Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Larryb posted:

How close is the first season to being done now out of curiosity and has it been greenlit for a second yet?
According to Wikipedia there's one more set of episodes this season. So if you want to binge it, wait two more days. Also there will be a second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

According to Wikipedia there's one more set of episodes this season. So if you want to binge it, wait two more days. Also there will be a second one.

Good to know, thanks.

And by “set” do you mean two more episodes or is the show like Amphibia and Star Vs where most episodes are two 11 minute shorts grouped together?

Edit: Didn’t notice the “two more days” part so I assume it’s the latter then

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 7, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

So from what I gather Loud House isn’t really worth a watch then (the only thing I know about it besides what’s been posted is that the VA who played Sasha in Amphibia has a role in it)?

It’s… complicated. Some aspects of the show are fantastic and there are a decent number of episodes that are pretty fun but other aspects (particularly the writing) are a real mixed bag. It’s a bit like playing Russian roulette in cartoon form tbh. You’re never quite sure what you’re in for when you start up an episode. It makes for an interesting experience if nothing else.

Sooo… I guess check it out if that sounds like your kind of thing.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

cartoons123 posted:

Oh no, despite Nick giving it two seasons, they did it like they did every other cartoon of theirs that's not Spongebob or Loud House related and dropped it from the main network after a season, burning off the episodes in Season Two. Luckily, they got a heads up beforehand that they probably weren't going to be renewed for another, so they basically condensed their series finale into like four episodes.

Spoilers on the Casey Jones thing In the show there is a Foot Clan intern who is a regular enemy of the Turtles. In the series finale run of episodes she identifies herself as Cassandra Jones, so that was their version of Casey, and presumably this Casey Jones is a descendant

If I remember right, the movie got the greenlight before Nick started burning off the episodes, so this is meant to just be one last big thing for the show with a thing that they didn't get to touch previously (Krang)

oh interesting. for some reason i thought the show had like 4 or 5 seasons already

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

readingatwork posted:

It’s… complicated. Some aspects of the show are fantastic and there are a decent number of episodes that are pretty fun but other aspects (particularly the writing) are a real mixed bag. It’s a bit like playing Russian roulette in cartoon form tbh. You’re never quite sure what you’re in for when you start up an episode. It makes for an interesting experience if nothing else.

Sooo… I guess check it out if that sounds like your kind of thing.

How's the The Casagrandes spin-off?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

How's the The Casagrandes spin-off?

No clue. I was going to start watching that once the spinoff happened in the main show (I think it's somewhere in season 2).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Larryb posted:

Also apparently Molly McGee developed a plot when I wasn’t looking, I should check that show out sometime (also because the title characters are voiced by two of my favorite VAs)

How close is the first season to being done now out of curiosity and has it been greenlit for a second yet?

I wouldn't really say that it developed a full plot, so don't get your hopes up much, but it is a very fun show. Funny, nice songs, ambitious animation.

It has been greenlit for a second season, and I guess there may be some kind of major status quo change at the break between seasons, for better or worse.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wouldn't really say that it developed a full plot, so don't get your hopes up much, but it is a very fun show. Funny, nice songs, ambitious animation.

It has been greenlit for a second season, and I guess there may be some kind of major status quo change at the break between seasons, for better or worse.

I have at least heard it tackles some pretty dark subject matter in the latter half of the first season along with providing some lasting character development for a few cast members if nothing else, that’s something at any rate

I’m likely checking it out regardless though if only because as I alluded to above the idea of Ashly Burch and Dana Snyder costarring in the same show is too tempting for me to pass up

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 8, 2022

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so since i started rewatching bleach, i figured i might as well do the same for its fellow behemoth shonen series of the same age: naruto. i stopped watching bleach long before the series finished, so i never got a chance to see much of the bad bleach episodes. naruto's a different matter as i saw much further than i did with bleach so i got to experience some of bad naruto.

but man, lemme tell ya, as bad as it became, those first several episodes bring me back. it seemed like such an interesting show with so much potential. i genuinely enjoyed it at first, and even knowing what i know now about how it will go, those first few arcs, particularly with zabuza and haku, are legit great imo.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 8, 2022

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
so bleach probably is gonna start sucking as soon as it abandons its premise entirely for the pseudo-tournament-arc of the soul society everything, creating one of the worst afterlife premises i've seen.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

so since i started rewatching bleach, i figured i might as well do the same for its fellow behemoth shonen series of the same age: naruto. i stopped watching bleach long before the series finished, so i never got a chance to see much of the bad bleach episodes. naruto's a different matter as i saw much further than i did with bleach so i got to experience some of bad naruto.

but man, lemme tell ya, as bad as it became, those first several episodes bring me back. it seemed like such an interesting show with so much potential. i genuinely enjoyed it at first, and even knowing what i know now about how it will go, those first few arcs, particularly with zabuza and haku, are legit great imo.

