Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Seth Pecksniff posted:

As we all called it, Elon's backing out of buying Twitter

https://mobile.twitter.com/business/status/1545519558810914816

He's trying to back out, at least

We'll see if Twitter lets him

Edit:

https://twitter.com/btaylor/status/1545526087089696768

DaveWoo fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

lmao Elon just invited a fuckton of lawsuits, how boring must his life be that he wants to go to court for fun

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

smoobles posted:

lmao Elon just invited a fuckton of lawsuits, how boring must his life be that he wants to go to court for fun

Elon always wins the lawsuit anyway.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Even if he loses it will be a pittance of his full wealth.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

As they say, you are entitled to all the justice you can afford in America

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Is this the first time in his life he’s pulled out

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

twitter needs to ban him. i really want to see the lovely social network he will create in response.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bad Purchase posted:

twitter needs to ban him. i really want to see the lovely social network he will create in response.

Nah, I suspect they won't until the court case is settled because they are going to use Musk's dumb posting to prove that he never intended to honor the very binding legal agreement and ream him in court.

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1545524744392478726?s=20&t=u6Tju58NsFDMH72xRpvtdg

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
So tell me 'bout my dick; my musky, musky dick.
I'll tell you 'bout your dick; your musky, musky dick.
I wanna, I wanna, I wanna,
I really really really wanna harass women at Teslaaaa.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

goatface posted:

Who could have predicted, etc. etc.

The Twitter board of directors certainly didn't.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mikemil828 posted:

The Twitter board of directors certainly didn't.

Actually, their ratifying the sale was likely to force his hand, so they did.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
The best possible outcome is the end of Twitter and Elon Musk

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Is this the first time in his life he’s pulled out

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
I am so excited for this future court case.

Full asses out everywhere, no lesson learned.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

trial by combat in the thunderdome.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I wouldn't get too excited at the prospects of a show. 5 years is considered swift for one of these megacorp X vs megacorp Y cases, and nobody would bat an eyelid at 10. And that's assuming the almost certain actual resolution of the case isn't a settlement whose details are NDA'd up to the eyebrows.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Deptfordx posted:

I wouldn't get too excited at the prospects of a show. 5 years is considered swift for one of these megacorp X vs megacorp Y cases, and nobody would bat an eyelid at 10. And that's assuming the almost certain actual resolution of the case isn't a settlement whose details are NDA'd up to the eyebrows.

It’s going to be real fun when we (and twitter’s investors) learn through the lawsuit that 75% of twitter users are bots or shills. Musk will probably start behaving increasingly erratic as well as the lawsuit drags on.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
lawyers demanding a minimum of five hosed up things about his dick in "discovery"

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I asked the AI about Elon:

- Elon Musk has done it. He is the first man on mars. It's a one way trip, but he realizes he forgot his space suit when he gets there.

He'll probably die within minutes of arriving on the Martian surface without a space suit.

- What if he throws money at Mars?

He'll still die.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MasterSitsu posted:

Dave Rubin
Jordan Peterson
Babylon Bee

who deletes their tweet in order to unlock their account first

edit: nvm of course Dave Rubin folded immediately

That's not even a contest.

Only one of those guys made an internet persona out of easily folding to their guests after all.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

what

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mental illness spawning religion. As it sometimes does.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

space penis man

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

As if that'll stop dipshit Elon from loudly taking about every dumb thing that happens in it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't know who it was in this thread who suggested "Tell me 'bout my penis" to the tune of the mario underground music, but I've been singing it to myself around the house all day.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

I don't know who it was in this thread who suggested "Tell me 'bout my penis" to the tune of the mario underground music, but I've been singing it to myself around the house all day.

oh god I’m not the only one in this hell

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

DaveWoo posted:

He's trying to back out, at least

We'll see if Twitter lets him

Edit:

https://twitter.com/btaylor/status/1545526087089696768

https://mobile.twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit/status/1545593855013265409

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It would be really funny if this goes to court for 5-10 years only to end with him being forced to buy, but also in that time period twitter stopped being relevant and he spends 40+ billion on a husk.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

also kinda curious how this plays out when it’s stuck in litigation so long that the stock market rebounds from the bear market and drags the twitter share price to $54 or higher. seems quite likely to get there given enough years of general market growth. can elon just change his mind again if/when that happens and decide to buy it then?

i guess the other factor in that scenario is whether tesla stock can grow back to the absurd level it was at so that he could afford it. that seems less certain to me. twitter may be overvalued, but just in the regular tech company with a terrible business model way. tesla being worth more than all other major car companies combined is/was complete lunacy and I’ll be surprised if that bubble can inflate a 2nd time.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
It's incredibly on-brand for him to loudly make a bid to take over a grossly overvalued company with an over-the-top bid at the top of the market because people on it are mean to him...

...then make a run for it to ditch his bid as the market crashes, slamming dick-first into the door he locked behind himself on the way in

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bad Purchase posted:

also kinda curious how this plays out when it’s stuck in litigation so long that the stock market rebounds from the bear market and drags the twitter share price to $54 or higher. seems quite likely to get there given enough years of general market growth. can elon just change his mind again if/when that happens and decide to buy it then?

i guess the other factor in that scenario is whether tesla stock can grow back to the absurd level it was at so that he could afford it. that seems less certain to me. twitter may be overvalued, but just in the regular tech company with a terrible business model way. tesla being worth more than all other major car companies combined is/was complete lunacy and I’ll be surprised if that bubble can inflate a 2nd time.

Twitter's value isn't going to nearly double lol

if litigation takes so long that all of Elon's pennies magically transmute into gold doubloons, that'd be even better news for him!

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 9, 2022

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Imagine being someone alledgedly very smart like Elon musk and signing a contract that states you have to buy something and then think you can just cancel that unilaterally.

Absolute dumbass but couldn't of happened to a more worthy person.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Twitter's value isn't going to nearly double lol

if litigation takes so long that all of Elon's pennies magically transmute into gold doubloons, that'd be even better news for him!

don’t underestimate the volatility of tech stocks, up and down, often for no good reason. also twitter doesn’t have to double to reach $54/share, it’s at about 2/3 that price right now. it peaked in the high 70s a year ago and it would need to double to get back there. i don’t think it’s impossible for twitter to bounce back when the market recovers even if nothing about the company or its performance changes at all.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

Imagine being someone alledgedly very smart like Elon musk and signing a contract that states you have to buy something and then think you can just cancel that unilaterally.

Absolute dumbass but couldn't of happened to a more worthy person.

He doesn’t give a gently caress because money buys you out of things, even “open and shut” cases and he’s never known consequences. I guess he might have sweat a little when he met with his team of suits and they laid out the numbers, but again, just throw lawyers at the problem and go yachting

He’s probably right in this case

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Professor Shark posted:

He doesn’t give a gently caress because money buys you out of things, even “open and shut” cases and he’s never known consequences. I guess he might have sweat a little when he met with his team of suits and they laid out the numbers, but again, just throw lawyers at the problem and go yachting

He’s probably right in this case

Backing out of this buyout puts him up against literal trillionaire investment companies, not some random lady he sexually harassed. Delaware basically continues to exist as a state for the sole purpose of providing a consistently favorable court system to corporations that trick suckers into signing bad contracts, the law can be bought but he can't afford a competitive bid

Entirely possible that Morgan Stanley makes Twitter let him out for only a billion or two because they figure personally destroying Musk would disrupt the market and threaten to do more than $16b in damage to their other holdings, but that's more a 'we can't have nice things' speculation than based on anything concrete

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 9, 2022

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
I wonder what the monthly total for Elon's child support, alimony, and hush money is? More than I'll make in a decade, I bet, but not even a slight mist in the bucket.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Entirely possible that Morgan Stanley makes Twitter let him out for only a billion or two
I've been seeing this number around, and it was estimated to be less than one percent of his wealth, which is not even slap on the wrist territory.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

You've been seeing it around because the contract stipulated a $1b penalty if Elon was forced to pull out for some kind of force majeure reason, like Tesla suddenly went belly-up and he wasn't rich anymore; it was intended as a slap on the wrist. Short of something like proving in court that Twitter knowingly defrauded him it's his best-case scenario, I'm no bigshot corporate law guy but a good number of people who actually know anything about that seem skeptical about his chances

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 9, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

legal analysis is pointless because laws don’t apply to rich people and it’s just going to come down to which side manages to get the case in front of their chosen corrupt judge

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
what happens if musky ends up owning twitter but doesn't want it? does he immediately sell it for a loss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He could either try and flip it (either at a loss or after some market adjusting tweets), "fix" it, or burn it to the ground out of spite.

Probably depends on how much money Tesla is making him at the time.