Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
hello ca, after not riding a bike since the day i sold my tuono and r6 my friend dropped this off to me today to sell for him since he is moving and doesn't have time to deal with it

It is a 2020 Street Triple RS with 343 miles on it. What is the bike market looking like these days? Basically looking for a reasonable expected price out of it without sitting on it for months.

Yes, the urge to ride it is real but I already know what'll happen if I ride it. (I'll buy it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I would expect to see a bike like that listed on Facebook Marketplace for $200 less than MSRP.

No idea if they actually sell at those prices but that's what everything gets listed at.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

FBS posted:

I would expect to see a bike like that listed on Facebook Marketplace for $200 less than MSRP.

No idea if they actually sell at those prices but that's what everything gets listed at.

Or $2000 over because they got taken for a ride on an extended warranty and are underwater on the loan at 29%.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

FBS posted:

opengl128 posted:

Or $2000 over because they got taken for a ride on an extended warranty and are underwater on the loan at 29%.

Goddamn, this is actually mirroring what I am seeing on the local CL. I'll probably list it for $10k and hope it sells quick.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I posted in the what bike to buy thread about the levers on my Z400, as the PO had switched the stock ones out for shortys without the balls on the end. I hate them, so was wondering whether to swap them out for stock levers or get some decent adjustables?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Get the stock ones.

If the stock ones feel bad (they shouldn't) then seek aftermarket stuff.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

Get the stock ones.

Yep.

Aftermarket levers come in two flavors: total garbage and massively overpriced.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I need to replace a flat on my dads fat tire mtn ebike. Very fat tires. The tube says 26x4.0/4.9, and under that, 100/120-559.

On amazon they have tubes that say 26x4.0, and 26x4.8/5.0, as well as 26x4.0/4.9. Will all three work, or only the last one, same exact as mine? I ask because of the varying prices, and some include tire levers which I probably need.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

I need to replace a flat on my dads fat tire mtn ebike. Very fat tires. The tube says 26x4.0/4.9, and under that, 100/120-559.

On amazon they have tubes that say 26x4.0, and 26x4.8/5.0, as well as 26x4.0/4.9. Will all three work, or only the last one, same exact as mine? I ask because of the varying prices, and some include tire levers which I probably need.

Don't look at the tube size, look at the size of the tire. Likely all those will work, but you don't want to be stuffing too much tube into too little tire as the tube can make little folds and rub a whole in itself. It's better to be slightly undersized. Also a tube with a sealant can be a good idea to help prevent flats from small holes.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

ChocNitty posted:

you got an answer but for future reference pedal bikes have a thread in TGO - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933899

CA is motorcycles/scooters/etc

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

Hiss, boo

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
How do you guys store your motorcycle pants? I want to let them air out after a sweaty ride, so far I just lay them out somewhere, but that's really taking up a lot of space and I still have to store them somewhere afterwards. Considering how often I use them, putting them on a clotheshanger feels really cumbersome. Is there some neat solution for this?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I just hang them up with clotheshanger as with the jacket. Most pants have a belt loop or something that can be thread over the hanger hook itself.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Hang mine off the bookcase with my jacket.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Supradog posted:

I just hang them up with clotheshanger as with the jacket. Most pants have a belt loop or something that can be thread over the hanger hook itself.

Actually I just realized there are these two loops that seem to be made for the purpose of hanging them onto clothes hangers. I just never paid much attention to them before, they just seemed frail and useless. But yeah, that actually seems like the best way forward, I can just put them in the dresser like this I guess. Thanks. Obvious in hindsight.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Steakandchips posted:

Get the stock ones.

If the stock ones feel bad (they shouldn't) then seek aftermarket stuff.

Slavvy posted:

Yep.

Thanks both, stock ones it is. Looking at the parts catalogue am I correct in thinking it's just the levers I need, the springs, bolts etc should all be present and correct already?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Sometimes you hit the jackpot and it's both!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lungboy posted:

Thanks both, stock ones it is. Looking at the parts catalogue am I correct in thinking it's just the levers I need, the springs, bolts etc should all be present and correct already?

:shrug: the bolts are probably the original ones, who knows about everything else. Just look at the diagram and look at what's on the bike and use your judgment, it's pretty hard to gently caress this up.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

:shrug: the bolts are probably the original ones, who knows about everything else. Just look at the diagram and look at what's on the bike and use your judgment, it's pretty hard to gently caress this up.

I found a way, I didn't grease my pivot points when I put my new levers on and my clutch lever was all stictiony

Grease ya goddamn pivot points

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

How do you guys store your motorcycle pants?

I have a small motorcycle-clothes-only walk in wardrobe in my study.

SEKCobra posted:

I want to let them air out after a sweaty ride, so far I just lay them out somewhere, but that's really taking up a lot of space and I still have to store them somewhere afterwards. Considering how often I use them, putting them on a clotheshanger feels really cumbersome. Is there some neat solution for this?

Get a clothes horse/rack and hang them on there to air out. Or throw them on the back of a chair. Or hang them on the washing line outside (or if you have an indoor one, indoors). Or wear motorcycle jeans and wash each pair of jeans once a week.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Slavvy posted:

Instructions not clear, hand levers are now foot pegs and my foot pegs are on my handlebars with my seat replaced with the shifter lever. I know shift by pulling in the right foot peg and twerk my rear end to shift gears

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Steakandchips posted:

I have a small motorcycle-clothes-only walk in wardrobe in my study.

