Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The meter slowing down when you use SAB attacks.

And the part of the game where they stick you with two people who do way way more damage in RAV and one of them is your first SAB unlock.

Yes but have you considered someone being an idiot and trying to push stagger entirely by alternating attacks with RAV Sazh and Vanille because they only buffed/debuffed at the start of combat because that is what they normally do in RPGs?

It is me. I am the idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Barudak posted:

I can pick FFVI if you'd prefer, since it takes about the same if not longer amount of time to have full party control in that game, because agreed FF IV sucks

I kind of have the same problem with 6 but at least it does eventually open up its system

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

a good rpg makes interesting use of the time when you have limited tools and then also gradually gives you more tools and increases the complexity of the combat so you have a reason to use them

if you send waves of one-hit enemies in the beginning, you've wasted my time

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Barudak posted:

I can pick FFVI if you'd prefer, since it takes about the same if not longer amount of time to have full party control in that game, because agreed FF IV sucks

FFVI is not good for several hours so this checks out.

I think it was after my first replay of IX many years ago now when I realized how long it takes you to get real control of your party. It's like halfway through the game, if not a little more. But for al its very real flaws, XIII does get more poo poo for doing the same thing as other FFs.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The same poo poo but worse. Put in an actual Gold Saucer in Nautilus, and settlements across Cocoon. A puzzle or two wouldn't hurt.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

grieving for Gandalf posted:

a good rpg makes interesting use of the time when you have limited tools and then also gradually gives you more tools and increases the complexity of the combat so you have a reason to use them

if you send waves of one-hit enemies in the beginning, you've wasted my time

This is why any port of ff1 after the ps1 version seems really pointless to me

I'm not gonna say that the gameplay in the first half of ff1 nes was especially fun or interesting but by removing most of the resource scarcity and adding auto-retargeting there's not really anything in there that isn't the game basically playing itself

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The same poo poo but worse. Put in an actual Gold Saucer in Nautilus, and settlements across Cocoon. A puzzle or two wouldn't hurt.

Oh absolutely. The FFX-XIII "but they're both linear" argument has been done to death, even just on the forums and stuff I visit, and it's always pointed out why it worked in X and not XIII.

There's a lot XIII does so spectacularly wrong it's notable as a flaw unique to it. But getting a party late just isn't one of those things for me.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

That's why you mod the level curve back to NES and run from like every fight.

Yes I made the level curve mod.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

FFXIII:

Unlike other Final Fantasies, there is no MP, HP is restored after battle, and there is no real penalty for losing a battle. Previous titles allowed you to play at your own pace (even with ATB, you could turn on Wait); Final Fantasy XIII rates you based on how quickly you end the battle, and the battle system is based around dealing an insane amount of damage in a short window.

I can see how it would be difficult for folks to change gears, or notice the other small things the game is trying to communicate in the limited character sections. I can see that, if you're too focused on actually selecting different attacks, or are more interested in the amount of damage you're doing, you don't notice how different roles affect the stagger meter. I can maybe see how you might blunder into the later chapters with a class selection that is something like com/com/rav, sen/med/med, rav/rav/sen, completely ignoring syn or sab because you underestimate their value...

But, I don't think there's any excuse not to notice what happens when you switch paradigms and sometimes do it really quickly. Maybe not understand the full mechanics behind it, but, the early game forces you switch fairly often due to your limited selection of classes that pattern recognition should kick in.

Really, the star system should be a clue that your tactics aren't working and may want to change it up. Seeing as FFXIII doesn't have New Game+, is the example of linearity, arbitrarily caps your stat gain per chapter, and often even limits the classes and characters you have available in the early game, the game practically screams "you're doing it wrong" if you are consistently getting 3 or fewer stars.

I don't mind it when not every single detail of how battle works is spelled out when it is observable or easy to discover with normal gameplay. I don't need Xenoblade 2 level of tutorials.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I can understand why someone would see themselves getting bad ratings on battles and dismiss it out of hand because gently caress you I'm winning the battle what does it matter if I didn't "do it right"? People are stubborn.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean I knew I was doing something wrong I just wasn't sure what to do right.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I would say FF13 and Xenoblade two are pretty comparable in that both are terrible at explaining what they want you to do while technically telling you what to do

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Score attack games take a certain mentality that people who are accustomed to RPGs may not care to acquire. Traditionally, the only measure of progress that matters is whether you got to the end, and the resources acquired along the way. Giving players a report card was something new to the series and rare in the genre, and it's quite understandable that some people just wouldn't give a poo poo about their grades until it affects something they do care about.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Alxprit posted:

I can understand why someone would see themselves getting bad ratings on battles and dismiss it out of hand because gently caress you I'm winning the battle what does it matter if I didn't "do it right"? People are stubborn.

