Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Koburn posted:

I remember reading this for the first time many years ago on these forums and it made me a lifelong fan. I want to post my fave Junji Ito short, Layers of Fear which as far as I know hasn't been printed in any of the new Viz collections yet.
Right to left.

oh yeah i do remember reading this some years back. new readers should pay attention that there's a timeskip between the excavation and the car ride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Stand Still. Stay Silent

???

?????

???????

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1545112012237201408

happy for dana simpson, if she's attached to the project

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Saddest Rhino posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1545112012237201408

happy for dana simpson, if she's attached to the project

I mean, I guess you could stretch it out?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
A Bride’s Story: end of volume 2.

99% embroidery, 1% the Anglo-Russian relations are about to start posting in the E/N break-up thread.

It’s a short chapter as the remainder of the pages in the volume are author afterwords about surveys and what not.

Next up: volume 3 and sheep!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
been dreaming about prison lately. here's some hell was full

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
:nws:https://randomwaffle.gbs.fm/images/cc/ccaf1427b4fd4e2d33e05ab4660425e0f7672c16.png:nws:

found in waffleimages

e: here's one you won't get fired for probably:

BasicLich has a new favorite as of 06:41 on Jul 8, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man legacy newspaper comics are weird nowadays

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Regy Rusty posted:

Lyndon's terrible magic system :allears:

To be fair, if you got only one spell and it can't be an offensive one, force fields seem pretty useful.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

What's weird for me is that so far I think I overall prefer Hitmen's art, despite it being a lot rougher and uglier. Maybe because it's rougher and uglier, I dunno. The new art is good and much better and more consistent for sure but Hitmen's hydrocephalic homunculi have a certain charm

Nah, I getcha. There's a caricature-esque character to the Hitmen for Destiny style, Trixie Slaughteraxe is technically smoother but a bit less interesting.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Today's hyperlink is a bit of education about the Pope's hat!

find out nine breakfasts

You have to be willing to throw it all away for a Bauhaus reference.

N.B. I will not be posting the blogs along with Achewood, as there is a ludicrous amount of blog posts. For example, 27 blog posts were made on the day the second comic was posted.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

I mean, I guess you could stretch it out?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President

Hempuli posted:

Headlings
Pacifist Magic
Enchanted forest
Ready to go on?

An offer

Way cooler

Glass balls

Statue

Deaths: 1

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Jul 17, 2022

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

the glass balls hold a lot of hitmen for destiny references, and it rules

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

coolusername posted:

A Bride’s Story: end of volume 2.

It’s a short chapter as the remainder of the pages in the volume are author afterwords about surveys and what not.

Next up: volume 3 and sheep!
Posting a Kaoru Mori manga and omitting the author commentary comics is a crime.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Told ya about the force fields!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Kit Walker posted:

Stand Still. Stay Silent

???

drat, whoever left those tracks must have a huge dick

You know who doesn't? Rice Boy, probably

I am, against my will, developing respect for Gerund

flavor.flv has a new favorite as of 15:32 on Jul 8, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Rice Boy is terrific.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl posted:

Has Audio, just music.

Steppe Into The Ring E01-U16
https://bobapearlessence.com/Steppe/u020anim.mp4

Steppe Into The Ring E01-U17

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Squidster posted:

Qualia the Purple
Episode 10: 1 of 30

Qualia the Purple
Episode 10: 2-13 of 30

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Concerned: The Half-Life and Death of Gordon Frohman

Model 7, the model I use for Frohman, comes with four outfits: citizen, refugee (sort of a dirtier, more ragged citizen), rebel, and medic, so I've now used them all. In fact, I've been waiting for ages for the chance to get him into this medic gear. I think it's the most dashing(dead link) of his looks, personally.

If Concerned were more of a topical gaming comic, Frohman would probably be getting a visit from a lawyer representing the Canadian Red Cross(dead link) right about now.

While I was putting this comic together, my wife came over and asked if I could have Frohman say "Eep" at some point. So, what did I do? I made him say "Eep" RIGHT IN THE VERY PANEL I WAS WORKING ON WHEN SHE ASKED. Now, that's service! Not all husbands will do that kinda thing.

Finally installed and started playing F.E.A.R. this weekend (I got the game way back in December). I'm not gonna launch into a full review since it's been out for a while, but it's a really neat game. The gunfights are a LOT of fun. The AI isn't quite as good as I was led to believe, but it never is, really. And, for a game that relies on two pretty stale elements -- the spooky little girl for scares and the Matrix-slow-mo gunplay -- it's both scary and entertaining. Why the hell are little girls so goddamn creepy, anyway?

Biggest problem so far is that it's really, really repetetive. You walk around, you have terrifying visions, you have a dynamic slow-motion gunfight with several opponents during which you shred their pinwheeling bodies with lead and shrapnel in an almost balletic display of carnage... then you do it again. What I'm trying to say is, the repetition doesn't really hurt the game a whole lot, since the stuff you're doing again and again is so much fun. But, really, any deviation from creeping through hallways, getting in gunfights, and getting the poo poo scared out of you by a little girl would have been welcome.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Donnie Darko, right up until the ending which totally sucked -- sucked so much that it went back in time and made the rest of the movie suck. And, what I just described, the ending of the movie going back in time to make the entire movie suck, is actually a better idea than the actual ending of the movie. What suckage that was.

I like time travel, though, and I try to see most time travel movies that come out (I came very close to going to see The Lake House before deciding it didn't count), and try to read a lot of time travel books. If you like time travel, try reading "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger and "The Anubis Gate" by Tim Powers. Those are my favorites because they're extremely well-crafted and handle the paradoxes quite well.

Also, John Swartzwelder, one of the writers of The Simpsons, wrote a book called "The Time Machine Did It". This book is to be avoided at all costs, as not only is it the worst time travel book ever written, it is perhaps the worst book ever written. Seriously. I threw it away when I was done with it, and I've never done that to a book before.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i tried reading that swartzwelder book based on goon recs some time ago. didnt work for me either, it was very sloppy -- which tbf is intentional and fits the main character -- but still it felt too much like a first draft.

e: for completion's sake, time traveler's wife is a grooming ouroboros. havent read anubis gate and im too old for donnie darko

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 18:19 on Jul 8, 2022

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Boba Pearl posted:

I think this is the first one I've just casually read top to bottom, never confused about who is who, what is what or what is going on between panels. Color work seems improved as well. Loving the pastels. Good going.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Flipperwaldt posted:

I think this is the first one I've just casually read top to bottom, never confused about who is who, what is what or what is going on between panels. Color work seems improved as well. Loving the pastels. Good going.

I think it's because there's more separation between the values of the foreground/background. Because the line weights don't vary, it's often quite hard when everything's at the same saturation and contrast.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I think it's because there's more separation between the values of the foreground/background. Because the line weights don't vary, it's often quite hard when everything's at the same saturation and contrast.
I think it's in the camera work so to speak as well. And enough background detail to tie things together from shot to shot.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Works as the good first page for a story too. It's readable without backstory, but there's also enough that you can fill in enough to be interestingintriguing (which is better)

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Love Frohman's line in the fourth panel.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Apocalypse Johto—Battlefield Kanto Part 4: Silver Standard
Chapter 34: Power Surge

"Bitch, I'm a bouquet." might be the best line in the entire comic.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Layers of Fear - Part 2
right to left

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I actually took the time to consider what that traffic sign would do to her before I checked the next page and:stonklol:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I can't wait for the next update. I've always wanted to read ito but have never read any besides amigara

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:gonk:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Koburn posted:

Layers of Fear - Part 2
right to left

Lol, I was just thinking how I like Junji Ito comics more when they're going for unsettling rather than gross, and welp

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

This got a real world laugh out of me

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

junji ito is like that scene from mulholland drive where patrick fischler tells about his scary dream

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

junji ito is like that scene from mulholland drive where patrick fischler tells about his scary dream

Except Junji Ito is actually good.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

rydiafan posted:

Except Junji Ito is actually good.

im not talking about objective observable ~quality~ you dolt. its the dream logic, the building dread, the absurd premise

i used to have a dream where i was led into a room and strapped to a chair, which was at the end of a dial on a giant clock that laid on its back. every tick i would slowly move around the face of the clock, facing outwards. in the darkness outside the clockface were "monsters" that i never saw, i just knew that if i was at the same spot too long, they would get me. so i sat and waited and got more scared and prayed until the next tick, and it was a huge relief every time, but then the cycle started again and they got closer again. i spent several years like this.

its completely irrational, but there you go

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Carthag Tuek posted:

i tried reading that swartzwelder book based on goon recs some time ago. didnt work for me either, it was very sloppy -- which tbf is intentional and fits the main character -- but still it felt too much like a first draft.

e: for completion's sake, time traveler's wife is a grooming ouroboros. havent read anubis gate and im too old for donnie darko

Same. I got The Time Machine did it for Christmas and I just cannot get through it. Yeah, what if Homer Simpson was a PI sounds like a funny premise. But with an entire book narrated from his POV, and you have to hear every stupid thought going through his head - awful.

Boba Pearl posted:

This is the most clear page you've posted here in a while. I can tell who, what and where. It works pretty well.

I've always liked your world(s) that you are building, though they are confusing as all hell. You have some neat ideas.

If you are happy making this, keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy