Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Morrow posted:

But does Maeve want to? She's been hinting she'd be fine with being depowered, she's now depowered, everyone thinks she's dead, and she's back with her girlfriend.

No, but its a possibility if The Boys get desperate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
you know that Frenchie keustered every ampule of super juice he could while was alone and off screen in the Vought lab. Also, he wasn’t limping all that bad there at the end of the fight, so I have suspicions.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So was Soldier Boy racist or not

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Romes128 posted:

He's never really been challenged by any of the top supes before. When they do fight crime its against regular people or at best low level supes. He's been overpowered twice this season (albeit by multiple people) which surprised him.

He's the most powerful supe in The Boys universe, but I don't think he's at Superman level powers, which is a stark contrast from the comics where he kills Maeve with ease.

Yeah sure but also he also got soaked with soulja tell ems, and probably again a bit at the tower.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really dug that episode and the season as a whole. The only real issue I had was right towards the end when they're talking about whether Butcher would be happy having Annie on the team, I was hoping they would say,"gently caress Butcher, HE'S off the team" and MM would have become the new leader - him just being back in the group felt like a bit much after how incredibly horribly he treated all of them this season, and I thought him ending up back working with them would take up a chunk of the start of the next season.

The final final scene, one of my favorite little details in that was the chyron noting one of the Stormchasers had accused Starlight of child molestation and of course it had come out that actually THEY were a registered sex offender.
Edit: Oh yeah! And Soldier Boy revealing that he was some rich rear end in a top hat failson was perfect. :discourse:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Big surprise that Soldier Boy was some failson who got prototype V through sheer privilege and is perpetually hung up about being a disappointment to his dad. Culminating in calling Homelander a pussy as well. Also I think he would be a HORRIBLE father even if he was in John's life, look how badly he treated his own team!

That training Maeve did paid off, and it was satisfying to see situations where eye lasers are on the lethality of Pocket Sand. Did they ever elaborate on what Soldier Boy's shield was made out of? Aside from being incredibly dense it withstood an enormous amount of punishment.

It's kind of hard to tell if Homelander was pulling his punches vs Maeve though, he was more focused on other things at the time and I think he assumed his durability would carry him.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Was Ashley's hair ever mentioned before the wig scene?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

she kept ripping out huge chunks of it but never seemed to have any less, so it was at least hinted at

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Panfilo posted:

It's kind of hard to tell if Homelander was pulling his punches vs Maeve though, he was more focused on other things at the time and I think he assumed his durability would carry him.

He started going all out when she got him to bleed

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Really starting to tire of the way this show is spinning its wheels. The end of season teasers for this season basically restating the end of season teasers from last season just doesn’t feel right. Were there serious production issues?

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I think the maeve homelander fight was alot more one sided than people are giving it credit.

Bear in mind maeve is a skilled fighter and homelander never really had to fight in his life (bar the ambush at heroism)

She popped a blood vessel in his nose, some people do that by breathing to hard, and cured his tinnitus?

A couple of other super heroes would of just annoyed him, so i don't think that plan would work unless they are soldier boy level heroes.

Raivin
Jan 9, 2002
Pillbug
Good season, so-so finale.

It did feel like too much of a reset as others have said. Noir was a decent subversion and the heroic sacrifice misdirect for Maeve was a nice ending for her, but everyone else is more or less back where they started other than Butcher having a year to live. The Boys are back together plus one & Homelander is still all-powerful with a few remaining lackeys under his thumb. He's got Ryan now but it's not like that will make him less megalomaniacal.

Homelander has finally looked beatable but the people who did the most damage are now out of play. I was hoping overcharged Starlight would have blown a hole in Soldier Boy and revealed a latent power that could have her eventually take on the big guy. OTOH maybe we'll get more Ackles and that's a good thing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Once again, Annie's original plan of "Let's get a dozen of us and jump him" is proven to be the best plan anyone ever had on how to deal with Homelander.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Once again, Annie's original plan of "Let's get a dozen of us and jump him" is proven to be the best plan anyone ever had on how to deal with Homelander.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joe Chill posted:

I kinda hated that because there will be zero repercussions. It breaks the shows logic.

I'd like to see old Homelander wriggle his way out of THIS one

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

For a brief moment I expected Soldier Boy to impale Annie with his shield fragment before she could blast him away. The one time she actually goes off and it still would have been futile. Oh wait, she fizzled out a security cam earlier. My bad.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Joe Chill posted:

I kinda hated that because there will be zero repercussions. It breaks the shows logic.

the shows logic is literally a satire of the America we are living in right now, today lmao and guess what facists dont face any repercussions here either

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I think the biggest issue with the finale is that the narrative tension between what arcs were resolved vs left opened wasn't totally balanced.

It felt like they tried for a medium spot between how open ended S1 was vs S2's finale being a half decent series ender if the show was cancelled and it just ended up being in the shadow of episode 6 which was a much bigger episode.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I enjoyed the episode, it had some great character beats, but I'm annoyed that everyone survived the big fight to the death. It's like a sitcom that can't change the dynamic of its characters.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG posted:

the shows logic is literally a satire of the America we are living in right now, today lmao and guess what facists dont face any repercussions here either

Homelander's brief "Oh God I finally did it, I snapped in public!" moment followed by his stunned happiness that no, he's right, he really could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebodyeye-laser a dude's head off and they'd still love him for it was really quite something :smith:.

Edit: Oof, used entirely the wrong emote there originally :ohdear:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 8, 2022

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Chamale posted:

I enjoyed the episode, it had some great character beats, but I'm annoyed that everyone survived the big fight to the death. It's like a sitcom that can't change the dynamic of its characters.

Yeah this sums it up fairly well. The deaths that did happen were ancillary to the main conflict, and the main conflict itself didn't resolve anything. A lot of stuff got shuffled around just to end up in basically the same place.

Also I wonder if they got gunshy about killing off Homelander given the response to the character. The way things got wrapped up with SB suggests that they want to keep the Supernatural crowd hooked, so hard to say what is being driven by the story versus what is being driven by audience engagement.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Fuckin’ love that it was Todd that started cheering at the end like the bitchboy he is. Monique has terrible taste in men.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah this sums it up fairly well. The deaths that did happen were ancillary to the main conflict, and the main conflict itself didn't resolve anything. A lot of stuff got shuffled around just to end up in basically the same place.

Also I wonder if they got gunshy about killing off Homelander given the response to the character. The way things got wrapped up with SB suggests that they want to keep the Supernatural crowd hooked, so hard to say what is being driven by the story versus what is being driven by audience engagement.

It’s the only known way to kill homelander. The other characters are strong enough to not be pasted by him, but they can’t kill him. So it becomes a Cold War situation of killing the people around him and both sides jockeying for influence. It’s also unclear whether AOC could
Kill homelander as well.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I liked it, this season was a marked improvement from season 2 even if some plot threads, like Noir, didn't really pay off, this season was very focused on the dark comedy of it all while the finale was pretty much played straight and dramatically but I was okay with all of it really, I think that they took the plot in an interesting direction.

I also think it's very premature to assume that Homelander lasering a guy in public will have zero reprecaussions, I think that the scene was meant to show us that Homelander feels empowered to step out of Vought's shadow and together with the Stormchasers strive for true authoritarianism, up until now Homelander was very much a force maintaining the status quo, a product of vought, and thus caught up in their PR machine and in their capitalist rationale, that's why in season 2 he day dreams about lasering a guy but now he just does it in the open, he expects shock and horror but he gets cheers, the nazis don't want their super-human fuhrer to be beholden to human morality and laws.

There's a good chance that Homelander will run for president next season but I think that it might be possible that he will just declare himself president or the ruler of earth, Ryan looked really into that whole poo poo.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Wow loving Lexapro shout out!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

fr0id posted:

It’s the only known way to kill homelander. The other characters are strong enough to not be pasted by him, but they can’t kill him. So it becomes a Cold War situation of killing the people around him and both sides jockeying for influence. It’s also unclear whether AOC could
Kill homelander as well.