I remember when I first played the game my instinctive response to getting my teeth kicked in by the boss was to turtle up, play defensively and keep someone on healing duty. It's what I've done in most JRPGs I've played, then or now.

I learned somewhat better in my second run, I guess, but it does just fly in the face of amy previous experience.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I remember when I first played the game my instinctive response to getting my teeth kicked in by the boss was to turtle up, play defensively and keep someone on healing duty. It's what I've done in most JRPGs I've played, then or now.

I learned somewhat better in my second run, I guess, but it does just fly in the face of amy previous experience.

Even in other JRPGs that is a pretty bad way to play. The rule to healing is that doing damage is also a method of healing by preventing further damage. Unless you are in danger zone for death it is always more effective to use a turn on Holy instead of Cure 3

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Octopath, while turn-based, had a similar stagger mechanic.

What if we put that combat in a more linear game, with better writing and less grind. Would we have a winner?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
one of the acid tests I use for playing turn-based JRPGs is if using buff/debuff commands is ever worthwhile versus just continuing to spam damage moves

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The stagger mechanic looks like it's becoming a Final Fantasy mainstay, which is cool because it's something I liked a lot in XIII. There's a version of it in VII Remake and apparently also in XVI.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Hellioning posted:

I mean I knew I was doing something wrong I just wasn't sure what to do right.

I remember in pork lift and wateyad’s LP he would do things like heal up his party when there was one enemy left with almost no HP. It was a really fun LP to listen to, I just had to ignore the video because it was so frustrating to watch. So much time spent on the Crystarium too.

His extremely cautious play style did let him beat some notoriously difficult bosses fairly easily though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Feels Villeneuve posted:

one of the acid tests I use for playing turn-based JRPGs is if using buff/debuff commands is ever worthwhile versus just continuing to spam damage moves
well if you haven't played Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass you sure should

also Crystal Project

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

:hai:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

well if you haven't played Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass you sure should

also Crystal Project

Be warned that Jimmy can be a real rough (in terms of content dealing with sensitive subjects) kinda game so maybe don't play it if you're looking for something light

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

I remember in pork lift and wateyad’s LP he would do things like heal up his party when there was one enemy left with almost no HP. It was a really fun LP to listen to, I just had to ignore the video because it was so frustrating to watch. So much time spent on the Crystarium too.

His extremely cautious play style did let him beat some notoriously difficult bosses fairly easily though.

I've talked about it a few times but my experience of the first two Bart fights are totally different between my two playthroughs. In my first run, Bart 1 was really hard and I don't remember Bart 2 being tough at all. In my second run, the one where I understood things a bit more and had also done a ton of grinding on Pulse, Bart 2 was impossible for me. I ended up having to use up all my grinded points to unlock additional Roles for Snow and maybe Hope, I forget but definitely got a new thing for Snow.

I can't remember why Bart 2 was nothing for me in my first run and such a serious roadblock in my second run. I definitely didn't have additional Roles unlocked or anybody in my first playthrough. My only guess is I was less concerned with star ratings and winning as fast as possible. If you just take your time, you can beat almost anything in the game in one attempt, probably.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Bart 2 has some specific parties that can make things easier since you still only have baby versions of certain roles for people.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

This is a bad way to play most rpgs. It leads you to doing slow and boring stats where you actively ignore engaging with the combat systems to try and slowly chip away at it. It's that kind of thinking that leads people to think the only way to win is to grind where they don't have to turtle up. A common reaction to rpgs that expect you to use their systems and master them.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That loving Sned posted:

I still don't know if the people live on the inside or the outside of Cocoon. Do they live on the inside and have a Fal'cie as an artificial sun? Then why can't you see the ocean curve up into the sky in Bodhum? Or if they live on the outside then why do you never see Pulse in the sky?

I decided to do a little bit of an effort post on this subject, because gently caress you, I felt like it. Okay.

(All figures from googling unless otherwise noted.)

According to the devs, the surface area of Cocoon is about the same as that of North America. North America has a surface area of 9.54 million mi², which is 24708486.57 kilometers². A sphere with a surface area of 24708486.57 kilometers² has a diameter of 2804.45281 kilometers. According to this site, the formula for the distance to the horizon when standing on the outer surface of a sphere is:

Since we're on the inside of a sphere, we need to modify it slightly to a = √[(-1*(r - h)² - r²)] - we're trying to see how far you can see before the surface curves up in front of you. So the formula is, using an average height of 2 meters:

√[(-1*(2804.45281-0.002)² -r²)] which comes out to 3.35 kilometers. So thats how far you should be able to see before the ground curves up into your line of sight. Of course, just like the horizon on the outside of a sphere, this would be affected by a lot of factors: weather, height above sea level, clarity of the air, and so forth, and we have exhausted and possibly exceeded my mathematical abilities. I took a screenshot looking out over the ocean in Bodhum and guess what:

That looks like it's curving up to me!

Now, I'm currently in the Sunleth Waterscape area, and they're pretty consistent with it here too:

Even in the battle scene background, they're consistent with it!

So, mystery solved, yes, the ground curves up into the sky in Cocoon.

One last thing about FFXIII: Apparently, when you complete your focus and turn into crystal, your clothes don't make the transition:

What I'm saying is, make the choice whether you're going to go for the chaste Aphrodite Rising From The Sea pose, or the confident Starman "look upon me and despair, ye mighty" pose.

Also, for all it's faults, the game is still very nice looking. If I've hosed up any of the math, please let me know.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 7, 2022

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Barudak posted:

So the issue is, you are doing the games systems with two people. The game splits itself into multiple groups of two where each group has different spreads of skills and thus fights different enemy types with different patterns and have different tools to deal with them. This isn't it limiting the system per se, so much as it is making sure you have everything you need to make informed decisions when it ups the difficulty in chapter 9 and gives you 3 party members and full spread of mixed enemy formations.

It is somewhat akin to saying FFIV doesn't start until you have your final party and all their spells, the game has started even if you don't have 100% of all tools.

It's mostly annoying at the beginning because, if you've played through to the end, you can't paradigm shift for quite awhile, and even when you can you don't have all your tools to go really fast

The game still functions just fine. It's just once you've gotten a taste of the beauty that is the fully unlocked FFXIII combat system it sucks going back to not having all your tools again, at least imo

woah, that's cool. I never would've noticed that tbh, I just sort of assumed they didn't bother

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 7, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I went from learning there was a FF13 released to learning it was set in a sky orb and seeing the pictures of the gently curving horizon in prerelease and ad copy to buying the game all in about 15 minutes during release week. I had mostly checked out of following new FFs in the late 2000s after trying and failing to get into FF12 repeatedly so it was a pleasant surprise a good FF released despite dev hell.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

I decided to do a little bit of an effort post on this subject, because gently caress you, I felt like it. Okay.

This is cool and I like the effort.

They should have just gone with something like this though. Makes it clear that you're not on a typical planet. You could look up or to the horizon and see the destination your characters are travelling to. Almost like navigating by the stars, but you're actually seeing the lights of Palumpolum in the sky or something.

I don't even remember if you see Eden in the sky outside of that one cutscene it's established in.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

any game with a Flanitor can't be all bad. also only the last hitpoint matters

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That loving Sned posted:

This is cool and I like the effort.

I actually forgot to mention a part of this: the cloud layer! The reason that there does seem to be a horizon or skyline is the cloud layer. Think of it as a slightly smaller thin-skinned sphere inside of the larger sphere of Cocoon. When you are trying to look at at something far away, you're looking through the relatively thin surface of the clouds, this isbwhy you can see far-away cities as "constellations" in Cocoons sky. However, when you try to look at a midrange target, your sight line is going parallel to the surface of the cloud layer, and therefore through a much larger amount of clouds.

Edit: I'm guessing that's Ringworld, and you can see the same effect there, but since Ringword is comparatively huge (it circles a sun), the clouds are much lower.

quote:

You could look up or to the horizon and see the destination your characters are travelling to. Almost like navigating by the stars, but you're actually seeing the lights of Palumpolum in the sky or something.

I think you might be half-remembering the game, because this literally happens. IIRC, at the beginning of the Vile Peaks section, Sazh points out the lights of Palumpolum to Hope, because that's Hope's hometown.

GloomMouse posted:

any game with a Flanitor can't be all bad. also only the last hitpoint matters

That was such a great pun name.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 7, 2022

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Flanitor is a top tier monster name and I hope future FFs use it.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

The Twinning was the flanitor's time to shine in FFXIV but the devs failed completely. Music is A+ but how could you forget them, Square?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

PunkBoy posted:

Flanitor is a top tier monster name and I hope future FFs use it.

:hmmyes:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
give me a gel can dance flandango

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Flanitor rules

Chainspell in FFXI also rules

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Need a game with the job system for flans.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I'm ready for Final Flantasy

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

zedprime posted:

Need a game with the job system for flans.

Phial of Flantasia to turn yourself into a flan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

excellent post

FrostyPox posted:

Chainspell in FFXI also rules

This is gonna be an incredibly specific gripe about an incredibly tiny and obscure detail, but I remember when I played FFXI as a kid there was some patch either just before or just after Chains of Promathia where they changed the combat log message for you hitting a 2-hour like Chainspell from "[Character name] uses Chainspell!" to "[Character name] uses Chainspell."

I hated that so much