Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

oh jay posted:

I choose to believe Kripke is reading this thread and decided that the only way to stop people from talking about comics Noir is to kill him.

It didn't work.

Kripke definitely parses as a (n at least one-time) goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Mothers milk fuckin sucks and Black Noir shoulda at least got a face to face with SB shockingly bad finale

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I can’t believe they did a push in zoom on Black Noir, someone who cannot express emotion visually.

Edit: One of the most interesting things about the show is that the stock market reacts to Homelander‘s fuckups, yet he has a loyal base of future lunatics who will literally watch commit murder in the middle of six Avenue. The final episode also makes clear that everyone in trumps eventual orbit regrets it and is destroyed by the desires that led them to embrace or at least accept fascism.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 8, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Golden Bee posted:

I can’t believe they did a push in zoom on Black Noir, someone who cannot express emotion visually.

That got a hell of a snort from me.

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Also why does Noir know that SB is the father? He only seems to be given enough info to do his exact task at the time.

What was Mallory doing after Homelander took Ryan? I'd think she'd be in the Boys hideout ASAP.

These were both shown on the show.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I think there’s a lot of change from the status quo, but we do basically have the boys versus Vought and Homelander again.

I’m coming around on soldier boy and Maeve in the finale. If it’s supposed to be a satire in American politics, even the imbeciles who gently caress up big time and piss everyone off never really leave public life, they just have to go into the wilderness for a while before they start doing tell all books and selling colloidal silver.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

e: I'll say it: Superman and Lois had better action sequences than The Boys and that's loving shameful considering the budget disparity between the two shows. The former feels like they have a sense of style and are squeezing every last drop out of their budget while the latter are just people punching with the occasional eye lasers shot in a very lazy and pedestrian way.

Eh, this is almost unfair. Superman and Lois' action scenes are pretty great by any measure. Absolutely bonkers they're working with a CW-esque budget.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Frenchie and Kimiko’s arc about going off to live a happy life just petered out to nothing, a big ol’ reset back to keep them both on the show. The best thing you can say about it was that it is a subversion of the “2 days until retirement” trope, except not really because it feels conspicuous at this point how the show won’t kill off any of the main cast.

I like MM but I really didn’t get what his plan was with SB. Every time he fronted up to him it just seemed he was looking for him to punch him hard once and end up dead? It seems like an odd arc because he would have known fighting him one on one was impossible, but was constantly seeking to do it anyway, having to be held back by others. It wasn’t pitched as him looking to get himself killed, so when he’s pulling out guns to face off against a guy everyone (including him) knows is basically indestructible… it just reads that they have no idea what to do with his character at that point in his arc so they were just spinning their wheels.

Maeve getting a happy ending - again, happy for her but it undermines what she did. I didn’t get the sense she was powered up enough to survive being blown up and hitting the ground at whatever speed after jumping out of the building, with no additional injuries. Ehh a minor gripe but again feels like the show can’t let go of anyone.

A-Train - well, that was disappointing. He came back to have an argument with his brother, have what looked like a breaking point moment with Homelander, only to disappear from the episode completely. Weak. I guess the significance of his heart being from Blue Hawk will be explored in S4? Or maybe it won’t, which is what I suspect. Again, it feels like the show didn’t know what to do with him after it was decided he had to stay alive.

I also echo how silly it was that Butcher came back at the end just to do a reset ostensibly just so we could get to get him do a line to the camera.

Not terrible but not great either, and I don’t think it was a matter of expectations. My biggest issue is with the plot armour of the main characters becoming conspicuous.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Mat Cauthon posted:

Also I wonder if they got gunshy about killing off Homelander given the response to the character. The way things got wrapped up with SB suggests that they want to keep the Supernatural crowd hooked, so hard to say what is being driven by the story versus what is being driven by audience engagement.

Pretty sure the plan all along has been for Homelander to die in the final episode, Butcher being given roughly a year to live means we likely won't get the same ending as in the comic, especially with Black Noir now being dead.

I enjoyed the finale, glad Maeve got out alive (and I like that she was willing to sacrifice herself in order to kill SB) but honestly A-Train's character arc is a mess, at least The Deep actually did something to further the plot.

I hope Nina returns in the first episode of Season 4 and Kimiko just kills her instantly. Would be quite fitting.

Also there's no way Frenchie didn't sneak some V24 from the lab, expect conflict between him and Kimiko regarding that next season.

Also also, SB is still alive. Yay!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I like that Todd cheered on violence after getting his rear end kicked by his stepdaughter’s dad. As we saw with the person converted by the media into a stormchaser, fascist violence can come from weakness just as much as it can strength.

I felt MM being unclear on what to do when you sell soldier boy it was perfectly reasonable. He didn’t address the trauma, so he reverted to his 10-year-old thinking. Eventually, he decides he doesn’t want to face it secretly, telling his daughter the truth about his history.

It’s interesting that the thing they changed most from Trump to HL was “physically powerful“, but the second biggest change was “cares about his family and prioritizes them.” It’s weird that the show is a comedy when it’s parodying reality, which is a farce.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The best moment of the finale was SB revealing that he's an irredeemable piece of poo poo, showing that the one thing he wanted more than anything was the ability to hurt someone as much as his father hurt him. He didn't want a family, he just wanted a chance to inflict his pain on others from the patriarchal role. Kudos to Jensen for pulling that off.

I'm a little disappointed in how anticlimactic the fights were, but anyone who's been paying attention in the slightest had to suspect they'd take this tack writing-wise.

I have to admit that Maeve surviving is implausible unless the "depowering" had a slightly delayed fuse after falling 1000+ feet through a nuclear fireball.

Lastly, I feel like the "Vic the Veep" thing was lazily tacked on and a complete retread of the end of S2.

And now to unfollow this thread until S4.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

It’s interesting that the thing they changed most from Trump to HL was “physically powerful“, but the second biggest change was “cares about his family and prioritizes them.” It’s weird that the show is a comedy when it’s parodying reality, which is a farce.

it's the SNL effect. you can't create something weirder than actual reality, at least when it comes to Trump. But I don't think Homelander is meant to be a Trump stand in, and rightfully so. He's more of an embodiment of the emotion of the American right.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The writer in the Rolling Stones article says he is. But what do you intent to write and what ends up made can be very different.

Seven roster updated:
A Train: back in action
Deep: better than ever
Maeve: Heroic retirement
Noir: we need a new guy under the suit!
Homelander: Yup

We went all the way up to seven, with two deaths, two retirements.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

it's the SNL effect. you can't create something weirder than actual reality, at least when it comes to Trump. But I don't think Homelander is meant to be a Trump stand in, and rightfully so. He's more of an embodiment of the emotion of the American right.

It's more effective as a satire or to go after the effect that a figure like Trump has on people or to take his actions/words and have Homelander, a completely different type of character, portray them than to parody the man itself. Trump is just too idiosyncratic in his public persona for the usual mode of American political satire to work.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

welp, i finally got off work so i'm about to watch it. but "black noir" was trending on twitter so i'm gonna also echo what everyone said and assume he's gonna die tonight

prove me, wrong, The Boys.

prove me wrong :colbert:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Should’ve let soldier boy do his thing.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Homelander is the first superhero-aligned satire of Trump that I think works.

For the past few years DC Comics has tried lazy Lex Luthor references and they're uniformly terrible. Even my beloved Young Justice, otherwise still sharp, has Lex periodically saying "Fake news!" and even a "good people on both sides" at one point.

Which is such a fundamental misread of Lex. The whole drat point of his character is that, if not for his ego, he could literally be a Superman without powers. World Peace? Achieved. Cancer? Cured.

I'm not saying The Boys is subtle but the rapid cutting montage of the radicalized shooter back in Season 2 still sticks with me.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Well, Herogasm was alot to live up to but it's still a shame the finale didn't manage it. The alliance just falling apart at the finish line because Soldier Boy insisted on killing his grandson really felt like the writers going 'well, we can't actually have this sure-fire plan to finally get Homelander work in season 3/5' and sticking in some contrived drama, ended up being a bit of a shaggy dog story

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
black noir got his brains punched out by soldier boy, having his guts punched out by the failson's failson isn't going to stop him, he absolutely healed, just off screen, totally, for sure

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Yeah, pretty disappointed with the finale. 3 seasons of constantly spinning wheels is starting to get pretty tiresome.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Soldier boy was never going to team up with Homelander. There’s just too much self hatred. But classic fascism & neo fascism both need to be fought, they won’t naturally destroy each other.

As a project manager, I like the proof that a bunch of people with kind of the same goal don’t automatically cohere.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
The Boys parodying life is going to go as well as it (eventually) did for Veep.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Eau de MacGowan posted:

black noir got his brains punched out by soldier boy, having his guts punched out by the failson's failson isn't going to stop him, he absolutely healed, just off screen, totally, for sure

The secret to the boys universe is that no one can actually die. Hughies first girlfriend is about to walk back in and make things really awkward for him and Annie

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

welp, i finally got off work so i'm about to watch it. but "black noir" was trending on twitter so i'm gonna also echo what everyone said and assume he's gonna die tonight

prove me, wrong, The Boys.

prove me wrong :colbert:

well gently caress :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mr Interweb posted:

well gently caress :(

It's okay, he's with C-C-C-C-C-Christ now :shobon:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

SirPablo posted:

The Boys parodying life is going to go as well as it (eventually) did for Veep.

In that the final season is widely considered to be some of the best, most biting, and vicious satire in the series?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
fuckin soydad

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

It's to the writing's credit that I'm disappointed in the characters' actions not the show itself.

I wonder if next season they will muse about whether letting Soldier Boy just fry everyone wouldn't have been better.

Yes. Yes it would have, but I can see how they made the mistake.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Even though it's unlikely I do hope there'll be some more Soldier Boy in the future, Jensen Ackles was just so good. Even knowing full well what a complete motherfucker the character is, he keeps getting you to almost want to sympathize with him.

mania
Sep 9, 2004
Homelander’s talk to the Vought gang after killing Black Noir was terrifying. Also love that The Deep was the only one dumb and oblivious enough to genuinely attempt to answer Homelander

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Perestroika posted:

Even though it's unlikely I do hope there'll be some more Soldier Boy in the future, Jensen Ackles was just so good. Even knowing full well what a complete motherfucker the character is, he keeps getting you to almost want to sympathize with him.

I think it's anything except unlikely lol. They didn't leave that open as a possibility to not do it, especially given the reception of the character.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I hope the brain rot hughie has is not going to be dropped. I know Butcher took 2 extra doses, and fainted (a sure sign), but that shouldn't mean hughie gets off scot free. Sounded a lot like nvCJD.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

I think it's anything except unlikely lol. They didn't leave that open as a possibility to not do it, especially given the reception of the character.

Soldier boy will probably be back in a final arc where Homelander goes too far for the US government and they deploy him to stop the supe coup.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 8, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Chamale posted:

He saved her by helping her use her own powers - cranking up all the electricity in that room. He was thinking about taking the Temp-V and teleporting into that room, but he found a better way.

I thought it was nice that the end to Hughie's arc of flirting with toxic masculinity is that he realises that the best thing to do is literally empower the woman in his life.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

yronic heroism posted:

Soldier boy will probably be back in a final arc where Homelander goes to far for the US government and they deploy him to stop the supe coup.

This is my guess, whether the final threat ends up being Butcher or Homelander, they'll pull him out as an ace

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Feels like Annie's big power up should have resulted in a little more damage than it did for how much build up it got, both in the scene and from a series long sense. So many people have called her weak or laughed at her when she glows her eyes that it would have been a lot more satisfying if it did more than just knocked Soldier boy back a bit and a big flash. I would have had it be like one of his explosions but much more focused and directed, it could have been more impactful and still had the same end result of Soldier Boy getting up and dusting himself off, just have him go "oh finally, someone who can actually dish it out" or whatever..

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Nail Rat posted:

This is my guess, whether the final threat ends up being Butcher or Homelander, they'll pull him out as an ace

I can kinda see something like the finale-finale involving Butcher killing Homelander and then Ryan killing Butcher at this point. Then the gang needs to bust Soldier Boy free because no one else is going to even want to try to kill a literal child. I hope that's not where things are going, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I dug that Starlight was - again! - the only person whose first thought was,"A lot of people are going to be in harm's way and we have to warn them and get them out!" It was especially lovely that unlike at Herogasm, Hughie actually made that his priority too and commandeered the PA system to make the fake evacuation alert.

Homelander's reveal that he'd always been capable of seeing beneath Noir's mask and really did know when he was happy/sad etc was a real gutpunch, in that it showed Noir wasn't just (entirely) a blank slate he was projecting his own need for a constant/rock on the team he could rely on. He did legitimately think Noir was doing a great job and singling him out back in season 1 actually was a genuine compliment, for a guy who he actually did appreciate. Those brief humanizing moments for Homelander really make his utter monstrousness even more... monstrous!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jul 8, 2022

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Jerusalem posted:

I dug that Starlight was - again! - the only person whose first thought was,"A lot of people are going to be in harm's way and we have to warn them and get them out!" It was especially lovely that unlike at Herogasm, Hughie actually made that his priority too and commandeered the PA system to make the fake evacuation alert.

Nobody cares about the guards tasked with protecting the bio weapons lab though apparently lol

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Feels like Annie's big power up should have resulted in a little more damage than it did for how much build up it got, both in the scene and from a series long sense. So many people have called her weak or laughed at her when she glows her eyes that it would have been a lot more satisfying if it did more than just knocked Soldier boy back a bit and a big flash. I would have had it be like one of his explosions but much more focused and directed, it could have been more impactful and still had the same end result of Soldier Boy getting up and dusting himself off, just have him go "oh finally, someone who can actually dish it out" or whatever..

Annie gets to spend a season learning how to fully wield her power that she now knows she has and then gets to blast Neumann into dust at the end of it imo. she didn't know she could do that big explosion and she's going to find out all the other things she can do

loved this season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Nobody cares about the guards tasked with protecting the bio weapons lab though apparently lol

Haha I do remember thinking,"Man these poor bastards are just doing their jobs!" Especially as if they'd explained,"Actually we're making the deadliest neurotoxin known to mankind in here so we can kill a beloved American war hero!" it would have made them even more determined to stop them! :allears: