Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

when I used to listen to the Arms Control Wonk podcast the host hammered on this point over and over and over where it didn't matter how effective your Patriot or Iron Dome or Aegis Ashore or THAAD system was on an individual missile basis: if the unit cost of a single successful interception (however many missiles it takes) is higher than the unit cost of a single missile as launched by your opponent, then the ABM system doesn't work, because the opponent simply builds more missiles

this is why MIRV nukes are still top dog. you could have 9 dummy warheads and one real warhead, doesn't matter your opponent must intercept all of them. and fancy interceptor rockets are more expensive than dummy nukes

i think Palestinians like to spray paint balloons to waste iron dome rockets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Rutibex posted:

this is why MIRV nukes are still top dog. you could have 9 dummy warheads and one real warhead, doesn't matter your opponent must intercept all of them. and fancy interceptor rockets are more expensive than dummy nukes

i think Palestinians like to spray paint balloons to waste iron dome rockets

You could argue that Qassam rockets were extremely effective in that sense.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
New IRGC missile corvette just dropped. I wonder how much to crowd fu d one for the Houthis?

https://news.usni.org/2022/06/30/po...swViHIW2hKdFWdQ

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

China Acquiring New Weapons Five Times Faster Than U.S. Warns Top Official
“In purchasing power parity, they spend about one dollar to our 20 dollars to get to the same capability.”

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/china-acquiring-new-weapons-five-times-faster-than-u-s-warns-top-official

lol

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
neoliberalism cannibalizing its own gendarmerie, you love to see it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
simple, just take our military budget and buy Chinese weapons with it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Weve been saying this for a long time!

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
That article got me thinking and my newest hot take is China is waiting to get good ICBM interception sorted before they consider invading Taiwan and turns out they just tested an interceptor. The way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if MAD is off the table in 20 years.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/china-conducts-sixth-missile-defense-test-one-year-after-the-last-one

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You can't beat MAD with ICBM interceptors because it will always be cheaper to just launch more MIRVs. At best you can cripple your opponents economy with an arms race......

:thunk:
Hmmmm, ok Xi do it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

quote:

“We have no competing fighting chance against China in 15 to 20 years,” Chaillan told the FT. “Right now, it’s already a done deal; it is already over in my opinion.”

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ardennes posted:

Yeah it is unclear how this thing is supposed to work out. I don’t know how light tanks are suppose to work with US doctrine since these things are going to be too heavy to airdrop, too lightly armored for a peer conflict, and too much for low intensity.

(Any relatively modern ATGM can take it out, there is no way to properly armor it considering its size/weight.)

It's just a cheaper-to-operate tank that does 99% of what a tank does (blowing the poo poo out of lighter vehicles, structures, and entrenched infantry) that you can stick in all your infantry divisions instead of things like Stryker gun carriers that are clearly garbo. MBT on MBT fights are pretty rare in the grand scheme of a peer war and to be honest not even an MBT is loving the idea of getting shot up with modern ATGMs; you use your infantry to scout and screen your gun carrying vehicles and things like thermal sights and the range of a dedicated tank cannon to locate and then shoot up ATGM teams before they shoot you rather than waiting to get shot at.

Light tanks actually make a lot of sense, not so much in that they win every 1:1 fight against opposing weapons systems but because you can show up with a bunch more of them for the same logistical footprint and they are much more capable than what you'd have instead like Strykers or Bradleys for the job you're asking of them.

This one looks like it might be a turd though.

PS: air dropped armored vehicles is a loving dumb idea and paratroops in general are borderline useless

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Training paratroopers accomplishes one very important goal, crippling troops.

The concern as I see it with a light tank is potential vulnerability to things like autocannons and grenade launchers.

Rutibex posted:

You can't beat MAD with ICBM interceptors because it will always be cheaper to just launch more MIRVs. At best you can cripple your opponents economy with an arms race......

:thunk:
Hmmmm, ok Xi do it

What if one country is very good at mass producing things and another has commercialized their MIC to the point of near uselessness? There's alternate technology possible too, like the Israeli laser defense or simply cheaper interceptors, maybe a cluster design. I think we're going to start seeing some interesting stuff when China achieves and begins to advance past technological parity.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The funniest thing about Strykers as weapons carriers is that

Canada

The USMC

and US Army

Had to independently invent putting TOWs on them four different times.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

has the US lost WW3 yet?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

The funniest thing about Strykers as weapons carriers is that

strykers were the first time i saw a cope cage lmao

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

It's just a cheaper-to-operate tank that does 99% of what a tank does (blowing the poo poo out of lighter vehicles, structures, and entrenched infantry) that you can stick in all your infantry divisions instead of things like Stryker gun carriers that are clearly garbo. MBT on MBT fights are pretty rare in the grand scheme of a peer war and to be honest not even an MBT is loving the idea of getting shot up with modern ATGMs; you use your infantry to scout and screen your gun carrying vehicles and things like thermal sights and the range of a dedicated tank cannon to locate and then shoot up ATGM teams before they shoot you rather than waiting to get shot at.

