Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

When they come to do a recap for Season 5 it should be Argyle doing the recap of the 4 seasons in character, possibly with Murray accompanying him.

I hope Murray gets a karate showdown with the military guys coming for 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clear_Blue
May 29, 2007
Everybody wants to rule the world

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Don’t we see Mindscape-Vecna writhing in pain the moment all of the Demodogs and Demogorgon get flamethrowered? It looked like more of a dramatic reaction than expected just from Eleven pushing him away from Max.

Yeah after Mike says 'I love you El' and 11 mind-pushes Vecna away, there is a short moment where Vecna is immobilised and writhing. Presumably from Team Russia BBQ'ing the Demogorgons. But as said before, the show never really delved into this aspect of Vecna, so it came a bit out of nowhere. And it also seemed redundent because 11 just went Super Sayan and could take Vecna by herself (as far as the audience knows).

The premise is cool: Vecna is confident in his victory because he can mindread Team Hawkins. But because of the help of 11 and Team Russia Vecna can be defeated (temporarily). But everything that should connect Team Russia to the other plots is missing or underdeveloped. Hell, just let 11 mindvisit a sleeping Joyce to give her a hint about what to do.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

About Max and 11 at the end something I'm slightly bothered with, Eleven was specifically dealing with her mind/spirit, not her body. So however she saved Max, her mind should be the thing in tact, or at least there. Eleven didn't restore her heart or physical body, she saved her telepathically. Max's mind being gone at the hospital seems pretty backwards to me.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

iamsosmrt posted:

About Max and 11 at the end something I'm slightly bothered with, Eleven was specifically dealing with her mind/spirit, not her body. So however she saved Max, her mind should be the thing in tact, or at least there. Eleven didn't restore her heart or physical body, she saved her telepathically. Max's mind being gone at the hospital seems pretty backwards to me.

Mind over matter.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Clear_Blue posted:

Yeah after Mike says 'I love you El' and 11 mind-pushes Vecna away, there is a short moment where Vecna is immobilised and writhing. Presumably from Team Russia BBQ'ing the Demogorgons. But as said before, the show never really delved into this aspect of Vecna, so it came a bit out of nowhere. And it also seemed redundent because 11 just went Super Sayan and could take Vecna by herself (as far as the audience knows).

Yeah, I did not even make that connection, I thought he was just writhing because 11 was hurting him. Maybe it would have been clearer if he was smoking/burning.

Back in season 2, they did establish that burning the vines was agonizing for the MF itself. But yeah, it seems like a leap to assume that affects Vecna too.

I am disappointed that it does seem like the MF is subordinate to Vecna, but at least it was not outright created by him.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

CainFortea posted:

Eddie doesn't have perfect knowledge of what else is happening. All he knows is that the longer he can keep the bats distracted, the more chance of success Steven, Nancy, and Robin have. He chose to do the risky thing to give them even more of a chance.

I’ve not seen anyone else suggest this as a reason, so I’m likely wrong, but my take on why Eddie didn’t climb through the hole is because he realised that the bats would follow them through into the real world. I took his decision to be less about buying time for the team in the upside down and more about protecting Dustin / Max / Hawkins.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Just watched the pitch meeting for the season and glad I did after watching episode one and 50% of episode two.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Man, I avoid those pitch meeting videos because the schtick is annoying and so are the thumbnails for the vids themselves.

Season 4 was real good poo poo.

Tell me there's a Pitch Meeting for the Pitch Meeting Channel and I'll watch it.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

AndyElusive posted:

Tell me there's a Pitch Meeting for the Pitch Meeting Channel and I'll watch it.

I'm pretty sure there is but I'm too lazy to check.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Man, I avoid those pitch meeting videos because the schtick is annoying and so are the thumbnails for the vids themselves.

Season 4 was real good poo poo.

Also i've noticed that as they got popular they got lazier and their "jokes" are straight up answered in the media.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
According to an interview with the Duffers, season 5 will be shorter one and there will be a spin-off series. Lol.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's a 3 camera comedy with a live audience, Steve and Robin move to San Francisco. She's works at a local free news paper and he is a nanny for a rich yuppie couple. Can these two make it in the big city?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

UFOTacoMan posted:

Also, I like how they pro-actively showed that electricity worked in the upside down by using corded drills before the electric guitar comes out.

I immediately noticed that, too. My detail oriented brain does not allow me to enjoy anything. I am telling myself that they had extension cords going through the portal.

also, the guitar Eddie solos on is the UpSide Down version of his guitar. He rocks out Master of Puppets on a hell-axe.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's a 3 camera comedy with a live audience, Steve and Robin move to San Francisco. She's works at a local free news paper and he is a nanny for a rich yuppie couple. Can these two make it in the big city?

Dustin must be with them.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

fartknocker posted:

Dustin must be with them.

Dustin is the mid season surprise roomate.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Dustin will appear in every episode of season 1 but at the end, talking to Steve over a CB reflecting on the day and the lesson learned. He moves to San Francisco to attend Berkeley on season 2 and becomes a series regular.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

In true 80s style, the spinoff is about a character introduced in the final season in a backdoor pilot unconnected with the main plot and featuring only Argyle and Mr. Clarke in a wraparound at the beginning and end.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

not a bot posted:

According to an interview with the Duffers, season 5 will be shorter one and there will be a spin-off series. Lol.

Eight lives.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I would genuinely like to see a spinoff that is about Steve and Dustin, now in their 70s or something and still bickering their way through dealing with supernatural poo poo.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

come on now, eight is enough

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

god the dialogues in this show suck

still fun to watch, though.

they're seriously making another one though? I thought this was gonna be the end for some reason.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah basically everything is resolved at the end of s4 so idk why they are bothering

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Avasculous posted:

Yeah, I did not even make that connection, I thought he was just writhing because 11 was hurting him. Maybe it would have been clearer if he was smoking/burning.

Back in season 2, they did establish that burning the vines was agonizing for the MF itself. But yeah, it seems like a leap to assume that affects Vecna too.

I am disappointed that it does seem like the MF is subordinate to Vecna, but at least it was not outright created by him.

If it started out as a collective consciousness, and Vecna entered its mind, then it wouldn’t be able to identify him as an intruder and would think that his thoughts are its thoughts.

Vecna absorbed the people he cursed, so they’re in his mind but not the collective. It’s unclear with the S2 & S3 content. But I’d wager that Will was hooked straight into the collective, meaning that if he can get plugged back in he might be able to wrestle Vecna for control. Vecna despises Hawkins, and I suspect Will loves it even if it has treated him poorly.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

UFOTacoMan posted:

He was listening to Master of Puppets on a walkman while learning to play it on an acoustic in the boat house.
That's why he was so stoked to finally play it on the electric guitar when the time came.

Also, I like how they pro-actively showed that electricity worked in the upside down by using corded drills before the electric guitar comes out.
Despite popular consensus on the matter, them not justifying these things beforehand wouldn't have made them plot holes, but it's nice to explain things like that when you don't grind the plot or character work to a halt to do it. Hide it in the background like this where it can serve two purposes simultaneously and it gets to kick rear end twice. Speaking of:

Clear_Blue posted:

Yeah after Mike says 'I love you El' and 11 mind-pushes Vecna away, there is a short moment where Vecna is immobilised and writhing. Presumably from Team Russia BBQ'ing the Demogorgons. But as said before, the show never really delved into this aspect of Vecna,
They said at least three times that you can't touch the tendrils because all the Upside-Down creatures are one hive mind. That's everything we needed, for my money. This whole post wasn't about something you could've easily missed, though, so I hope you don't feel like I'm picking on you for including it to illustrate a point I'm making.

CainFortea posted:

Also i've noticed that as they got popular they got lazier and their "jokes" are straight up answered in the media.
Ah, yes. The CinemaSins trajectory. Though in their case, I'm taking it on faith that they were ever anything but horribly disingenuous.

Marsupial Ape posted:

I immediately noticed that, too. My detail oriented brain does not allow me to enjoy anything.
You're awesome and I super appreciate this because too often people take their noticing a thing for a thing being a problem, then game that out to thing being reason show bad. I also notice tons of things like that, used to be unable to let them not ruin things, and I super worried going to film school would make me way more insufferable about it, but while I'm about as insufferable as I was before, it's about different stuff. It actually made me care a lot less about things like this, because fiction does not and should not live and die based on people like you and me having a weird brain thing.

Out of nowhere metaphor, but It's a lot like being polyamorous. Jealousy is actually expected, fine, and normal at times and it's okay to ask for help or limited accommodation with it so long as you accept that it's your problem and don't lay the blame on the other people involved or anything they've done.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

Yeah basically everything is resolved at the end of s4 so idk why they are bothering

Resolved everything!? You know that Hawkins has a giant tear through it now, right??

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

tazjin posted:

god the dialogues in this show suck

still fun to watch, though.

they're seriously making another one though? I thought this was gonna be the end for some reason.

I honestly can't see the rationale for a spin-off given how they've bottled up the story. Best guess is that at the end of S5 there's some ongoing Upside Down stuff that acts as the foundation but idk the story overall feels pretty threadbare at this point.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

LividLiquid posted:

You're awesome and I super appreciate this because too often people take their noticing a thing for a thing being a problem, then game that out to thing being reason show bad. I also notice tons of things like that, used to be unable to let them not ruin things, and I super worried going to film school would make me way more insufferable about it, but while I'm about as insufferable as I was before, it's about different stuff. It actually made me care a lot less about things like this, because fiction does not and should not live and die based on people like you and me having a weird brain thing.

My actual thought process, "Huh. Corded power tools. Does the UpSide Down have a working electrical grid? You know from a book you read 15 years ago that nuclear power plants can actually run autonomously for several days before going into shutdown, but this is ye--shut the gently caress up, they threw some extension cords through the portal into Eddie's house. This is fine."

During the climax of Eddie's guitar solo: "Wait a minute. There is an abrupt gravitational reversal upon passing the event horizon of the portal. Would that effect how electrons flow along a circuit? Would the extensions cords work? Would the circuit be broken? Is gravity even a factor?"

Then I pause the show and go down a wikipedia hole on my phone.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

sebmojo posted:

I forget where I heard this, it might have been about that John Ritter sitcom he was making when he died or about Newsradio after Phil Hartman died or about Game of Thrones, but basically it was a producer saying that r feels really lovely to throw hundreds of people out of work because you feel the show is getting stale or that the story has a natural endpoint. You are creating something that feeds people’s kids and keeps a roof over their heads and you want to keep it going for that reason even if it is weak or tired.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

not a bot posted:

there will be a spin-off series. Lol.

As if we had any doubt.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

I forget where I heard this, it might have been about that John Ritter sitcom he was making when he died or about Newsradio after Phil Hartman died or about Game of Thrones, but basically it was a producer saying that r feels really lovely to throw hundreds of people out of work because you feel the show is getting stale or that the story has a natural endpoint. You are creating something that feeds people’s kids and keeps a roof over their heads and you want to keep it going for that reason even if it is weak or tired.

This was definitely not about game of thrones because those showrunners rejected HBO's repeated offers to make the show 10 seasons. Apparently they were bored of producing the most popular TV show ever and eager to move on to their show about a hypothetical America in which the Confederates won the Civil war.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

This was definitely not about game of thrones because those showrunners rejected HBO's repeated offers to make the show 10 seasons. Apparently they were bored of producing the most popular TV show ever and eager to move on to their show about a hypothetical America in which the Confederates won the Civil war.

They actually refused the 10 seasons and demanded that the last season be shortened because they wanted to duck out early to work on Star Wars (that eventually fell apart and they had to leave the project). The confederate show (which also fell apart and got cancelled right after the lost their jobs to go start it.) was after their Star Wars deal blew up.

They got the last laugh because Netflix gave them a $300 million contract to work exclusively for them for a few years.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I remember now that they were set to do SW then that fell apart on them LOL

I have no doubt they have all the money in the world but along with that comes the reputation for dual-handedly ruining the biggest show in TV history. I'd much rather be a Vince Gilligan or David Chase than one of those guys. Not nearly as much money, but way more respect from fans.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They actually refused the 10 seasons and demanded that the last season be shortened because they wanted to duck out early to work on Star Wars (that eventually fell apart and they had to leave the project). The confederate show (which also fell apart and got cancelled right after the lost their jobs to go start it.) was after their Star Wars deal blew up.

They got the last laugh because Netflix gave them a $300 million contract to work exclusively for them for a few years.

Don't remind me, they're adopting a super awesome sci fi series called the Three Body Problem. Must be nice to just fail upwards, and then when that doesn't work out, someone else gives you $300 million

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Away all Goats posted:

Don't remind me, they're adopting a super awesome sci fi series called the Three Body Problem. Must be nice to just fail upwards, and then when that doesn't work out, someone else gives you $300 million

I misremembered and it was actually "only" $200 million.

They have to split it between two of them, part of it goes to their production company costs, and it is a 3-year deal.

After taxes and spread out over 3 years, that is only about $25 million a year for each of them. They are practically being punished for blowing up the last season of Game of Thrones.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
Five episodes in. For the love of GOD just get to the loving point already.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Technowrite posted:

You have so many Vecna monologues ahead of you, you don't even KNOW.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Technowrite posted:

Listen to this to get hyped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcdZLTn8LD4

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Technowrite posted:

Man how did people make it through the days when shows had 24 episodes a season...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
well usually those episodes would have a beginning, middle, and end, and would take a reliable amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

I don't know if this is something that any of those people said too, but that precise answer was what Vince Gilligan said when asked about the x files and why it stayed on so long and whether he should have set a final date for breaking bad.

His more specific claim what that a tv show employs 180-200 people and when the show is over they are out of a job, and that for him it is easy to find a new one but for them this might be it, so that its hard to make 200 people lose their jobs because of the creator's artistic vision.

Of course, I don't know how applicable this is to stranger things, given its erratic shooting schedule. Old school tv shows had fall to spring seasons and shot like 10 months out of the year, I don't know if stranger things has people permanently on staff like that.