Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’d maybe care what he says if he hadn’t spent most of his political life calling Chicago a trash city. That guy only cares about African American deaths because he can try to hammer Prtizker on them. He doesn’t propose any solutions beyond, go back to four years ago. That wasn’t exactly happy times for the south and west sides either.

Not to mention that gun deaths in the whole US have been increasing for like 6 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The only things Bailey has ever said about Chicago have been typical downstate racist bullshit

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

The thing is, Rs and some independents from Chicago will still vote for him even though he considers them part of the problem.

The reason being is that “they are the good ones unlike those other ones…”

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

-Blackadder- posted:

At this point what are people's thoughts on how Irvin would have done against Pritzker in comparison to Bailey?

He would have lost worse than Bailey.
The fact that Bailey is from downstate versus loving Aurora means that it's a different sort of political fight. Bailey I predict will do better than expected as Chicago definitely understimates how much contempt downstate has for it, but Pritzger will win by a decent margin. Bailey has a very small chance because this midterms has signs of being a wave election. Irvin would have had no chance because the political energy for the Rs isn't in places like Aurora especially after Rauner.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

The thing is, Rs and some independents from Chicago will still vote for him even though he considers them part of the problem.

The reason being is that “they are the good ones unlike those other ones…”

Yeah all 10,000 of them.
There was a time in the not so far past even putting up a Republican candidates sign in your shop window in Chicago would result in a) a brick through said window b) a mysterious fire or c) a sudden interest in your business practices taken by the local police/health department/tax assessor. Republicans have never been very welcome in Chicago.
Hell they drove Trump out when he had the nerve to try and show up in person.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Eh it's not like downstate and the exurbs weren't stuffed with trump signs in '16 and '20.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

pasaluki posted:

He would have lost worse than Bailey.
The fact that Bailey is from downstate versus loving Aurora means that it's a different sort of political fight. Bailey I predict will do better than expected as Chicago definitely understimates how much contempt downstate has for it, but Pritzger will win by a decent margin. Bailey has a very small chance because this midterms has signs of being a wave election. Irvin would have had no chance because the political energy for the Rs isn't in places like Aurora especially after Rauner.

Bailey doesn’t have a snowballs chance in hell. They’d have to literally drop a nuke on Chicago, and it better be a big one.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
In the Salem area people are loving hyped for Bailey. “How can he lose? I don’t see any JB signs around here!!”

The 14 people and 5 dogs in your town don’t mean poo poo next to the rest of the state dumbass.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Nash posted:

In the Salem area people are loving hyped for Bailey. “How can he lose? I don’t see any JB signs around here!!”

The 14 people and 5 dogs in your town don’t mean poo poo next to the rest of the state dumbass.

bUt iF YoU LoOk aT ThE LaNd mAsS!!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nash posted:

And when Pritzker wins, well, that's proof of fraud! CHICAGO!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Big Black Dick posted:

bUt iF YoU LoOk aT ThE LaNd mAsS!!

The Illinois right will be forever pissed that corn and soybeans can’t vote.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Oracle posted:

The Illinois right will be forever pissed that corn and soybeans can’t vote.

The loving FFA guy at the school I teach for shares lots of “look at this electoral map and all that red! Don’t tell me it wasn’t fixed!” poo poo after the election. You are a grown rear end adult who teaches kids and you are telling them this bullshit. Makes my job as the social science guy even more fun.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

:lol: Rural chuds have a hard time comprehending the fact that one city block in Chicago might have more people living on it than their entire town.

poo poo, in some cases, maybe even their entire county! I remember looking at a COVID map of Wisconsin and finding some county with a population of 4,000!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Hardin County, IL

Population: 3,605

Population peaked in the 40's

eta: lol

quote:

In its early history, Hardin County was opposed to the “Yankee” Republican Party and its Civil War against the South – with whom it was closely allied both culturally and economically. It did not vote for a Republican presidential candidate until Theodore Roosevelt’s 1904 landslide.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

It’s stuff like this that makes me want to leave education. The schedule let’s me avoid daycare costs. That is about all that is keeping me in. The jr high science teacher is a huge anti vaxxer as well

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

:lol: Rural chuds have a hard time comprehending the fact that one city block in Chicago might have more people living on it than their entire town.

poo poo, in some cases, maybe even their entire county! I remember looking at a COVID map of Wisconsin and finding some county with a population of 4,000!