Light tanks actually make a lot of sense, not so much in that they win every 1:1 fight against opposing weapons systems but because you can show up with a bunch more of them for the same logistical footprint and they are much more capable than what you'd have instead like Strykers or Bradleys for the job you're asking of them.

This one looks like it might be a turd though.

PS: air dropped armored vehicles is a loving dumb idea and paratroops in general are borderline useless

The issue is spending that much money on a weapon system in order to achieve a job that could honestly be done with an even lighter vehicle. The problem it is a compromise between a tank and just an AFV with a higher caliber gun. The Stryker gun carriers were completely useless but it doesn't mean the concept was useless (it was just very poorly done).

Also, even if MBT fights are rare, in a peer-on-peer conflict you have to expect one to happen (and yes a T-72 with decent ammo can take this thing out) and ATGMs will still be an issue. It also costs as much as a MBT in other states (I guess an new American MBT would cost even more but you can see the issue here).

Basically, in a light-intensity conflict, this thing will likely be overkill and ATGM team could be taken out more easily with different systems, and in a near-peer/peer conflict, it is going to be too vulnerable. It gets back to why light tanks gradually disappeared except for paratrooper use.

Admittedly, I do think it still will fill a gap for the US military, but that is mostly left up to the fact of how heavy the Abrams is and they need to be able to carry more than 1 tank per transport.

Edit: Airdrops are of limited use, it is just that the Russians have similar vehicles that are also airdroppable. It is just this thing is just sort of in a weird middle ground where it is too light to stand up to the tasks of an MBT and too heavy and complex to be as flexible as relatively cheap AFV with a gun attached.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 05:10 on Jul 9, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
nice armor.....for a chicken

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

has the US lost WW3 yet?

victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win

- some oldass chinese guy probably

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ideally we would have just put a minuteman launcher in every yard in america in the 1960s and abolished the rest of the military. come invade us, ruskies, its a block by block nuke fight from coast to coast

drat empire blinded us to what was good and right

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

The issue is spending that much money on a weapon system in order to achieve a job that could honestly be done with an even lighter vehicle. The problem it is a compromise between a tank and just an AFV with a higher caliber gun. The Stryker gun carriers were completely useless but it doesn't mean the concept was useless (it was just very poorly done).

Also, even if MBT fights are rare, in a peer-on-peer conflict you have to expect one to happen (and yes a T-72 with decent ammo can take this thing out) and ATGMs will still be an issue. It also costs as much as a MBT in other states (I guess an new American MBT would cost even more but you can see the issue here).

Basically, in a light-intensity conflict, this thing will likely be overkill and ATGM team could be taken out more easily with different systems and in a near-peer/peer conflict, it is going to be too vulnerable. It gets back to why light tanks gradually disappeared except for paratrooper use.

Admittedly, I do think it still will fill a gap for the US military, but that is mostly left up to the fact of how heavy the Abrams is and they need to be able to carry more than 1 tank per transport.

if the military doesn want them I'm sure the American police will find a use

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

ideally we would have just put a minuteman launcher in every yard in america in the 1960s and abolished the rest of the military. come invade us, ruskies, its a block by block nuke fight from coast to coast

drat empire blinded us to what was good and right

yeah but we had colonies to extract resources from

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Delta-Wye posted:

strykers were the first time i saw a cope cage lmao

the us press and osint dorks all doing the soy face on Russian “cope cages” made me feel like I was going insane. every other wheeled vehicle in Iraq had that going on fifteen years ago.

I guess it fits with everyone acting shocked that a country can just invade another country. Iraq is completely forgotten in all ways

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I guess it's cool that certain units can poorly stencil-paint "WU-TANG" on their stryker TOW launchers, that sounds like a fun way to keep morale up.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Best Friends posted:

the us press and osint dorks all doing the soy face on Russian “cope cages” made me feel like I was going insane. every other wheeled vehicle in Iraq had that going on fifteen years ago.

I guess it fits with everyone acting shocked that a country can just invade another country. Iraq is completely forgotten in all ways

It is always been bad, but this war in particular it just is obviously random poo poo is just being made up and then defended to the death. The Russians are clearly the first ones who had to be bar armor on their vehicles against ATGMS, and if you say otherwise...you will regret it severely.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

palindrome posted:

I guess it's cool that certain units can poorly stencil-paint "WU-TANG" on their stryker TOW launchers, that sounds like a fun way to keep morale up.

it's either that or a punisher skull

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Best Friends posted:

Glad I wasn’t the only one.

