Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cross posting to this thread as you all might also know.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Were there any plans discussed for the subcontinent's partition outside of those discussed between the british and the ultras?

What would a more democratic version of this partition look like? Would it have even happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

RWN's series on the civil war has really made me realize how revisionist the history I was taught in school was.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

As brilliant a self-own as this is, I think July 4th is an even more important one because Vicksburg is taken and Confederate troops are beaten at Helena so it's the decisive smackdown that the Confederacy is cut in half and they no longer have a way to get troops or supplies across the Mississippi in any great numbers.

And then the salty losers that they were, didn't celebrate the 4th for ~70 years.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I think it's important to remember that the Civil War lasted till 1877 and the South won

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

the uk isn't a democracy

How so?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Weka posted:

How so?

who's the head of state again

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Weka posted:

How so?
Powerful royal institutions, headed by a queen that has been in power for as long as basically any politician has been in office, an unrepresentative political system, as well as laws that allow the powerful to suppress basically any stories that cast them in a bad light.

e: oh yeah, the capture of state media by one political party too, further decreasing the public's ability to make informed decisions

A Buttery Pastry has issued a correction as of 18:25 on Jul 6, 2022

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

let's not forget that the feudal system is still a thing in the UK

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Venomous posted:

let's not forget that the feudal system is still a thing in the UK
Yeah, it's probably not fair to just roll that up in the royal institutions bit, even if the two are related. In terms of political reform towards a more democratic system, the British system is the equivalent of pre-1849 to 1915 Denmark, depending on which exact aspect you're looking at. And it's not like Denmark is a perfectly democratic state with no royals, a perfect voting system, and no moneyed interests influencing politics.

Another indicator of being undemocratic is voter participation rates, which are kinda poo poo.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

britains a shithole

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Powerful royal institutions, headed by a queen that has been in power for as long as basically any politician has been in office, an unrepresentative political system, as well as laws that allow the powerful to suppress basically any stories that cast them in a bad light.

e: oh yeah, the capture of state media by one political party too, further decreasing the public's ability to make informed decisions

Most people in the UK seem to support keeping the monarchy so I'm not sure getting rid of it would be democratic.
FPP might not be perfectly democratic, but then what is? It is a flawed democratic system. Athens was a democracy, just a very flawed one.
The last two are just problems you tend to see in democracys. You would probably see them in some hypothetical ideal democracy.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You are literally posting this unironically

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I mean, the US isn't a democracy either. Your vote is meaningless, by design.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You are literally posting this unironically

Oh poo poo did you take that as a moral justification for the UK in any sense? I'm not really a fan of democracy, although it's not necessarily a bad thing. The UK would be an example to me of a democracy that stinks, like real bad.
You seem to have some sort of higher standard of democracy than me though. Would you mind telling me what it is and how it avoids the pitfalls of something like Blightey's democracy?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Weka posted:

Most people in the UK seem to support keeping the monarchy so I'm not sure getting rid of it would be democratic.
FPP might not be perfectly democratic, but then what is? It is a flawed democratic system. Athens was a democracy, just a very flawed one.
The last two are just problems you tend to see in democracys. You would probably see them in some hypothetical ideal democracy.

Tyranny, you say? How can you tyrannize someone who cannot feel pain?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Tyranny, you say? How can you tyrannize someone who cannot feel pain?

Tyranny against the British is like inflicting pain on a bacteria; does it really count?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Weka posted:

Oh poo poo did you take that as a moral justification for the UK in any sense? I'm not really a fan of democracy, although it's not necessarily a bad thing. The UK would be an example to me of a democracy that stinks, like real bad.
You seem to have some sort of higher standard of democracy than me though. Would you mind telling me what it is and how it avoids the pitfalls of something like Blightey's democracy?

I'm not on trial here. No monarchy is a loving democracy

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Weka posted:

If something is sufficiently flawed compared to the standard, then it should not count as belonging to that group. And while I am not sure I'd call any existing state a true democracy, the UK is so far from meeting the standard that it doesn't even belong to the charitable "flawed democracy" group.

I definitely would not call Athens a democracy either. The percentage of the population who were able to participate was like 30%, and only 10-20% did. There is no world where that is a democracy.

Weka
May 5, 2019

I'm not on trial here. No monarchy is a loving democracy

I'm sorry if my asking you to explain your position made you feel attacked buddy. What if you could vote for the king? I really feel like you're coming at this from an American democratic ideals perspective and that's a pretty narrow view.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If something is sufficiently flawed compared to the standard, then it should not count as belonging to that group. And while I am not sure I'd call any existing state a true democracy, the UK is so far from meeting the standard that it doesn't even belong to the charitable "flawed democracy" group.

I definitely would not call Athens a democracy either. The percentage of the population who were able to participate was like 30%, and only 10-20% did. There is no world where that is a democracy.

The world where Athens is a democracy is classical Greece, where it was more democratic than most.
What actually existing polities would you consider good enough to count?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Weka posted:

what if you could vote for the king?

