Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Guavanaut posted:

I'd give the novel a pass because fiction is allowed to be all kinds of that without endorsing behaving that way in real life, and I get the impression that a bit like the watermelon articles it's more like a "ha ha you couldn't really say that", except that a significant fraction of his admirers haven't grasped that you couldn't really say that and I think he's so far wrapped up in Bozza Legend now that I'm not sure that he does either.

Have you read a synopsis of the novel? It really seems to reflect his own worldview. From wikipedia:

quote:

Attention was refocused on Seventy-Two Virgins in 2019, with Johnson poised to win the Conservative Party leadership election and become Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.[5] In The Guardian, Mark Lawson noted that "it's striking that Barlow's view – that public value should make private conduct irrelevant – is one the writer has continued to embrace through domestic troubles." He noted the anti-French and anti-American tone, and pointed out the use of offensive language: "references to 'Islamic headcases' and 'Islamic nutcases'. Arabs are casually noted to have 'hook noses' and 'slanty eyes'; a mixed-race Briton is called 'coffee-coloured'; and there are mentions of 'pikeys' and people who are 'half-caste'."[6] Sexist content was also noted. More sinister was that "the suggestion – from both an external observer, and the protagonist's inner voice – that Barlow [the author surrogate] may be a fraud. His assistant worries that, under the jaunty vaudeville act, there are no real core ideals, values or beliefs."[6] The novel was also criticised for depicting Jews as "controlling the media" and being able to "fiddle" elections, an evidently antisemitic trope.[7] During the 2019 general election campaign, Catherine Bennett similarly argued that the novel "amounts to a compelling case for character reappraisal" and that its perceived tendency to evaluate women's worth "according to their fuckability on the – sometimes eccentric – Johnson scale" indicates a lack of "interest in addressing, for instance, sex discrimination, harassment, [or] the gender pay gap".[8]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1545386537868820482

That tweet is getting deleted sharpish.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Have you read a synopsis of the novel? It really seems to reflect his own worldview. From wikipedia:
Yes, it's casually offensive to everyone throughout. It's okay for fiction to do that provided that the reader understands that isn't an endorsement of how to behave in reality. The big difference in this case is that it also appears that the author forgot that.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Tigey posted:

Surprising, as I'm sure the Tories were abusing their power to put pressure behind the scenes on the police to take action.

Well the Tories weilding power isn't really an issue anymore

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

MeinPanzer posted:

Unfortunately no.

It might still be worth speaking to UCU (and joining them) as they have some latitude to talk to non-members, particularly if it can be phrased as a health and safety issue.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

I don't know why people ever gave a poo poo about his adulteries or how many kids he had.

You don't need to grasp at straws with that man.

It makes him a national security risk. The man is astonishingly easily manipulated by putting a pretty blonde near him, and until very recently the number of his children wasn't publicly known and could have been used to blackmail him.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Dabir posted:

It makes him a national security risk. The man is astonishingly easily manipulated by putting a pretty blonde near him, and until very recently the number of his children wasn't publicly known and could have been used to blackmail him.

Oh cmon, that's reaching.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mega Comrade posted:

Jacob Reese moggs account found.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

There's plenty of stories out there about foreign diplomats putting pretty blondes next to him and getting the slack jawed idiot to agree anything out of sheer horniness

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Tories go on a lot about 'personal responsability' so i think its important to loudly point out that their leader happily went shagging around while his wife was being treated for cancer and won't reveal how many children he has to pay child support to.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mega Comrade posted:

I don't know why people ever gave a poo poo about his adulteries or how many kids he had.

You don't need to grasp at straws with that man.

It's somewhat indicative of character: do we really want a Prime Minister who is so demonstrably comfortable with lying and treating people like poo poo?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

His shagging around directly cost the taxpayer hundreds of thousands of pounds that he was funneling to that violinist for "computer lessons".

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Have it on good authority.that Boris Johnson is going to say he'll resign

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Huge if true

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Dabir posted:

His shagging around directly cost the taxpayer hundreds of thousands of pounds that he was funneling to that violinist for "computer lessons".

Also, the pile of cash that Jennifer Arcuri got for 'consulting'

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

...i mean the dude is extremely shameless which actually works in his favour here, but 'has random kids with anyone' is also not a good look for someone trying to run a country.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mega Comrade posted:

you could literally capture boris johnson by putting a pin up poster with a ham sandwich on it, under a propped up tesco shopping trolley and he would walk over to it while making awooga noises and drooling and then the trolley would fall on him and he would be unable to escape by himself.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That's actually how they got him to make that resignation speech.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kingturnip posted:

Also, the pile of cash that Jennifer Arcuri got for 'consulting'

God, that ruled. Boris rules.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

He will just keep misquoting the Iliad until the trolly backs off itself.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

Yes, it's casually offensive to everyone throughout. It's okay for fiction to do that provided that the reader understands that isn't an endorsement of how to behave in reality. The big difference in this case is that it also appears that the author forgot that.

IMO the much more damming bit is that the main character is a glaringly obvious Mary stu self-insert of Boris.

