Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

steinrokkan posted:

Does it have any personal touches, or is it just the wiki before the wiki?

Just the latter, really, but it's nice to have sitting on the desk for reference sometimes. I have like 5 of the LNP apps open over two monitors, it's nice to not have to open another app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I bought that just because the idea that someone wrote a book on dwarf fortress was so absurd that I felt like I had to, even though I already knew how to play.

Not only that, but it was sold on a site mostly known for selling highly technical manuals on like esoteric C++ techniques and poo poo.

Wolfechu posted:

Just the latter, really, but it's nice to have sitting on the desk for reference sometimes. I have like 5 of the LNP apps open over two monitors, it's nice to not have to open another app

I had the keybindings for adventure mode printed out and taped to the wall behind my monitor for a year

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I've still got the key sequences for building walls and doors seared in and I haven't touched this for at least 3 years.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Toady posted:

I got started on the settings menu. Switching between windowed and fullscreen mode has always been fast with F11, but now additionally in the settings video tab you get a drop down list of available resolutions if you'd like to switch for any reason during play. I'm currently adding in the rest of the options from init and d_init to various tabs. Yesterday I handled file i/o. You'll normally leave the data/init files alone. Instead your changes would be saved over in a prefs folder. You won't need to touch these outside the game if you don't want to, but if you like messing with txts, they'd be there to fiddle with, and updates of the game you download would never overwrite your changes (it will need to overwrite the default files when new options are added etc.)

Settings are available from the title screen and afterward, but the embark difficulty options become available in their own tab once you start play (you also see them when you embark.) It's a subject of discussion whether there should be some sort of Iron Dwarf mode that prevents the player from accessing them, since I know people can go either way on that. There'll probably be a thing or two like that. I'm putting FPS-sensitive stuff like temperature and weather over in a different section you will always have available regardless of how that shakes out.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
It's hard to justify an iron dwarf mode because of how easy dwarf fortress is on its face. Even without traps or drawbridges or moats or whatever my fortress has beaten three forgotten beasts and a hill giant with minimal military investment, just a ragtag single squad of random weapon users.

Like you almost have to try to get a game over, so what would be the point of an ironman mode?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

All my game overs have been on a siege when I realized I left the bridge i built five seasons ago with retract rather than close.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Include a "living legends" mode where you have a chance to randomly inhabit other players' world maps if it fits your parameters. They had a pocket island that stopped worldgen at year 20? Well I guess you've got some history to catch up on, son

palindrome fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 6, 2022

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Not entirely accurate, but fair

https://twitter.com/lumnmch/status/1543687491819130884

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Painstakingly checking the info and relationship screens of every incoming immigrant is a pretty reliable way to identify vampires, but I'm pretty tired of it. I'm thinking of locking all immigrants in a big, finely decorated room with beds and some workshops but no food and waiting until they're all hungry before letting them out. Any reason this won't work?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If you capture and train a Giant Bat as a hunting animal and tie it to a chain in your entrance it will enter combat with any vampire that walks by.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Pretty sure that’s bullshit

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

If you capture and train a Giant Bat as a hunting animal and tie it to a chain in your entrance it will enter combat with any vampire that walks by.

this is a post a vampire would make

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If you import or grow garlic and use stockpile manipulation to ensure it gets used for prepared meals then vampires will start bleeding from the gums in your dining hall, thus exposing them.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

M_Gargantua posted:

If you import or grow garlic and use stockpile manipulation to ensure it gets used for prepared meals then vampires will start bleeding from the gums in your dining hall, thus exposing them.

i's there some informal law about things that sounds plausible in dwarf fortress, but it's impossible to know for sure without rigorous testing.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Spanish Matlock posted:

It's hard to justify an iron dwarf mode because of how easy dwarf fortress is on its face. Even without traps or drawbridges or moats or whatever my fortress has beaten three forgotten beasts and a hill giant with minimal military investment, just a ragtag single squad of random weapon users.

Like you almost have to try to get a game over, so what would be the point of an ironman mode?

This definitely is not the case for non-veterans--there's a reason the tagline is "losing is fun." And there are plenty of states other than "game over" that might make you want to restart. The first few times you face a siege or megabeast or cavern breach, or try messing with moving water or magma, or even just keeping your basic agriculture balanced with big migrant waves, can lead to major death spirals, since it can be hard to even tell that a problem is happening until it's too late to fix, assuming you even know the solution.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

When I started playing I died an awful lot to "I tried to make an aquifer but instead instantly flooded my dining hall"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ah yes my several embarrassing fortress wipes due to terrible attempts at breaching the underground river for irrigation. :allears:

Sometimes I kinda miss the straightforward deeper-into-the-mountain progression of Pre-Z dwarf fortress, to be honest.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I have accidentally ended so many forts via water physics

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Arrath posted:

Ah yes my several embarrassing fortress wipes due to terrible attempts at breaching the underground river for irrigation. :allears:

Sometimes I kinda miss the straightforward deeper-into-the-mountain progression of Pre-Z dwarf fortress, to be honest.

