Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I assume these are pre-computer, vacuum driven fuel efficiency/pollution control mechanisms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

...when your software crashes but there's still some of it running somewhere that knows not to let you drive with the screen playing netflix...

https://twitter.com/Black24Payne/status/1544420167660314624?s=20&t=O5OZtmm1jeRu4KGpO6e9Yg

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Scratch Monkey posted:

I assume these are pre-computer, vacuum driven fuel efficiency/pollution control mechanisms?

computer controlled carb.

The A series that came after in the next gen prelude had no fewer vacuum lines carb or efi.
Things didn't start cleaning up till the late 80s with the B series.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Even grading on the ambitious concept car scale, no. Just no.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Not sure how making your car look like a 1947 F1 pickup is innovative.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It looks like something from Batman: The Animated Series, but like they tried to create some unholy union of Art Deco and turn-of-the-millenium Sony AIBO style.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That is acceptable if and only if each bar makes a different tone when you strike it like a xylophone so when you're driving through fly over states the bugs hitting it sound like dragonforce.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Kinda reminds me of the roads in Sheffield when the cold weather hits. No thank you, I'm staying indoors until it thaws.

https://twitter.com/lookabee83/status/1544706258112237568?t=vZ0BBl3QFPSDhNtK32mqfA&s=19

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmao just close that road to vehicles, what a disaster

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Lol the last one.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
How often does Mexico City have ice storms?

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
I love how you can see more crashes in the background on the other street as well

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Imagined posted:

Mexico City is in a tropical region but at high elevation. While it rarely freezes there have been temperatures recorded below freezing. It even used to snow until Lake Texcoco was drained and the lake effect snow couldn't happen anymore.

More common is hail in the summer wet season.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Imagined posted:

I just randomly stumbled across this vacuum hose diagram for (dual-carb) 1984 Preludes. :psyduck:

Apologies if I trigger anyone's PTSD with that.

Gives the Rx-7 a run for its money.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

Gives the Rx-7 a run for its money.

The RX-7 turbo vacuum diagram is a piece of modern art they reverse-engineered into a car's engine bay. That's the only explanation.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

The magic happens in the middle?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Power is stored in the tubes.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
The car is simply a series of tubes....

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

A Honda engine is not a big truck you just throw vacuum on.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Imagined posted:

Is there even ice involved there, or just wet on a vertical road?

Scratch Monkey posted:

Literally. It's a rotary, so the magic is in the spinning Doritos until they escape.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Imagined posted:

Is that even from ice or is the road just wet?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You know how a road is most slippery just after it rains? I'm imagining that's the case.

This goes in this thread because he didn't lower it. Amateur.

*fakedit: lol at the warning

https://twitter.com/SupraMiqote/status/1545265578872475648?s=20&t=5gBDKS-aC_5TMJvSt4Gqgw

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 8, 2022

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Hey all, discussion about lovely companies and youtubers has it's own thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006636

Dont know how well it'll work but it's open now.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Didn't get a picture, but on the drive to work I saw a Pontiac Solstice with a custom American flag paint job, complete with "DON'T TREAD" written across the back.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You know how a road is most slippery just after it rains? I'm imagining that's the case.

This goes in this thread because he didn't lower it. Amateur.

*fakedit: lol at the warning

https://twitter.com/SupraMiqote/status/1545265578872475648?s=20&t=5gBDKS-aC_5TMJvSt4Gqgw

From the 1993 newspaper article:
"Are we going to have to wait until gas prices got to $5 a gallon before they build a high-mileage car?"

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

joat mon posted:

From the 1993 newspaper article:
"Are we going to have to wait until gas prices got to $5 a gallon before they build a high-mileage car?"

Has automaker focus on efficiency ever been lower?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

PBCrunch posted:

Has automaker focus on efficiency ever been lower?

As the trucks get taller the mileage goes lower

2022 F-250

15 MPG highway

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
F250 falls under the classification of a 'medium-duty truck' and therefore subject to different economy/emissions/safety standards. Over 8500lb CAFE does not apply.

Light duty is under 8,500lb gvwr. Medium is 8,501-10,000lb, also known as class 2b, 3.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ever since gas prices shot up over the last ~6 months I have seen so many Hummers (mostly H2s but also an H1). I haven't seen any in years but I guess now owners just want to be able to complain about gas prices?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

If it has 4 wheels it should be subject to the same standards. Ones that mean heavy cars get the chop because they suck. #ColinChapmanGang

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If it has 4 wheels it should be subject to the same standards. Ones that mean heavy cars get the chop because they suck. #ColinChapmanGang

That's not reasonable or possible. Commercial vehicles exist and are not for or able to conform to fuel efficiency standards of passenger vehicles.

You can argue about where the line should be drawn (heavier, certainly) but you can't treat them all the same. It's not realistic or practical.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

That's not reasonable or possible. Commercial vehicles exist and are not for or able to conform to fuel efficiency standards of passenger vehicles.

You can argue about where the line should be drawn (heavier, certainly) but you can't treat them all the same. It's not realistic or practical.

Though technically they generally have more than four wheels. However goon in question seems to be having a fever dream in which entropy doesn't exist seeing as how its possible to have "four wheels", weigh north of 26 thousand pounds, and have a drag coefficient of a four over one apartment complex.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Could make it illegal for individuals to buy commercial vehicles then.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Reminds me of the C10 Big Ten that was sold in 1980 so they could make one more year where it wasn’t covered by emissions standards before being choked the same cars from 1981.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

In the EU, in general, the vehicle tax is based on CO2 emissions. The more it emits the more you pay. Commercial vehicles that are actually used in business purposes usually have more lenient rules. And there are various other excemptions as well, but in general the CO2 is the deciding factor.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

This is more fever dream stuff. I'm guessing you don't know just how easy and cheap it is to form a legal entity/business in the US.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

which directly targets owner/operators. easy to negate with a llc.

bad_fmr posted:

In the EU, in general, the vehicle tax is based on CO2 emissions. The more it emits the more you pay. Commercial vehicles that are actually used in business purposes usually have more lenient rules. And there are various other excemptions as well, but in general the CO2 is the deciding factor.

Trucks in CA over a certain weight(iirc its 5 or 6k-lb) are titled different(as commercial) are taxed based on their unladen weight.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Nissan Titan XD couldn't get an exemption from economy testing because it's box was under 72 inches and as such was still considered a passenger vehicle for which the limit for exemption is 10,000lb gvwr, so they kept the GVWR at 8,500lbs meaning the maximum payload on the top trim trucks were ~1,100lbs, less than a Toyota Camry.

On the plus side they're unreliable pieces of poo poo and parts just don't exist for them, so they won't be on the road much longer. Can't use fuel and produce emissions if it can't run.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Half the posts are for the government and police to gently caress off and half are calls to make more things illegal. Just trying to keep up with what to think today.

When the big trucks are illegal who will deliver the electric cars?

everdave fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

everdave posted:

Half the posts are for the government and police to gently caress off and half are calls to make more things illegal. Just trying to keep up with what to think today.

When the big trucks are illegal who will deliver the electric cars?

You're such a goober.