Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Shane has been sending me pizzas and beers he found in the back of Jojomart two years after it closed.

Sounds like a cool dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I spent most of year 1 cozying up to Jodi and giving her presents, and then her husband shows up and tells me he's glad I'm part of the community and friends with his kids. Also he's been leaving bombs in my mailbox.

What a chill dude.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

dennyk posted:

I married Maru, but I'm not sure it's going well. I haven't gotten around to buying any furniture yet, and she spends every evening just standing in the corner staring at our one potted plant, and when I talk to her she just mumbles "Oh, don't worry, I'm not bored, I'm just appreciating everything we have..." while staring unblinkingly into the middle distance. She keeps "helping out with the farm" by watering my crops that are already watered via sprinklers and feeding my animals that all have automated feeding systems in their coops and barns, and then saying "Wow, farming is almost as interesting and complicated as working in a lab, isn't it?" while gazing wistfully towards the mountains to the northeast. And then yesterday morning she goes "Hey, I found this in my scrap pile; maybe you could use it for something!" and proceeds to hand me a platter of fried mushrooms. :crossarms: I think the monotony of farm life might have broken her...

this sounds like a creepypasta

i married abigail and she also seemed to be trying her damndest to still enjoy her life

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I married Emily and she is vibing in her crystal garden

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Alex loves working out, doing farmer's walks, watching football, and visiting his grandparents. I love my husband and I'm glad he's flourishing on our little patch of heaven.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

i do wish you could have a little more input into your spouse's life, i feel a twinge of guilt when i come home and abigail is just standing in the exact same spot she was when i left

the fact that she'll randomly give me crab cakes and bombs, though...that is good

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Omnicarus posted:

I married Emily and she is vibing in her crystal garden

Emily terrifies me. She's got the over-sincere blank-eyed smile of someone being one good argument away from committing murder.

I'm staying in her good books though, I ain't stupid. (I married Abigail, she's cool)

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Elliot won my heart, then as soon as we got married he hosed off out of town.

…the occasional letter he sends me is written beautifully, though.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's always the quiet ones that end up being serial murderers, though, so I'd almost be more worried about Penny.

Still married her, though. Haven't regretted it.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I also married Maru and yeah, she seems pretty checked out in this marriage. And she wanted a baby so bad and I said sure, hoping that she'd fially feel like she has some purpose here at the farm, but now that the new baby smell has worn off, she barely even acknowledges little Snubba.

In a previous life I brought Krobus up out of the sewer. Now there was an S tier housemate.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It's always the quiet ones that end up being serial murderers, though, so I'd almost be more worried about Penny.

Don't you be accusing Best Gal of serial murders, if anyone's doing that stuff it's Leah

"viscera is just such a visually stunning medium to work in, you see"

Penny just keeps on living her life, teaching the kids and helping out around town, it's just that once she gets married she has a solid foundation of support and love that she tries to reciprocate as opposed to the shaky foundation of mutual codependence and mild loathing she had living with Pam

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Don't you be accusing Best Gal of serial murders, if anyone's doing that stuff it's Leah

"viscera is just such a visually stunning medium to work in, you see"

Penny just keeps on living her life, teaching the kids and helping out around town, it's just that once she gets married she has a solid foundation of support and love that she tries to reciprocate as opposed to the shaky foundation of mutual codependence and mild loathing she had living with Pam

Yeah, I actually married her in my game and she will often greet me in the morning with hash browns, which is really sweet. I don't remember if I've said this before or not, but I don't get the sense that Penny needs someone to "save" her from Pam; more like you marry her and she thrives away from her mother's messy, alcoholic life.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I spent most of year 1 cozying up to Jodi and giving her presents, and then her husband shows up and tells me he's glad I'm part of the community and friends with his kids. Also he's been leaving bombs in my mailbox.

What a chill dude.

He says those bombs have been collecting dust in his shed. He’s been stockpiling for the revolution, and can spare a few.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
When you consider that Jodi apparently has a giant oversupply of fertilizer...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I married Alex once (it was very cute, he was nervous about being with another dude, but he got there) and then I married Penny next time. This time I am going for Elliot. I've gone kinda soft on him.

I do wish there were a couple of older people to marry though, if you want your farmer to be middle aged. Harvey is a doctor but he still comes off maybe 30ish to me. Let me marry Marnie or someone.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

HopperUK posted:

I do wish there were a couple of older people to marry though, if you want your farmer to be middle aged. Harvey is a doctor but he still comes off maybe 30ish to me. Let me marry Marnie or someone.

Let me kill George and marry Evelyn.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
Weird, when I married Penny I found she got real jealous when I kept trying to make friends with others.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
If I'm marrying Maru I like to devote one coop entirely to raising dinosaurs so she's always got something sciencey to do.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

tinned owl posted:

Weird, when I married Penny I found she got real jealous when I kept trying to make friends with others.

All the spouses get jealous if you give gifts to bachelor/ettes when it's not their birthday, that's not just Penny. I don't think they tell you every single time though, so there's probably just a chance of that happening.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So, uh, apparently your spouse can just give you a Stardrop? :stare:

Where did you get this, Abigail and were there more there?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's a one-time thing once they like you enough

they get it from the same place all the others come from - a sinister government laboratory

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So, uh, apparently your spouse can just give you a Stardrop? :stare:

Where did you get this, Abigail and were there more there?

Pretty sure you have to get them up to 14 hearts, the max. It’s a requirement if you’re going after the perfection goal from Mr. Qi, have to find all the Stardrops in the game.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Cartoon Man posted:

Pretty sure you have to get them up to 14 hearts, the max. It’s a requirement if you’re going after the perfection goal from Mr. Qi, have to find all the Stardrops in the game.

