Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the killers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Wolfmother would be a good choice as well, though it just occured to me what was LCD Soundsystem doing at that time, anything that could be mistaken for punk by an idiot?

Edit: Or maybe Shonen Knife? I'm just spitballing loud/vaguely punky indie bands at this point.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 8, 2022

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Thats an archive.org tape review right? Feels like complaining about jam band fans there is like flipping over a rock and getting mad there are worms and beetles

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

JamesKPolk posted:

Thats an archive.org tape review right? Feels like complaining about jam band fans there is like flipping over a rock and getting mad there are worms and beatles

If I flipped a rock and Ringo was under it I'd be pretty livid tbh

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Echo Festival 2007, so it's absolutely The Killers.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

its cypress hill

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the killers, were, in fact, the red herring

https://archive.org/details/spoon2004-03-06.flac16

Spoon.

JamesKPolk posted:

Thats an archive.org tape review right? Feels like complaining about jam band fans there is like flipping over a rock and getting mad there are worms and beetles

I mean, I'm not complaining, I have downloaded a bunch of dumb jam stuff from there.

I'm just flabbergasted at this guy's extremely defensive take on "indi-rock" with a band that's basically always been...not nearly anything like the sex pistols

what is the unwanted element? soap?

if he was complaining about one of the hip-hop acts on the bill, it would at least be some kind of dumb true-to-type thing, but nowhere near as funny

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

hexwren posted:

the killers, were, in fact, the red herring

https://archive.org/details/spoon2004-03-06.flac16

Spoon.

I mean, I'm not complaining, I have downloaded a bunch of dumb jam stuff from there.

I'm just flabbergasted at this guy's extremely defensive take on "indi-rock" with a band that's basically always been...not nearly anything like the sex pistols

what is the unwanted element? soap?

if he was complaining about one of the hip-hop acts on the bill, it would at least be some kind of dumb true-to-type thing, but nowhere near as funny

hahaha probably in the mix!

I am 100% assuming the reviewer is a white guy with dreads who's been on tour his whole adult life, because those are the people I remember caring about this kind of thing in 2007. not defending! just the scene was in a very whack place post phish 2.0/pre Furthur

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Here's something dumb, deathcore lyrics.

Incel Rant or Metal Lyrics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HixyPL2-ho

I don't listen to this kind of metal so I had no idea it was this bad. Pretty funny in a :stare: kind of way.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Emo is like half veiled threats from jilted dudes, it just ramps up in intensity as it gets heavier.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

well why not posted:

Emo is like half veiled threats from jilted dudes, it just ramps up in intensity as it gets heavier.

How 'bout I'm outside of your window?
(Well, how 'bout I'm outside of your window)

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Screamo and deathcore was always toxic dude music about impotent rage and being jilted outsider nerds.

I was watching the local music video show here last week and the guest programmer was running through a bunch of post-hardcore and screamo bands and the amount of videos that are dudes in their mid to late 20s rocking out high schools and making out with "teens" was easily 3/4 of them.

Just screaming about how they could never get dates and women are whores or cheaters while the visuals fantasise about grown adults getting with
high schoolers.

I mean it's not something specific to those genres but it's certainly a big part of them and their appeal to their target audience.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

There is a weird crossover in vibe between late stage screamo bullshit and hair metal

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
How many genres fit into the category of "angry white guy music"

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pantera is doing a reunion?

I enjoyed the guy who made death metal song out of some vegan screed. Something about "devouring the unborn" and probably "feasting on the flesh" just worked in both contexts.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

BonHair posted:

Pantera is doing a reunion?

I enjoyed the guy who made death metal song out of some vegan screed. Something about "devouring the unborn" and probably "feasting on the flesh" just worked in both contexts.

Cattle Decapitation?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Actuary X posted:

How many genres fit into the category of "angry white guy music"

How many don't? :haw:

That has to be like 75% of all guitar-bands.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

massive spider posted:

There is a weird crossover in vibe between late stage screamo bullshit and hair metal

Not sure I'm getting the timelines right, but I kinda feel this vibe. Bands like Avenged Sevenfold (and to a lesser/weirder extent, Coheed and Cambria) had their screamo roots but dug really into the pageantry and made all their productions le epic. The weirdest part was seeing musician friends who moved on from their reckless Warped Tour favourites and got really heavily into the technicality of your A7Xs and Protest the Heros, turning up their nose at the pop-punk sounds they used to love while pretending those theatrical sweep-pickers in top hats aren't just as sophomoric. Dude, in six months you'll either be a Dream Theater fan, or one of those embarrassing guys trying to make dubstep/screamo work.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

quote:

theatrical sweep-pickers in top hats
I lol.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I still really like pop-punk, and dollar-for-dollar, probably the best cash I spent on music was buying cheap punk sampler cds, for how often I've gone back to those songs

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Never lost my skatepunk roots, still love that poo poo

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Spanish Manlove posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hscRToHRULg

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I have always been too good for punk, because it's dumb music for dumb people. Until recently, when I learned that dumb music is hella fun. And also cool basslines and awesome downpicking.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

hexwren posted:

I still really like pop-punk, and dollar-for-dollar, probably the best cash I spent on music was buying cheap punk sampler cds, for how often I've gone back to those songs

Spanish Manlove posted:

:hmmyes:

Probably 70% of my gym playlist is pop-punk/skate-punk.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

:hmmyes:

Probably 70% of my gym playlist is pop-punk/skate-punk.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater soundtracks rip

edit: Jimmy Eat World!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
jordan olds posted the playlist for the st. vitus emo/punk karaoke night they're doing rn and it was an absolute monster of a list

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

hexwren posted:

Like 75% of my musical taste comes from impulse buying Give 'Em The Boot III from Hot Topic for $2 on a middle school trip and listening to it over and over on the bus ride back home.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This convo is bringing me back to the days of "REAL emo isn't Fall Out Boy! Go to fourfa.com!"

Plenty of screamo isn't about relationships at all, and a lot of it is made by women. Go listen to Orchid or Circle Takes the Square or Foxtails and tell me it's toxic dudebro music.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Seriously, this band is what got me into harsh vocals. Also probably my favorite bass tone is on this EP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gtVemmkq1g

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Old ska compilation CDs were my bread and butter back in the day. It was the best way to find bands outside the mainstream, and gave me songs from a bunch of bands that I could never find albums. Pound for pound, though, Hopelessly Devoted to You II was the best money I spent on a CD.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

OutOfPrint posted:

Old ska compilation CDs were my bread and butter back in the day. It was the best way to find bands outside the mainstream, and gave me songs from a bunch of bands that I could never find albums. Pound for pound, though, Hopelessly Devoted to You II was the best money I spent on a CD.

Me too, this was one of my first. Tons of classics

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lvFy16xZWKfOYHWd2iX8wDxydEvMP_f4E

Never got into anything from much later though :shrug:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

This convo is bringing me back to the days of "REAL emo isn't Fall Out Boy! Go to fourfa.com!"

Plenty of screamo isn't about relationships at all, and a lot of it is made by women. Go listen to Orchid or Circle Takes the Square or Foxtails and tell me it's toxic dudebro music.

This is undisputed, but bands like that are a pretty small fraction of the scene. Brokencyde was allowed to exist.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

I think this counts as stupid music poo poo.

Roger Waters is apparently a huge loving tankie.

https://nypost.com/2022/08/08/roger-waters-tour-calls-president-biden-a-war-criminal/

e:lmao - "Taiwan is part of China!” Waters said emphatically."

Bill Posters fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 9, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Biden reads the news and has a flashback to laying on the hood of his Firebird with some sweet Mary Jane, listening to Piper At the Gates of Dawn. A single tear rolls down his cheek.

Idk enough about the Taiwan situation but Waters gets a pass from me despite recent comments about Russia because just about everything else he's an unabashed activist about is correct.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is he pro Russia?

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Yes.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, he's also vehemently anti-brexit, pro-Labour, has spoken out against both Trump and Bolsonaro's fascist rhetoric, and for decades has been one of the strongest voices for Palestine in the music industry. He can be wrong about one or two things.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Bill Posters posted:

e:lmao - "Taiwan is part of China!” Waters said emphatically."

In fairness, he's technically correct. The issue has always been WHICH China.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

music thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
oh my god this is lame as gently caress and no one should care about it in any way shape or form