I would love a psuedo-2d mode where he sticks you on a 1 z level map configured to have the dig-too-deep into the walls and somehow bring back menacing monkeys and elephants. He's gonna get a ton of players who have been playing shallow DF-lites and the 1z format might be more familiar to them.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Is there any known way to edit the raws in such a way that goblins are still... y'know, goblins, but don't inevitably conquer the world in 150 years every time?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I would love a psuedo-2d mode where he sticks you on a 1 z level map configured to have the dig-too-deep into the walls and somehow bring back menacing monkeys and elephants. He's gonna get a ton of players who have been playing shallow DF-lites and the 1z format might be more familiar to them.

That's a fair point, it would be a good way to let players dip their toes into the game while keeping it a bit simpler.

God knows I still build my Rimworld bases that way, finding a nice big mountain to cozy up against and dig into.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

VideoWitch posted:

My favorite horrible disaster was when I embarked on what I thought was a permafrost tile. I dug a shallow fort in the ice, thinking everything was fine and dandy. Then came summer and it turned out I dug all my rooms centered on a very not-frozen and very active river. Everyone died immediately except one dwarf.

That dwarf, Urist McSmith, spent his final days locked in his submerged bedroom like some doomed Pearl Harbor sailor. What he thought was a transient accommodation in the topsoil became his eternal resting place. Godspeed, Urist. :911:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
haha i do that with dwarf forts too, Sure, you can dig down anywhere, but in my head I'm still visualizing the place in 3d like minecraft, and carving into a natural looking landscape beats building walls around a staircase i dig to hell and back.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

VideoWitch posted:

My favourite was in 40d where I had all my stockpiles on the entrance floor, my workshops above, dining and bedrooms below. Then I found the underground river on the map, which turned out to have multiple waterfalls in it and was pressurised (I did not know this at the time), and I botched breaching it for a reservoir when it flooded a mechanical shaft and went into the stockpile floor.

The result: 168 dwarves drowned, 12 survived on the workshop floor, and my stockpiles were washed out the front door of the fort and into a very large walled off area that became a lake. The twelve surviving dwarves subsequently went insane and murdered each other.

The most memorable bit was the moment I noticed that a dwarf had failed to construct that one bit of wall and the job had been automatically flagged "do not do" or forbidden or whatever it was and I realised that there was no hope in hell of me stopping the disaster about to unfold and I just covered my face with my hands and went "gently caress".

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I intentionally breached an aquifer on one of my first forts because I hadn't prepared for goblins and got a siege. I like to imagine the lone dwarf with his pickaxe singing a song at the top of his lungs as he smashed down the wall and drowned everyone, dwarf and goblin alike. It felt like an appropriate end to that game.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I hope the steam version ships with some different audio tracks because I just started playing this again a couple of days ago for the first time in a few years and jfc that guitar has been haunting my brain constantly since then

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Thanks dickhead, Toady just stopped all Steam DF development to implement realistic horsehair toothbrushes.

This toothbrush menaces with spikes of plaque.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Thanks dickhead, Toady just stopped all Steam DF development to implement realistic horsehair toothbrushes.

This toothbrush menaces with spikes of plaque.

This carving is of a Dwarven Breadmaker brushing his teeth. The toothbrush is made of chicken bone and horse hair. The toothbrush menaces with spikes of Andesite. The Dwarf's gums are bleeding. The Dwarf is screaming. The Toothbrush is screaming. The Bleeding gums are screaming.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Lemon posted:

I hope the steam version ships with some different audio tracks because I just started playing this again a couple of days ago for the first time in a few years and jfc that guitar has been haunting my brain constantly since then

Grab the lazy newb pack, it comes with Soundsense and there's a ton more music in there that really fits the game. It gets repetitive too eventually, but then anything is going to given how long games of DF can last

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if they'll record more music for the steam release. It would be kind of odd if they put all this effort into sprucing the UI and graphics up and just left in the same single guitar track.

I love that track though, just give me more of that and I'd be happy.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

That singular track is really great, and learning that Toady composed it himself made it even greater!

Lemon
May 22, 2003

oh yeah just to clarify I do like the track it was just driving me slightly mad

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Well just the other page had a roadmap posted
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/3099043827445055732

And a quote from that:

quote:

1. Finish the menus that haven't been upgraded yet. These include the graphics and layout for justice, health, diplomacy, and hauling. These aren't small tasks; each will take weeks. I'll also be working with Jacob during this period on the sprites we need to update throughout the project. He submitted the new weapons recently, for instance, and I also got a new batch of music from the composer. It's important to get these things incorporated in a timely fashion so everybody can keep working.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lemon posted:

oh yeah just to clarify I do like the track it was just driving me slightly mad

That just means it's working. Keep playing it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Well just the other page had a roadmap posted
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/3099043827445055732

And a quote from that:

Oh nice, didn't realize they had someone working on that. Kinda bummed it won't be Tarn just jamming out though. Hopefully it's more acoustic guitar.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Holy smokes steam workshop support! I didn’t know that was in the plan, that’s awesome.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I imagine Matt Uelman remastering Tarn's music would have been incredible.

Do we know who the new composer is? Do they have any previous work?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Mzbundifund posted:

Holy smokes steam workshop support! I didn’t know that was in the plan, that’s awesome.

Congrats to the first person to make a "no aqueducts" mod

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You mean aquifers? That's also one of the things that are supposed to be fixed/improved in the upcoming version, making them less difficult to get past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They are plenty easy to get past, you just click "disable aquifers" in the Lazy Newbie config tool when you install DF.