Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1545466601985740801?t=y-VZnmexmgaxMco8N8i5gw&s=19

Pleasure doin' business with ya'. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

fawning deference posted:

Is it impossible that DeAngelo has been changing for the better and stopped his bullshit? I don't remember any controversy at all last season. I'm not sure a 24 year old should be written off as "bad person until the end of time who should never play the league again."

Also, this is a genuine question out of ignorance: what has he done that we know was racist in the NHL? People tried to say there was racism with Miller and everyone involved basically said he's a dickhead but the racism rumors are totally unfounded.

not impossible I suppose but extremely unlikely as he has never faced any real consequences for his prior actions and if anything has been rewarded by his continued employment in the NHL and having these piece of poo poo old boys club members line up to go to bat for him at every turn.

I dunno, his dad has done interviews where he talks about how in his household everyone uses slurs all the time and that's just the way that he grew up and that's the way it's going to be while he's around. If DeAngelo wanted to work on improving himself he could estrange himself from his horrible racist family.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Marklar posted:

Different crowd. He's going to have such a large following of people in South Philly and South Jersey. Place is racist as hell.

as a burlington county native, yeah it can absolutely be terrible, but I'm going to stand firm in my disgust, regardless

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

This somehow topped the time CBJ fleeced Chicago with the Panarin/Saad trade

Chicago losing all 3 times they traded Brandon Saad rules though

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

This is adorable.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I love Barry Trotz for obvious reasons but I still think Boudreau is my favorite Capitals coach in their history.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Deangelo has some pretty big hissy fits on the ice this year against Boston and NY. So that part hasn't changed at all.

I also don't believe racist people change their stripes so my guess is he just stopped saying the quiet part out loud so he can make millions of dollars.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It is remarkable how bad Bowman was. Looking back, the core was put together by Tallon and while Stan did a decent job at times with the cap, he bungled so much poo poo over the years and has put the Blackhawks in a position where they are at least 5 years away from being competitive again.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Is it impossible that DeAngelo has been changing for the better and stopped his bullshit? I don't remember any controversy at all last season. I'm not sure a 24 year old should be written off as "bad person until the end of time who should never play the league again."

Also, this is a genuine question out of ignorance: what has he done that we know was racist in the NHL? People tried to say there was racism with Miller and everyone involved basically said he's a dickhead but the racism rumors are totally unfounded.

He got into a fight with his teammate just over a year ago. He loudly downplayed COVID two years ago. He is somehow one of the loudest Trump supporters in a league full of them. It’s not just the nasty poo poo he said in 2014 that got his suspended for 8 games...this behavior is all relatively fresh. One season of not being the biggest rear end in a top hat in the league doesn’t mean he has changed. And I’m not saying people never change, but what incentive has there been for him to do so? More multi-million dollar contracts?

And yes, nothing about his on ice behavior screams- “I’m a changed man”.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
So why did NJ pass on Wright exactly? They don't need a center because they have Jesper Boqvist and Michael McLeod?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Spelling Mitsake posted:

So why did NJ pass on Wright exactly? They don't need a center because they have Jesper Boqvist and Michael McLeod?

Maybe they just liked Nemec better? It's not like Wright even went 3....

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/OVECHKlN/status/1545422675912310786

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

torts and deangelo after one preseason of hockey

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Torts leaned hard into that defensive shot blocking stuff with the Rangers because the Rangers didn't have the high end talent to be much more than a defensive minded team

In theory he likes to play a little more offensively oriented game than that...but he also demands a ton out of his players in terms of being responsible and not making stupid mistakes

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Niwrad posted:

It is remarkable how bad Bowman was. Looking back, the core was put together by Tallon and while Stan did a decent job at times with the cap, he bungled so much poo poo over the years and has put the Blackhawks in a position where they are at least 5 years away from being competitive again.

Several key players of their cup run were drafted by Mike Smith, too (Keith, Seabrook, Crawford,, Byfuglien). I always felt cap management was one of his weaknesses. He loved NMCs, and he pretty much handed out the twin 10.5 million dollar contracts to Toews/Kane without any negotiation. He then gave Seabrook that terrible extension after the Hawks won the 2015 cup, which soon forced them to trade away their decent up and coming players. When he finally got cap space again, he made the Seth Jones trade.

He made a few shrewd moves during the cup run to buttress the core his predecessors assembled (Oduya, Richards, Vermette). But in hindsight, I think his greatest strength was ingratiating himself with ownership to the point that he was promoted to Team President as the team repeatedly missed the playoffs and as he continued to cover up sexual abuse.

Niwrad posted:

How did the Blackhawks not get more for Debrincat? Were people overrating his value?

If I had to guess, I get the feeling other GMs realized Davidson was determined to trade DeBrincat for a top 10 pick no matter what and tailored their offers accordingly. I also imagine that other teams may have been hesitant to offer much more than what Senators gave, since there is no guarantee that DeBrincat is going to sign an extension. Hawks beat reporters also think that Davidson wants to ensure the team is as bad as possible next season, asset management be damned. It would also explain why they aren't even trying to qualify Strome and Kubalik.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Spelling Mitsake posted:

There are these other two centers they have

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Niwrad posted:

Is it impossible that Bowman has been changing for the better and stopped his bullshit? I don't remember any controversy at all last season. I'm not sure a 49 year old should be written off as "bad person until the end of time who should never manage in the league again."

Also, this is a genuine question out of ignorance: what has he done that we know was a cover-up of horrific sex crimes in the NHL? People tried to say there was enabling of more abuse with many more victims and everyone involved basically said he's a dickhead but the cover-up rumours are totally unfounded.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Cocaine Bear posted:

Is it impossible that Bowman has been changing for the better and stopped his bullshit? I don't remember any controversy at all last season. I'm not sure a 49 year old should be written off as "bad person until the end of time who should never manage in the league again."

Also, this is a genuine question out of ignorance: what has he done that we know was a cover-up of horrific sex crimes in the NHL? People tried to say there was enabling of more abuse with many more victims and everyone involved basically said he's a dickhead but the cover-up rumours are totally unfounded.

https://twitter.com/BenPopeCST/status/1453062100272754690

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everyone in the Blackhawks organization knew what happened to Kyle, even the players. All it would have taken was a single whistleblower and no one spoke up. Everyone on the payroll in 2010 is complicit.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Cocaine Bear posted:

:discourse:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i'm just sad and frustrated

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

triple sulk posted:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/FlyersNation/status/1545431948566433793?t=6-eu4m5bDwqVkYFmxZl-_A&s=19

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

It’s ok- the Flyers are in compete now mode, you gotta push your chips in, strike when the iron is hot, gotta pay the price to be a top contender...

Oh wait, it appears they are dogshit garbage? Nevermind.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

As I have no plan to start watching Blackhawk games any time soon, FAS and BHAS should pick a team or two in the upcoming season to watch together.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
There was a post-draft interview with Jerry Forton, the Sabres' director of amateur scouting earlier today. It went on for about 20 mins and had some really good information, but at the very end he was asked about working under Kevyn Adams and he got really emotional and ended up crying lol. Didn't go into specifics about previous GMs (he's been with the team for a while now), but he heaped a lot of praise on Adams for being professional, trusting people to do their jobs, and getting everyone working together after a lot of extremely bad years. Pretty revealing of how dysfunctional things became under Murray and Botterill, and hopefully an accurate reflection of a real turnaround under new management.

https://twitter.com/MatthewFairburn/status/1545487281796091904

There was a story that came out in the last couple years or so that in 2016, Forton and a few other scouts had McAvoy ranked far and away as their top choice heading into the Sabres' pick at 8th overall but they were disregarded by Murray and others higher up the chain, who drafted Alex Nylander instead

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Apparently, Kaprizov has tried to get back into the US on multiple occasions but US customs told Kaprizov to gently caress off and go back to where he came from

Not great bob

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

As I have no plan to start watching Blackhawk games any time soon, FAS and BHAS should pick a team or two in the upcoming season to watch together.

lol this is actually legit a funny idea and is be down

My suggestion - Avs, bitch 😎

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Apparently, Kaprizov has tried to get back into the US on multiple occasions but US customs told Kaprizov to gently caress off and go back to where he came from

Not great bob

What? Do you have a source for this?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What? Do you have a source for this?

Latest Russo article on the Athletic. Kaprizov tried to enter the US from Dubai, rejected, tried to enter the US again from the Caribbean, rejected again, and then gave up and went back to Russia

It's apparently because Kaprizov doesn't have a work visa so someone hosed up there

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm torn between wanting to lol at Guerin and company for loving up so badly and feeling really depressed because Kaprizov will probably never play in the NHL again.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Latest Russo article on the Athletic. Kaprizov tried to enter the US from Dubai, rejected, tried to enter the US again from the Caribbean, rejected again, and then gave up and went back to Russia

It's apparently because Kaprizov doesn't have a work visa so someone hosed up there

Wow, that's messed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

I turn the TV on at 8pm, watch whatever game is airing that seems the most interesting.. unless it's chicago. Then I root for the home team because everyone loves home wins. Unless it's a team everyone hates, because then it's funny to watch them lose.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

triple sulk posted:

it really really really really really loving sucks

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Good soup! posted:

lol this is actually legit a funny idea and is be down

My suggestion - Avs, bitch 😎

Lets watch the 2 teams our old teams beat to reach the SCF back in 2010.

Im old and my memory aint what it used to be but I think that means... Montreal and SJ? Or was it Ottawa and SJ?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Definitely the Habs, after the Pens blew a 3-1 lead to them

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Definitely the Habs, after the Pens blew a 3-1 lead to them

Was that the year Halak decided to single handedly drag the Habs out of 2 series they were losing?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They shouldn't really have the right to just come back after going to a sanctioned country anyway.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Fire Chuck Fletcher into the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

This makes me very sad. I hope it gets sorted out before having to explain to my 8yo how Kaprizov isn’t playing this season for a whole mess of reasons. Such a happy hockey guy.

But at least we don’t have Fletcher anymore.