Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If I’ve never seen any of WKW’s films would the new transfers in that set be a detraction? The cuts are still largely the same as the original releases, right?

Yeah, watch them all whatever way you can. The older blu of ITMFL is worth grabbing while it's still out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I grabbed Deep Cover and the 4k UHD of Mulholland Drive. Probably gonna grab more 4ks throughout the month. The selection otherwise is mostly blind-buys for me. I wish I could grab Crumb and a few other favorites, but my B&N never has them.

edit: My girlfriend surprised me with the Criterion beach towel. It’s awesome. I love it. They’re limited edition, apparently.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 3, 2022

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If I’ve never seen any of WKW’s films would the new transfers in that set be a detraction? The cuts are still largely the same as the original releases, right?

If you have a subscription to Criterion channel, all the original cuts are on there too.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I just saw my first WKW movie, Chunking Express and loved it. Really a big bummer that the boxset is shite, although I did pick up the in the mood for love disc

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
????? the vast majority of the boxset is really really good

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Gripweed posted:

I mentioned earlier that my local Barnes and Noble had reduced their Criterion selection to a single book case. I was so angry at the fools at Barnes and Noble, that it didn't occur to me that that reduction in selection would have another ramification come sale time. We're in day 2 of the sale, and around 25% of the Criterions that were there three days ago are now gone. I was there just the other day for the Arrow sale, and I looked at the Criterions to think about what I would want when that sale started. But since they now only have room for one or two copies of each title, most of the movies I was planning to get were sold out by the time I arrived.

I understand that there are bigger problems in the nation right now. But I still feel like this needs to be addressed by someone with the power to change things.

If you were gonna buy a couple, what’s the issue of using shipping for free via B&N?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

????? the vast majority of the boxset is really really good

Some other goons said every movie is compromised and worse in some way

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The films are still great, even if the updated look isn't

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

worms butthole guy posted:

Some other goons said every movie is compromised and worse in some way

They’re fine. They’re just a little aesthetically different. None of them are “compromised”, but the original palette for In The Mood For Love is better. Not a deal breaker at all.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Boywhiz88 posted:

If you were gonna buy a couple, what’s the issue of using shipping for free via B&N?

I like to browse and find something that looks interesting.

Speaking of which, I went back today. There were a couple titles I didn't remember from last time so they had clearly restocked, but it hadn't been enough. There were significantly fewer units on the shelf than last time. They had actually rearranged and removed a shelf to try to hide how bare the Criterion section was.

I hope they now realize the sheer idiocy of their mistake.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I would buy the poo poo out of the WKW box set in UHD. I own all of 6 whole DVDS and 2046 is one of them.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
James Caan died. Go get Thief if you haven't!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

rip to an absolute bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEvomyYkIPY

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 7, 2022

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I miss the days when I would go into the sale and just buy 10 things randomly because the titles or description sounded interesting. I got 4ks of Citizen Kane, Red Shoes, Shaft and Mulholland Drive. Mulholland is the only one of those I haven't seen before.

My closest B&N still has a decent sized space and selection of stuff. The half height media shelf but it runs a full 'aisle' worth.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

My BN completely nuked their criterion section as far as I can tell, which sucks incredibly bad

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I stopped at B&N on my way home and the media section has been reduced to a handful of vinyl.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I’m going to be sick.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Looking on the bright side of things, I fully expected B&N to be completely out of business by now. I had/have three of them in my general area and they've all had that "barely being supported by corporate because they're gonna be closed soon" feel for years and years already. The fact that one of the three has survived and maintained a decent movie section up to now would've sounded very unlikely if you'd told me that 5 years ago.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006
I feel very lucky that the media buyer for my Barnes and Nobel would fit right in with the blu-ray thread. Mine has a whole lot of Arrow, Severin, Synapse and even a few Vinegar Syndrome releases. I'd never expect to see Cannibal Man at Barnes, but mine had it (for MSRP, not in the sale).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SneakySneaks posted:

I feel very lucky that the media buyer for my Barnes and Nobel would fit right in with the blu-ray thread. Mine has a whole lot of Arrow, Severin, Synapse and even a few Vinegar Syndrome releases. I'd never expect to see Cannibal Man at Barnes, but mine had it (for MSRP, not in the sale).

Same. Mine has an Arrow sale atm, too. It is however located in a mall who's future is uncertain, but who knows, maybe it'll make it another year.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
poo poo, at least your local B&N still exists

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Not sale related (unless this makes you buy it and you should) but I've been trucking through the Zatoichi movies again and I'm continually amazed that they were making GBS threads these out at the rate they were and they're all great? I don't think there's a true miss in the entire set. I mean, obviously they're formulaic but if the formula is one you like they're pretty much top of the class.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

RichterIX posted:

Not sale related (unless this makes you buy it and you should) but I've been trucking through the Zatoichi movies again and I'm continually amazed that they were making GBS threads these out at the rate they were and they're all great? I don't think there's a true miss in the entire set. I mean, obviously they're formulaic but if the formula is one you like they're pretty much top of the class.

Agreed. A very fun series. :)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For those doing the B&N Sale, check the front counter to see if they’ve got stuff. They have all of the 4ks (Criterion and Arrow) behind the counter instead of with the regular selection for added security at my store.

Also, my store was looking scant last week. Today they beefed up the selection and had a bunch of stuff that they didn’t have last sale.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The thing about Barnes and Noble is they got bought by a private equity firm like… three years ago? It’s genuinely a miracle it’s still going after being given a $600m debt plus the pandemic.

The criterion shelves getting a little underfurbished makes sense this far in but hopefully they’ll be able to turn it around

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nerdietalk posted:

The thing about Barnes and Noble is they got bought by a private equity firm like… three years ago? It’s genuinely a miracle it’s still going after being given a $600m debt plus the pandemic.

The criterion shelves getting a little underfurbished makes sense this far in but hopefully they’ll be able to turn it around

Whatever consolidation they went through in the last 3 years might save them in the end, they're definitely going back to being a specialty operation.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I ordered the Fellini set, the Ingmar Bergman set, and A Man Escaped

Please no more sales

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1546560077322231808?s=20&t=FzH80EPJHnkJ52rBXgmHKA

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

I might be one of the few people that still prefer The Departed, but I really enjoyed the first one.

Come on Janus give me that John Woo box set. I need Hard Boiled in 4K (also The Killer and A Better Tomorrow Trilogy).

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I watched the Citizen Kane uhd last night. Its owns. Orson Welles owns. I could watch him do anything.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Also 4K NOTLD

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1546879550478581760?s=20&t=BEW8NWGHcZ44x3Rg4UQ1pQ

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Oh goddamnit, I already have the Criterion blu-ray:argh:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The UK releases continue to be super underwhelming for the most part. Although I wonder if the Great Dictator transfer has been improved at all or if they’re literally using the same one from the decade-old US disc

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Shiroc posted:

I watched the Citizen Kane uhd last night. Its owns. Orson Welles owns. I could watch him do anything.

Yeah I want The Third Man repressed dammit!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Criterion October releases announced:

- Lost Highway 4K
- Night of the Living Dead 4K
- Cure
- Eve's Bayou
- La Llorona
- Arsenic and Old Lace

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Very good month. And three of those movies are from 1997! I wonder if there’s ever been that many movies from the same year in a Criterion announcement before (ignoring boxsets)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Edit: oops was thinking of The Curse of La Llorona.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 18, 2022

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

RichterIX posted:

Some of them are pretty meh but I've never had a bad time watching one. It's a great thing to just chill and watch, unlike basically every other classic Japanese movie

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Edit: oops was thinking of The Curse of La Llorona.

I thought it was that first too and was so confused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Goddamn. May be the first month since I started paying attention where I’m interested in every release