Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Are there any reliable AC adapters that are just a bit longer than the official one that will still work with the Switch's weird USB non-implementation? Even a foot longer would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I use an anker usb hub and a 6 foot usb-c cable.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Pokemon Puzzle League is coming to NSO on 7/15.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Morter posted:

okay that's actually very enticing because i have it on steam but didn't play it.

ya, the cross save feature is indeed very cool if youre the least bit interested

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Me too, the old one is an emergency spare and I keep the old dock in my travel bag for when I go on trips.

Have you ever gone back to an old switch after playing on an OLED for a couple weeks? :barf:

I can't justify getting an OLED because my switch is never undocked

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The Postman posted:

Pokemon Puzzle League is coming to NSO on 7/15.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1545213151091867648

I never actually played this game but its pretty strange seeing stuff from the anime appear in Pokemon spin-offs or a game IP unrelated to Pokemon getting branded with it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Put mischief makers out you knuckleheads

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I tried it, seemed a bit extra to start with but I was into it by the end. The shump bits are basically a Danganronpa mini game but more fleshed out.

Yah I got around to the demo today too. The adventure game part was not... great but the shmup/combined with finding contradictions was fun and I'm intrigued by the story. Could be worth checking out.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I can't justify getting an OLED because my switch is never undocked

I did it for the $50 it cost me just to be under warranty again and for the chance that I might use it traveling

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What good first party games are left for the N64 Switch app? All I can think of is Wave Race but I'm sure there are others.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Smash Bros, 1080 Snowboarding, the Mario Parties, and DK64 at least

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Spacebump posted:

What good first party games are left for the N64 Switch app? All I can think of is Wave Race but I'm sure there are others.

pilotwings 64 is low-key a top 10 n64 game and is not on switch yet

also while not nintendo-developed, diddy kong racing is awesome and the presence of banjo-kazooie on switch online means dkr should be coming at some point

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

People want the Pokemon Stadium games but I don't believe those would even be possible to have.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zuzie posted:

People want the Pokemon Stadium games but I don't believe those would even be possible to have.

only if and when gameboy games are on switch online and you can use a virtual expansion pack to use pokemon from r/b/y/g/s/c in stadium/stadium 2

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

pilotwings 64 is low-key a top 10 n64 game and is not on switch yet

also while not nintendo-developed, diddy kong racing is awesome and the presence of banjo-kazooie on switch online means dkr should be coming at some point

Excitebike 64 as well.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Zuzie posted:

didn’t they let you use some standard Pokémon if you didn’t have a Transfer Pak?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

BLAST CORPS

yes, i like pain

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

BLAST CORPS

yes, i like pain

WOAH

another person liked this game?

I loving loved blast corps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxL59Io3qYI

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

didn’t they let you use some standard Pokémon if you didn’t have a Transfer Pak?

The games did have rental Pokemon but they were pretty garbage compared to what you could train in the Gameboy games.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Do you guys ever feel like you are "cheating" with some of these switch skills in MH Rise? For example, sword and shield has one where you spin your blade all over the place doing a ton of damage while invulnerable, n the cooldown is pretty quick so you could get kinda spammy with it. Same thing with the hunting horn, it has one where you stab the monster and then it takes a ton of damage like if it were some sort of explosion, pretty hefty numbers too.

Pretty fun but they do feel a little overtuned

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

WOAH

another person liked this game?

I loving loved blast corps

Blast Corp was great. One of my favorite N64 games. Although, I haven't played it since the N64 was contemporary. Not sure if its held up.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
How is Sunless Sea?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CBD Corndog posted:

Also to add onto this, it’s got cross save with the Steam version so you can always just move your save around depending on your mood, it fuckin rules

Who else does this that’s really cool

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
My sister has spent the past decade absolutely wiping the floor with me at Tetris Attack, and this will be no different.

I think I've won a 3-match set precisely once.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

How is Sunless Sea?

Very good writing, and exploration starts out being very engaging. As time drags on it becomes deeply repetitive and slow paced, and it because very clear the genre does not match their strengths. I really enjoyed it for four hours, but never finished and hated it by the end.

Imagine rereading the first few chapters of a book over and over again. No matter how good it is, you aren't interested in that text after the first time. Yet sunless seas think you want a rogue like visual novel.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Witcher 3

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Zuzie posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1545213151091867648

I never actually played this game but its pretty strange seeing stuff from the anime appear in Pokemon spin-offs or a game IP unrelated to Pokemon getting branded with it.

