Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sebzilla posted:

War never changes and Flamin' Hot remains the Correct flavour of Munch.

...See you in another 3 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

The Webb telescope is going to show that everywhere else is fine and it's just us that messed up.

I hope that it accidentally proves the Zoo Hypothesis within the Fermi Paradox, and we find out that we're not alone in the galaxy/universe, we're just being kept at arms length and perhaps cared for. That would be very wholesome.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Finding evidence of alien life is the absolute worst resolution to the Great Filter and basically means we are completely doomed.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/07/no-new-policies-under-my-leadership-boris-johnson-confirms

Congrats UK, while they sort out this hissy fit you will have no government for several months.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lid posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/07/no-new-policies-under-my-leadership-boris-johnson-confirms

Congrats UK, while they sort out this hissy fit you will have no government for several months.

Again the government goes on holiday over the summer anyway so that is quite normal.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Boris Jobrexitson.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
How mad must boris be knowing that if he could held onto power for a few more years he probably could have just ignored democracy altogether like the US conservatives are going to

Must really burn him getting that close.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OwlFancier posted:

Again the government goes on holiday over the summer anyway so that is quite normal.

They loving love not doing any work. The entire DWP is a monument to projection

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I hope that it accidentally proves the Zoo Hypothesis within the Fermi Paradox, and we find out that we're not alone in the galaxy/universe, we're just being kept at arms length and perhaps cared for. That would be very wholesome.

Why should they?
'Aw lets take care of these creatures that happily kill each other due to anything different than themselves. They might accept us as equals in a few millennia.'
Nah, there is a beacon somewhere in the solar system, obviously undetectable by us, with two messages on it.
The first is to warn other space farers to leave us alone, as we will try to gently caress them, sell them poo poo, sell THEM as slaves, teach them our religions, and again kill them for any differences we perceive 5 mins after the 'welcome space brothers' aura fades.
The second is for us, when we do get to detect it, and it will say 'This solar system is yours. You do not own anything else. When you are ready, you will be contacted.'

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

happyhippy posted:

Why should they?
'Aw lets take care of these creatures that happily kill each other due to anything different than themselves. They might accept us as equals in a few millennia.'
Nah, there is a beacon somewhere in the solar system, obviously undetectable by us, with two messages on it.
The first is to warn other space farers to leave us alone, as we will try to gently caress them, sell them poo poo, sell THEM as slaves, teach them our religions, and again kill them for any differences we perceive 5 mins after the 'welcome space brothers' aura fades.
The second is for us, when we do get to detect it, and it will say 'This solar system is yours. You do not own anything else. When you are ready, you will be contacted.'

Well it would be like a Zoo, we wouldn't be a threat to them, and our containment would provide them with entertainment, and perhaps a sense of stewardship and thus a moral mandate for controlling the galaxy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know if it counts as containment if humans just keep killing each other and doing stupid poo poo. It's like watching a wild animal scream at its own balls until it passes out and saying "yep, got that one contained"

Containment in the sense that the habsburg monarchy was contained.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
How the hell could we recognize signs of intelligence outside Earth when we can't even define signs of intelligence on Earth

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

gregday posted:

Finding evidence of alien life is the absolute worst resolution to the Great Filter and basically means we are completely doomed.

Do you mean in the sense that it would prove that we aren't the first sapient species? While knowing that we are the first would be very comforting for the Great Filter hypothesis, it would be unprovable, and the Dyson Dilemma is still there. Anyway sorry, I feel like I'm causing a weird derail on this holiest of nights.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pretty obvious that the Webb Telescope is going to reveal us to the rest of the Dark Forest and we’ll be blown to smithereens by hostile aliens soon

Well deserved

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought the simplest answer is just that faster than light travel is impossible and so interstellar society (and quite probably interplanetary society, owing to the energy requirements) are practically impossible.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Scientastic posted:

Pretty obvious that the Webb Telescope is going to reveal us to the rest of the Dark Forest and we’ll be blown to smithereens by hostile aliens soon

Well deserved

Carl Sagan doomed us when he sent out the golden record, at least it looked really cool

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
What is wrong with posh people

https://twitter.com/shehabkhan/status/1545130286203260933?s=21&t=03_338E_mid1qgBURi1ikw

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I thought the simplest answer is just that faster than light travel is impossible and so interstellar society (and quite probably interplanetary society, owing to the energy requirements) are practically impossible.

The thing is if you give a species of say, expansionist hairless apes, just one million years to start colonising the galaxy, they don't even need FTL. When you factor in that the galaxy has had billions of years where it has had the heavier elements and the more mature star systems necessary for life as we understand it, the galaxy should be teeming with life.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We have a robot colony on mars.