Get a clothes horse/rack and hang them on there to air out. Or throw them on the back of a chair. Or hang them on the washing line outside (or if you have an indoor one, indoors). Or wear motorcycle jeans and wash each pair of jeans once a week.

Multiple harleys yet I see no tassels :thunk:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Instructions not clear, hand levers are now foot pegs and my foot pegs are on my handlebars with my seat replaced with the shifter lever. I know shift by pulling in the right foot peg and twerk my rear end to shift gears

Sounds like you've got a 69 fatboy with a suicide twerker, I don't see the problem.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Further exhaust q: the balance pipe has this kind of join, with a screw type hose clamp to go over it:

I assume it needs some kind of gasket in there to seal it properly, but how do I select what type and size? There doesn't seem to be a lot of clearance, and I know from taking it apart that the stock exhaust had a really thick band of either graphite or some kind of soft metal joining the two sides.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The original exhaust probably had a graphite seal in it. If this one leaks, you can spec a seal by ID/OD assuming you can find a vendor - Google pulled this place up: https://tikkosracing.com/product/graphite-exhaust-seals-for-motorcycle-exhaust-muffler/

Failing that, Permatex makes an exhaust sealant putty that works up to 2000F - it's sold on Amazon here in the US but when I checked the UK site it just pulled up an entry with off-Amazon buying options:

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-Muffler-Tailpipe-Sealer-3-Pack/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Exhaust putty is for subhumans (car mechanics), please don't use it on a motorbike, thank you.

If you can't find the right diameter graphite sleeve, you can get some thick metallic exhaust gasket material, cut a strip and roll it into a sleeve shape.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
What actually happens if you over-torque an axle nut? (other than stripped threads) (for argument's sake this is on an sv650, but is there a general answer?) (I was adjusting the chain tension on my bike and good GOD it's so much easier with an impact driver, but now I'm worried I rattle-brapped the nut back on at 100 ftlbs instead of 80 or whatever)

Also, Slavvy, just get a drill press, they're like 100 dollars NEW, find an estate sale and loot a corpse for one, you drill metal all day every day, you're like the theoretical platonic ideal of the person who needs a drill press.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mirconium posted:

What actually happens if you over-torque an axle nut? (other than stripped threads) (for argument's sake this is on an sv650, but is there a general answer?) (I was adjusting the chain tension on my bike and good GOD it's so much easier with an impact driver, but now I'm worried I rattle-brapped the nut back on at 100 ftlbs instead of 80 or whatever)

Also, Slavvy, just get a drill press, they're like 100 dollars NEW, find an estate sale and loot a corpse for one, you drill metal all day every day, you're like the theoretical platonic ideal of the person who needs a drill press.

No idea where drill press talk came from but yeah if you know a corpse I can rob I'm down!

I don't think it's possible to over torque the axle enough to affect anything without first munting the threads tbh. On very cheap poo poo bikes you can kind of stove in the swingarm a bit cause the internal spacer isn't quite big enough but that's about it.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Slavvy posted:

No idea where drill press talk came from but yeah if you know a corpse I can rob I'm down!

I don't think it's possible to over torque the axle enough to affect anything without first munting the threads tbh. On very cheap poo poo bikes you can kind of stove in the swingarm a bit cause the internal spacer isn't quite big enough but that's about it.

lol, it's from last page, I caught up on the thread before posting

Do motorcycles use paired tapered roller bearings on their wheels, or just a ginormous deep groove rollerball or something? I imagine you could preload the wheel bearings wrong if they're paired and you really went ham on an axle.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jul 8, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Modern bikes pretty much all use omnidirectional ball bearings with a spacer between the two inner races, when you tighten the axle you can't really affect the bearings much, idk if you could compress the spacer enough to do it.

Ye olden boiks have all sorts of crazy things I'm not qualified to comment on but preloaded bicycle style bearings are definitely a thing there. Iirc on old bmw's they can literally last forever because the bike can't exert enough load to ever put mechanical wear on the parts, servicing notwithstanding.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Being a bike mechanic before the invention of the UJM must have been a wild ride. What are you going to see today? Bicycle bearings? A double wishbone on the front? Front wheel drive?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How did bmw go from indestructible bearings to using m&m’s in the wheel bearings on their later bikes

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
"We need to make more money, any suggestions?"

Same reason Loncin makes all their new straight twins.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 8, 2022

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

They realized dentists have deep pockets.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
This is so annoying as a life tooler, when you just want that perfect thing that someone over engineered to last multiple millennia, but everything available today is just engineered to fail ASAP. Like, I'd pay you 10x what a cheap tool costs as long as I get that really thought out thing I can keep forever rather than a piece of poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

This is so annoying as a life tooler, when you just want that perfect thing that someone over engineered to last multiple millennia, but everything available today is just engineered to fail ASAP. Like, I'd pay you 10x what a cheap tool costs as long as I get that really thought out thing I can keep forever rather than a piece of poo poo.

This is why Honda exist, get a 90's one while you can if you want a sample of literally the most well built bikes ever.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

How are the Thai made Hondas holding up so far? Some of them seem pretty nice. The flagship models are still made in Japan I think

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

This is why Honda exist, get a 90's one while you can if you want a sample of literally the most well built bikes ever.

F3 in this livery:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My 90s Honda is a 2015 model

Every bike should have a center stand

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

How are the Thai made Hondas holding up so far? Some of them seem pretty nice. The flagship models are still made in Japan I think

Mine is Thai and no real problems so far (3 years). It seems to burn oil but apparently a common issue. I just top it off every once in a while. :shrug: