Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s like two supermodel parents having the worlds ugliest child

I think that belt is adopted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

important to remember the jinderweight title was the one with the lineage that went back to sammartino and poo poo lol

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

History Comes Inside! posted:

It wouldn’t be so bad if the unified belt wasn’t the ugliest active belt in all of wrestling

It was funny in the leadup to this year's Wrestle Kingdom showing the New Japan and NOAH top belts. The GHC Heavyweight TItle was a classic beauty, and the IWGP World Heavyweight Title was an overdesigned mess

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Unperson_47 posted:

This is cool, I've always wondered if there's ever been a champ who took no pride in the belt and treated it with their disdain publicly.

not quite as bad, but there is the time that Tama Tonga chucked his newly-won ROH tag title in response to Enzo and Cass showing up without his knowledge, calling it "garbage" and a "piece of poo poo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ6W1VyR6wc

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

EdsTeioh posted:

Bill Watts. This whole thing did lead to ONE really cool spot in a Rude/Steamboat match though.

also, when they brought over Liger, I believe he ended up doing moonsaults off the middle rope, because gently caress it

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Barry Bluejeans posted:

not quite as bad, but there is the time that Tama Tonga chucked his newly-won ROH tag title in response to Enzo and Cass showing up without his knowledge, calling it "garbage" and a "piece of poo poo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ6W1VyR6wc

What'd he say about the belt, though?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Unperson_47 posted:

This is cool, I've always wondered if there's ever been a champ who took no pride in the belt and treated it with their disdain publicly.

While it's clear on the surface that Naito hates the belt, he also cares for it a whole lot--he keeps on challenging for it! The finish to his WK13 match with Jericho heavily involved the belt as well.

bartok
May 10, 2006

SG Bamboo posted:

The story was that Naito hated the Intercontinental belt as it symbolised his failure to become a true main eventer as the Stardust Genius before he went to Mexico and reinvented himself (as well as Tanahashi, who was holding the belt when the main event of Wrestle Kingdom 8 was stolen from Naito). So when he actually won the belt he treated it with contempt, kicking it around as well as throwing it directly into the ring steps. Naito did the most damage to the belt since he literally broke the thing multiple times

That angle is what made me a huge Naito mark.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

bartok posted:

I like to consider myself a small part of Naito's story since I was one of the 25000 people that voted for Tanahashi Vs Nakamura to main event over Naito Vs Okada. Because of course I did, Shinsuke Nakamura was the coolest motherfucker on Earth in 2013 and deserved all the main events

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Lily Catts posted:

While it's clear on the surface that Naito hates the belt, he also cares for it a whole lot--he keeps on challenging for it! The finish to his WK13 match with Jericho heavily involved the belt as well.

Part of his winning the Double Dash was that he had to win the IC title back, and even when he finally beat Okada for the big belt, he showed respect to the IC belt. Tetsuya Naito v the NJPW Intercontinental Title is the greatest love story of a generation.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Venomous posted:

also, when they brought over Liger, I believe he ended up doing moonsaults off the middle rope, because gently caress it

Yeah that's correct. It was REALLY loving stupid to ban top rope moves and then bring in Liger to work with Pillman and also I think Muta was still there at the time.

The Steamboat/Rude spot was this though, and I still think about it and think someone should use an updated version of it: They were doing an ironman match (I can't remember the exact show; may have just been on TV). Rude was down a fall or 2, so decided to hit a top rope knee drop, knowing that it would cause him to lose a fall by DQ. However, since they'd built up that top rope moves were so devastating, the logic was that he'd drop a fall to the dq, then get multiple pins in succession since Steamboat was so hurt from the top rope move. IIRC, Rude hit the knee, lost a fall, pinned Steamboat, then went for a quick re-pin but Steamboat kicked out of the subsequent one, so Rude's gamble kept the score where it was.

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Watts’ top rope ban was the stupidest thing in the world and pissed off eight year old me quite a lot. I don’t understand how he didn’t see that people were paying money to see their favorites jump off the ropes! He was never destined to hold that job for long.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

EdsTeioh posted:

Yeah that's correct. It was REALLY loving stupid to ban top rope moves and then bring in Liger to work with Pillman and also I think Muta was still there at the time.

The Steamboat/Rude spot was this though, and I still think about it and think someone should use an updated version of it: They were doing an ironman match (I can't remember the exact show; may have just been on TV). Rude was down a fall or 2, so decided to hit a top rope knee drop, knowing that it would cause him to lose a fall by DQ. However, since they'd built up that top rope moves were so devastating, the logic was that he'd drop a fall to the dq, then get multiple pins in succession since Steamboat was so hurt from the top rope move. IIRC, Rude hit the knee, lost a fall, pinned Steamboat, then went for a quick re-pin but Steamboat kicked out of the subsequent one, so Rude's gamble kept the score where it was.

HHH did a clever variation of this in his Iron Man with Rock: he clobbers Rock with a chair, loses a fall, but Rock is out of it so he pins him twice.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

El Gallinero Gros posted:

HHH did a clever variation of this in his Iron Man with Rock: he clobbers Rock with a chair, loses a fall, but Rock is out of it so he pins him twice.

Oh no poo poo? When was that?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Deathlove posted:

Part of his winning the Double Dash was that he had to win the IC title back, and even when he finally beat Okada for the big belt, he showed respect to the IC belt. Tetsuya Naito v the NJPW Intercontinental Title is the greatest love story of a generation.

The Wrestle Kingdom the year before is the big payoff IMO. Naito uses the belt to beat Jericho for the title, finally shows it respect on his way out, and in his post-match says something about how no matter how badly he treated it, it always came back to him until he accepted it.

There's also his challenge to Ibushi last year when Ibushi announced he was going to unite the titles: Naito asked for one more shot, but not at the Heavyweight title (Ibushi beat him fair and square and Naito didn't feel he deserved a rematch), at the IC title, because he wanted to be the one to hold it last.

quote:

Naito: It’s strange. I’ve always questioned the purpose of the IWGP Intercontinental Championship, but if you look back on my career, it’s been the belt I’ve been most connected to. I’ve never understood the significance of *it*, but *it’s* always had a significance for *me*.

–It could be argued that you’re the one most closely associated with the title.

Naito: When it’s all said and done, and everyone looks back at my career, they’ll think of me with the Intercontinental Championship most often. But I still don’t understand why we have it. I still, honestly think it would be better if we didn’t. But when Ibushi talks about him unifying or whatever the hell it is he wants to do? If the Intercontinental Championship, if that lineage is going to end, fine. It ends with me.

–So that’s your motivation.

Naito: It’s closer to me than anyone. So I will end it.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

Oh no poo poo? When was that?

Judgment Day 2000. It's not that he pinned him twice, it's that he got DQed for the chair shot but immediately got that fall back by pinning him, and now Rock's at a disadvantage for the remainder of the match because Hunter brained him with a chair. And, indeed, HHH wins the next fall after that with a sleeper because the Rock just hasn't recovered yet.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

AEW ran the same spot in the PAC/Omega Iron Man match.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Integrated Houston posted:

Watts’ top rope ban was the stupidest thing in the world and pissed off eight year old me quite a lot. I don’t understand how he didn’t see that people were paying money to see their favorites jump off the ropes! He was never destined to hold that job for long.

I always remember hearing the intention was the ban wasn't a long-term thing, he was trying to get people out of the habit of doing it all the time. With the idea being that high spots stop being high spots if they are just routine. Which makes some degree of sense but the other thing is Watts seems to have entirely tuned out of wrestling after selling the UWF, so when he came back 5 years later to run WCW he just wasn't willing to accept it wasn't 1976 anymore. Definitely a man who, even without his pro-segregation comments, shouldn't have been in the job, wrestling had passed him by, Vince McMahon is out there telling everyone that wrestling is a work & Watt's still wants legit heel & face dressing rooms.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The main memory that sticks out with the "no top rope" rule was watching a match where the heel tried to throw the face over the top rope and the face skinned the cat to get back in. Commentary pointed out that if he didn't pull himself back in, he would have won by DQ. The face went on to lose because of course he did.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

History Comes Inside! posted:

AEW ran the same spot in the PAC/Omega Iron Man match.

Well drat I was gonna say that AEW should jack that, but now I'm gonna have to go back and watch this match.

Gavok posted:

The main memory that sticks out with the "no top rope" rule was watching a match where the heel tried to throw the face over the top rope and the face skinned the cat to get back in. Commentary pointed out that if he didn't pull himself back in, he would have won by DQ. The face went on to lose because of course he did.

No that's a different top rope rule. Throwing someone OVER the top rope was a rule in most wrestling going back to like the 50's. WWF I don't think ever did it, but I specifically remember at some point in Nitro the announcers stating that they were removing the over the top rope rule. Bill Watts banned people jumping OFF the top rope, so you couldn't do top rope splashes, moonsaults, dropkicks, etc.

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 8, 2022

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Lesnar and Angle also did that iron man spot in 2003.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bartok posted:

It also shows how great a booker Gedo can be when he's firing on all cylinders. He wanted to push Naito to the moon and make him a main eventer, the fans rejected it, so he and Naito course corrected and made him an even bigger star than he would've been had they just muscled through with the originally planned WK main event.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

forkboy84 posted:

I always remember hearing the intention was the ban wasn't a long-term thing, he was trying to get people out of the habit of doing it all the time. With the idea being that high spots stop being high spots if they are just routine. Which makes some degree of sense but the other thing is Watts seems to have entirely tuned out of wrestling after selling the UWF, so when he came back 5 years later to run WCW he just wasn't willing to accept it wasn't 1976 anymore. Definitely a man who, even without his pro-segregation comments, shouldn't have been in the job, wrestling had passed him by, Vince McMahon is out there telling everyone that wrestling is a work & Watt's still wants legit heel & face dressing rooms.

Everything about Watts' tenure does make sense... in the right and place and time. Giving Sting and Jake the Coal Miner's Glove match would have been super over in, say, Louisiana where Mid-South was located because everybody at least probably knew a coal miner and knew what a coal miner's glove was. In the wider WCW, who cares.

Gavok posted:

That sounds like a Brad Armstrong match.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

what should i know about potentially bringing a sign to a wrestling show

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

What is your strongest video game opinion?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Undertale has a better story than metal gear solid

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Maxwell Lord posted:

i have never played a souls-series game

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

but more seriously do you just walk into the arena with a posterboard or what

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Captain Foo posted:

Yeah. That's literally all. You make a sign and then take the sign and hopefully is funny

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

titties posted:

Yeah. That's literally all. You make a sign and then take the sign and hopefully is funny

it's gonna be a joke for 2 people probably, maybe 3

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Captain Foo posted:

it's gonna be a joke for 2 people probably, maybe 3

That's more than most signs

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Foo posted:

Draw your favorite wrestler as a South Park character.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Or people peeing on a flag. Maybe on one of those blue lives matter flags

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

When I was 12 or 13 my friend and I got tickets to a WCW house show. He brought a sign calling himself Medium Sexy and held it up for Nash while we both did a Too Sweet.

I'll never be that cool again.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

When I brought my video game opinion sign to the last local AEW taping security checked it to make sure it didn't say anything horrible and that was it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AlmightyPants posted:

When I brought my video game opinion sign to the last local AEW taping security checked it to make sure it didn't say anything horrible and that was it.

cool thanks

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Make the sign say Fart Owens Fart!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
You didn't think they brought those signs from home, did you? :smug:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

A stunt granny...