Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Pulled Shinobu, and have now deployed a new team. Current status: am hooting and also hollering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I will never pay attention to unvoiced dialogue and absolutely will not read text only lore dumps

I don't care about the lore in general, I want goofy characters being idiots at each other. Basically I'm saying the game should focus on the Klees, Fischls and the Ittos rather than the Yelans or Ayakas.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
All Genshin characters are pretty much one flavor. Alot of those flavors just unbelievably dull.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Kale posted:

e: Never mind figured out the top up site again. Anyway looking like I'm probably not getting Shinobu as I plan on going no higher than one more 10 roll on the Itto banner near the end and capping at 40 on the pity counter. No biggie, not a hugely sought after character and one that I can get some other time perhaps.

My pity's pretty high and I want Kazuha, so I've made peace with not pulling Shinobu. It is what it is.

My pulls on this banner were bad. I went from a CO Yanfei to a C7, which might have been okay if I used her at all, but as it is she sits at Lvl. 1

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I think Ayaka's "crushing super hard on traveler" thing borders on goofy, I like it. Ayato, though, less interesting. 100% need more klee, and more klee / yoimiya antics

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the Yelan story quest is cool, much better showing than her being both boring and unfun in the Archon quest. i think at worst i get this thing with the character writing where i guess the method of presentation hurts my impression and i've got to go back to pick at the text to pull out what i end up enjoying about the characters. this mainly happened with Kokomi and Ayaka in recent memory.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

The Yelan story quest is a spy flick and more importantly it isn't all that much about her

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Andrast posted:

I will never pay attention to unvoiced dialogue and absolutely will not read text only lore dumps

I don't care about the lore in general, I want goofy characters being idiots at each other. Basically I'm saying the game should focus on the Klees, Fischls and the Ittos rather than the Yelans or Ayakas.

I've bad got news to you about the game going forward

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tae posted:

The gameplay loop and exploration are still entertaining, but the dialog is still atrociously bloated and could use an editor. Maybe it's a symptom of a too literal translation.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Boogle posted:

The gameplay loop and exploration are still entertaining, but the dialog is still atrociously bloated and could use an editor. Maybe it's a symptom of a too literal translation.

I've posted about this before but it's not even literally translating things. The English translation very consistently bloats up simple sentences in Chinese :v:
A pretty bad one I remember was this:

If they translated directly from chinese, it would have said something like "He told me he was leaving to go find treasure and I haven't heard from him since...wait those coots arent in cahoots are they?!"

Xun fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 8, 2022

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Boogle posted:

honkai is also incredibly wordy and drowning in text, the only difference is the ability to skip all of it because it's a visual novel style rather than constant open world.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Eh, better than having it be unreadable which is the state of most Chinese translated games

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Garrand posted:

I think Ayaka's "crushing super hard on traveler" thing borders on goofy, I like it. Ayato, though, less interesting. 100% need more klee, and more klee / yoimiya antics

Well, we got Dori to look forward to. I expect she'll end up cartoonishly capitalist and it should hopefully be worth a few hoots.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

Crying and shaking @ the thought that there are people, in this very thread, that would so callously slander the best line in genshin. Coots in cahoots is classic and iconic

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

MoonCrab posted:

Crying and shaking @ the thought that there are people, in this very thread, that would so callously slander the best line in genshin. Coots in cahoots is classic and iconic

It was just a really good example of them blowing up a fairly simple sentence into an entire long, meandering paragraph that doesn't add any information at all. Could also go with "Wait they arent coots in cahoots are they?!" and it'd still be the same result :shrug:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

The events have mostly been good and the next patch has a fischl centric event so I wouldn't be so sure about that

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Huh, didn't know the Heizou trailer came out. Get on the ball thread.

I'm so close to pity, I'm actually hoping to lose 50/50 so I can pull this dude. I don't really want to get either Kazuha or Klee constellations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

other than the music it's not a very exciting trailer to post. looking forward to the team theorycrafting for him in a week regardless

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
It'll be interesting to see how big his punch can get. The talent numbers are nuts (>1000% at a full charge), but Anemo doesn't have as many ways to stack +DMG or -RES

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

It's fun they just straight up gave him some Great Ace Attorney music. I do look forward to seeing how he turns out. Seems like he'll have potential as a taser team driver, a traditional damage dealer, or a traditional swirl support.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xun posted:

It was just a really good example of them blowing up a fairly simple sentence into an entire long, meandering paragraph that doesn't add any information at all. Could also go with "Wait they arent coots in cahoots are they?!" and it'd still be the same result :shrug:

Yeah, things could be more concise and that'd help. I do feel like the Adepti and Zhongi get a break and are allowed to be verbose though. It just seems like it fits them

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I can't imagine it getting any better when we're going to the land of scholars. We gonna get dissertations every cutscene. :v:

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

Xun posted:

There's a time and place for anything. The meandering, self aggrandized style of speaking, undercut by the slight twinge of sillyness, perfectly captures both the character concept and situation perfectly. Cloud retainer has a lot of great dialogue like this, that highlights her character of being both, like, a quasi divine ancient mystical being, but also kind of a dorky embarassing mom. It doesn't work it a lot of circumstances (or in genshin most circumstances...) but it works perfectly for her.

Kinda like how genshins foreign language pronounciation is mostly terrible and awkward, except for Fischl, for whom it's terrible and funny.

MoonCrab fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 8, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

unvoiced dialogue is based but genshin does love taking 5 dialogue boxes to get to the same point and i doubt its any different in cn even if the individual lines are shorter. speaking bluntly it just seems to be written assuming the audience is extremely slow on the uptake.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

MoonCrab posted:

There's a time and place for anything. The meandering, self aggrandized style of speaking, undercut by the slight twinge of sillyness, perfectly captures both the character concept and situation perfectly. Cloud retainer has a lot of great dialogue like this, that highlights her character of being both, like, a quasi divine ancient mystical being, but also kind of a dorky embarassing mom. It doesn't work it a lot of circumstances (or in genshin most circumstances...) but it works perfectly for her.
Yeah, I'm happy to give Cloud Retainer a pass because it's part of her weirdo act. It gets a bit old when everyone in Inazuma is reciting whole novels at you.

quote:

Kinda like how genshins foreign language pronounciation is mostly terrible and awkward, except for Fischl, for whom it's terrible and funny.
As a nerd who took Latin in school instead of a useful language, I will never get over how every character pronounces "abyssosque".

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WOsMWBCxno

I love that this dude has made an entire youtube presence off of bullying Childe.

Also Fischl is Rad.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Endorph posted:

unvoiced dialogue is based but genshin does love taking 5 dialogue boxes to get to the same point and i doubt its any different in cn even if the individual lines are shorter. speaking bluntly it just seems to be written assuming the audience is extremely slow on the uptake.

And even when they're really short 5-word dialogue boxes there's often tons of annoying unskippable delays between the 5 of them before you can advance to the next one, to make sure you appreciate the canned npc-nodding animation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah thats my thing, the writing would flow a lot better if it was fgo style vn presentation because at least all youd have to wait for is a character's sprite to slightly bob up and down rather than 25 seconds of walking over to the other side of the room.

some of the cutscene direction is cool but so much of iti s insanely bland, but they still insist on trying to pretend it isnt just oldschool bioware style cut to character a's head, cut to character b's head

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

FFXIV does a localization thats way more flowery than the source materia, but the japanese text is very dry so I prefer the english localization.

But the thing is FFXIV doesn't make me sit through lines of texts every day when trying to do dailies AND I can skip things if I want. Genshin does so many force character interjections that I think the developers are doing it to vex us.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ff14 also lets you instantly fill the dialogue box and skip cutscenes, though

im an extremely fast reader (not a humblebrag or anything all its ever gotten me is free small pizzas from pizza hut when i was 7) and genshin just seems to resent me for that lol

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

If Genshin was more like FFXIV you would get a message that says "Upon initiating this weekly event, several cutscenes will play in sequence. It is required that you set aside sufficient time to let NPCs speak in their entirety." but at least it would be honest

Kale
May 14, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

FFXIV does a localization thats way more flowery than the source materia, but the japanese text is very dry so I prefer the english localization.

I always had a hunch that was the case. Genshin's cutscenes are reliant on the in-game engine and I don't think they've compensated for any shortcuts to the animations playing out. The way it locks out certain quests when a character is being used in another one leads me to believe it preloads all the animations when you have a quest enter the quests menu and all subsequent model animations for that quest and holds them in memory until you activate them with a trigger and then it just plays out the whole animation sequence as triggered by you hitting the confirm button and that's just it. The quests seem to be locked out so it doesn't play the wrong animations for those character models during a different cutscene and then releases those character models from those sets of animations when you complete the quest and unlocks them for conflicting ones. That's my theory at least.

Also I've definitely seen the screen start to fade black, but a character just kind of pop into the frame from where ever it's being held and then drop down slightly and the cutscene starts playing. Also the environment can interfere too. Keqing punted a cat in Liyue once that happened to walk into her frame of animation during the Lantern Rite quest, and I've definitely been launched by an overload reaction during a cutscene before or just other strange things happen because it all happens in engine and an enemy mob will walk in the background during a cutscene that has nothing to do with them and break the tone or something like that.

Basically the way they seem to have coded cutscenes and seemingly preloaded animations for all the assets being used in it I don't think it's even possible for them to add a QOL text skipping option into the mix unless they completely change how the game does it's cutscene and dialogue text playbacks down the road.

Kale fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 9, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

Okay for anybody that's actually managed to get "This Novel Seems... Problematic?" to spawn what is it exactly they did in "Is This Novel Is Amazing" because this is the 3rd or 4th time I've tried to go that route for achievements and to eventually get that last world quest in Inazuma and it just respawns "Is This Novel Amazing" again. Clearly there's some specific bit of info being left out on the greater internet that you're supposed to do to actually unlock the next part because each time I've agreed with Junkichi it's never spawned the quest after in the series, but every time I've agreed with Shigeru it's gone on to the part where you have to get the three novels and give him the Literature Club one first apparently to get the Storytelling Method world quest if you've done This Novel Seems... Problematic? as well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hyper Inferno posted:

The new Sumeru characters:

Just so I can find this easier in the future.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

YoshiOfYellow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WOsMWBCxno

I love that this dude has made an entire youtube presence off of bullying Childe.

Also Fischl is Rad.

I have my C6 Fischl and haven’t used her since she was probably C3. Wonder how long it took him to get her to that point

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

My favorite unvoiced cutscene moment was on a stormy island in Inazuma. Lumine got struck by lightning about halfway through, which knocked her off the edge of the cliff she was standing next to, which resulted in enough fall damage that she died. Except it was during a cutscene when everything was locked. So Paimon and Lumine were talking to this guy, and then suddenly there was a loud explosion and Lumine was gone leaving nothing but a scorchmark in the grass. But Paimon and the quest giver just kept chit-chatting away like the Traveler hadn't just spontaneously combusted.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I have my C6 Fischl and haven’t used her since she was probably C3. Wonder how long it took him to get her to that point

The limited 4* bow he's using is also putting in a lot of work, as it gives 50% more phys dmg and buffs her normal atk dmg by 40%. The trade off is that this build tanks Oz damage, so unless you intend to run her as your on field dps your better off with stringless.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

The most impressive part of this is the refinements on that bow. It hasn't come up very often.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Everett False posted:

My favorite unvoiced cutscene moment was on a stormy island in Inazuma. Lumine got struck by lightning about halfway through, which knocked her off the edge of the cliff she was standing next to, which resulted in enough fall damage that she died. Except it was during a cutscene when everything was locked. So Paimon and Lumine were talking to this guy, and then suddenly there was a loud explosion and Lumine was gone leaving nothing but a scorchmark in the grass. But Paimon and the quest giver just kept chit-chatting away like the Traveler hadn't just spontaneously combusted.

Something similar happened to me, only instead of falling off a cliff, I just kept getting struck by lightning because I was in the Tatarigami or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I've been getting back into fischl

her ER% is a toilet but who loving cares with those crits/ATK