Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

kalel posted:

don't give a poo poo about Fortnite but good on them for using the ikoria Godzilla tech instead of making up new cards

I prefer this too, but at least they’re committing to printing in MTG universe versions of all the new secret lair guys now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Ah, I assume that’s also retroactive?

That’s bait

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Ah, I assume that’s also retroactive?

yep

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

I prefer this too, but at least they’re committing to printing in MTG universe versions of all the new secret lair guys now.

This, yeah. I had originally put in an order for the Stranger Things lair but after I heard it'd get MTG universe equivalents I canceled the order.

I then picked up the entire lair's worth of cards in their MTG form for like, less than 5 bucks. :v

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And price for Stranger Things cards tanked as soon as they announced they'd be in New Capenna.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So checking TCGPlayer and mtggoldfish looks like the prices of the cards in Dbl Masters 22 is starting to dip down. I'm wondering by the end of the weekend how much stuff will go down to.

If the mtggoldfish layouts of cards and their prices is anything to go by, the etched foils look like they are valued way more than a lot of the borderless art/borderless foil counterparts.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/sets/Double+Masters+2022/Main+Set#paper

Collector Booster Box prices have gone down slightly on Amazon, still under 300, Draft Booster boxes have even dipped in price.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I got one box of each, I think I'm gonna crack the collector's box and save the draft box for an event. I really wanna do more drafts with my friends.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Woah Tamiyo got compleated when I wasn’t paying attention. Any idea how far away the next phyrexian set is?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

Woah Tamiyo got compleated when I wasn’t paying attention. Any idea how far away the next phyrexian set is?

We've had three new praetor cards since Kaldheim, the only ones not done so far are Sheoldred and Elesh Norn. It's possible we'll see those soon and it'll tie into a New New Phyrexia set?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Rinkles posted:

Dominaria United and Brothers War could both have phyrexians in them, and I don't think we know the sets after those two

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Yeah I would assume the "United" part is "against the Phyrexians," especially if Brother's War is right after it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah I would assume the "United" part is "against the Phyrexians," especially if Brother's War is right after it.

yeah I think Brothers War is either a prequel, or some time travel fuckery

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Brothers war is supposed to be the first in the new "based on an event" model, and while the current theory is abou t time travel, the original brothers war was between urza and Mishra the culminates in a phyrexian demon.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

Or with them :awesomelon:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

HootTheOwl posted:

Brothers war is supposed to be the first in the new "based on an event" model, and while the current theory is abou t time travel, the original brothers war was between urza and Mishra the culminates in a phyrexian demon.

It's just a 6/6 with two keywords, not that big of a deal.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

I hope it's the start of them going back to old not so good sets and "fixing" them.

What would homelands and fallen empires look like with the benefit of 25+ years design experience?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Cool as hell.
https://twitter.com/TonyDiTerlizzi/status/1545036993704460288
https://twitter.com/TonyDiTerlizzi/status/1545063623533502465

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's just a 6/6 with two keywords, not that big of a deal.

Lol

Drewjitsu posted:

I hope it's the start of them going back to old not so good sets and "fixing" them.

What would homelands and fallen empires look like with the benefit of 25+ years design experience?
Matthew in the future, because return to Kamigawa was very well received.
(Never mind that only saviors was bad)

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Neat!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol awesome

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I want more of this

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Lol

Matthew in the future, because return to Kamigawa was very well received.
(Never mind that only saviors was bad)

But what about Matthew in the present?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If Brothers War is some time travel fuckery to go change how the brothers war went all they really need to do is hook that poo poo up to like Ikoria and the much more powerful creatures will go gently caress up the phyrexians on their own tbh.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Reynold posted:

I got one box of each, I think I'm gonna crack the collector's box and save the draft box for an event. I really wanna do more drafts with my friends.

fwiw everyone gonna end up with 3 Color value piles if you don't have a lot of practice with this set

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
God drat is rhystic studies good at what he does
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdB0ZSZjk-k&hd=1

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Is drafting on MTGO still always a timed event? As in you play in your 8-player pod and have to wait for matches to finish and play the next player? You can't quit and then log in the next day and play someone else who drafted the same set like in Arena? I logged in for the first time in years and saw I had enough play points for a free draft, but if it's a 4 hour commitment I don't know when I'd find time for it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LifeLynx posted:

Is drafting on MTGO still always a timed event? As in you play in your 8-player pod and have to wait for matches to finish and play the next player? You can't quit and then log in the next day and play someone else who drafted the same set like in Arena? I logged in for the first time in years and saw I had enough play points for a free draft, but if it's a 4 hour commitment I don't know when I'd find time for it.

I thought MTGO was always cross-pod drafting, and that you'd rarely, if ever, play against someone in your pod.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

They work the same as premier drafts on Arena. You need to do the drafting all at once and then you can play matches at your leisure.

HootTheOwl posted:

I thought MTGO was always cross-pod drafting, and that you'd rarely, if ever, play against someone in your pod.

It is now but that wasn’t always the case.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

HootTheOwl posted:

It‘s a little more than that. Mishra and Ashnod are the ones who helped opened the portal to Phyrexia on Dominaria in the Caves of Koilos, which allowed Gix to come through and start to converting people into Phyrexian acolytes.
It culminates in Urza destroying a small wave of Phyrexians, igniting his spark, and starting the Ice Age.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Moralistic grandstanding about gangsters is funny, otherwise good video as always.

Shame that the plane mostly ended up as Ravnica with minor art deco aesthetics.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v10ujkmmxC4

Many Magic the Gathering players............

Prof has a really good breakdown of how many cards are worth price per pack vs how much chaff there is including dollar amounts accurate enough as of yesterday Jul. 7th.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 8, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

fatherboxx posted:

Moralistic grandstanding about gangsters is funny, otherwise good video as always.

https://twitter.com/mengu09/status/1512071041761177612

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Way too long to watch imo but thanks for posting, I like this guy's videos.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

LifeLynx posted:

Most people play the draft leagues, which have cross draft play. That means you don't have to block out the whole chunk and can play the games one at a time.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Pulled an etched foil mana drain all is forgiven WOTC

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

fatherboxx posted:

I wonder when wotc is going to prove my theory that "Old Capenna" is actually Serra's Realm

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Jiro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v10ujkmmxC4

Many Magic the Gathering players............

Prof has a really good breakdown of how many cards are worth price per pack vs how much chaff there is including dollar amounts accurate enough as of yesterday Jul. 7th.

I find these videos a bit silly, cause... no duh buying packs at retail and opening them loses you money? If it didn't, the sellers would just open the packs themselves!
But still a decent breakdown

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Thom Yorke raps posted:

I find these videos a bit silly, cause... no duh buying packs at retail and opening them loses you money? If it didn't, the sellers would just open the packs themselves!
But still a decent breakdown

Where do you think the majority of singles come from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Silhouette posted:

I wonder when wotc is going to prove my theory that "Old Capenna" is actually Serra's Realm

New Capenna would have been much more interesting if angels were around and running some of the crime families. I agree the the art deco stuff was a great change visually, but otherwise the set felt very paint-by-numbers to me.