Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Ryan starting to smile at the end as people cheer on homelander after murdering a dude is pretty hosed up. Solid episode, I hope Maeve's ending stays good and ended. This episode wasn't as cool and intense as the past few, but it worked as a season ending I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Does anyone else think that when Homelander took off Noir's mask off-screen the person he saw under the mask was actually an identical clone of Homelander who happens to see identical cartoon hallucinations and have the same name rather than the unmasked guy we saw in Nicaragua and he just forgot to mention it in the final fight?

Does anyone think this is the case? Please. I need this.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

Should’ve let soldier boy do his thing.

:hmmyes:

Homelander and Ryan would have survived, just been depowered. Might have been some collateral damage elsewhere in the room, but worth it

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

yeah but then butcher would have broken his final promise to becca, "do not allow my son to live a normal life"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
bit of a mixed bag of a finale.

show still good tho. homelander lasering the dude in public and ryan smiling was a good stinger for next season.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
They should have depowered Homelander and set up Vic the Veep as the new big bad of the next season. Give Starr an entire season of emoting at people from a jail cell as he goes insane.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

"Dammit, Ryan! We're in the middle of a fight scene!" I shout, as Ryan walks into the room like John Travolta looking for the intercom.

"Dammit, Ryan! We're in the middle of a season finale!"

crepeface posted:

bit of a mixed bag of a finale.

show still good tho. homelander lasering the dude in public and ryan smiling was a good stinger for next season.

Didn't really make much sense though, as a kid who was brought up by a decent mother and seemed to be very empathic in every other scene.

Mixed bag season.

Edit:

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah this sums it up fairly well. The deaths that did happen were ancillary to the main conflict, and the main conflict itself didn't resolve anything. A lot of stuff got shuffled around just to end up in basically the same place.

Also I wonder if they got gunshy about killing off Homelander given the response to the character. The way things got wrapped up with SB suggests that they want to keep the Supernatural crowd hooked, so hard to say what is being driven by the story versus what is being driven by audience engagement.

Also this. But I guess they did establish it's impossible to kill Soldier Boy. Even his insides are bulletproof.

itry fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 8, 2022

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

itry posted:

"Dammit, Ryan! We're in the middle of a fight scene!" I shout, as Ryan walks into the room like John Travolta looking for the intercom.

"Dammit, Ryan! We're in the middle of a season finale!"

Didn't really make much sense though, as a kid who was brought up by a decent mother and seemed to be very empathic in every other scene.

Mixed bag season.

he's a teen boy who's just been through traumatic experiences, the crowd is cheering it on and the guy doing it is his father, the only one in the world like him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I was annoyed Annie didn't stream Maeve talking about being kidnapped.

itry posted:

Mixed bag season.

Yeah, Homelander turned him real quick. Got him to leave Mallory in, like, a minute flat.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
some behind the scenes stuff, including starr talking about the milk drinking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOLUj1Y8FdU&t=504s

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

itry posted:

She died, his previous father figure turned around and said basically the most hurtful thing he could have; that the kid killed his mother and would never be forgiven for it. Then homelander shows up and says the literal opposite, that it was an accident, and he's forgiven. To add fuel to that, this guy just starts yelling and throwing poo poo at them, his dad (who he likes now) takes him out and after a weird spooky moment everyone starts cheering for how awesome he is.

He might have been raised by an empathic, decent, mother; but he was left in the hands of butcher and a CIA agent.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Grace should have probably run a few drills with Ryan vis a vis “poo poo your dad may to try to pull” over the course of their months in hiding

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

the biggest plot twist this episode was ashley doing one good and decent thing

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

QuoProQuid posted:

the biggest plot twist this episode was ashley doing one good and decent thing

Love that her and that agent didn't say poo poo to each other about it. Finally someone acts like Homelander might be listening in at all times.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

That DICK! posted:

Grace should have probably run a few drills with Ryan vis a vis “poo poo your dad may to try to pull” over the course of their months in hiding

give her a break, she was suffering from havana syndrome

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Nuebot posted:

She died, his previous father figure turned around and said basically the most hurtful thing he could have; that the kid killed his mother and would never be forgiven for it. Then homelander shows up and says the literal opposite, that it was an accident, and he's forgiven. To add fuel to that, this guy just starts yelling and throwing poo poo at them, his dad (who he likes now) takes him out and after a weird spooky moment everyone starts cheering for how awesome he is.

He might have been raised by an empathic, decent, mother; but he was left in the hands of butcher and a CIA agent.

Homelander showed up earlier too, scaring his mother half to death every time, culminating in the entire mess that led to his mother's death. Also there was that time where he pushed him off a roof. Maybe if they put more screen time on it, it would feel more believable. As is it doesn't do it for me at all.
Edit: What I'm saying is that I'd expect him to be weirded out or confused if not horrified.

That scene with Homelander telling Ryan it wasn't his fault was pretty good though.

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, Homelander turned him real quick. Got him to leave Mallory in, like, a minute flat.

Had to move him from point A to point B.

itry fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 8, 2022

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Very entertaining and good finale, but like others have noted the reset is a bit lame.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PostNouveau posted:

Love that her and that agent didn't say poo poo to each other about it. Finally someone acts like Homelander might be listening in at all times.

Hilariously, if The Deep hadn't fired the entire surveillance department there would have probably been multiple redundancies in place to prevent something like that from happening :allears:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Annie might be a match for Victoria, remember the Alley guy went for her eyes immediately.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Morrow posted:

They should have depowered Homelander and set up Vic the Veep as the new big bad of the next season. Give Starr an entire season of emoting at people from a jail cell as he goes insane.

Then give him his powers back in the last season and watch him really start doing damage. Would have been a decent idea.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

Hilariously, if The Deep hadn't fired the entire surveillance department there would have probably been multiple redundancies in place to prevent something like that from happening :allears:

Hey, The Deep put his best starfish(es) on it. I'm sure they're doing their best.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

ryan has been treated like a monster or a ticking time bomb by everyone since his mom passed away and the butcher abandoned him. it doesn't seem like a leap for him to run straight into the arms of the first person willing to provide him with support and validation (and also it further underscores a running theme of this season of The Butcher's tactics of being ineffective and counterproductive).

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Very entertaining and good finale, but like others have noted the reset is a bit lame.

well, it's not a complete reset. noir's dead, starlight's out of the seven. maeve is probably gone for good. homelander's emboldened and has ryan. headpopper is running for VP (presumably with homelander's okay).

when did they know they were getting renewed? feel like the narrative was headed to a big closer before they had to rewrite the ending to leave things open.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

noir isnt really going to count against it being a reset because there's nooooo way they don't put some pepe the frog zoomer creep under the mask and insist its the real noir. he didn't even get a news memorial thing, so either he's alive [very unlikely] or they're already making the moves to have someone else take the mask.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

that said, i hope the mask is haunted and the new noir is driven mad by the cartoon critters

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

crepeface posted:

headpopper is running for VP (presumably with homelander's okay).

This was the quid pro quo she offered as part of an ongoing working relationship between the two of them. She got him the address where Ryan was staying, he took (well, got The Deep to take) the top choice for Singer's running mate out of the mix which got her the nod.

Of course, any such relationship is pretty reliant on Homelander not just deciding to end it on a whim. She's going into things with her eyes wide open, but in yet another real-world parallel she could easily end up yet another person who mistakes doing his dirty work as giving her any kind of protection against him just throwing her under the bus the moment it suits him

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Have to say I haven't been a particularly huge fan of Ryan as a character, but the actor sold that creeping smile at the end perfectly.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I mostly liked how the season ended

It really fit the early episodes, Hughie lamenting that nothing they do is actually working or changing things.

The main thing I felt missing was some setup for Stan Edgar into future seasons. I can't imagine he's just gone.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Ryan starting to smile at the end as people cheer on homelander after murdering a dude is pretty hosed up. Solid episode, I hope Maeve's ending stays good and ended. This episode wasn't as cool and intense as the past few, but it worked as a season ending I think.

Oh yeah the direction and acting moment there was fantastic. It's not just Antony Starr acting with his face in this show, other people have been doing great.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
What a loving show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ryan's actor has played the sweet goober role very well. We'll see how he does with budding psychopath.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

crepeface posted:

when did they know they were getting renewed? feel like the narrative was headed to a big closer before they had to rewrite the ending to leave things open.

They weren't renewed till after the season premiered. But I think that Kripke mentioned in one of the EWeekly behind-the-scenes for Episode 7 that Soldier Boy being Homelander's dad wasn't part of their initial breakdown for this season, but considering that it's more likely that Ackles' performance was the X factor in determining his ultimate S3 fate, who knows.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

if it is what happened, deciding not to kill Soldier Boy because Jensen Ackles was so good in the role, was a perfect, beautiful and incredible decision. he ruled and he became the second best part of the show after Homelander. even if he's not a "main" character or he just shows up here and there or even if he's just there to blow up Butcher later, whatever. great decision. give me more Soldier Boy

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Morrow posted:

But does Maeve want to? She's been hinting she'd be fine with being depowered, she's now depowered, everyone thinks she's dead, and she's back with her girlfriend.

I don't know if anyone is going to be allowed a happy ending though.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

black noir got his brains punched out by soldier boy, having his guts punched out by the failson's failson isn't going to stop him, he absolutely healed, just off screen, totally, for sure

If the Vought techs could keep Stormfront alive then they could probably patch up Noir with no issue. The more I think about it the more I'm okay with Noir's arc and don't see the need to keep him around though.

Soldier Boy was a rich pampered rear end in a top hat who couldn't buy his daddy's approval even after cheating his way into becoming a superhero and a war hero. So he puts on the Marlboro Man, Working Class Hero act while indulging his every whim, abusing anyone he feels is beneath him (which is everybody), and generally embodying the worst aspects of American culture. Noir was nearly as strong as him, had the potential to supplant him as the team leader on Payback, and had the temerity to be an insubordinate minority. So of course he got singled out by SB for daring to want to move beyond the station that SB felt was appropriate, and doing so in a way that made SB even more pathetic by comparison.

Noir helps take down SB, but then gets stuck in basically the same role - playing second fiddle to yet another powerful hero with daddy issues who externalizes his insecurities and traumas onto those around him or who cross his path. Noir is spared from that by being loyal, and by facilitating those abuses from time to time, but eventually runs afoul of Homelander anyway. Not because Noir did anything wrong, but just because Homelander needed someone to blame for the things he felt that had been denied him and the things he has failed to acquire having spent so many years indulging his own petty appetites and urges.

When Homelander asked Noir "did you know I had a father out there?", it was a deliberate choice to say yes (without any other context). He could've explained that up until that exact conversation he knew that SB was trapped somewhere but not that SB was HL's father - which is 100% true. Seems like in the moment he decided to say the thing that would get him out of the cycle of serving abusers with nothing to rely on except the hope that they will turn on him last, if SB didn't just kill him outright.

Not the cleanest arc, but sufficient I think. If they bring him back it would just reinforce the "reset" feeling of the whole season and cheapen the development of the character.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I don’t think noir could’ve given an answer good enough or fast enough for Homelander. Noir’s argumentative style is underlining the word bad.

What noir can remember through his cartoon pals and what he can articulate to the world are very very different.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Mat Cauthon posted:

If the Vought techs could keep Stormfront alive then they could probably patch up Noir with no issue. The more I think about it the more I'm okay with Noir's arc and don't see the need to keep him around though.

Soldier Boy was a rich pampered rear end in a top hat who couldn't buy his daddy's approval even after cheating his way into becoming a superhero and a war hero. So he puts on the Marlboro Man, Working Class Hero act while indulging his every whim, abusing anyone he feels is beneath him (which is everybody), and generally embodying the worst aspects of American culture. Noir was nearly as strong as him, had the potential to supplant him as the team leader on Payback, and had the temerity to be an insubordinate minority. So of course he got singled out by SB for daring to want to move beyond the station that SB felt was appropriate, and doing so in a way that made SB even more pathetic by comparison.

Noir helps take down SB, but then gets stuck in basically the same role - playing second fiddle to yet another powerful hero with daddy issues who externalizes his insecurities and traumas onto those around him or who cross his path. Noir is spared from that by being loyal, and by facilitating those abuses from time to time, but eventually runs afoul of Homelander anyway. Not because Noir did anything wrong, but just because Homelander needed someone to blame for the things he felt that had been denied him and the things he has failed to acquire having spent so many years indulging his own petty appetites and urges.

When Homelander asked Noir "did you know I had a father out there?", it was a deliberate choice to say yes (without any other context). He could've explained that up until that exact conversation he knew that SB was trapped somewhere but not that SB was HL's father - which is 100% true. Seems like in the moment he decided to say the thing that would get him out of the cycle of serving abusers with nothing to rely on except the hope that they will turn on him last, if SB didn't just kill him outright.

Not the cleanest arc, but sufficient I think. If they bring him back it would just reinforce the "reset" feeling of the whole season and cheapen the development of the character.

I kind of like this take. Cycles of abuse have been a theme in this season and ending them, sort of, a theme in this episode. We have Frenchie finally putting his foot down and saying No to butcher, Hughie admitting he was wrong, MM explaining himself to his daughter, and we have Butcher simultainously trying to save Hughie's life while also firmly insisting on being the abusive rear end in a top hat like his father would have been, Soldier boy admitting that he is a lovely attention seeking crybaby while refusing to drop the toxic bullshit and only doubling down on it. And even Maeve finally standing up to homelander and literally getting out. So it'd make sense, to some degree, for this to be Noir's cycle of abuse and his way of getting out when, homelander basically spells out that no, he's not going to be killing soldier boy for him.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Nobody cares about the guards tasked with protecting the bio weapons lab though apparently lol

lol if you choose to be a guard for a badguy it's okay if you get killed

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CPFortest posted:

They weren't renewed till after the season premiered. But I think that Kripke mentioned in one of the EWeekly behind-the-scenes for Episode 7 that Soldier Boy being Homelander's dad wasn't part of their initial breakdown for this season, but considering that it's more likely that Ackles' performance was the X factor in determining his ultimate S3 fate, who knows.

lol sucks for Aya Cash.

"Yeah our guest star for the season was just sooooooooooo loving good that we had to rewrite some stuff so we could keep him around. You really don't want to lose and awesome talent like that!"

*Stormfront kills herself offscreen*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Homelander next season: "oh, by the way, who is my mom?"

*Cut to - Mecha Stormfront*