Naruto bounced around in quality but it kinda sorta stuck its landing more than Bleach did. (That is a low bar.)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Naruto's first two to three arcs are pretty top tier, and then the rescue Sasuke arc is okay, and then you get to the timeskip.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think Bleach basically shifts genres when it gets to the Soul Society, and audiences outside of Japan will have a lot less tolerance for the genre traditions of classic Japanese historical dramas. Like a lot of people may conclude that the Soul Society sucks, but also living in historical Japan sucked for all the same reasons that you're less likely to respect if you don't have the cultural context for.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think Bleach basically shifts genres when it gets to the Soul Society, and audiences outside of Japan will have a lot less tolerance for the genre traditions of classic Japanese historical dramas. Like a lot of people may conclude that the Soul Society sucks, but also living in historical Japan sucked for all the same reasons that you're less likely to respect if you don't have the cultural context for.

I mean, it's fedualism, essentially. While European Fedualism is different, it isn't too hard to get the gist and similarities. The main difference, and perhaps this is what you mean, is that European Fedualism is romanticized enough in media for us to forget its shite that is best left in the trashbin of history.

Also, Mayuri literally straps bombs to his men without their knowledge or consent so he use them as unwilling sucide bombers at one point. And we are just expected to forget about that and see him as a funny scientist guy later.

Also, a lot of poo poo got rewritten and moved around. Go back and see Kenpachi's first appearance. It feels so alien that I legit thought it was a different, similarly designed character on the rewatch. Not his battle scenes, but him trying to play poltics and intimidate other captains with the threat of learning their dark secrets before Gin, who he never talks to again yet was clearly buddy-buddy with in that scene, humorously bests him in a fight and drags him off. Like, it's very clearly Kubo rewrote these guys a lot before this arc was over and then continued to do so later. That probably makes the face turns later worse since some people who become heroes later are ridiculously, cartoonishly evil in this arc.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I’ve never read anything so enslaved to its popularity polls as Bleach

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So apparently this is going to be a thing:

https://www.justjaredjr.com/2022/07/08/exclusive-disney-channel-debuts-theme-song-for-new-chibiverse-series-watch/

It seems like it’ll bring back characters from Gravity Falls, Amphibia, Ducktales 2017, Star Vs, and other past and present Disney cartoons. Could potentially be interesting I suppose

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 9, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

basically an extension of the chibi stuff they've done for those shows before, not a surprise they'd keep that going

it's just my feeling, but my gut feeling was that the chibi cartoons were a way for Disney to strike back against all the Pregnant Elsa Mickey Injection Joker Fun Wacky Cartoons for Kids videos on Youtube by having 'official' cartoons for kids that had a similar lack of dialog, poppy generic music, and use of occasionally strange acting/sounds

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Makes sense. I don't much like the chibi stuff, but if it's for Disney trying to use their more mature IPs for younger audiences, that's probably useful.

I wonder if it'll grow into anything more, like either developing into an independent IP or whether any of the shows that ended because of the 3 season rule will get reincarnated out from the show.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I legit loved the Amphibia chibis so this is fine with me.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
The Loud House

readingatwork posted:

Season 1, Episode 9B: Changing the baby

Season 1, Episode 10A: Sound of Silence
Written by Michael Rubiner
Storyboard by Jordan Rosato
Directed by Chris Savino

Synopsis: After spending the day getting interrupted while trying to do his reading comics in his underwear thing (this is a reoccurring character trait now isn't it? Fine, whatever, gently caress it, I'm done caring) Lincoln purchases a set of noise-canceling ear buds. After spending the day pretending to listen to his sisters he wakes up the next day to find that he's accidentally made several promises including to Lola (the princess one) who will apparently straight up destroy your life if crossed. Lincoln scrambles to do anything she might have asked for but fails anyways. When he thinks the hammer is about to come down Lola reveals that she'd figured out what he was up to early on and set the whole day up as a prank. Lincoln learns a lesson valuable lesson about ignoring his sisters and agrees to not do it again.

Thoughts: This was just... not a good episode. I wish I could point to one particularly spicy reason for it but at the end of the day it just boils down to none of the elements working. The jokes are bad (at one point Leni forgets Lincoln's name. That's the level we're on here), the moral misses the mark, the animation is uglier than normal, and Lincoln's sisters come across like complete assholes. Especially Lola. God drat does she come across as a vindictive psychopath. It was just an all-around unpleasant experience and I have no desire to ever watch it again.