Cynical scandal-prone MP with messy hair stops a terrorist plot to blow up the US president while being pursued for his romantic scandals and indiscretions despite the good he does, I mean come the gently caress on.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, Boris Johnson isn't a bad person because he wrote that book (there's a thousand better real world reasons), but it is a bad book because it was written by Boris Johnson.

It could have been a clever pastiche of the war on terror that happens to use offensive language and stereotypes and dialogue all the way, but Boris.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

feedmegin posted:

...i mean the dude is extremely shameless which actually works in his favour here, but 'has random kids with anyone' is also not a good look for someone trying to run a country.

Maybe to some. But I think in the grand scheme of things (of which him being a liar, racist and misogynist) I think its pretty insignificant.

Maybe just growing up and learning about all the "national security risk" bullshit people used to spout to keep gay people out of positions in power just has me sceptical there is any merit in that line of argument.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 8, 2022

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Surprise T Rex posted:

He was also a member of the Bullingdon Club, a lovely little society at his private school where one of the initiation rites was to burn a £50 in front of a homeless man, and they'd regularly go to restaurants and trash the place for a laugh. Neither thing has been confirmed as things that Boris actually did as far as I know, but he was part of the club, so...

His (not private, actually, we only have one of those and surprisingly it's Buckingham not Oxbridge) university. Though he did also go to private (public yes yes I know it's complicated) school as well.

Edit: apparently we have a few more now. I have heard of none of them.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 8, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think people object to johnson's johnson is because it is pretty emblematic of his general attitude, he's a sleazy creep who has the temperament of a lecherous drunk but who isn't treated like that because he's rich and institutionally connected. But yet he still appears like the sort of person everyone has encountered and thinks should be punched in the face.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hahaha holy poo poo they are so loving mad https://twitter.com/prkirkley/status/1545357920686186496

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Littlejohn isn't a real person I'm sure of it.

Still think the Express topped the Mail by declaring that Boris gave us our freedom.

He has resigned for our sins

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/hywelroberts12/status/1545344860537978881

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

:sickos:

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Lungboy posted:

It might still be worth speaking to UCU (and joining them) as they have some latitude to talk to non-members, particularly if it can be phrased as a health and safety issue.

Thanks; I just joined them today, so I'm hoping to speak to them next week after my membership is confirmed. I'm also going to be speaking to the temporary head of the department next week to lay out what's happened and cover my bases if something does happen in future.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/deathbybadger/status/1545372201402114049?t=5LJc8YUbjlWDWCjo6A2ubQ&s=19

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Who is Ed Milliband, whats up with his bacon sandwich, and why is he being blamed for all of this?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cimber posted:

Who is Ed Milliband, whats up with his bacon sandwich, and why is he being blamed for all of this?

ed milliband was the leader of labour during the coalition government, 2010 to 2015. He ate a bacon sandwich in a slightly ungainly fashion and was photographed doing it, which was considered a terrible thing because clearly a man who cannot eat a bacon sandwich in a dignified fashion could never be prime minister, I say, in 2022, putting on the clown makeup.

In reality he just wasn't a very good leader, much in the same vein as starmer, wet fart liberal whose other most famous achievement was the edstone, where he engraved labour's policy commitments onto a giant rock as a stunt before the election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EdStone (oh my god it has its own wikipedia article)

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 8, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

ed milliband was the leader of labour during the coalition government, 2010 to 2015. He ate a bacon sandwich in a slightly ungainly fashion and was photographed doing it, which was considered a terrible thing because clearly a man who cannot eat a bacon sandwich in a dignified fashion could never be prime minister, I say, in 2022, putting on the clown makeup.

ah hello prime minister

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also lmao I did not know this part:

quote:

Initial enquiries aimed to determine why spending incurred on the stone tablet was missing from the Labour Party's campaign spending return. It was established that these payments, totalling £7,614, were missing from the party's return and the Electoral Commission launched an investigation which uncovered other undeclared expenses. The Commission concluded that the party's spending return was incomplete, as it omitted 74 payments totalling £123,748, along with 33 separate invoices totalling £34,392. The registered treasurer of the party, Iain McNicol committed two offences under the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000 and the Labour party was fined £20,000. At the time, this was the largest fine the Commission had imposed since it began operations in 2001.[3]

forensic

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
This bit always kills me off

quote:

Dan Hodges reported that while watching Miliband unveil the tablet on television, a Labour press officer "started screaming. He stood in the office, just screaming over and over again at the screen. It was so bad they thought he was having a breakdown"

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The thick of it was a documentary

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"The US attack on reproductive rights is because of trans people, only if we launch a full on attack on puberty blockers, self ID, and talking about sex and gender will a woman's right to choose be protected" is a loving leviathan of a take. A take that drowns entire nations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

the sex ghost posted:

This bit always kills me off

quote:

Dan Hodges reported that while watching Miliband unveil the tablet on television, a Labour press officer "started screaming. He stood in the office, just screaming over and over again at the screen. It was so bad they thought he was having a breakdown"

Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooolly poo poo, I can see it, it's beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/EuanYours/status/1545427241793994752