That's a Dark-eyed Junco

Thank you very much, yeah, now that I know what to look up it's a male Oregon group Junco. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Halloween Jack posted:

Agrippa, where are you? Are you hiding under the paper you tore up? Are you bothering Nemo? Are you on Chirpy's cage? gently caress, where are you? Are you under the furniture? Where are

Did he beat up the bunnies? I've known a fair few budgies and every single one would have been confident that they could beat up those bunnies.
Budgies basically want to play Shadow of the Colossus in real life every drat day.

update: just looked closer, and I believe that is a very handsome conure, so the bunnies are relatively safe?

edit: Hallow'een Jack, I am so sorry about Ozzy, it never gets any easier to lose such a good friend :(

edit 2: Qubee -I've lived with a few different bird species ; I have a personal guide if its any help at all:

-Budgies, lovely, brave, very fierce for their size.
-African grey - gentle, weird, clever, picky.
-Red-Rumped parakeet - absolutely insanely violent lunatics -DO NOT RECOMMEND.
-Cockatiel - Sweet, charming, loving, not terribly clever but exceptionally gentle and kind.

Budgies are far more assertive and stroppy than any cockatiel. My own long-lost Looloo got bullied away from all her favorite perches by a bossy little brat of a budgie called Spud, and he was less than a third her size.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 12, 2022