Honestly given how things went down just grab a dozen of the most powerful supes to hold him down and let her try. It might take an hour or two because the guy is obviously not as durable as everyone assumed - he can output a lot more damage but even that can be mitigated with enough coordination.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I want to know what they make Supe costumes out of because that poo poo seems to be indestructible. Bullets, eye lasers, chest explosions, whatever the gently caress Starlight does - none of it scratches their costumes. Maeve took a Soldier Boy nuke right in the face and in the surveillance footage it shows her in an unscathed costume being helped into the Boys' van. Incredible stuff. They should make all the buildings out of it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Chamale posted:

This is Noir erasure, and that's a crying shame.

Kind of bummed they offed him so unceremoniously after the build up.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Was Ashley's hair ever mentioned before the wig scene?

Ashley's been shown to have a hair fetish since last season I think? Multiple times this one she requests someone pull her hair out during sex. Was wondering if there was going to be a payoff for that.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Ashley was shown pulling out her hair multiple times, it was also shown in a sexual context but it's mostly an anxiety\stress thing, her confidence is a complete facade she is completely terrified of homelander at all times.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I would die protecting those cartoon animals.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Ashley was shown pulling out her hair multiple times, it was also shown in a sexual context but it's mostly an anxiety\stress thing, her confidence is a complete facade she is completely terrified of homelander at all times.

Once again ripping off the greatest superhero subversion story of all time, Frisky Dingo.

Ryan is a poor mans Simon, Vought a poor mans Crews Industries, Butcher getting powers a shallow retread of the Wendell X arc

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Dongicus posted:

i 100 percent know for drat sure they were gonna kill soldier boy this episode but didn't because of how fuckin cool jensen ackles is lmfao

he was great at playing a broken psychopath in a completely different way than starrs broken psychopath

Panfilo posted:

Big surprise that Soldier Boy was some failson who got prototype V through sheer privilege and is perpetually hung up about being a disappointment to his dad. Culminating in calling Homelander a pussy as well. Also I think he would be a HORRIBLE father even if he was in John's life, look how badly he treated his own team!

him recognizing that hes just gonna do the same thing his father did to him and doing it anyways was great. overall i loved the season and the finale. all of the seasons arcs and themes were resolved in a pretty satisfying way so i dont really mind that not much changed narratively. it just means more homelander anyways and im all for that

babypolis fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 8, 2022

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
I got strong “Hughie is Ando to Starlight’s Hiro” energy from that scene where he powers her up.

Reminded me of the “sidekick” power that Ando eventually got in Heroes.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I liked that Hughie actually got to save Annie during the finale despite everything.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I know they showed Maeve's 'memorial' on live television, but did they show any for Noir? I really hope they aren't doing a *The Boys Comic Spoiler* cloned Homelander to use as a way to kill/blackmail him.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

CPFortest posted:

I liked that Hughie actually got to save Annie during the finale despite everything.

He saved her by helping her use her own powers - cranking up all the electricity in that room. He was thinking about taking the Temp-V and teleporting into that room, but he found a better way.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's kinda funny Vought never even bothered to test Annie to figure out how her powers could actually be made useful, she was always just a PR tool from their perspective, her powers were not important it was just important that she had powers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CPFortest posted:

Yeah, and done in a way that actually works to both their strengths.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So they STILLLLL haven't released the airplane video, like to see Homelander wriggle his way out of...

And Noir really didn't get any ending to his arc. He had to face SB, even though it most likely means SB will kill him, but that gets cut off and he doesn't face his fear.

Also why does Noir know that SB is the father? He only seems to be given enough info to do his exact task at the time.

Huey thinking about taking the V and then realizing he can help from the control booth was cute.

Deep drowning a politician was odd. I thought he'd have a crocodile do it or something wacky, then his croc friend waddles away and they talk like they've been friends forever, see you next time.

A-Train was supposed to make some announcement we didn't see.

What was Mallory doing after Homelander took Ryan? I'd think she'd be in the Boys hideout ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Waffleopolis posted:

I know they showed Maeve's 'memorial' on live television, but did they show any for Noir? I really hope they aren't doing a *The Boys Comic Spoiler* cloned Homelander to use as a way to kill/blackmail him.

I choose to believe Kripke is reading this thread and decided that the only way to stop people from talking about comics Noir is to kill him.

It didn't work.