What if there was no King, ever?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

no such thing as "democracy" there are democratic practices that can be adhered to, but there is no government that is an open democracy the way people think that democratic liberal societies are. There is always some cavaet in the system which can be manipulated. An upper house, a lower house, an executive. This leads to there being levers of power that individuals within the system can apply pressure to.

There are different systems designed to serve specific ruling classes but the end result is the same, all the power concentrated in the hands of a small number of societal elites. Just because those elites tug the forelock to a figurehead in the form of a queen doesn't necessarily make it Not A Democracy. Its a constitutional monarchy. Which is a parliament with a queen as a figurehead. The power is in the hands of the party members, who are backed by concerned citizens, very wealthy ones usually. That this particular figure head has an honest to God cult of personality complicates things for the politicians. Had the queen died young I think you'd see a much greatly reduced royal family (and not just because she didn't give birth to all the important ones.)

Anyway, the point is you're splitting hairs describing dictatorship of the bourgeois.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Weka posted:

The world where Athens is a democracy is classical Greece, where it was more democratic than most.
You shouldn't grade democracy on a curve.

Weka posted:

What actually existing polities would you consider good enough to count?
None. If we accept liberal democracies, then I'd first look at voter turnout. Based on Belgium and Australia getting turnouts of around 90% with compulsory voting, maybe any country without compulsory voting and a turnout of +80% with universal voting rights. Because at least the population believes it's worth participating, which should indicate some form of representation within the logic of liberal democracy. Flawed liberal democracies can be the 75-80% group.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

america’s founding fathers appear in the clouds with a big thumbs up. Once we get rid of the monarchy everything will be fine…

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

TheSlutPit posted:

america’s founding fathers appear in the clouds with a big thumbs up. Once we get rid of the monarchy everything will be fine…
America got rid of the title of king, not the monarchy. The American president is a monarch.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Weka posted:

How the gently caress was Athens a democracy?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Don't look at me they invented the word.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

A Buttery Pastry posted:

America got rid of the title of king, not the monarchy. The American president is a monarch.

He's actually an executive because America is a business.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

He's actually an executive because America is a business.
Those are synonyms when the state is a business.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

Don't look at me they invented the word.

Greeks lie.

They have amazing food though so I forgive them.

Weka
May 5, 2019

So you would deny the people what the majority of them wants for ideological reasons? Perhaps you too think democracy ain't that great.

Orange Devil posted:

How the gently caress was Athens a democracy?

A certain category of people voted on laws. Much like now when anyone but the most bedtime hating anarchist thinks that the right to vote should be limited to certain categories, ie over a certain age. Our selection of these categories is probably better than theirs. However in some ways it was more democratic than modern democracys, being direct rather than representative.

Democracy is a system and you all shouldn't assign it a positive moral value. It's just hamburger brained nonsense.

Southpaugh posted:

Anyway, the point is you're splitting hairs describing dictatorship of the bourgeois.

This fellow gets it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

what if we create a system of government for just the fellas

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

what if we create a system of government for just the fellas

there was that group of swedish nazi bodybuilders who wanted to start a male ethnostate in the woods but i dunno if that's still on

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Weka posted:

So you would deny the people what the majority of them wants for ideological reasons? Perhaps you too think democracy ain't that great.

This is the politics version of “we should let people sign slave contracts.”

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

that aligns well with calling a slave state a democracy

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Dustcat posted:

there was that group of swedish nazi bodybuilders who wanted to start a male ethnostate in the woods but i dunno if that's still on

riff it out

Weka
May 5, 2019

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think it's pretty clear from what I've been saying I think people should not have complete freedom of choice to do things like this. What is up with you all processing criticism of democracy as my using democracy as a presumed good?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

So when does the class of people allowed to vote in a democracy become so restricted that it no longer qualifies as a democracy, in your view?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The Korean War - Bruce Cumings

I finished that awful book about the Civil War and started this. I'm only on the second chapter but this book rules. Excellent recommend

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Looking for a good book about the history of the soviet union that isn't Tankie nonsense but isn't Communism BAD! Ditto one about the rise of Putin thats not free market good, Putin not free market therefore Putin evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I asked vyelkin about books on that subject a while ago and this is what he gave me:

quote:

1) Stephen Kotkin, Magnetic Mountain, a thick academic book about the nature of Stalinism and Soviet life. Really good and surprisingly accessible for an academic history, and very influential on the field's understanding of life in the USSR.

2) Karl Schlögel, Moscow 1937. A bit of an odd book that tries to just kind of give a panorama of what Moscow was like in the single pivotal year of 1937, but does a pretty good job of it. Also pretty easy to read since a lot of the chapters are shorter and focus on specific people or events.

3) James Harris, The Great Fear. A recent (and mercifully short) book that wants to update our understanding of Soviet motivations for the Great Purge/Terror, and that I think does a good job of it.

4) Comedy option, Yuri Slezkine's The House of Government. A doorstop that a lot of people treated as a masterpiece when it came out but that is, as one esteemed scholar put it, "too long to be good".