Years ago, in a discussion about the electoral college, I had a friend from Oklahoma tell me that it is not his fault that all these people move to cities and that does not mean that you can ignore the rural areas. He complained that it makes it easier to ignore certain areas or states. When I told him that those people should be represented the same as anyone else and everyone’s vote is the same, he began going down the “only people who pay property taxes should be allowed to vote since they have skin in the game”.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I don't think they have a hard time comprehending that; I think that scares them, and so they react against it. Reaction is, like, a defining hallmark of the current right wing (maybe all right wings?). That and the politicians and private organizations who will stoke that fear for their own person gain aren't helping the situation.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

brugroffil posted:

Hardin County, IL

Population: 3,605

Population peaked in the 40's

eta: lol

yeah a lot of people don't seem to comprehend that a LOT of northern states that bordered the south had a LOT of sympathetic members who were not keen on the Union and were pretty much in constant low-level insurrection the entire Civil War.

My personal favorite is Missouri, technically a Union state, but got an honorable mention at Stone Mountain, GA's monument for having southern sympathies (they sent 110,000 soldiers to fight for the Union -- and 40,000 for the Confederacy, heh.)

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

There was a draft riot at Charleston, IL by people who opposed the war and were supportive of the Confederacy.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

There was a draft riot at Charleston, IL by people who opposed the war and were supportive of the Confederacy.

Those copperhead sons a bitches

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nash posted:

Those copperhead sons a bitches

Bushwhackers. The Copperheads were Democratic peaceniks who wanted to negotiate with the South, much like what Sholtz is doing in Germany wrt Russia and the Ukranians.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Tbf a specific part of downstate maybe but Illinois overall was pretty much all union except some wackos on the southern tip.

Bad enough to be a boring soybean farmer without being a confederate

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

pasaluki posted:

Tbf a specific part of downstate maybe but Illinois overall was pretty much all union except some wackos on the southern tip.

Bad enough to be a boring soybean farmer without being a confederate

True, less than 100 men from Illinois joined up with the confederates. The rest were out of staters.

Makes you wonder what happened, sigh.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
From what I remember, Southern Illinois has always had more connections to St. Louis than Chicago, so people down there were okay with slavery and didn't want a war to interfere with business.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

I think it's the age of polarization we live in. I'm sure it's tons of other things too.

It's hard to explain but it's like we've lost our "bond." We've lost our cultural purpose in terms of being a cohesive state it feels like a long time ago. I think Illinois was way more together back in the Civil War than it is now.

To downstate, Chicago is the "Other" this completely corrupted alien crime ridden hellscape.

To Chicago, downstate is the "other" like a nebulous unimportant thing with a backwards culture not even worth a thought.

People grow apart and so do states I guess.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Oracle posted:

Bushwhackers. The Copperheads were Democratic peaceniks who wanted to negotiate with the South, much like what Sholtz is doing in Germany wrt Russia and the Ukranians.

Bushwhackers were from Missourah.

Copperheads led the resistance to the draft in Illinois. Probably, with the encouragement of groups like the bushwhackers, probably led to the riots.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

I talk about sundown towns and counties in USII and I’ve overheard more than once something to the effect of “should still be like that”.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

pasaluki posted:

I think it's the age of polarization we live in. I'm sure it's tons of other things too.

It's hard to explain but it's like we've lost our "bond." We've lost our cultural purpose in terms of being a cohesive state it feels like a long time ago. I think Illinois was way more together back in the Civil War than it is now.

To downstate, Chicago is the "Other" this completely corrupted alien crime ridden hellscape.

To Chicago, downstate is the "other" like a nebulous unimportant thing with a backwards culture not even worth a thought.

People grow apart and so do states I guess.

A lot of this is just from the general urbanization of America. 150 years ago during the civil war and Chicago was like 10% of the state population and now it’s close to 25%.

Rural areas have emptied into the cities. Those who stuck in the small towns feel left behind because they essentially are. So there’s a fair amount of resentment for how their towns are declining while everywhere else grows.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bird in a Blender posted:

A lot of this is just from the general urbanization of America. 150 years ago during the civil war and Chicago was like 10% of the state population and now it’s close to 25%.

Rural areas have emptied into the cities. Those who stuck in the small towns feel left behind because they essentially are. So there’s a fair amount of resentment for how their towns are declining while everywhere else grows.

They also reflexively vote for politicians and policies that reduce government investment in... anything and everything, but especially small towns.

Without New Deal era type spending, small towns are economically infeasible.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

I grew up upstate NY where the same economic reality is true but the resentment isn't the same.

I think it's way more pronounced in IL.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Haven’t people in downstate always hated Chicago

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

pasaluki posted:

I grew up upstate NY where the same economic reality is true but the resentment isn't the same.

I think it's way more pronounced in IL.

Could just be our politicians. Downstate republicans have been feeding an us vs. them mentality for decades now.

I think rural areas could do fine, but capitalism and cars have really taken its toll. Nearly every small town used to have a little downtown strip with a local grocer and a couple of other stores. The large stores like Walmart essentially made them unviable since the small stores couldn’t compete on costs. Once everyone had a car and could drive 15-30 miles to go to the Walmart, it was all over. That took away a lot of incentive to stick around since jobs in town didn’t exist anymore.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Could just be our politicians. Downstate republicans have been feeding an us vs. them mentality for decades now.

I think rural areas could do fine, but capitalism and cars have really taken its toll. Nearly every small town used to have a little downtown strip with a local grocer and a couple of other stores. The large stores like Walmart essentially made them unviable since the small stores couldn’t compete on costs. Once everyone had a car and could drive 15-30 miles to go to the Walmart, it was all over. That took away a lot of incentive to stick around since jobs in town didn’t exist anymore.

Yeah totally agree.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

I think there’s also an isolation and a lack of identity in rural Illinois communities that say upstate New York has.

Syracuse, Buffalo, and Albany all have distinct identities from each other while also having a common “upstate” mega-identity. It helps them survive together while also being able to cite proud differences.

I’m not sure I could say the same about Bloomington, Peoria, Carbondale, Rockford, and Springfield. Maybe I’m wrong and some Peoraite can correct me. But it sure seems like they’ve got nothing to identify themselves with. Only against the Chicagoans.

And that’s not entirely on them. Economic disinvestment, mega-corporations destroying small town shops, and brain drain to the cities robbed them of any economic green shoots.

They’re also really far apart. You’ve got some closeness with several middle state cities but Rockford and Carbondale are as far from the mid-region as you can get. Upstate New York cities are only about 2 hours from each other.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Spot on. Look at Dollar General showing up in every small town and creating healthy food deserts. What small southern Illinois town doesn’t have a business district that consists of 1 business for every 4 abandoned stores?

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Thwomp posted:

I think there’s also an isolation and a lack of identity in rural Illinois communities that say upstate New York has.

Syracuse, Buffalo, and Albany all have distinct identities from each other while also having a common “upstate” mega-identity. It helps them survive together while also being able to cite proud differences.

I’m not sure I could say the same about Bloomington, Peoria, Carbondale, Rockford, and Springfield. Maybe I’m wrong and some Peoraite can correct me. But it sure seems like they’ve got nothing to identify themselves with. Only against the Chicagoans.