Themes and morals: Oh, look, another Lincoln Did Nothing Wrong episode. :toot:

The moral here is best summarized by Luna who after the prank is revealed says “You had it comin' little bro. You can't just ignore us, we're your family.” which sounds fine on paper but in the context of this episode is kind of patronizing and insulting. Call me crazy but I think that even in a packed household Lincoln is entitled to private time to pursue his hobbies without being hassled. He shouldn't need to hide in the garbage (no, really) to read a drat comic. Of course, the solution here was for Lincoln to actually talk things out with his sisters and set up some boundaries, true, but that doesn't make his initial problem any less valid. I could even tolerate his sisters playing a good-natured prank (which this was not, Lola is insane) if there was some acknowledgment at the end of Lincoln's point of view. Instead though he's the bad guy and apparently just needs to buck up and learn to live with having every activity he ever engages in interrupted constantly.

This is a pattern I'm noticing a lot in this series. Lincoln will have a valid problem which he then takes imperfect steps to fix. The plot them punishes him for the imperfect solution but his initial problem is never acknowledged or addressed. It's very frustrating both because a good narrative should generally at least hint at what the correct solution to the central conflict might be, and because after a while it really starts to make the Loud family seem like a bunch of inconsiderate assholes who's moral finger wagging only ever seems to flow in one direction. Granted, this is probably due to sloppy/rushed writing more than a moral failing on the staff's part mind you, but it's obnoxious all the same.

Final thoughts: So... were the stories about what Lola is like when mad part of the prank as well? Because one of those stories involved her straight-up murdering her twin sister's pet frog because she thought it looked ugly. That's some serial killer poo poo right there.

Final Rating: Bad

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 9, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Have gotten back to my Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies project, at this point I'm mostly just blitzing through the Bosko shorts at 3x speed(the fastest the Archive web player allows) unless it seems something interesting might happen(like "Ride Him, Bosko!" which has the infamous ending where the animators give up on coming up with an ending to the short and go home), the Merrie Melodies at this point are often a bit dry too but being built around a specific song makes them generally coherent enough that I'm willing to watch them properly without speeding them up like with Looney Tunes at the moment

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

These were posted earlier in the thread if you haven't checked them out yet (I'm only half-way though, they're quite good!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z57_2T_WIuA&list=PLcROlJp65glTO1Z7tugNPpxiKXqQbDbdQ

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Oxxidation posted:

I’ve never read anything so enslaved to its popularity polls as Bleach

I do wonder if that's just because they had so few ideas for story that they went with whatever the fans seemed to like. Reminds me of what apparently happened to Heroes.

That said I've never seen it so I just picture this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5dxXyY3AGk

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Come And See posted:

These were posted earlier in the thread if you haven't checked them out yet (I'm only half-way though, they're quite good!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z57_2T_WIuA&list=PLcROlJp65glTO1Z7tugNPpxiKXqQbDbdQ

Plenty familiar with that series, big part of why I'm doing this challenge

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Here's more of me overthinking The Loud House

readingatwork posted:

Season 1, Episode 10A: Sound of Silence

Season 1, Episode 10B: Space Invader
Written by Chris Savino and Karla Sakas Shropshire
Storyboard by Chris Savino
Directed by Chris Savino

Synopsis: After a fight with Lucy (the goth one), Lynn (the sports one) decides to spend the night in Lincoln's room. It quickly turns out that Lynn is an awful roommate and eventually Lincoln has to sleep in the bathroom to get away from her snoring. Unfortunately Lynn and Lucy fail to make up the next day causing Lynn's stay to become indefinite. Getting desperate, Lincoln decides to fight fire with fire and do all of Lynn's bad roommate habits right back at her hoping that she'll decide to leave on her own. This backfires though and Lynn decides that Lincoln is actually the best roommate ever and makes her stay permanent. About ready to lose his mind Lincoln does that thing where you send a note to party as if it came form the other person in an attempt to trick his sisters into making up. It doesn't work so Lincoln directly intervenes and manages to make the pair realize that they do in fact miss each other. Lynn and Lucy decide to go back to sharing a room and the three get in a friendly make-up food fight which trashes Lynn and Lucy's room. Lincoln let's them both stay in his room for the night, which he is now happy to do now for some reason.

Thoughts: Hrm... Not sure how I feel about this one. It's definitely better than average but a lot of things hold it back. Particularly it's handling of Lynn who comes across as incredibly inconsiderate and kind of a dick. At the same time though I kind of like her as a sort of gross older brother for Lincoln who just happens to be a girl. It's a fun pairing and they bounce well off each other. The main problem here is that Lincoln's sisters never really acknowledge that they're being inconsiderate assholes (a recurring theme I'm noticing) to the guy who was nice enough to share his room when needed. Had they included even a small acknowledgment of this it would have both given Lynn a proper character arc and made her a much more likable character.

That said the animation is better than average, some of the jokes work alright, and I like that they solved the central conflict by actually talking to each other. Crazy, I know. Sooo, yeah. Okay episode on balance I guess. I hope that one of the better writers on the team pairs these two up again because I think there's potential here.

Themes and morals: What moral? No, really. What's the moral supposed to be here? Was Lincoln in the wrong for not getting involved in Lynn and Lucy's fight at the beginning of the episode? Was he being punished for letting Lynn in his room in the first place? Is he supposed to be weak for not laying down the law? Was he supposed to appreciate having Lynn being his roommate as Good Actually? And why is he suddenly cool with both Lynn AND Lucy invading his room at the end despite nothing about Lynn's behavior changing? She's still going to spend all night kicking your rear end you know.

While the execution of the episode is better than average it doesn't really amount to much on a thematic level. It's not really examining a topic or taking a stance on anything. There's a problem and it exists until the characters just kind of decide it's not a problem anymore and then the episode ends. You *could* have built something around Lynn and Lincoln learning to coexist where Lynn eases up on Lincoln and Lincoln loosens up and decides he likes having a roommate in small doses. Maybe his attempts to troll Lynn with her own bullshit turn out to be legitimately fun for him as well as Lynn. Maybe Lucy could be the one to teach Lincoln that trick with using the luchador mask for sound mitigation, which could serve as both a solution to the snoring issue and as a reward for opening up his room again despite knowing Lynn is a pain in the rear end. It wouldn't take a huge rewrite to make happen. Just a few changed/added pieces of dialogue. Unfortunately though this is all just stuff that *could* exist in another version of this episode, not the episode we actually got. As it stands it's just kind of a void thematically.

Final thoughts: When Lynn first moves into Lincoln's room she looks around and says ”I'm noticing a complete lack of balls in this room”. Was that intentional!? Because if so that's a pretty solid burn.

Notable moment: Going to just do one of these gifs for every episode since they're fun to make and each episode usually has at least one particularly fun/bad/interesting piece of animation that's noteworthy. This time it's Lynn giving Lincoln a dutch oven which is gross but also I found Lincoln's reaction faces to be pretty funny. :shrug:

Final Rating: Eh.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 11, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah the line about Balls is pretty much the only thing anyone remembers about that episode

Covok
May 27, 2013

Does The Loud House ever get...good? Like, these reviews paint a bad picture.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

Does The Loud House ever get...good? Like, these reviews paint a bad picture.

No idea. I'm only passingly familiar with the first 2 seasons. I'm hoping things get better after Savino gets the boot though.

Unrelated: LMAO, conservatives dipshits have discovered Dead End: Paranormal Park and are getting dogpiled for their awful takes.

https://twitter.com/realDailyWire/status/1545425919476744192?s=20&t=2ydFX2fjFXcb1zlL9Dv7GQ

Dead End is good but I haven't seen it being hugely influential and I expect that it would have passed through the zeitgeist quietly if nobody had said anything. Ironically this hysteria may actually raise it's profile and make it more popular in the long term.

Also that scene is adorable. They may as well be doing free advertising for the show if that's what they're holding up as proof of degeneracy.

E: Also there are some spoilers in that scene so keep that in mind before you click.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 11, 2022

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

readingatwork posted:

No idea. I'm only passingly familiar with the first 2 seasons. I'm hoping things get better after Savino gets the boot though.

Unrelated: LMAO, conservatives dipshits have discovered Dead End: Paranormal Park and are getting dogpiled for their awful takes.

https://twitter.com/realDailyWire/status/1545425919476744192?s=20&t=2ydFX2fjFXcb1zlL9Dv7GQ

Dead End is good but I haven't seen it being hugely influential and I expect that it would have passed through the zeitgeist quietly if nobody had said anything. Ironically this hysteria may actually raise it's profile and make it more popular in the long term.

Also that scene is adorable. They may as well be doing free advertising for the show if that's what they're holding up as proof of degeneracy.

E: Also there are some spoilers in that scene so keep that in mind before you click.

I just replied to them saying I'm gonna watch it because they brought my attention to it. haha

They'll probably hate that and I love it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

readingatwork posted:

Final Rating: Eh.

This is one of the episodes that I finally started to get there was just never going to be any even episode arcs for characters. I think Lincoln is right in between Lynn and Lucy in age so it would make sense he's closest to them but just... eh.

(It was funny seeing a Dutch oven on TV, I can't lie.)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject I started watching Star Vs for the first time recently, it’s not as bad as I expected but something about it is kind of giving me Ren & Stimpy vibes (I think it might be the artstyle/humor).

Out of curiosity, when does the plot start really kicking in? Also are there ever any episodes that are just one continuous story or do they stick to the whole “two 11 minute segments per episode” rule the whole way through?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Very end of season 1 moving into season 2 is when the plot starts kicking in.
For what it's worth, Star Vs' bad reputation is mostly off the back of the last season and ending, rather than 2 and 3 especially.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mdct posted:

Very end of season 1 moving into season 2 is when the plot starts kicking in.
For what it's worth, Star Vs' bad reputation is mostly off the back of the last season and ending, rather than 2 and 3 especially.

Speaking of, where does the whole “Star commits genocide at the end” meme come from (I don’t care about spoilers)? Taking a quick glance at the wiki it seems like she just merges the two worlds together and the only ones who get taken out are the bad guys

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Speaking of Star Vs, why did they go so hard with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts5y7bJFPkY

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, where does the whole “Star commits genocide at the end” meme come from (I don’t care about spoilers)? Taking a quick glance at the wiki it seems like she just merges the two worlds together and the only ones who get taken out are the bad guys

She destroys all magic so any creatures that were purely animated by magic (Heckapoo, the crystal dude with arm snakes, etc basically the whole High Commission) get wiped out alongside it. Any creatures that were flesh and blood like Pony head (although it's a stretch that she'd make it tbh) survive although they lose all their powers, but any creatures that couldn't exist without magic like the high commission are straight up dead. I kind of liked that ending though, it fit Star's character. She had a knack for solutions that were very messy and extreme, she ran with her emotions a lot and after her own mother betrays her and eclipsa that just breaks something in her and she's just in pure fury mode from that point on, just full on "gently caress magic and all the problems it's caused!" angry at everyone and everything, so of course her solution is to basically blow up the world as it exists now so that something better can replace it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

She destroys all magic so any creatures that were purely animated by magic (Heckapoo, the crystal dude with arm snakes, etc basically the whole High Commission) get wiped out alongside it. Any creatures that were flesh and blood like Pony head (although it's a stretch that she'd make it tbh) survive although they lose all their powers, but any creatures that couldn't exist without magic like the high commission are straight up dead. I kind of liked that ending though, it fit Star's character. She had a knack for solutions that were very messy and extreme, she ran with her emotions a lot and after her own mother betrays her and eclipsa that just breaks something in her and she's just in pure fury mode from that point on, just full on "gently caress magic and all the problems it's caused!" angry at everyone and everything, so of course her solution is to basically blow up the world as it exists now so that something better can replace it.

That doesn’t sound too terrible honestly, and yeah I agree it’s a very Star esque decision to come to

Not a huge fan of the theme song though, it starts ok but the whole “I ain’t from round here, I’m from another dimension” line just seems awkward to me

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 11, 2022

Covok
May 27, 2013

Macaluso posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts5y7bJFPkY

Wow, that ending. What a loving jerk. Just publicly announce her love for someone she hadn't worked up the courage to talk to yet.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Larryb posted:

That doesn’t sound too terrible honestly, and yeah I agree it’s a very Star esque decision to come to

Not a huge fan of the theme song though, it starts ok but the whole “I ain’t from round here, I’m from another dimension” line just seems awkward to me

It also helps that she TRIED working with it. She tried to unite monsters and mewmans without being destructive, was making real headway, people were forming relationships across the borders, but the magical creatures of Mewni kept getting in the loving way. Mina Loveberry and the magical High Commission made VERY clear through their actions that they wouldn't settle for less that total genocide, so she stopped them in the most complete way imaginable. She tried to be Steven Universe, but was backed into a corner and forced to be something much different.
I think my personal favourite moment with that is in Monster's Ball, where Star throws a party for the youth of Mewni, both mewman and monster, to hang out and meet in a peaceful setting. When things go wrong due to Mina getting involved, Tom tries to console her by being all "You couldn't have known" and her response is just "EXACTLY! I had NO idea! Mewni is broken and I don't know how to fix it!"

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 11, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Macaluso posted:

Mewnan royalty gets a cool little ballad theme to go along with some dumbass event like a Sweet Sixteen.

Star wanted hers to be *real* so she gets an unconventional musician to do it. So instead of some greensleeves poo poo it's Major Royal Scandal + Drama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think people just really liked Heckapoo which, same