I remember seeing stacks of this game at my local EB Games, assuredly from kids who thought it was gonna be MORE about the Pokémon and less about the puzzle league

Fools, fools all

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Hades

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

hatty posted:

Smash Bros, 1080 Snowboarding, the Mario Parties, and DK64 at least

Mario Parties on NSO with online play.....my god.....

(will never happen)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

KingSlime posted:

Do you guys ever feel like you are "cheating" with some of these switch skills in MH Rise? For example, sword and shield has one where you spin your blade all over the place doing a ton of damage while invulnerable, n the cooldown is pretty quick so you could get kinda spammy with it. Same thing with the hunting horn, it has one where you stab the monster and then it takes a ton of damage like if it were some sort of explosion, pretty hefty numbers too.

The Horn one is great but the windup is so long that you're gonna miss it a bunch on the smaller/faster monsters later on.

SnS Whirlwind is very good but landing the counter uppercut does a lot more damage and is deeply satisfying. The Sunbreak skills are also really drat good.

Monster Hunter stays winning.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

LuckyCat posted:

I use an anker usb hub and a 6 foot usb-c cable.

Are regular USB power sources likely to work? I could try using the USB port on the APC power supply the TV is hooked up to, but I thought Nintendo had used some kind of janky USB-C implementation that was likely to just not work or possibly kill your Switch, based on what I heard when the console was new.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rand Brittain posted:

Are regular USB power sources likely to work? I could try using the USB port on the APC power supply the TV is hooked up to, but I thought Nintendo had used some kind of janky USB-C implementation that was likely to just not work or possibly kill your Switch, based on what I heard when the console was new.

I use my pixel charger sometimes

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, you can use any reliable USBC charger.
I use an Anker one on my bedside table and use my phone charger at work.
There's no proprietary tech involved. USBC becoming the standard across the board is a godsend.

Just don't buy some shady bulk deal off Ali Express.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rand Brittain posted:

The Switch Chargers site covers charging works on the Switch and makes recommendations for known-good chargers.

The short version though is that "any" non-device-specific* USB-C charger "should" charge the Switch tablet, albeit maybe not optimally fast, but the Switch dock has charger requirements that are more difficult to meet in practice. I'd only use the OEM adapter on the dock, but that's in part because I really have no reason to use anything else. For the tablet I usually use my Genki Covert Dock, but all my USB-C phone chargers also work. Worst case is that if it doesn't work, it just doesn't charge.

* My Chromebook USB-C charger won't charge my Switch or my Anker battery, but I think that has more to do with the charger being designed only to work with my Chromebook and not a general USB-C charger.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Rand Brittain posted:

It won't always work. I had one proper, definitely in spec USB-C charger not work on my Switch for some reason. Every other charger I've used has worked.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ExcessBLarg! posted:

* My Chromebook USB-C charger won't charge my Switch or my Anker battery, but I think that has more to do with the charger being designed only to work with my Chromebook and not a general USB-C charger.

That's so weird because my Chromebook charger works best of all the non-dock options.

Tech is weird!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Thank you! It just went on sale, but I'll wait until next time, as I just bought a few Switch games (plus backlog is too big to add a mediocre game to it).

I'm not great with these terms, but as I understand it, roguelike means you start completely over each run, while rogueLITE means you start over, but there's some element of character development that you "keep" between runs. Which is Sunless Sea?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

KingSlime posted:

they are very good but the monsters get really fuckin mean, you're gonna need them.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Read After Burning posted:

Thank you! It just went on sale, but I'll wait until next time, as I just bought a few Switch games (plus backlog is too big to add a mediocre game to it).

I'm not great with these terms, but as I understand it, roguelike means you start completely over each run, while rogueLITE means you start over, but there's some element of character development that you "keep" between runs. Which is Sunless Sea?

It doesn't have enough mechanical depth for that distinction to matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

KingSlime posted:

That’s part of the curve of learning the game. Hammer has a switch skill that if you charge and aim it properly literally does the damage of 10 normal hits. You also can’t beat the later monsters without knowing this and landing it every chance you can, but the earlier monsters still let you mess around and figure out what works (at lower rank I never used that move once)