I get what your saying but those places really do have a separate identity from hating Chicago. I work in Springfield near the Capitol.
Bloomington-Normal is a fun college town, Carbondale is an...even more fun college town shoutout to the insane dude selling these epic bagels on the street at 3am to drunken college students.

Decatur is really hosed up but it is... definitely interesting have had experiences there.
Even Arthur has like this Amish pyromaniac who shoots these giant fireballs over a decent fireworks set and even ppl in Chicago who know what's up go there.

Places have distinct identities and exist. They exist outside of the notice of the big city, but not really out of the influence.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

It’s more than just Wal-Mart as well. Every town had a doctor and a dentist. Rising costs in health care, the scam that is health insurance and the decrease in both wealth and population made the small town health care worker unviable. I have a friend that was a dentist in a small town for almost 40 years and had to shut down his practice because the costs got out of control. For example to bill Medicare/Medicaid you need a piece of software. It used to be that software costs 3000 bucks one time and you had to upgrade it ever 4 or 5 years. Then in the early 00s it increase in price to 15,000 and required a yearly paid upgrade of 4000 to still be able to bill. Then about a decade about it went subscription online and in the cloud. That cost skyrocketed to 12,000 a year. I have to stress that this is the only way to bill the government for dentistry. That isn’t even counting what you have to do to bill private insurance. To just bill people you are looking at 35-40k in costs. Add in malpractice insurance which also started to skyrocket in the late 90s and is at a crazy rate now you are looking at nearly 100k in just those two costs. You have to add in all the costs of actually running the business; building costs, utilities, supplies, staff, equipment…. You have to be clearing 400k a year before you see any profit at all, which most small town doctors have no chance at coming close to even if all their clients can pay in full and on time which just doesn’t happen even in good economic times.

This is why you see 6 or more doctors in a practice anymore to try and spread costs around to make it slightly economically viable but even then you are having these practices in a larger population center to have a patient base.

Health care access is already a huge issue in rural areas which we have seen with COVID and it is going to get much, much worse in the coming years as more rural hospitals and health care providers fold. We will likely see over half of the population be more than 2 hours away from trauma care and an hour from regular health care. Look for death rates in rural areas to skyrocket because of it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Thwomp posted:

And that’s not entirely on them. Economic disinvestment, mega-corporations destroying small town shops, and brain drain to the cities robbed them of any economic green shoots.

They’re also really far apart. You’ve got some closeness with several middle state cities but Rockford and Carbondale are as far from the mid-region as you can get. Upstate New York cities are only about 2 hours from each other.
That's definitely NOT my experience, living here in Normal and Bloomington, and having spent a lot of time in Carbondale, Champaign, and Peoria over the past 20 years.

Do not get me wrong, you will hear plenty of griping about Chicago from many people. But all those towns are pretty drat distinct.

I think a state like New York, which also has diversity of terrain, makes town identities easier to recognize. Heck, I'm sure it enhances them. But I couldn't mistake one of those for another, myself.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Thwomp posted:

Yeah, as someone who lived in Rockford for 10+ years before coming down to Bloomington for the past 20, I can't agree with this either. Just those two communities are very different, culturally and economically. I wouldn't ever confuse either with Peoria, and certainly not with Carbondale. I would also question your distance scaling. Rockford and Bloomington are less than 2 hours apart, same with Rockford and Peoria. Bloomington and Rockford are both 2 hours or less from Chicago, maybe a bit more depending on traffic and route, but still not unreasonable. Carbondale is really the only one you've mentioned that's waaaay out there, but I also would consider Carbondale to be culturally more similar to the South than any of the others you've listed.

All that said, in my experience Bloomington/Normal does have a thing where you can reliably predict the politics of a person you've just met by whether they like St. Louis sports or Chicago sports, so I do agree with whoever talked about St. Louis influence over central Illinois being a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Upstate New York also gets a lot of economic development money from the New York City area. Downstate has major enployers like ADM and Caterpillar stolen by the Chicago area.