Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
mouthful mode has gone too far

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Juicebox Arcade would be a pretty funny joke on obnoxious AI in Puyo Puyo clones if it weren't like a tenth of Last Call lol

It's cute how it's smart enough to know how to block the blocks in a way that hard counters every potential combo at the time though

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Please ignore my clothes on the floor, I have an important update:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

no one ever asks who put the cat in the bag

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rarity posted:

Where's the Adult Bowsette set?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

There was some talk of ugly video game protags earlier, and my contribution is this:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
gamestop crashing again

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1545137465748590593?s=20&t=L9cMGFNrEeNyWXvM0RfBFQ

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Let's all buy it and tank another hedge fund

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Gamestinks

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

didn't the hedge funds win last time around

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I hope all of the retail people are able to find new jobs quickly. GameStop has been going downhill and has been operating at a huge loss for years now. About the only thing good about them has been from a few years ago when their stock killed a bunch of hedge funds.

GameStop should probably just pull out of the physical retail space, and be like NewEgg, but with a focus on video games, and gaming merchandise. Minus the FunkoPops.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The house always wins

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hedge funds are not a monolith, some got a bunch of money out of it and some didn't

which is one the billion reasons why the "we are owning the hedge funds" thing was very dumb

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't bother going to gamestop anymore even just to browse, barely any of the store is dedicated to games and you'd be hard pressed to find anything you couldn't at the nearest walmart, which for me is literally next door.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The convenience of online retail and all-in-one stores is pretty undeniable, but I can't help but feel a tinge of sadness seeing stores like Gamestop go the way of the dodo. Popping into the mall's local EB Games and browsing through the stacks was a magical experience as a kid.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
lucky enough to have an independent/retro store that also has newish stuff in, but yeah not everyone has those rip

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My Walmart still keeps games and controllers behind glass and my dumbass always feels bad bothering an employee just so they can radio in the game guy who is on the other side of the store stocking oranges just to get a game for me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This is why I like Best Buy, since each game is individually sealed and they just open it at the register.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

With Best Buy too if you buy a digital code, they will sometimes send you a physical case of the game too if they have a steel book available.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I used to buy at GAME since they had a shop next door but now that I've moved I buy physical games at the retailer my sister works at since they sell them 10€ cheaper and I get a discount. Only problems are they have limited variety of games and unless they offer preorder games never arrive on release day.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

The convenience of online retail and all-in-one stores is pretty undeniable, but I can't help but feel a tinge of sadness seeing stores like Gamestop go the way of the dodo. Popping into the mall's local EB Games and browsing through the stacks was a magical experience as a kid.

Going to EB games was like the old millennial equivalent of Toys R Us

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
toys r us all making u grab a ticket and then waiting in a speerate line for them to get the actual game they have locked up in jeffreys fort knox

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i haven't bought a physical copy of a game since uhh well i guess breath of the wild

i haven't bought a physical copy of a PC game in like 10 years

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

toys r us all making u grab a ticket and then waiting in a speerate line for them to get the actual game they have locked up in jeffreys fort knox

The only time I bought a game at Toys R Us was Pokemon Diamond in 2007. I think because it was closer to our house for some reason. I don't remember any tickets then.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Violet_Sky posted:

Going to EB games was like the old millennial equivalent of Toys R Us

I miss Toys R Us. I got all of my NES and SNES games from there.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

One time at a futureshop when I was like ten years old, the goon working the video game section gave me grief for not understanding that everquest required a credit card to play. Absolutely traumatizing experience. gently caress you goon

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
The only thing I ever got at a toys r us was a pair of headphones with the adapter to use them with a gba sp because we were on a road trip and my sister's hated culture (Metroid fusion music)

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

One time at a futureshop when I was like ten years old, the goon working the video game section gave me grief for not understanding that everquest required a credit card to play. Absolutely traumatizing experience. gently caress you goon

All I can see is Comic Book Guy

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

I remember when I was obsessed with wanting to play EverQuest. But at the time I was just a kid, didn’t have my own credit card, and didn’t have a PC that could play it. That goon sounds like a jerk though, if you’re still here Goon that was a jerk to Jay Rust, show yourself in this thread right now. :mad:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

My review of "AI The Somnium Files Two"

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
One time at a con in 2016 some kid wanted to give me cash to buy him some old cod game on sale and I made the executive call to get them CSGO instead cause it would actually have a player base

Was I being a huge goon or a helpful friend?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

physical game stores responded to the competition from online retailers by jacking up the prices and lowering the selection.
the only time I ever bought from gamestop was when they had accidentally overstocked on something and was trying desperately to get rid of their stock, oh and when they went out of business in my area and sold everything for cheap.
When I went to the store on their very last day there was still piles and piles of Rage 2 for the PS4 being sold at something like a 90% discount. The funkopops were gone though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SeXReX posted:

One time at a con in 2016 some kid wanted to give me cash to buy him some old cod game on sale and I made the executive call to get them CSGO instead cause it would actually have a player base

Was I being a huge goon or a helpful friend?

a helpful goon

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

Sometimes you need to use tough love, I feel no guilt

...Bowsette...

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I hope all of the retail people are able to find new jobs quickly. GameStop has been going downhill and has been operating at a huge loss for years now. About the only thing good about them has been from a few years ago when their stock killed a bunch of hedge funds.

GameStop should probably just pull out of the physical retail space, and be like NewEgg, but with a focus on video games, and gaming merchandise. Minus the FunkoPops.

The layoffs today were all corporate, mostly merchants and ecommerce people. Allegedly they are going to reinvest that into all the brick and mortar stores they keep closing, but they completely dissolved one of the teams that was pretty vital to getting products onto their website so it sure seems like they're putting ecommerce waaay on the backburner. Pretty sure they're just using retail stores to fund their NFT venture at this point.

Source: I was one of the 150+ today.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FFXIV lore question:

Is this the agreed-upon eorzean greeting

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Jay Rust posted:

FFXIV lore question:

Is this the agreed-upon eorzean greeting

o/

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I go with Hey/Hi or sometimes this depending on how I'm feeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
o/ is a person waving. The o is the head and the / is the arm

Idk if you're actually confused by that but I've seen people confused by it before