WRT to Stryker MGS: is there any particular reason why just mounting a recoilless rifle or low pressure gun was so difficult? They couldn’t have just replaced the TOW on one version of the TOW carrier with a RR and called it a day? It’s still deliver 105mm HEAT and HE which was all the MGS had to do.

Instead it had an autoloader, the gun from the M60 mounted sideways etc etc.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Best Friends posted:

generation kill had a good dramatization of light infantry outrunning support and they got super lucky the iraqi lines were folding in front of them for the most part. assuming its even remotely close to the book (did not read) and the book was close to reality, the early russian experience in ukraine also didn't feel all that distinct from the US experience in iraq but everyone's losing their goddamn minds.

i haven't watched GK for many years but these poor SOBs dismounted from their tigrs had a similar vibe imho https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1497824591569252352

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

WRT to Stryker MGS: is there any particular reason why just mounting a recoilless rifle or low pressure gun was so difficult? They couldn’t have just replaced the TOW on one version of the TOW carrier with a RR and called it a day? It’s still deliver 105mm HEAT and HE which was all the MGS had to do.

to hazard a guess it's because making things simple cuts down on the opportunities for grift

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Delta-Wye posted:

generation kill had a good dramatization of light infantry outrunning support and they got super lucky the iraqi lines were folding in front of them for the most part. assuming its even remotely close to the book (did not read) and the book was close to reality, the early russian experience in ukraine also didn't feel all that distinct from the US experience in iraq but everyone's losing their goddamn minds.

i haven't watched GK for many years but these poor SOBs dismounted from their tigrs had a similar vibe imho https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1497824591569252352

Oh yeah I remember that XCOM 2 level, they should've used the fence between the houses as high cover when popping the pod. I'm guessing they'd lost stealth already.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

You start with a basically mediocre idea like, hey, we'll use the MOWAG Pirahana to make a family of light armored vehicles for the army which will of course require so much value added re-engineering to Our Needs that we might as well just build from scratch but hey why not at least the drat things work right

Then you go OUR NEEDS so hard that things weigh much, much more than planned

Then it turns you this was actually the loving Canadian army adapting the MOWAG Piranha into a modified license built copy so you do the whole thing over again for the US army to create a hyper-bloated copy of a copy called the Stryker

Then you go full pentagon wars mode because hey we also have this airdroppable light tank requirement - which, again, serves mainly the purpose of supporting a dead end wartime doctrine that is mostly good at severely injuring troops in peacetime and getting whole formations annihilated as a freebie to the enemy in wartime - and wouldn't you just know it but they just eliminated one of those formations' airdrop capabilities because it's expensive and stupid and as a result there's not enough demand to buy the dedicated air droppable light tank that was getting built so it got cancelled but what if, stay with me here, we shoved the gun and autoloader setup it was going to use on top of the Stryker. Same thing right? And it's ~partially funded~

Alright you're telling me we can't support a crewed turret because the Stryker is in fact a LAV with shoulder pads and it doesn't have a large enough hull and turret ring capacity for something like that, so no problem - we'll just turn the whole setup sideways to fit it in there

Alright now you're telling me the autoloader only holds eight rounds and there's no provision for internal ammo storage so the crew will have to go outside to the back of the vehicle and get out the extra ten rounds we put in a fannypack back there then climb up to the top of the tank to replenish the autoloader; 18 rounds combat load is enough for anyone right

Alright now I'm hearing something about how it gets so hot in the tank that it's melting the fire control computers and we didn't install air conditioning and that sounds like malingering to me, ship it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Actually the funniest part of the Stryker MGS is that this is not a Stryker MGS at all

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The Oldest Man posted:

Actually the funniest part of the Stryker MGS is that this is not a Stryker MGS at all

nah clearly it's that it isn't a armored bipedal walker with nuclear capability

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/AnnQuann/status/1401472426488205313

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

chad vietnam art vs virgin reddit catchphrases

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

Alright now you're telling me the autoloader only holds eight rounds and there's no provision for internal ammo storage so the crew will have to go outside to the back of the vehicle and get out the extra ten rounds we put in a fannypack back there then climb up to the top of the tank to replenish the autoloader; 18 rounds combat load is enough for anyone right

Haha this abomination has enough main gun and MG ammunition for less than 2 minutes of firing

Also the army is just scrapping all of the MGS apparently, though it was a year ago so might be old news to the thread

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I would not want to be a guy standing in a window holding a camera when bullets start flying

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rutibex posted:

nice armor.....for a chicken

?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
galactic space empire = ✅
windscreens = ❌

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans