Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The SGDQ run of SM All Stars + SMW is wild. It’s a non-TAS run that uses ACE in SMW to basically beat each game super quick with some godmode abilities. The run is like 12 minutes and they explain a bit afterwords.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FlkWSqA4VFU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

site posted:

that seems about right for the people who advertised the sequel on gdq for like 6 years before it actually came out

And then had it be an autorunner lol

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

This is the craziest poo poo I've ever seen. I thought it started off as a fun showcase and... even having seen previous years TAS blocks, they managed to do things that I'd thought impossible, and they surprised me in other ways too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_pqyrf9lA

Just wanted to make sure no one sleeps on this. It's just mind-blowing. That loving finale bit.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Let me guess: ace by using several controller port inputs to create fake objects and actors and whatever by streaming data ala that gbc TAS that had a spongebob clip play

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ArfJason posted:

Let me guess: ace by using several controller port inputs to create fake objects and actors and whatever by streaming data ala that gbc TAS that had a spongebob clip play

Exactly. It's interesting if you are into ACE. (I am not.)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Ah. I generally like ace but i will not watch to confirm that.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The most interesting part of ACE (or, for that matter, any speedrun involving weird memory manipulation glitches) is the in-depth text writeup explaining how it works. Live videos never have time to explain anything so they end up either jumping from an incomprehensible mess to the credits, or from an incomprehensible mess to a demo of the romhack they just applied.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
In that regard it's also very worth watching Retro Game Mechanics Explained's (great channel btw) extremely in-depth, literally bit-by-bit explanation of how they did the code injection if you haven't:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBK1sq1BQ2Q

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Retro game explained and displaced gamers are absolutely top tier even for someone who understands basically nothing about programming

rox
Sep 7, 2016

yea as someone who knows approximately jack poo poo abt it, i love those channels dearly

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Bismuth put out another A Button Challenge video if anyone is following that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ArfJason posted:

Retro game explained and displaced gamers are absolutely top tier even for someone who understands basically nothing about programming

Agreed!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Snake Maze posted:

The most interesting part of ACE (or, for that matter, any speedrun involving weird memory manipulation glitches) is the in-depth text writeup explaining how it works. Live videos never have time to explain anything so they end up either jumping from an incomprehensible mess to the credits, or from an incomprehensible mess to a demo of the romhack they just applied.
That one pokemon yellow ACE tas wasn't actually romahcking it, it just wrote a movie player that used controller input as the movie. After which it could've displayed loving anything.

ZeGoggles
Jun 6, 2022
Flame Fatales 2022 Schedule dropped today! https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

fool of sound posted:

Bismuth put out another A Button Challenge video if anyone is following that.
Incidentally, there's a 39 page Imp Zone thread for the A Button Challenge.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Has there ever been a speedrunner who's faked their own cheating scandal?

Hell, have there been sports players who have done that? I would assume at least a handful given just how many sports have been played over the centuries.

Do people doing parody speedruns with 'dream luck' count?

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Congrats kariohki! D4D Groovy Mix is a neat thing to get in.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

ZeGoggles posted:

Flame Fatales 2022 Schedule dropped today! https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

really excited for a lot of these, lots of fun runs by rad people!

my group's next event which unfortunately ended up overlapping slightly with FF also dropped recently.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I think it was the same for Frost Fatales but it's a shame the event is US only meaning it basically only happens during the EU late evening/night time.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 9, 2022

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah the ff crew does not want to do 24hr

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Shcedule seems promising, but im not gonna watch it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
no one cares

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i care...

ZeGoggles
Jun 6, 2022

ArfJason posted:

Shcedule seems promising, but im not gonna watch it.

So brave.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Oyster posted:

Congrats kariohki! D4D Groovy Mix is a neat thing to get in.

Thanks! I'm hoping I can somewhat live up to the other rhythm showcases that have been on GDQ. I've shown Groovy Mix at four other events, with a fifth upcoming about two weeks before Fatales, but they've all been much smaller streams.

site posted:

yeah the ff crew does not want to do 24hr

I'd like for them someday to maybe extend it back three hours for a 9-10AM Eastern start to get a little more hours available, maybe when they can get more people trained up to run tech from the GDQ office.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

How did Studio get a 12 hour run for each day of the women-only marathon?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

The thing about those hours is you typically get a fairly large drop off in donations so there's a balancing act about how far you want to stretch your small team to cover those hours that, from the perspective of organizing a charity fundraiser, aren't accomplishing much.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yes who is this "GDQ Studio" person, I demand to know how they got the same game in five times. Corruption right at the very heart of games done quick I suspect.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

https://twitter.com/celeste_comm/status/1545904472404250624

Celeste sickos are hijacking the gdq stream next weekend to do a lockout bingo tournament.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
interesting. will not watch.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I'm going to watch it on two screens at the same time to make up for arf

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
fastest mario

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

SeXReX posted:

https://twitter.com/celeste_comm/status/1545904472404250624

Celeste sickos are hijacking the gdq stream next weekend to do a lockout bingo tournament.

edit: I made a bad photoshop merging the sickos meme and Celeste here. Link = https://imgur.com/97wzs28 This is a new one; the original kept the sicko's stubble which is a very bad thing for a character that is trans. I'm a loving dumbass and did not think through the implication. I swear I meant no harm, but I'm obviously a massive loving dumbass.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 10, 2022

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I, uh, wouldn't make art edits of a trans woman that gives her that kind of stubble

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Magnetic North posted:

It's kinda :effort: and I have no talent.

Thanks I hate it

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

neongrey posted:

I, uh, wouldn't make art edits of a trans woman that gives her that kind of stubble

gently caress I'm sorry I am a dumbass. I was just trying to merge my love of Celeste and the sicko meme. I've replaced it (I still had the GIMP file) with a less bad version and hidden it behind a link.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 10, 2022

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Magnetic North posted:

gently caress I am a dumbass. I was just trying to merge my love of Celeste and the sicko meme. I've hidden it behind a link.

at least there are always seekos

that is a seeker looking through the window at a novice speedrunner picking 5B because it's faster at high levels.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Magnetic North posted:

gently caress I'm sorry I am a dumbass. I was just trying to merge my love of Celeste and the sicko meme. I've replaced it (I still had the GIMP file) with a less bad version and hidden it behind a link.

Dumbassery comes for us all one day, my child

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Oh I love lockout bingo, that's awesome. I still wish there was more hollow knight randomiser lockout bingo tournament, that was so much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/RPGLimitBreak/status/1546230450502369281

hooray