No just 12

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I've finally hit the point where my daily income is just stupid. My animals give me a baseline 10k off milk, mayo and truffles, I've JUST gotten the Greenhouse, and finished the house with the Cellar full of casks waiting for my wine to brew. Just got to up my Oak treefarm's size, because that's the bottleneck on more kegs.

Now I just need a way to not suck at fishing so I can stand a chance of completing the Community Center, because that's all that's left to it. :shepface:

Yeah, that's when it happened for me.

Nah, Penny's no serial killer. When she snaps, she's gonna kill Pam in a single moment of instinctive violence and everyone's going to have to stand around looking shocked and appalled while quietly being surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If Penny wasn't deeply attached to Pam on an emotional level as the only parent she still has, she would have left Pelican Town years ago

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've finally hit the point where my daily income is just stupid. My animals give me a baseline 10k off milk, mayo and truffles, I've JUST gotten the Greenhouse, and finished the house with the Cellar full of casks waiting for my wine to brew. Just got to up my Oak treefarm's size, because that's the bottleneck on more kegs.

Now I just need a way to not suck at fishing so I can stand a chance of completing the Community Center, because that's all that's left to it. :shepface:

Yeah, that's when it happened for me.

Nah, Penny's no serial killer. When she snaps, she's gonna kill Pam in a single moment of instinctive violence and everyone's going to have to stand around looking shocked and appalled while quietly being surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Is your fishing skill maxed out? It increases the length of the green bar. Are you using the iridium rod? Use trapper bobbers it reduces the speed with which the escape bar lowers when it’s outside the catch zone. You can also level fishing by planting a million crab pots somewhere. Make good that raises fishing beyond level 10 too, it really helps.

Edit:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The fishing skill improving food is awesome (especially since Willy sells Trout Soup so it's really convenient to grab a simple +1). This playthrough I learned the virtue of foraging-increasing food though, I got some Autumn's Bounty right before blackberry season and it pushed me up one in the number of berries I got from each bush. Incredibly useful.

I should probably use farming increasing food for big harvests but I always forget. Doesn't look like mining improvement is super useful outside of energy conservation.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Cooking always seems like a pain in Stardew. Not many dishes that use stuff from one season, lot of ingredients you can only (or almost only) buy. Don't even get the recipes until you are kind of bored with the game already.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

cooking is the one thing in the game i have never bothered with, even one single time

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Poque posted:

I should probably use farming increasing food for big harvests but I always forget. Doesn't look like mining improvement is super useful outside of energy conservation.

Farming skill is okay if you're selling your produce, but if you're jarring/kegging it, it's pointless since anything that goes into a jar or keg comes out as base quality. Maybe it might give you a double harvest slightly more often? I dunno. I have enough trouble burning through a season's worth of cranberries as it is. At least the Farmer's Lunch is cheap -- 1 egg, 1 milk, 1 parsnip.

Mining skill is pretty pointless. At "high levels" of play, you just run around and bomb everything you want to pick up rather than waste time with a pickaxe. For mining I usually run spicy eel and espresso buffs.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

mactheknife posted:

cooking is the one thing in the game i have never bothered with, even one single time

I think cooking would play a more important role if it was slightly revamped, whe player could only eat one meal a day, and the meal had longer and more impactful buffs (ie: upgrades watering can level by one while buff is active) - rather than what it is now where its purpose is to let my farmer consume his 13 sashimi meals for the day.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cartoon Man posted:

Is your fishing skill maxed out? It increases the length of the green bar. Are you using the iridium rod? Use trapper bobbers it reduces the speed with which the escape bar lowers when it’s outside the catch zone. You can also level fishing by planting a million crab pots somewhere. Make good that raises fishing beyond level 10 too, it really helps.

Edit:

Well I know what I'm doing then! :shepface: (My fishing skill is still 1)

Can I just stuff them into the ponds on my farm?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well I know what I'm doing then! :shepface: (My fishing skill is still 1)

Can I just stuff them into the ponds on my farm?

Get the training rod from Willy. It fixes your skill to 5 in exchange for only catching crappy (pun intended) fish. Good for skilling up. And you can put any fish and some of the crab pot boys in ponds on your farm, but you don't get any experience from fishing them out. Good for raising a stock of fish for food though.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Get the training rod for the first 5 or so levels, it takes a lot of the frustration out of early Fishing. You'll only be able to hook easy, unstarred fish, but at least you don't have to deal with the frustration of hooking a fish that's hard to catch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pththya-lyi posted:

Get the training rod for the first 5 or so levels, it takes a lot of the frustration out of early Fishing. You'll only be able to hook easy, unstarred fish, but at least you don't have to deal with the frustration of hooking a fish that's hard to catch.

Ahh, that makes more sense. :hmmyes:

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

If Penny wasn't deeply attached to Pam on an emotional level as the only parent she still has, she would have left Pelican Town years ago

Assuming she's a real teacher and not a glorified babysitter, she probably should have moved somewhere there's an actual school and more than 2 kids.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

She would have gone to college for starters

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

She would have gone to college for starters
Does she have a canon age? It's been forever since I fully read the dialogue rather than skim it so there might actually be something specific mentioned, but I think I can reasonably believe anything from just after high school and doing some babysitting/tutoring to put herself through some sort of distance learning program like Abi but without parents that can actually support her doing nothing to recent grad doing part-time work because she can't find a permanent job.

My head canon is that she went to online Uni because she couldn't afford to go away. Or the sad version is that she got a scholarship but couldn't leave Pam alone.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I think villagers' ages are pretty open to interpretation, but my sense is that Penny's around 23-24 and that Abigail is a hair younger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I think villagers' ages are pretty open to interpretation, but my sense is that Penny's around 23-24 and that Abigail is a hair younger.

Do all them next.