Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

abraham linksys posted:

It started when I got the watch. Nothing is pushing me notifications overnight or anything. I'll test it by turning my watch off tonight and see if it helps, since it's pretty easy to do a test since it's so consistent (every night I plug my phone in to my computer to charge, unplug so I have it as an alarm in bed, and now every morning I wake up and my phone is at 75%).

What kind of notification settings do you have on your Watch? The connection between the watch and the phone itself won't drain a battery like that but if your phone is constantly pushing poo poo to your watch, it could do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Quackles posted:

Y'all use a case??? :confused:

If they wanted you to get a case, they would have sold you a circuit board attached to a screen and battery!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

From the latest iOS beta:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s back. :swoon:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

anyone have this fancy anker magsafe dock? featureset looks nice (though i kinda hate the design), just want to make sure it works ok with magsafe cases (i have the silicone one) https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Magnetic-Charging-Wireless-Accessory/dp/B099W6X1WB/

also if anyone has something like this that is less Orb-Like they can recommend, would like to hear it. basically since i got my apple watch i've been in cable hell so i really want something that has magsafe for the iphone + can charge an apple watch, but like "watch + phone" stands are all $100+ nightmares that also have space for airpods which i have no interest in, so i figure something with a magsafe pad for a phone and then ports for my apple watch cable would be fine...

also weirdly i've found my iphone 13 mini is now discharging like 20% of its battery overnight, with nothing listed as using it in the battery history - i suspect this is related to the connection to the watch, and i'm going to try turning off my watch entirely at night and see if that helps. anyways, reckon i'll get a thingy like this so i can just charge stuff easily at night and not worry about it either way

This new 3-device charging stand from Twelve South for $100 looks pretty nice:
https://www.twelvesouth.com/products/hirise-3-wireless-charging-stand?sscid=71k6_5svu7&source=shareasale

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jose Oquendo posted:

From the latest iOS beta:

How is the beta? Stable enough? Is the public beta out already or is this still the dev beta?

I really want a dope new lock screen haha

I don't think I did the betas for iOS15 but I've used them in the past for previous versions of iOS.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How does it know what to put in front of the clock? Does it only work with special pre-programmed wallpapers?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s based on depth/focus with portrait photos. That was probably manually adjusted to give certain aspects of the photo depth.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Nah they have some AI subject detection stuff. Is what they use to let you copy paste dogs as well.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

How is the beta? Stable enough? Is the public beta out already or is this still the dev beta?

The only app I have issues with is MS Teams. Everything else seems fine.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Your favorite home banking app might break, too, because they're whitelisting iOS releases and don't give a gently caress that the beta is a signed image.

Otherwise things seem fine. All apps over here seem to work normally, minus home banking, and battery lifetime is still the same.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Quackles posted:

Y'all use a case??? :confused:
Until they make these phones less smooth and slippery, I’ll always need something.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What’s everyone’s favorite screen protector? A friend asked me but I don’t use one or know anything about them

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jose Oquendo posted:

The only app I have issues with is MS Teams. Everything else seems fine.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Your favorite home banking app might break, too, because they're whitelisting iOS releases and don't give a gently caress that the beta is a signed image.

Otherwise things seem fine. All apps over here seem to work normally, minus home banking, and battery lifetime is still the same.
I looked it up and the public beta isn't out yet :( MacRumors said it may come out next week, so I'll have to wait.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

I looked it up and the public beta isn't out yet :( MacRumors said it may come out next week, so I'll have to wait.

https://www.betaprofiles.com if you really want some of the dev branch

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Just a heads up, that clown fish wallpaper isn’t showing up for everyone running beta 3. I’m on a 13 pro and it isn’t available on my phone. It seems to be random as to what phones it shows up on.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Question Mark Mound posted:

Until they make these phones less smooth and slippery, I’ll always need something.

Yeah, it's really this. I have large hands and I tried to bareback my current 12 Pro at first but had to, on average, try 3 times to successfully pick it up off a counter. That went down to 2 times with the Leather case, which I used to like back in the 7 days but found this new one slippery as hell. This was resolved by using the newer silicone case, which in previous versions used to be sort of floppy but these new ones are solid and tight like the leather but with some drat grip.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've thrown caution to the wind with iOS dev beta builds for years at this point and iOS 16 seems relatively smooth. I've had some weird crashes with Apple Music that were kinda annoying during beta 2, but it's worth it to me so I can play with fun new features.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Oh, I found the user guide to iTunes on Windows: https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/hardware

The reveal took it from "oh, been there" to "everyone, huh".

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If anyone's thinking about running the beta on your daily driver, I suggest reading the latest thread on Mac Rumors to determine if there's any bugs you can't live with:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-16-beta-3-bug-fixes-changes-and-improvements.2350247/

Apple also has a list of known bugs as well:
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/ios-ipados-release-notes/ios-ipados-16-release-notes

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Can someone recommend a small/cheap portable battery charger that does the USB-C fast charging output? Fast charging input would be good too I suppose.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Can someone recommend a small/cheap portable battery charger that does the USB-C fast charging output? Fast charging input would be good too I suppose.

Define small/cheap.

I have two different mophie “powerstation” batteries, but not these ones exactly.

https://www.zagg.com/en_us/powerstation-2020
https://www.zagg.com/en_us/powerstation-pd-2020

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The best power bank I ever found was a Target-branded 12000 mAh model only available in soft-touch pink. Not kidding.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

~Coxy posted:

The best power bank I ever found was a Target-branded 12000 mAh model only available in soft-touch pink. Not kidding.

Target’s house brands are sometimes serious wins for value and quality.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Inner Light posted:

Target’s house brands are sometimes serious wins for value and quality.

:yeah: their store brand food is mostly really good too

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I just noticed at work we’re selling the emergency phone charger things. It’s a tiny 2900mah brick with a built in short cable. Two year shelf life for $7, seems like it’d be perfect to throw in a bag or something just in case.

What are you guys’ thoughts on this? Would it be worth buying or are there other compact options? Would it be ok to keep in a glove compartment, knowing cars get hot and it’s a battery and all?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I just noticed at work we’re selling the emergency phone charger things. It’s a tiny 2900mah brick with a built in short cable. Two year shelf life for $7, seems like it’d be perfect to throw in a bag or something just in case.

What are you guys’ thoughts on this? Would it be worth buying or are there other compact options? Would it be ok to keep in a glove compartment, knowing cars get hot and it’s a battery and all?

Priced about right. The cables on those things tend to not be any good. And it's not okay to keep somewhere hot nor cold.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

Priced about right. The cables on those things tend to not be any good. And it's not okay to keep somewhere hot nor cold.

Yeah the temperature thing is what annoys me. I’d love to have it stashed away in my car but it gets both too hot and too cold

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm wary of no-name LiIon devices. Have watched too much Big Clive etc

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

If I got a used iPhone 11 Pro how many years of iOS/security updates could I get out of that?

RandolphCarter fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 11, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Hard to state definitively but you would probably get another three years from now.

https://iosref.com/ios

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

First iOS 16 public beta is out:
https://www.macrumors.com/2022/07/11/apple-seeds-first-public-beta-ios-16/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I presume it's exactly the same as the dev beta 3 and continue to be the same while further versions release in parallel?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

I presume it's exactly the same as the dev beta 3 and continue to be the same while further versions release in parallel?

The dev beta 3 was updated today. If I were to guess, the public beta is probably the same thing as DB3 rev2, but who knows.

Since PB was released today, I'd guess that the next few PBs will lag the dev betas by a week. Once we get closer to release, the public betas typically only lag by a few hours to a day.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nice, will wait for some reactions (mainly for banking app crashes, awful.app) and then maybe get my feet wet and see if that fixes all the issues I'm having anyway.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just put it on my 13 Pro. Seems fine. All my banking apps work. Besides the lock screen, no huge changes stick right out at you. Home app looks nice, but still no way to group automations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it sounds like the main offender for banking apps right now are the HSBC ones, 3 of my 4 I use regularly are confirmed as OK and the other one is regional so nobody has done a report. Encouraging!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Hard to state definitively but you would probably get another three years from now.

https://iosref.com/ios

Thanks. Now to decide between a new SE or the used pro.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there any extension that blocks Twitter embeds in Safari? I tried Firefox Focus but that also breaks YouTube embeds on SA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m very tempted. All the new features look awesome and I’d like to have them early but I’ve had issues with iOS betas before.:thunk: