Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/wittlett/status/1545250772165730307

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Lol remember that time someone landed a grenade next to w but it turned out to be a dud?

lmfao who did your avatar it's incredible and looks original

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/NateSibley/status/1545035610150297600

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
The suspect's 41, not that there aren't some younger ultranats but that's kind of a weird middle ground for an assassin working in a group.

I got in in the couple minutes between when they released his name and when Google results reflected it, and while there's serious potential for typos in how Japanese names work, as released he's entirely a nobody (though there is a medical researcher on the other side of the country with the same name). I'd lean more toward the mob or a local politics issue.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/s_mayta/status/1545266308400517121?s=20&t=_-p_V1w1R52trwfJIx8YDwv

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

fart simpson posted:

there is also a yellow/orange, yes. i think it basically means that you need to go get a negative pcr test before you can actually do much of anything else.

i took screenshots but blacked out any personal identifying info so you can see what it looks like

that’s a lot cuter than I was expecting lol thank huh

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mandoric posted:

The suspect's 41, not that there aren't some younger ultranats but that's kind of a weird middle ground for an assassin working in a group.

I got in in the couple minutes between when they released his name and when Google results reflected it, and while there's serious potential for typos in how Japanese names work, as released he's entirely a nobody (though there is a medical researcher on the other side of the country with the same name). I'd lean more toward the mob or a local politics issue.

You think the Yakuza assassinated Abe? Lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh drat this mf got shot???

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
why would the yakuza kill Abe? Even in power he didn't do poo poo to them, out of power he never hosed with their stuff.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

You think the Yakuza assassinated Abe? Lol

Ideological alignment or no, it having been about some hyperlocal issue wouldn't have surprised me.

That said, MBS now saying he was ex-JMSDF, which puts things in a different light.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Why not aum shinrikyo, they actually would have a motive

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/greenTetra_/status/1545272325460922368?t=XmV0SnOrcuFFal7Hc_6_xg&s=19

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Japanese media now reporting that the shooter, Yamagami Tetsuya (山上徹也), is age 41, and is a former member of the Maritime Self-Defense Force (Japan's equivalent of a navy).

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
I guess the media doesn't want to call it prematurely but it is weird seeing reports that 'his heart stopped and he is not breathing' and 'he has no vital signs' for more than an hour. If this is the case I'm pretty sure he is dead guys

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

Japanese media now reporting that the shooter, Yamagami Tetsuya (山上徹也), is age 41, and is a former member of the Maritime Self-Defense Force (Japan's equivalent of a navy).

so what youre saying is the maritime self defense force needs a gazillion more dollars for mental health services and also weapons

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

good

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Some Guy TT posted:

so what youre saying is the maritime self defense force needs a gazillion more dollars for mental health services and also weapons

mental what

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

thread title

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
whats taking so long, pull the plug folks

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I guess the media doesn't want to call it prematurely but it is weird seeing reports that 'his heart stopped and he is not breathing' and 'he has no vital signs' for more than an hour. If this is the case I'm pretty sure he is dead guys
the internet tells me that this is the japanese cops' way of saying he's dead without it being officially confirmed yet

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

whats taking so long, pull the plug folks

I've read that in Japan, a doctor needs to inform all of the immediate family before a person can be publicly declared dead, so it usually takes several hours after they've died. From the reports that he went an hour without a heartbeat, he's dead.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
rip

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I’m glad he’s dead

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

indigi posted:

I’m glad he’s dead

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

hows weibo reacting

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
abe sucked etc etc, but troops assassinating political figures generally isn't a great sign

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Suspect's years of service were '02 to '05.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

exmarx posted:

abe sucked etc etc, but troops assassinating political figures generally isn't a great sign

Just throw it in with all of the other not-great-signs that are piling up

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
ah the return of government by assasination to Japan right in time for chinas rise surely nothing bad can come from this.

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

PM is talking right now.
He's saying critical condition.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

exmarx posted:

hasn't turned out great for japan (or the rest of the world) in the past, no

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

quote:

So, our approach to promoting the Indo-Pacific security was to believe that our relationship with Taiwan should be reinforced at every turn. It’s become a shining example in Taiwan of democracy, democracy for Asian peoples, and a hope to all of Asia. And it is my steadfast view that our government should immediately confer diplomatic recognition to Taiwan, for it is a free and sovereign country. Our recognition of Taiwan should not hinge on what will occur. Taiwan is already an independent country. Our government should simply reflect that fact.
-Pompeo

https://archive.ph/hi3Dm#selection-377.1-377.552

lmao

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Chamale posted:

I've read that in Japan, a doctor needs to inform all of the immediate family before a person can be publicly declared dead, so it usually takes several hours after they've died. From the reports that he went an hour without a heartbeat, he's dead.

what if you got like a real close cousin who's way out there in the mountains or something cuz he needs to take the occasional week to decompress from modern society and he doesnt get 4g out there?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

exmarx posted:

Will need to ponder this. Many sides to ultranationalist terrorism.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

okay, the captioning of this tweet is straight-up wrong

the commission to investigate and recover stolen Marcos wealth is the PCGG, the Presidential Commission on Good Government, which was established in February 1986 (right after Marcos's ouster)

the commission that Marcos abolished is the PACC, or the Presidential Anti-Corruption Commission, which was created by Rodrigo Duterte in 2017. Totally different.

the predecessor of the PACC was the VACC, or Volunteers for Crime and Corruption, which was a group founded in 1998 in response to a high-profile murder of a middle-class family. The patriarch of the family, who was away from the Philippines when his wife and children were killed, teamed up with one Dante Jimenez, a right-wing newspaper columnist, to form the VACC, and to use it to advocate for the reimposition of the death penalty

as the 2000s rolled along, the VACC, under Jimenez's leadership, was subsumed by the Duterte campaign machinery, and was used in various political hatchet jobs, whether in the form of alleging former President Benigno Aquino III of corruption, or of former Vice President Leni Robredo of corruption, or any other of Duterte's political enemies, of corruption

the PACC is basically the VACC given an official title and executive backing, and after Jimenez, leadership of the position was passed-on to one Greco Belgica, who is really no more than a far-right Christian dominionist

there wasn't a lot of value to the PACC, despite its nominal name, because it was never used for genuine investigations into corruption in the first place, and was instead just a cudgel wielded by Duterte whenever he wanted to stir up public outrage about the latest liberal or leftist that he wanted his base to attack

now, it may well be that Marcos did not abolish the PACC out of the goodness of his own heart, but it's also the case that it definitely is different from the PCGG, and because the PACC was never tasked with investigating stolen Marcos wealth in the first place, it's deliberately misleading to try and conflate the two

further reading:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_Commission_on_Good_Government
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vizconde_murders
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dante_Jimenez
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco_Belgica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm watching NHK WORLD-JAPAN News' live feed, and after some coverage of the Abe, they're just airing a cooking show now.