Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

Apfelschorle and wine is my go-to for that. Apfelschorle is basically half and half apple juice and carbonated mineral water, and then you half-and-half that with white wine and it is INCREDIBLY refreshing while still putting enough alcohol in you that you'll catch a buzz after a couple pints.

Oh, thank you. I always forget about Apfelschorle until august or something, but it's amazing.

e: What a weird snipe. Drink Apfelschorle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Tetrabor posted:

Sounds like your IT is behind by an entire generation because Single Sign-On services have been a thing for a while now.

At least one critical system still runs on an AS400 and we have low single digit developers/etc actively working on our systems, and have for a long time. I'm completely unsurprised when this poo poo happens normally. The part that does surprise me is that it's loving Microsoft Teams that's locked down like this, while every other Microsoft software uses the unified login system tied to our 2FA. But Teams and only Teams is out of that ecosystem.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I had to spend 20 minutes of my life (so far) explaining how to resize and copy/paste a table in PowerPoint to a 40 something year old who has been working in corporate offices his entire career and I would like someone to come over here and kill me please.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lazyfire posted:

I had to spend 20 minutes of my life (so far) explaining how to resize and copy/paste a table in PowerPoint to a 40 something year old who has been working in corporate offices his entire career and I would like someone to come over here and kill me please.

Why you and not him? A greater good would be done killing him.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Agents are GO! posted:

What is it about upper-management brain that can't understand "people love WFH."

I think it's a few things.

1) As was mentioned before, the whole "How am I supposed to be lord of all I survey if I step out of my office and there's nobody there diligently trying to look busy in front of me so I don't fire them?"

2) People who only had a social life because of forced work interaction suddenly finding themselves lonely.

3) The (false) impression that the Great Resignation is over and they can go back to bullying people to act how they want because they don't have a choice.

4) I base this on very little, but basically the idea that a lot of people do want a Return to Office, but are being bullied/pressured/are the silent majority compared to a handful of complainers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Neito posted:

I think it's a few things.

1) As was mentioned before, the whole "How am I supposed to be lord of all I survey if I step out of my office and there's nobody there diligently trying to look busy in front of me so I don't fire them?"

2) People who only had a social life because of forced work interaction suddenly finding themselves lonely.

3) The (false) impression that the Great Resignation is over and they can go back to bullying people to act how they want because they don't have a choice.

4) I base this on very little, but basically the idea that a lot of people do want a Return to Office, but are being bullied/pressured/are the silent majority compared to a handful of complainers.

5) a persistent belief that you can't trust your workers and they will slack off every chance they get. See also: why cubicles have those low walls anyone standing up can see over, and why actual offices are reserved for the trusted managers. Of course the actual productivity of offices during WFH generally disprove this.

Ignored in all of it is the fact that people just don't work effectively like robots, hammering away for 8 hours straight until the whistle sounds, and even in-office work has a FUCKLOAD of slack time where people are chatting with their neighbors or loving with their phones or browsing the internet on their work computer etc.

There's also 6) the argument that spontaneous interaction with co-workers spurs cooperative collaboration and good ideas. This is the one that I'll kind of grant for specific industries. I could see a silicon valley office maybe working better as people bounce ideas off each other, but then again in my non-techie experience people do that plenty well via text chat and video calls too.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

Okay, we have a lot of computer touchers who are at least IT adjacent here, so maybe someone can explain a small bit of "the poo poo I have to clean up now after a new IT guy came by to fix a small problem and accidentally broke everything on my work computer":

What is the logic of not allowing users to change their own passwords, requiring an IT ticket (which can only be sent from addresses that require that password to get into, btw) to have it changed... At which point the new one is sent to the user as plain text?

Your IT is likely run by someone who learned IT in the 90's, read way too much BOFH, and hasn't learned anything about cybersecurity since 2005. They aren't in the ballpark of current best practices.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Ive had plenty of hotel IT straight up tell me to not instal Windows updates because it breaks the hotel management app, because they dont pay the devs for tech support. Shits hosed.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cthulu Carl posted:

Some types of mezcal have a worm in them, there's some bar in like Canada or Alaska that has a drink that contains a mummified toe, why can't we have a bird beer?!

I've had the mummified toe shot in Dawson city. It's a dumb gimmick but I did it anyway. Next stop cannibalism.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
We have a division all-hands quarterly meeting coming up. It's been virtual for a while but since voluntary return to office they reserved a bunch of conference rooms for people who are in office.

Our department VP sent a message to all managers asking for us to share how we are motivating our teams to come in to experience this meeting in person.

Here is the thing... even when it was fully virtual we never had anyone attend live* because we don't have the capacity. We need everyone to staff our busy hotline and process client requests. If we had people go we'd miss our daily service levels and piss off all our clients.

Literally not a single manager has replied to this VP. Not even the suck ups. Because we all know that we aren't asking anyone to go into the office for this meeting because they won't be attending it.

*It's recorded for people to watch later which is what some do but it's usually not worth watching anyway.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Zero One posted:

We have a division all-hands quarterly meeting coming up. It's been virtual for a while but since voluntary return to office they reserved a bunch of conference rooms for people who are in office.

Our department VP sent a message to all managers asking for us to share how we are motivating our teams to come in to experience this meeting in person.

Here is the thing... even when it was fully virtual we never had anyone attend live* because we don't have the capacity. We need everyone to staff our busy hotline and process client requests. If we had people go we'd miss our daily service levels and piss off all our clients.

Literally not a single manager has replied to this VP. Not even the suck ups. Because we all know that we aren't asking anyone to go into the office for this meeting because they won't be attending it.

*It's recorded for people to watch later which is what some do but it's usually not worth watching anyway.

My group is in the same boat.

We send one person and have them summarize it in a future turbo for everyone else. And they can go virtually or in person, the content is the same either way.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Apfelschorle and wine is my go-to for that. Apfelschorle is basically half and half apple juice and carbonated mineral water, and then you half-and-half that with white wine and it is INCREDIBLY refreshing while still putting enough alcohol in you that you'll catch a buzz after a couple pints.

Whiskyschorle bitte

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Escape From Noise posted:

I think helles and lemonade (European lemonade, so lemon soda to Americans) and hefeweissen with lemonade is a Ruß. Hefeweissen with coke is a slur. Or was.

Considering that the current beer hotness is inventing soda from first principles this could be your breweries viral meme beer.

Hefe with coke wtf....

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

There's also 6) the argument that spontaneous interaction with co-workers spurs cooperative collaboration and good ideas. This is the one that I'll kind of grant for specific industries. I could see a silicon valley office maybe working better as people bounce ideas off each other, but then again in my non-techie experience people do that plenty well via text chat and video calls too.

When everyone at my office got sent home for COVID, the people I sat near started up a Slack thread to resume our usual conversations about the news, what people are up to, quick questions to see if someone else knows the answer, etc. which we would normally have just stood up or walked to the next cube to discuss. We’ve since added people that we can tolerate who are in different departments or different parts of the world, and I’d say at least 50% of the projects that the IT teams represented in the chat need to work together on involve some level of collaboration through our little shitpost/gossip-replacement channel.

If we all went back to the office, everyone outside of the main site, and even people who sit in a different part of the building would find themselves excluded. Office water cooler bullshit has been measurably improved by working from home.

The managers who want us all back in the office want us there so they can watch and micromanage the work being done, even though they get to take credit for higher-quality work today. It’s never been about improving the actual end product; it’s about making sure upper management gets to see middle management doing something.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Tetrabor posted:

Sounds like your IT is behind by an entire generation because Single Sign-On services have been a thing for a while now.

I have a SSO behind another SSO behind 2FA behind a login screen that connects to the company intranet. So I definitely do that every time instead of saving passwords in chrome on my personal device.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

evilpicard posted:

I have a SSO behind another SSO behind 2FA behind a login screen that connects to the company intranet. So I definitely do that every time instead of saving passwords in chrome on my personal device.

Get bitwarden, its pretty good.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The younger generations do this just fine with messenger programs. Just casually talking poo poo at their workstation or adding their $0.02 from their phone while getting a coffee on the other side of town, which is all behavior the boss likely would see as goofing off anyways.

It really is a desire for control and abject rejection of how the work market and world itself is changing. Oh and lots of companies being stuck with massive piles of commercial real estate they either own or are trapped in a lease for that's now sitting empty.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

My MegaCorp had a bad parking situation pre-pandemic and without being management/having two decades of seniority it meant getting there earlier and earlier to avoid a long shuttle ride. Was poorly handled, as you might imagine when those with power aren’t impacted. We’d sometimes get patronizing auction offerings of being able to use a VP’s spot for two weeks while he was on vacation.

Pandemic fixed the issue as so many folk are WFH there are plenty of good spots any time of day, but it’s weird they still haven’t freed up the usually empty assigned spots. I’d guess it’s because having an assigned spot used to be a status symbol and they don’t want to give that up.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

dervinosdoom posted:

Why you and not him? A greater good would be done killing him.

My wife works for the same company and deals with him on occasion. Thankfully, her reaction was the same as yours.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Just had a "training" (which wasn't training, it was a presentation/info dump) for the new timesheet system.
Timesheets for the whole week are due at 1400 Thursday "for finance".
I asked how it helps finance when they can't bill the client with estimated numbers. No answer.

You can retroactively adjust last week's timesheets on Friday evening/Monday morning to reflect reality.
So why is it due so strictly on the Thursday? No answer.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It's because someone has a report due on Fridays

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
They redid our timekeeping system at work a few years ago and The jerk who ran that department stress to all of us that we had to log in at the end of each day and put in our time for that day not to put it in advance. No one in our office works hourly. She would go in the system and report to managers if employees were putting their time in ahead of schedule. Talk about someone who didn't have anything to do.

Of course just like you they wanted us to have time done on Thursday even though we had to work Friday and it pissed that manager off to no end that employees got to put their time in for Friday on Thursday.

Like everyone was going to take Fridays off or something. It was ridiculous. Now at the beginning of the pay period I just put in my time for the whole pay period and then sign off on it. I'm salaried anyway so who cares.

Received word about return to the office. And now we all have to wear masks in the building the entire time we're there because COVID is high. Management doesn't want to hear that maybe we should just stay at home... So now we're going to have one unproductive day a week in the office just to make the bigwig happy that butts are in seats. It is absolutely ridiculous.

I brought up to my supervisor that we should just have tuberculosis Tuesdays or something and just stay home.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Billable timesheet creep is 50% reports of revenue realizing this week, 50% having an extra day to ask hey where's your time sheet before realizing whatever is in the system Friday COB, estimate or not.

I don't know why they'd be so cagey in training unless the trainer also thinks it's dumb which they probably do. An accountants entire job description is figuring out how to realize revenue sooner and delay costs as long as possible. Spelling this out about why your timesheet system has dumb due dates isn't exactly going to gain support from normal people

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Dumb poo poo your work does - tuberculosis Tuesdays

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

DreadUnknown posted:

Ive had plenty of hotel IT straight up tell me to not instal Windows updates because it breaks the hotel management app, because they dont pay the devs for tech support. Shits hosed.

I've seen what Oracle charges for Opera and I almost might not blame them if I also didn't know how much money hotels make.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I joined a consulting firm. They sent me to a big ranch where everyone is very nice.

This is definitely a fuckin' cult but the benefit plan is baller.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I joined a consulting firm. They sent me to a big ranch where everyone is very nice.

Game the system. Avoid HR like the plague. Smile and accuse Gary from accounting of subversive thoughts. You'll be fine.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

and remember there's no face on that drat bean

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Helter Skelter posted:

I've seen what Oracle charges for Opera and I almost might not blame them if I also didn't know how much money hotels make.

I actually like Opera for the most part, but yeah given what I know about the greed of hotel owners I can believe it. Those fuckers would rather have a high front desk turnover than spend money on getting the desk like good equipment.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ultrafilter posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Dumb poo poo your work does - Tuberculosis Tuesdays

And Malaria Mondays!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Are we sure this is really Rent-A-Cop, and not someone just telling us they've gone to a nice sunny place they can run free and be happy upstate somewhere? :ohdear:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Shitpost twice if you're in danger

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

zedprime posted:

Billable timesheet creep is 50% reports of revenue realizing this week, 50% having an extra day to ask hey where's your time sheet before realizing whatever is in the system Friday COB, estimate or not.

The Husband is the only non-engineer in his office and pretty much handles everything that's not sales or engineering. This includes payroll. Timesheets are due on Fridays. However, invariably, on processing day, Tuesday, there are always several missing, Also, invariably, there are at least one or two that will NOT be turned in for processing and have to be estimated for a correction in the next week.

He tried once to implement natural consequences (No timesheet, no pay) that most other businesses use and there was such a hue and cry over it (from the people who didn't turn in their timesheets) that it was decided to just estimate for payroll.

Overall, his company is a good place to work. He has flexible hours, the bosses try to be fair to their workers, but, at the end of the day, they are still engineers. Getting them to do something is like herding cats.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
On the topic of timesheeting software, we just got a new one that is meant to save time and cut down on the amount of emails created by our back and forth review process. I'm holding judgement on whether this actually makes timesheeting easier once I've gotten used to it, but the replacement review system is like...

The previous system was sending the document attached to an email with REVIEW in the title that allows it to be filtered. Get doc, look at it, send amended version back.

Now the 'streamlined' system involves me uploading documents directly to a OneDrive, getting a sharepoint link, sharing it on the 'job page' of this timesheeting app, then leaving a comment on this page that @'s the relevant people. This makes no noise beyond a silent app notification (it only works on desktops, not mobile either) so you have to enable email notifications that you've been tagged if you actually want to see this. Then they have to comment and tag me when they're done, sending a separate email, and I have to go in and make the changes to this online only version of the document, then re-download it back to my PC and save it manually onto the server anyway.

How to turn a 30 second process into a 10 minute headache 101.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I was all set to hate my companies time keeping software because its called "King of Time" but its genuinely the best Ive ever used and takes about 30 seconds a month to close out my teams timesheets

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

... and here we just keep time with vague estimates in a shared Excel sheet. (They're always ridiculously off.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

BrideOfUglycat posted:

He tried once to implement natural consequences (No timesheet, no pay) that most other businesses use and there was such a hue and cry over it (from the people who didn't turn in their timesheets) that it was decided to just estimate for payroll.

I am somewhat empathetic to the financial controllers who needs timesheets inputted to do their jobs, but for a salaried employee it's probably illegal to link payroll to timesheets and justifiably so.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Tetrabor posted:

At a former employer I had three different SSOs

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Barudak posted:

I was all set to hate my companies time keeping software because its called "King of Time" but its genuinely the best Ive ever used and takes about 30 seconds a month to close out my teams timesheets

Is that name accompanied by the sound of thunder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Super Waffle posted:

At a former employer I had three different SSOs

How is this possible? Did you have three email accounts?