I'm yet to be jaded enough not to think this is the coolest poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brendan Rodgers posted:

The thing is if you give a species of say, expansionist hairless apes, just one million years to start colonising the galaxy, they don't even need FTL. When you factor in that the galaxy has had billions of years where it has had the heavier elements and the more mature star systems necessary for life as we understand it, the galaxy should be teeming with life.

That still doesn't mean that there are any places people would like to live near us, or that we would know if anyone was living on them if there were. Even if the galaxy is full of life there probably are not going to be very many space ships flying around or people blasting radio transmissions all over the place.

Also as different planets would have no meaningful contact with each other, it begs the question of why anyone would bother after maybe the first one. There's no centralization of resources over that sort of distance, barely any communication, no cohesive society or governance or ability to project power. You would just be firing off colony ships into the void for the sake of it. And even theoretically habitable worlds are likely to be vastly more hostile than anywhere on earth due to entirely alien biospheres we are completely unadapted to.

Considering that space exploration is a quite low priority now because of the lack of utility it offers, it seems pretty reasonable that nobody would bother with it on a large scale. It's a lot of resources for almost certainly zero gain for the people doing it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 7, 2022

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

When money is no object and you're incredibly removed from the day to day struggles of existance, you'll buy any old mad poo poo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

There's no centralization of resources over that sort of distance, barely any communication, no cohesive society or governance or ability to project power. You would just be firing off colony ships into the void for the sake of it.
Boris Johnson's work and family strategies.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Brendan Rodgers posted:

the intergalactic equivalent of sentinel island

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's like if columbus set off for america except there was literally no chance he could ever return, or that there would be any natives he could murder and steal gold off of, because if there were any he would be outnumbered a billion to one and completely cut off from support. Probably wouldn't have bothered.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Lid posted:

Welcome to Northern Ireland... forever!!! :torygov: :shrek:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Rarity posted:

We've been blinkered on trying to recruit a Brit for too long, it's time to get in the best talent in the world

Technically the last chap was a yank.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
The tedious pragmatism of goons.

The actual reason to colonise other planets is it would be super loving cool and definitely bragworthy

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1545125052206780417

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

It's like if columbus set off for america except there was literally no chance he could ever return, or that there would be any natives he could murder and steal gold off of, because if there were any he would be outnumbered a billion to one and completely cut off from support. Probably wouldn't have bothered.

Salt by Adam Roberts explores this and is well worth reading if you like scifi.
I sometimes wonder if settling other planets is a bit like the original settlement of some of the remote islands of the south pacific like Easter Island. Polynesians were excellent navigators and sailors given what they had, but what would you have to be escaping for it to be a rational choice to put your family and entire material possessions in a flimsy little vessel and head out into the emptiness.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

trolleys and rugs and chairs and poo poo aren't a renovation... theyre just 20k of expensive poo poo you buy to put in a flat whether its renovated or not? wtf?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would assume they probably discovered and explored the islands before setting out with all the stuff, and already living on small islands presumably the want is "some loving space"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I'm more surprised by how staggeringly ugly it all looks.

Even though I'm sure it was arranged to looks so intentionally.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Private Speech posted:

I'm more surprised by how staggeringly ugly it all looks.

Even though I'm sure it was arranged to looks so intentionally.

The government, the planet, the universe.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Carl Sagan doomed us when he sent out the golden record, at least it looked really cool

It did have a message from a member of the SS though so plusses and minuses to the golden record definitely

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

learnincurve posted:

We have a robot colony on mars.

I'm yet to be jaded enough not to think this is the coolest poo poo.

The Mysterons?

Brendan Rodgers posted:

yeah I've got megatron holding mine. I say holding, it's tucked behind between his head and the dino kibble on his back like a halo

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I would assume they probably discovered and explored the islands before setting out with all the stuff, and already living on small islands presumably the want is "some loving space"

In the case of Easter Island the king had a dream and sent a bunch of people out in a random direction where there was no record of land.

Not recorded: how many other times he pulled that stunt.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1545109628870168578?t=5UN-J9Dor6HWTMIw3KeJ_w&s=19

Alright we have new ministers start the resignation counter again.

Ah good, Johnny Mercer, the guy who thinks you shouldn't be allowed to prosecute soldiers who do war crimes is in the cabinet. Fucksake, Boris's supporters really are the worst

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I wish Boris Johnson well on finding his next mistress to impregnate.

I too, am a gentleman who refuses to pull out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes