Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

crazyivan45 posted:

How do you like the cb500x? Does it have enough power for highway passing? I’m thinking of adding one to the stable as a ‘do everything’ bike, as my sr400 is pretty terrible for highway usage and my cb750 is barely reliable enough to make it down the street and back

I had a 2013 (the first generation); I rode 2 up with luggage (330 lb ish combined weight without the cases) on a 100km/h speed limit highway and had power in reserve. It was turning at about 1-2k shy of redline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

crazyivan45 posted:

How do you like the cb500x? Does it have enough power for highway passing? I’m thinking of adding one to the stable as a ‘do everything’ bike, as my sr400 is pretty terrible for highway usage and my cb750 is barely reliable enough to make it down the street and back

It's awesome and I have tried quite a few bigger and some smaller bikes by now, still I am always very happy to be back on mine. I think I posted a bit more about this in another thread, but the CB500X is perfectly adequate on the Autobahn (130 kph), but doesn't get amazing mileage because of the gearing. For this reason I would not recommend it as a long-haul touring bike. Personally I commute on it, and it really is a pretty nimble bike and perfect for filtering and generally getting around.
I love and adore it and am still amazed by how cheap it is/was. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade
Spent the fourth riding around some forest roads in the Mt. St. Helens area. Aside from some giant trucks and trailers that didn't believe in lanes, traffic was light, and the roads were in surprisingly good shape. Scenery/weather was perfect.

There is a five mile section of wind river road from Paradise Creek to Oldman Pass, that basically non-stop twists and turns through 1500 feet of elevation, it can be ridden repeatedly up or down, and is very very fun.

https://goo.gl/maps/GMyoqh7bJ4FnXx6v7

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Fluffs McCloud posted:

Spent the fourth riding around some forest roads in the Mt. St. Helens area. Aside from some giant trucks and trailers that didn't believe in lanes, traffic was light, and the roads were in surprisingly good shape. Scenery/weather was perfect.

There is a five mile section of wind river road from Paradise Creek to Oldman Pass, that basically non-stop twists and turns through 1500 feet of elevation, it can be ridden repeatedly up or down, and is very very fun.

https://goo.gl/maps/GMyoqh7bJ4FnXx6v7

Grrrr..come on passport office, send me my passport so I can do this! (It's been on the list for 3 years now!!!)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I have so many cool roads around here I want to check out on the interceptor, glad I got the rain tires living in the pnw now its been raining every day since I moved

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Grrrr..come on passport office, send me my passport so I can do this! (It's been on the list for 3 years now!!!)

At first I thought you meant you'd waited 3 years for your passport.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Did a little light camping this weekend, trial run of the new bag (SW-Motech PRO Cargobag). Could easily strap more to it if needed, but as-is it holds my tent, sleeping bag and pad, stove and cooking kit, chair, clothes, etc. It's about 40lbs(?) loaded up but I barely felt the difference on the bike other than maybe being a little more planted, and I have a backrest now!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
describe what you mean by "more planted" b/c you'd think putting weight on the rear end end of the bike without changing anything else would do just the opposite

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

bizwank posted:

Did a little light camping this weekend, trial run of the new bag (SW-Motech PRO Cargobag). Could easily strap more to it if needed, but as-is it holds my tent, sleeping bag and pad, stove and cooking kit, chair, clothes, etc. It's about 40lbs(?) loaded up but I barely felt the difference on the bike other than maybe being a little more planted, and I have a backrest now!

:hellyeah:

try hammock camping sometime. I didn’t do it at all in the first 15yr of my life but it’s a game changer wrt packing small / light and just general comfort in the late spring / summer

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

right arm posted:

:hellyeah:

try hammock camping sometime. I didn’t do it at all in the first 15yr of my life but it’s a game changer wrt packing small / light and just general comfort in the late spring / summer

I might have already asked you this but I have a bad memory: how are you not completely feasted upon by bugs?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Strife posted:

I might have already asked you this but I have a bad memory: how are you not completely feasted upon by bugs?

hammock I have has a built in mesh fly that is fixed with guylines to your anchor trees to keep it off ya. no problems with bugs except lol discovering a tick somehow made it into your tent / hammock when you weren't thorough enough with your brush off after riding trails / hiking

nasty mfs

usually just bring a blanket in the summer here in the south and it's *chefs kiss* perfection

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I got a Hennessy hammock, but only used it once and it wasn't a great experience. Part of that is down to the lack of good securing points at the campsite so it kind of sagged, and part was due to the fact that I didn't bother with the rain fly or an eye mask and the sun comes up at like 4:30am. I was very thankful to crawl into my buddy's blackout festival tent after he got up for a few extra hours of sleep. I'm going to try it again next week, and try to be more selective of the camp site.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Jazzzzz posted:

describe what you mean by "more planted" b/c you'd think putting weight on the rear end end of the bike without changing anything else would do just the opposite
Maybe just a little less bouncy? More preload on the rear shock basically. Didn't notice any other changes to the ride but I'm also a pretty chill rider, not trying to put my knee down or anything.

right arm posted:

I strongly considered that in my camping planning, but I already had a good small tent and while I'm not new to camping by any means, I am new to camping on my own/on a bike so I didn't want to throw too many new things into the pot at once. Or spend the money on more gear that I might not end up using that often. We'll see how this summer goes though; I am a big fan of keeping it simple.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

bizwank posted:

I strongly considered that in my camping planning, but I already had a good small tent and while I'm not new to camping by any means, I am new to camping on my own/on a bike so I didn't want to throw too many new things into the pot at once. Or spend the money on more gear that I might not end up using that often. We'll see how this summer goes though; I am a big fan of keeping it simple.

ya no judgment. I’ve got a 1p and a 2p tent I swap out for winter / fall camping when it gets below 40° at night. idk why it took me so long to try it though which is why I always preach it at people lol cause I wish someone would’ve told me how nice it is since it makes packing so much smaller / easier :shrug:

bike camping rules

Finger Prince posted:

I got a Hennessy hammock, but only used it once and it wasn't a great experience. Part of that is down to the lack of good securing points at the campsite so it kind of sagged, and part was due to the fact that I didn't bother with the rain fly or an eye mask and the sun comes up at like 4:30am. I was very thankful to crawl into my buddy's blackout festival tent after he got up for a few extra hours of sleep. I'm going to try it again next week, and try to be more selective of the camp site.

I’ve read good things about those which is a bummer, but I just have some cheapo amazon special that I pair with eno straps and it’s served me well. and yeah lol morning sun will get you up ASAP in them. then again I usually end up passing out whenever the fire dies so sunrise is a decent amount of time away thankfully :D

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

right arm posted:

I’ve read good things about those which is a bummer, but I just have some cheapo amazon special that I pair with eno straps and it’s served me well. and yeah lol morning sun will get you up ASAP in them. then again I usually end up passing out whenever the fire dies so sunrise is a decent amount of time away thankfully :D

It has the potential to be good, as long as you can hang it well. That's why I want to give it another try. Other than a bivvy, you can't beat it for form factor. I still worry that since I'm mostly a side and stomach sleeper, it's not going to work for me long term, but we'll see.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

When I first saw that my immediate thought was 'your preload is too high for solo riding and putting weight on the bike is putting it back into the right range' but I wanted to see if anyone else noticed.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Slavvy posted:

When I first saw that my immediate thought was 'your preload is too high for solo riding and putting weight on the bike is putting it back into the right range' but I wanted to see if anyone else noticed.
I heard this post in my head as I was writing that. Preload is at the stock/default setting of 4 and I'm about 165lbs, though the manual doesn't mention any rider weights to go along with the preload settings. I really only noticed it because I was looking for something that felt different with the added weight; I didn't notice anything else different about the ride for the rest of the trip. Is there a sure-fire test to see where I should have it set?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I have a hammock I used to use on shift where all the sleeping quarters got way too hot during summer. I left it up in the courtyard for a summer and one big problem (besides rear end in a top hat construction workers using it without permission from anyone) I discovered was a massive spider infestation after a while. Literally hundreds all over the fabric, with nets over several folds.
This has really put me off outdoor hammocking, because what is to keep spiders or bugs from just crawling across the mounts into my bed?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

I have a hammock I used to use on shift where all the sleeping quarters got way too hot during summer. I left it up in the courtyard for a summer and one big problem (besides rear end in a top hat construction workers using it without permission from anyone) I discovered was a massive spider infestation after a while. Literally hundreds all over the fabric, with nets over several folds.
This has really put me off outdoor hammocking, because what is to keep spiders or bugs from just crawling across the mounts into my bed?

The camping specific ones have a no-see-um mesh over the whole top. You get in from the bottom and it seals up behind you. It's basically a tent you hang between two trees instead of on poles. The only bugs that get in are the ones that hitch a ride on you. They even do jungle expedition strength ones that even tropical demon bugs can't bite through.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bizwank posted:

I heard this post in my head as I was writing that. Preload is at the stock/default setting of 4 and I'm about 165lbs, though the manual doesn't mention any rider weights to go along with the preload settings. I really only noticed it because I was looking for something that felt different with the added weight; I didn't notice anything else different about the ride for the rest of the trip. Is there a sure-fire test to see where I should have it set?

Not particularly. I would reduce it to 3 or even 2 and see if you get the same sensation of the rear being dug in. Everything is a trade off, if I'm right the bike is currently biased a bit more onto the front tyre, so by reducing preload you would expect to see slower but more confident steering and a more planted sensation from the rear. This will keep improving until you start getting problems at the other end from the bike squatting back too far eg slow, vague steering, understeer under heavy throttle etc. Back it off until it stops improving the situation and that'll tell you the ballpark.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

bizwank posted:

Set your sag.
https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/motorcycle-suspension-tech-tips-how-to-set-rider-sag-mc-garage/

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Finger Prince posted:

I also have a Hennessey. I recommend setting it up in your backyard or a park and "practicing" a bit. There are a few nuances to setting them up properly, the right angle, the right line tension, etc. Also, if the temperature gets below 50 at night you'll want some kind of underquilt.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I've both some telts and a hennessy hammock. I choose what to bring depending if I know there will be flat spots or above tree line camping. I prefer tents though, its something to "go inside" at night versus a hammock for me is just for sleeping. It depends on weather and bugs etc also. With where I ride and camp being generally colder I see that retaining heat for it to comfortable vs having good ventilation to shed heat is different concerns.
Here I'd say a hammock underquilt is needed most year round for sleeping comfort, maybe a couple of weeks in the summer you can do without.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Gorson posted:

I also have a Hennessey. I recommend setting it up in your backyard or a park and "practicing" a bit. There are a few nuances to setting them up properly, the right angle, the right line tension, etc. Also, if the temperature gets below 50 at night you'll want some kind of underquilt.
I find that the real trick for comfort is slacker lines than seems reasonable and sleeping diagonally so my spine gets flat.

I don't have a fancy name brand hammock, just a cheap one with a separate mosquito netting that goes outside the hammock and hangs from the taut line above that also holds the middle of the tarp up should the weather warrant it. I've been eyeing those fancy setups which look like suspended tents but they're kinda pricy, my current setup works great and I don't camp out nearly as much as I used to. When I do I don't always use the net or the tarp so I like the flexibility of three separate little packages. Setup is still quick and easy with a little practice. I think I'll have to get an underquilt though, they're bulky but not as bulky as bringing a pad into the hammock to ward off the back chill which is what I've done previously.

Hammocks are super comfy compared to lightweight tents, but I've transformed from a backsleeper to a frontsleeper for some reason and that simply doesn't work. Still it's my preferred way of camping. Tree availability is never a problem where I live and I get to choose any camping spot regardless of what the ground looks like which is fantastic. Also rain is never a problem with a well strung tarp while tents are vulnerable to water intrusion from below if the ground isn't ideal. Lots of advantages with hammocks.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Invalido posted:

Also rain is never a problem with a well strung tarp while tents are vulnerable to water intrusion from below if the ground isn't ideal.

This is by far the main advantage if there is any chance of rain. The leak free tent does not exist, if it rains hard enough you will get wet. You could bring an air mattress or cot to stay above it but that's just more weight and bulk. The other main advantage is rocky or uneven terrain, finding a spot for a tent is tricky and if you don't have an air mattress or cot you'll be sleeping on pointy rocks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I always thought the Redverz Atacama was cool because it would allow you to keep the bike out of the elements as well

Although I suppose you could just pack a bike cover too

:iiam:

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Although I suppose you could just pack a bike cover too

:iiam:

:iiam: indeed. Bike covers pack small. Or you could, you know, let the rain fall on your motorcycle.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
For sale BMW GS 1250. Never dropped or rained on.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Hennesey hammocks are great, I used one in the jungle in Malaysia on some surveillance / recon exercises for a few weeks. Obviously there are a lot of trees there which helps. It is worth practicing to make sure you get the tension right.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Lately I've been riding a route that takes me past a lake and up and down a mountain. It's a very pretty area, but I kept forgetting to take pictures. So today, I told myself I would definitely remember to take some. I think these came out pretty okay, but it was hard to find spots I could safely pull over and get a good shot without having to walk across the road, which i wasn't comfortable doing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yes
No
Yes
Yes
No

If the wheels aren't touching the edge of the frame it looks ever so much better! Also that looks like the setting for a spaghetti western, very cool.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Last month I rode down CA 49 in 40C heat and it looked a lot like that. Would love to do it again in better weather.

Edit: just looked up where yours is, not gonna blow up your spot but I wasn’t toooo far off.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 10, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm really enjoying this thing

dema
Aug 13, 2006

IDK what I'd do with it, but I want a Scrambler.

Ulf posted:

Edit: just looked up where yours is, not gonna blow up your spot but I wasn’t toooo far off.

It's not exactly a top secret motorcycle riding location. Probably one of the most popular in northern California.

edit; I like this photo better:

drat wildfires though.

dema fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 10, 2022

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

dema posted:

It's not exactly a top secret motorcycle riding location. Probably one of the most popular in northern California.

drat wildfires though.

Yeah it's pretty popular. I usually see at least a dozen other bikes out there. Only reason I didn't identify it is that as a general rule I don't get into location specifics On the Internet. That said if you're out there and see a guy on a green Rebel going really slow, hi.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 10, 2022

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

dema posted:

You'd do everything, that's what they're for.

Except like, highway riding. I really don't like taking mine on the highway, but that might just be comparatively.

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Went for a ride. The highway was significantly less intimidating this time with earphones in. Highly recomended

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strife posted:

You'd do everything, that's what they're for.

Except like, highway riding. I really don't like taking mine on the highway, but that might just be comparatively.

They're about the same as an sv, not great not terrible. I think owning jabba's hover barge has skewed your highway expectations :v:

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Swung by my old elementary school, now closed permanently by covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

dema posted:

edit; I like this photo better:

drat wildfires though.

49 seems nice I never rode over there. I have the 299 and the 36 right outside my house now pretty much which I’m excited about