Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

FrostyPox posted:

Chainspell in FFXI also rules

Being a red mage in zilart/cop era FFXI was honestly a particular type of fun that I don't think can ever be recreated

Showing up to a party and being like "welp technically I can do anything, where do you want me" and ending up as the thief's skill chain opener, sata partner, and magic burster was the poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

jokes posted:

Phial of Flantasia to turn yourself into a flan

A mod for FFXII that turns Fran into Flan.

Also, another black mark against Final Fantasy XIII: the game has two characters with Australian accents.

The character who wields a boomerang is not one of them.

pretty soft girl posted:

Being a red mage in zilart/cop era FFXI

I know you mean Chains of Promathia, but the idea of FFXI having a :cop: era made me chuckle

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

Also, another black mark against Final Fantasy XIII: the game has two characters with Australian accents.

That is because it's a pun.

They're from the land down under.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

FFXI log: Hit level 14, did Mission 1-2. Ah, old school MMOs. "Here's very vague instructions on how to complete this mission. No, I will not repeat them." Fortunately, the internet exists. Also picked up a couple more Trusts. Disappointed that Gilgamesh is an old samurai man and not a weird multi-armed Kabuki dude, but I'll let it go.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

That is because it's a pun.

They're from the land down under.

... where women glow and men plunder?

Also: :pusheen:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

I know you mean Chains of Promathia, but the idea of FFXI having a :cop: era made me chuckle

Give Fang that giant-rear end boomerang Sango has in Inuyasha

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

In retrospect I imagine that being a 90's kid with no shortage of Final Fantasies to play factors into my opinion about XII and XIII but they're tied for dead last for me. I had huge hype for both of them, probably because they took so long to come out, but while I'll concede that XII is at least probably a decent game, I pretty much hate everything about both of them besides the music.

I'm probably in the camp of people that played XIII wrong, but I found the battle system to be both unintuitive and boring. Maybe I'm the boring one though because I think X was the pinnacle of Final Fantasy combat, and having recently played IX with the Moguri Mod, turn based combat makes it 10 times better.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

AuroMarshmallow posted:

Maybe I'm the boring one though because I think X was the pinnacle of Final Fantasy combat, and having recently played IX with the Moguri Mod, turn based combat makes it 10 times better.

This is all correct. And all the most popular FFs were turn-based or basically turn-based so you're definitely not in the minority.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ATB is the rtwp of JRPG

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

AuroMarshmallow posted:

In retrospect I imagine that being a 90's kid with no shortage of Final Fantasies to play factors into my opinion about XII and XIII but they're tied for dead last for me. I had huge hype for both of them, probably because they took so long to come out, but while I'll concede that XII is at least probably a decent game, I pretty much hate everything about both of them besides the music.

I'm probably in the camp of people that played XIII wrong, but I found the battle system to be both unintuitive and boring. Maybe I'm the boring one though because I think X was the pinnacle of Final Fantasy combat, and having recently played IX with the Moguri Mod, turn based combat makes it 10 times better.

10s definitely the best turn based system they've ever done, it's fantastic

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
10s combat is a snooze fest

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

In short, FFX is a land of contrasts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

This is all correct. And all the most popular FFs were turn-based or basically turn-based so you're definitely not in the minority.

There is all of one mainline FF that wasn't turn based or effectively turn based so that isn't actually a meaningful statement.

(And if you're not counting mainline FF games, FF7R is right there and has near universal praise for its combat system even from people who hate the story.) And if you're counting the MMOs, people love the poo poo out of 14 and that sure isn't turn based.

Edit: I also like turn-based a lot so I'm not saying it is inherently inferior. Just that "the most popular FF games are turn-based" boils down to everything except the MMOs and FFXV and those games, and FFXV being not turn based was the least of its problems. (Especially because it even had a turn-based option that sucked.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 8, 2022

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's better to get bad ratings in random encounters in 13 anyway so you can get more shrouds. The game rewards you for doing worse, so the optimal way to play is to be intentionally bad outside of boss battles. This is an intentional design decision, which is why the tutorials are so clumsily designed that new players struggle with the battle system.

13 is fine but there really isn't much room for creativity within its battle system. There could be fun in finding the most efficient way to play unoptimally, but there's such limited options in how to execute since the gameplay is much more just twitch adapting to circumstances.

I prefer trying to beat FF5 using only !Giltoss. There's challenge in finding the right encounters to use to grind both EXP and money, deciding who to grind up due to level determining how much money is spent, and my last attempt ended up being brickwalled by one of the otherwise weakest bosses in game simply because she somehow has one of the highest defense stats in the game, which basically nullifies !Giltoss's damage unless your level is in like the 50's.

Basically I like FF combat because I like having a wide array of stupid poo poo I can do. Stupid gameplay challenges are a beautiful artform. Breaking FF2 or 8 before the first dungeon, beating FF9 using only Trance, the Four Job Fiesta, low-level challenges, solo challenges, the FFX NSGNSNCNONENNENBB Challenge, give me all that poo poo.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Mega64 posted:

FFX NSGNSNCNONENNENBB Challenge, give me all that poo poo.

Are you OK

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
What, never heard of the No Sphere Grid, No Summons, No...uh items?...also no leveling up in there somewhere

Challenge

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

It's better to get bad ratings in random encounters in 13 anyway so you can get more shrouds. The game rewards you for doing worse, so the optimal way to play is to be intentionally bad outside of boss battles. This is an intentional design decision, which is why the tutorials are so clumsily designed that new players struggle with the battle system.

13 is fine but there really isn't much room for creativity within its battle system. There could be fun in finding the most efficient way to play unoptimally, but there's such limited options in how to execute since the gameplay is much more just twitch adapting to circumstances.

I prefer trying to beat FF5 using only !Giltoss. There's challenge in finding the right encounters to use to grind both EXP and money, deciding who to grind up due to level determining how much money is spent, and my last attempt ended up being brickwalled by one of the otherwise weakest bosses in game simply because she somehow has one of the highest defense stats in the game, which basically nullifies !Giltoss's damage unless your level is in like the 50's.

Basically I like FF combat because I like having a wide array of stupid poo poo I can do. Stupid gameplay challenges are a beautiful artform. Breaking FF2 or 8 before the first dungeon, beating FF9 using only Trance, the Four Job Fiesta, low-level challenges, solo challenges, the FFX NSGNSNCNONENNENBB Challenge, give me all that poo poo.

That isn't a reward. It's a handicap for players having a hard time. And if you want to farm them it's better to do it later in the game where you have way more trivial ways to do it instead of making every fight in the game slower so you get get a buff that is effectively meaningless until you can farm things anyway.

Also FF13 can be beaten without the crystarium which requires some pretty cool specific paradigm shifting so it isn't like there's no creativity, it just is different in how it asks you to approach it. Since your crystarium also determines your requirements for a 5-star you can also try to go for a no-crystarium-5-star run.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think I'm broken because I went from hating the pace of ff9 combat to considering it relaxing

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

X-2 is my favorite game to break because there's just so many weird ways you can engage with the combat with some of the lesser used dress spheres, plus there's lots of fun optional dialogue too for the in battle stuff

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Elvis_Maximus posted:

10s definitely the best turn based system they've ever done, it's fantastic

mandatory lesbian posted:

10s combat is a snooze fest

These are both true EDIT: wait if we're count ffx-2 as separate then it blows ffx out of the water

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I desperately wish FFX-2 had more things to actually use your full equipment on.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

What, never heard of the No Sphere Grid, No Summons, No...uh items?...also no leveling up in there somewhere

Challenge

No Sphere Grid
No Summoning
No Customization
No Overdrives
No No Encounters
No Blitz Ball

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

No Blitz Ball

Finally a challenge run I can get behind

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I beat the no blitzball challenge the one time i played x!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think I'm broken because I went from hating the pace of ff9 combat to considering it relaxing

You have simply achieved enlightenment

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FFIX's gameplay gets a bad rap, I have enjoyed it in all my recent runs.

It's better than VII's or VIII's, even if VII's is way faster than the latter two.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Grinding shrouds is madness in FFXIII both because there is literally one fight in the game where I'd say you want or even need to use them and that one can't even work on bosses.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Shrouds are amazing casually. Getting the buff shrouds running before a fight you bounced off before, using an Ethersol in order to fire off more Libras in a new zone or to pop off an early summon. Even Deceptisol's great when you just don't want to bother with random encounters for a bit (like after maxing the Crystarium in an area.) They're generally pretty plentiful too- if you're in a spot you need them you're probably getting them as low rank fight drops, and there's plenty stashed away as loot.

They just wind up falling into the same pile as every other FF consumable that isn't a basic potion and people horde them when they'd be better of using them because precious consumable what if I need it later (you won't use it later either.)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I never knew that about Shrouds, I wondered why I never got more than like 5.

Anyhow, the curved oceans are even more apparent in Palumpolum.

I'm beginning to think I'm weird :ohdear:: I've liked every single FF game I've played*, at worst I'm only lukewarm on 2. My problem with XIII is that they created this really interesting world and society and then won't let me interact with it.

* I have not played XIV.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

AuroMarshmallow posted:

Being a 90s kid, Tactics was my favorite, so I was both pumped for and greatly enjoyed XII. I also agree with other posters on this page that the slower-paced combat of games like XI is actually relaxing. I’ve retrogressed along that line to the point that I actually think I like the pre-ATB combat of the NES games the most now. But I also loved the “game plays itself” combat of XII back when it came out.

(I agree that it doesn’t always play itself, either. Although I never had any real trouble with any of the regular story bosses, that gang of little vegetable fuckers that you run into right before you reach Old Archades definitely caused me to scrap all my gambits and take full control of every party member.)

Also strong agree with the others who say that X’s combat was the pinnacle of the turn-based FF games. After getting through IV, VI, VII, VIII, and IX in the late 90’s/early 00’s, being able to see & manipulate the turn order as well as break the 9999 damage cap in the new game were these awesome revelations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I just remembered this excellent post from the last thread regarding Final Fantasy XIII's plot:

TommyGun85 posted:

I won't spoil it since you haven't played it, but imagine I was your boss and I really needed you to do something terrible for me. It's the only reason I hired you. But instead of just telling you what to do, I gave you extremely cryptic clues that practically ensure you will fail at it, despite me needing you to succeed.

Then let's say you figure it out and refuse to do it; and then you proceed to do it anyway.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I’ve retrogressed

I’m stealing this. Perfectly describes what games I’m into now— old JRPGs, especially FFs, constant replays of FFT/Tactics Ogre, games that try to scratch that itch (Crystal Proejct, Mercenaries series). I cycle through them slowly enough I don’t seem to get bored of them.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

I never knew that about Shrouds, I wondered why I never got more than like 5.

Yeah, Shrouds are designed as the 'crutch' items- they drop mostly from 0-1 Star Fights across the game as a 'things aren't looking so hot, try this' boost to help you when you're struggling, though I think a couple accessories can increase their drop rate- whichever ones give Shroud and Item Scavenger.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm beginning to think I'm weird :ohdear:: I've liked every single FF game I've played*, at worst I'm only lukewarm on 2. My problem with XIII is that they created this really interesting world and society and then won't let me interact with it.

* I have not played XIV.

Play the mmo. It's basically a really long single player ff game for the most part. I've also liked the final fantasies, they are good games!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I recently played X-2 and while I love the combat, the endgame did get kinda exhausting with enemies constantly one-shotting party members no matter how tanky the dress sphere is.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

GloomMouse posted:

Play the mmo. It's basically a really long single player ff game for the most part. I've also liked the final fantasies, they are good games!

Every time someone tells me to play FFXIV I put it off by another month. :colbert:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Agents are GO! posted:

Every time someone tells me to play FFXIV I put it off by another month. :colbert:

Please never play FFXIV.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

You aren't missing much since 1.0 was better and there will never be a classic server

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Barudak posted:

You aren't missing much since 1.0 was better and there will never be a classic server

Barudak Classic

Agents are GO! posted:

Play it, but ironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Barudak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpGRfmRaIx8