Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Was Annie finally charging up supposed to be a joke with how little it ended up doing? Her powers really get no respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Crespolini posted:

Was Annie finally charging up supposed to be a joke with how little it ended up doing? Her powers really get no respect.

here is how I read it - she didn't know she had the power to do that and now she does. she doesn't know how to wield it well and she's never done it before, so when it came out for the first time, it was unrefined and weak

when she channels her powers at the end of next season to turn VP Neumann into ash, its going to rule

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
hughie, crank up the sun

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Aye Doc posted:

here is how I read it - she didn't know she had the power to do that and now she does. she doesn't know how to wield it well and she's never done it before, so when it came out for the first time, it was unrefined and weak

when she channels her powers at the end of next season to turn VP Neumann into ash, its going to rule

Well, I won't hold my breath. But I do think Annie could own Neumann by simply blinding her. Good luck popping heads then, dumbass.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Girls Get It Done. when Annie incinerates Neumann next year, remember these shitposts. remember well

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Annie flies into the sun and comes out with Galactus levels of power.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Spoiler
Was anyone else expecting Ryan to have his own little Homelander costume at the end? Lol

Spoiler over

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Someone compared Annie’s Super Attack to when you gently caress up a button press combo for a limit break and the cinematic still fires but it doesn’t do poo poo.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

PostNouveau posted:

lol sucks for Aya Cash.

"Yeah our guest star for the season was just sooooooooooo loving good that we had to rewrite some stuff so we could keep him around. You really don't want to lose and awesome talent like that!"

*Stormfront kills herself offscreen*

You do have to wonder about that, but Season 2 feels like it was conceived as a workable final season if the show failed to catch on after Season 1, and how they resolved the threat of Stormfront mostly reflects that. Short of a surprise regen ability there really wasn't much left to do with her.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

That DICK! posted:

Someone compared Annie’s Super Attack to when you gently caress up a button press combo for a limit break and the cinematic still fires but it doesn’t do poo poo.

lol

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Sorry for another bad TV watcher question but does Ryan know that's he's the product of rape? He's seen Homelander mistreat Becca but it seemed a little too easy for him to just throw his lot in and be comfortable with the whole doting father and son routine.

Also can't imagine the show doesn't end with Ryan dead or depowered. Abundantly clear at this point that you can't have supes running around at all, leads to too many problems.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Spoiler
Was anyone else expecting Ryan to have his own little Homelander costume at the end? Lol

Spoiler over

Yeah that bit was surprising. Maybe wardrobe couldn't get something fitted in time.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Spoiler

Spoiler over

I was. And a cheesy little name like Son-Lander or something.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

Also can't imagine the show doesn't end with Ryan dead or depowered. Abundantly clear at this point that you can't have supes running around at all, leads to too many problems.

oh he is so fuckin dead. Butcher is going to have to kill Ryan to keep him from going supernova on the world after they kill his daddy

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Aye Doc posted:

She’s used that power before, just with a lot less electricity powering it

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Those punches thrown between maeve and homelander were really loving good,gigantic improvement over season 1’s terrible training montage.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I thought the Maeve-Homelander fight was pretty good. I don't want them to have a dragonball z fight or whatever, a good ol' trash-the-room fistfight is fun.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Nail Rat posted:

Nobody cares about the guards tasked with protecting the bio weapons lab though apparently lol

They fired first.

It’s subtle, but Kimmy’s need to stab people repeatedly and enjoy killing got Frenchy loving shot.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Mat Cauthon posted:

Abundantly clear at this point that you can't have supes running around at all, leads to too many problems.

This is Butcher's solution to supes, and the show just spent a whole season saying that it's wrong.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I liked the irony of homelander supporters who believed starlight was trafficking kids just completely ignore the seeming fact that homelander’s literally grooming a child in secret. No one in that crowd questioned where his son was for the past decade or where his mother is.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If they are sticking to that 5 season plan then killing Ryan at the end of Season 4 sets up a final season that's all nothing held back and scortched earth. The bridge between each season has been Ryan and his place between the characters.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i have to leave in a bit so i can't put down all my thoughts for the finale (which i have a LOT of, btw), but can i just say what a goddamned disappointment it was that homelander didn't get depowered? that was the one thing i was 100% positive was gonna happen this season. i mean, why give SB that additional power in the first place if it wasn't going to happen. yes, yes i know he did get to use it on kimiko and maeve but still, that's only two supes that got it in the whole season. seeing a depowered HLer was the main thing i was looking forward to next season, and they blew it. :mad:

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Bad finale, great season.

Really weird show now where individual episodes are masterpieces but the overall season arc(s) feel weak.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dell_Zincht posted:

I enjoyed the finale, glad Maeve got out alive (and I like that she was willing to sacrifice herself in order to kill SB) but honestly A-Train's character arc is a mess, at least The Deep actually did something to further the plot.

I hope that A-Train and The Deep actually have something meaningful to do next season, but I really doubt it.

A-Train should've died in Herogasm :colbert:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Mr Interweb posted:

i have to leave in a bit so i can't put down all my thoughts for the finale (which i have a LOT of, btw), but can i just say what a goddamned disappointment it was that homelander didn't get depowered? that was the one thing i was 100% positive was gonna happen this season. i mean, why give SB that additional power in the first place if it wasn't going to happen. yes, yes i know he did get to use it on kimiko and maeve but still, that's only two supes that got it in the whole season. seeing a depowered HLer was the main thing i was looking forward to next season, and they blew it. :mad:

If the plan was going to work, it wouldn't have been agreed upon so early into the season.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Mr Interweb posted:

????? TVIV is dumb

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Alchenar posted:

If they are sticking to that 5 season plan then killing Ryan at the end of Season 4 sets up a final season that's all nothing held back and scortched earth. The bridge between each season has been Ryan and his place between the characters.

woof, i hope 4 is the last, wrap it the gently caress up.

Lady Radia posted:

????? TVIV is dumb

eh i get, homelander has run its course. the Office only needs so much Andy.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

That DICK! posted:

noir isnt really going to count against it being a reset because there's nooooo way they don't put some pepe the frog zoomer creep under the mask and insist its the real noir. he didn't even get a news memorial thing, so either he's alive [very unlikely] or they're already making the moves to have someone else take the mask.

Homelander: "Say, A-Train, you're black..."

PostNouveau posted:

I thought the Maeve-Homelander fight was pretty good. I don't want them to have a dragonball z fight or whatever, a good ol' trash-the-room fistfight is fun.

Agreed. Budgetary constraints notwithstanding, I think there's only so much you can do with a fight between two super strong people. It eventually devolves into who can punch who into the biggest mountain. It's one thing seeing superpowers juxtaposed against normality or a contest between different power sets, but watching two people punch each other one hundred feet gets stale.

It would have been cool to see more destruction around them. I could buy that if you're super strong and brace for a punch from another super strong being, it won't send you flying - but it would probably crack the floor under you. Touches like that could have more visibly translated the power quotient involved.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

SpaceCommie posted:

This is Butcher's solution to supes, and the show just spent a whole season saying that it's wrong.

The show says Butcher's approach is wrong in that it encourages a zero sum view where everyone and anyone is expendable in service of the goal, and also creates more damage both literal (superhero fights) and figurative (hollows out the humanity of the good guys).

The solution of "no one should have that kind of power" is still the correct one and the one that was espoused by the moral center of the protagonists, MM. Everything in the show is about superpowers as the shortcut people take to solving various problems and why that can never work.

Speaking of, there's no way Deep didn't get caught on camera committing treason and it's going to be so good when A-Train or Homelander sell him out next season. Idiot should've just sent an alligator in or something.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 8, 2022

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

NutritiousSnack posted:

Bad finale, great season.

Really weird show now where individual episodes are masterpieces but the overall season arc(s) feel weak.

this season introduced an insanely fun captain america stand-in as the perfect foil for the superman stand-in. the two main characters now have a magic potion that gives them superpowers, too! titans gather!

but then all that leads to an essential back-to-start with a few bits and pieces moved around that i'm not really that interested in. neumann is going to be VP and the boys will come after her but will be thwarted. the boys grow more radical but in a big ol role reversal are countered by a dying butcher who suddenly appreciates the importance of Life. ryan and neumann's superpowered daughter [remember her?!] will have an awkward teen romance and bully the boys for an episode or two. this will admittedly probably be pretty funny and good.

even if i'm wrong on all the above you know there's gotta be those scenes that re-establish the threat of homelander and neumann, showing starlight and the team struggling to readjust to each others methods, how ashley feels conflicted as CEO of vought. they hit the brakes so hard when i don't feel they really needed to.

PostNouveau posted:

I agree this was the highlight of the finale but like everything else it had no room to breathe. There was something really interesting there with the "maybe Homelander's not as tough as we all thought he was" as 1v1 Maeve pretty soundly stands her ground, but she's shown training throughout the season specifically to kill him and he's insanely distracted which throws the whole drat thing into vague internet argument territory.

That DICK! fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 8, 2022

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope that A-Train and The Deep actually have something meaningful to do next season, but I really doubt it.

A-Train should've died in Herogasm :colbert:

a-train is going to spend next season finally being a good person with good intentions, and all it took was to get the heart of a murderous racist put inside of him. can't believe you folks wanted him to just die like nothing

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Aye Doc posted:

a-train is going to spend next season finally being a good person with good intentions, and all it took was to get the heart of a murderous racist put inside of him. can't believe you folks wanted him to just die like nothing

He's gonna go back to his Season 1 lifestyle. He'll just feel worse about it now than he did then.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

That DICK! posted:

I agree this was the highlight of the finale but like everything else it had no room to breathe. There was something really interesting there with the "maybe Homelander's not as tough as we all thought he was" as 1v1 Maeve pretty soundly stands her ground, but she's shown training throughout the season specifically to kill him and he's insanely distracted which throws the whole drat thing into vague internet argument territory.

He also spent the whole fight going "hey stop, I mean it" which allows them to say he just didn't want to kill her.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

So Homelander went in the middle of Fifth Avenue Vought Square and killed somebody and will not lose any voters, or was that just a coincidence?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Narcissus1916 posted:

Homelander is the first superhero-aligned satire of Trump that I think works.

It doesn't but it comes close; part of that has to do with the hold over Bush poo poo creating a mixed metaphor, but just that Trump egotism comes from being rich piece of poo poo that could easily be pummeled by the average goon because he's an elderly fat blob in a fist fight and having no knowledge or intellect outside of managing a real estate business (and doing that...not so well, but the same can be said of most CEOs). Homelander is not only super strong/fast, but conventionally attractive and up to this point (unlike say Trump) had the self control and chops to be a normal, beloved mainstream celebrity.

He's more of a Pete Buttigege or Obama, or a Tom Cruise vibe wise (ironically Patrick Bateman than). Stan Edgar would be more than Trump: yeah a smart businessman, because you kinda have to make that narrative conceit even if it isn't true in real life. But the average CEO would be a serial killer if they weren't successful and he's under the constant reminder next to a Homelander that he could die by tripping down the stairs and while Homelander is going to break a bus if it runs into him. It'd be more him who goes more and more unhinged by being next to his internalized hope of being an amoral demigod.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think Butcher is going to become more radical, Homelander will actually kind of reign it in a little bit. Like he'll keep feeding the fascists but otherwise he's going to focus on Ryan probably and Stand Edgar will avenge his brother Translucent

Pedricko
Apr 7, 2008
What was Hughie holding as he's coming out of the bathroom? Or am I bad at TV and it's explained later?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Pedricko posted:

What was Hughie holding as he's coming out of the bathroom? Or am I bad at TV and it's explained later?

I think it was the bathroom key. Sometimes reststops will have the key chained to like a brick or something and I think in this case it was just chained to like a wheel rim

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It was the bathroom key.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

That DICK! posted:

does anybody have a recommendation for some free/ cheap video editing software? I have an incredibly stupid idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Da Vinci Resolve? That's what I use for all my awful videos. My videos are awful though