Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The cat goes on the desk, non-mouse side so you can pet it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
One hand on the cat; the other hand on the mouse. And a keyboard to keep them apart. Dunno what you use to type with in this scenario though when both hands are busy.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

The Lord Bude posted:

One hand on the cat; the other hand on the mouse. And a keyboard to keep them apart. Dunno what you use to type with in this scenario though when both hands are busy.

op simply scrolls and ingests massive quantities of posts without typing. enlightened or defeated? you be the judge

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
it’s called a deskTOP ya dingus

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I've since gotten a proper desk mat and wireless headset.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 9, 2022

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

The cat goes on the desk, non-mouse side so you can pet it.

nice case.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nolgthorn posted:

nice case.
Meshify C?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Nolgthorn posted:

I've since gotten a proper desk mat and wireless headset.

I'd be terrified of kicking right through that tempered glass

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

couldcareless posted:

I'd be terrified of kicking right through that tempered glass

Thanks now I'm worried about it

Josh Lyman posted:

Meshify C?

Meshify 2

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Saukkis posted:

The obvious and optimal compromise is to hang the computer under your desk.

Seems likely to interfere with my voluminous man spread, but looking into it has made me aware of pc wall mount brackets which will be my probable solution to this hitherto unknown problem.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
For the 'keeping computers on the floor' types, IKEA sells a little dolly for computer cases now, giving it a little bit of elevation and making it easy to roll around when necessary. That's "small platform with wheels" dolly and not "children's toy" dolly, to be clear.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Meshify 2 XL* ... Have a full custom loop in there and needed the space.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Saukkis posted:

The obvious and optimal compromise is to hang the computer under your desk.

Mounted our Mac Mini in a bracket under the desk, never going back.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

isndl posted:

For the 'keeping computers on the floor' types, IKEA sells a little dolly for computer cases now, giving it a little bit of elevation and making it easy to roll around when necessary. That's "small platform with wheels" dolly and not "children's toy" dolly, to be clear.
You can get these from any shop that carries planter caddies, like Home Depot.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

And I got a chaise longue to go on the left of the desk, for my dog.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Still moving but got the QN90A mini LED 75 inch up yesterday. Still need to manage wires and find our computer speakers.

Finally have the mega desk of my dreams. :allears:

The RGB tubes are these: https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-LS10...cs%2C102&sr=1-1

They can run off a commander core XT or the box that comes with the starter kit but the XT lets you avoid having a DC power brick.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 17, 2022

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

looks great - just missing some cable management

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

shrike82 posted:

looks great - just missing some cable management

Yeah, desk is still waiting for some anti sliding pads to come in the mail so its super just slapped together.

Ill tuck them under the desk at some point.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 18, 2022

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Switched up my setup with Studio Displays. Honestly, the best display.

edit: add other direction.

benisntfunny fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 20, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

benisntfunny posted:

I think you would win thread awards for most or close to most amount of money invested in your desk space and what's on top of it. Does your employer subsidize any of your setup by chance, are you in software eng? Big fan of your space :)

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Inner Light posted:

I think you would win thread awards for most or close to most amount of money invested in your desk space and what's on top of it. Does your employer subsidize any of your setup by chance, are you in software eng? Big fan of your space :)

Employer doesn't subsidize, would be pretty nice for even a little cash. In fact they just sent an email today saying they were cancelling our home internet "reimbursement" of a whole $35 a month even though I've been a remote worker since like 2017. I am a software engineer, of sorts. Changed roles in the last two months so am actually doing a lot less dev at my actual job. Plenty outside of work though.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

Looks great. Which dual monitor arm do you have? Do you find that it works well for you vs two single arms?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

benisntfunny posted:

this poo poo slaps SO HARD

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It looks great.

Nanoleaf - worth getting? I keep getting tempted.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

benisntfunny posted:

hell ya. anything but maximum screen real estate is for scrubs.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

benisntfunny posted:

The person with a full Apple setup has the most tasteful desktop :thunk:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

benisntfunny posted:

What's the stream-thing on your desk and how well does it work with macOS?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

The person with a full Apple setup has the most tasteful desktop :thunk:

It's basically cheating though

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

runawayturtles posted:

Looks great. Which dual monitor arm do you have? Do you find that it works well for you vs two single arms?

It’s a Dual monitor stand from Monoprice. Aside from being one of the cheaper arms it actually was the closest match I could find to the finish of the monitor.

I like single arms better usually so I have better flexibility in placement but this one is pretty okay since it supports up to 32 inch monitors and these are 27.

In general if you stay a few inches below the max size rating on a dual stand they work out pretty good.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

champagne posting posted:

What's the stream-thing on your desk and how well does it work with macOS?

It’s a streamdeck with an under desk mount from Etsy. Works great with MacOS. I use it mostly to bind to Shortcuts and Light controls/scenes to office.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

It looks great.

Nanoleaf - worth getting? I keep getting tempted.

Does it work? Yes.

Is it worth getting? I don’t know… do you like lighting money on fire? It’s a bit of a money pit.

Either way they’re on sale big time at Amazon, Best Buy, Home Depot, etc this week so a good time to consider it. I just picked up some element nanoleafs for behind my desk which isn’t shown in the picture. I guess I should have also shared that.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

There are a lot of 3rd party nanoleaf knock offs now, they are similar to Philips Hue they got to market first but guys like Govee and Lifx put out similar products at half the cost

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Costco has Nanoleafs as well

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Photex posted:

There are a lot of 3rd party nanoleaf knock offs now, they are similar to Philips Hue they got to market first but guys like Govee and Lifx put out similar products at half the cost

For me the third parties are totally hit or miss on integration with HomeAssistant and HomeKit and their apps are junk. If you can do something like Nanoleaf when it’s on sale for half off, as it is in some cases right now, I’d go that route.

I considered alternatives because of the cost but I’ve just had such bad luck with Amazon’s bargain bin electronics the last few years.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

benisntfunny posted:

It’s a Dual monitor stand from Monoprice. Aside from being one of the cheaper arms it actually was the closest match I could find to the finish of the monitor.

I like single arms better usually so I have better flexibility in placement but this one is pretty okay since it supports up to 32 inch monitors and these are 27.

In general if you stay a few inches below the max size rating on a dual stand they work out pretty good.

how do you like that IKEA Sonos speaker?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Ok Comboomer posted:

how do you like that IKEA Sonos speaker?

Both are fine - sound pretty good.

Worse than a HomePod Biggie but better than the HomePod Mini. Slightly annoying that the Lamp and the Wall speaker can both do Stereo Pairing but can't stereo pair with each other. I don't want two of either thing though so I just have a really loud room.

I actually bought the frame later than the lamp because I read they could stereo pair, just apparently not with each other. Got everything setup and cut holes in my walls and realized they wouldn't pair with each other and didn't feel like ripping everything out, boxing back up, and returning it. Overall I prefer the frame over the lamp too.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Currently looking for a very small electric sit/standing desk to size down to make room for baby stuff but it seems no one on amazon lists anything actually 32 inches wide. Is there anything available that's motorized that has decent user reviews? Any help would be appreciated

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

maniacripper posted:

Currently looking for a very small electric sit/standing desk to size down to make room for baby stuff but it seems no one on amazon lists anything actually 32 inches wide. Is there anything available that's motorized that has decent user reviews? Any help would be appreciated

The cheapest standing desk frame on eBay is entirely fine and I think will get that small. Put an appropriate top on (from Ikea or wherever) and you'll be set. I use one of those frames and a particle board Ikea top and it's great. The top doesn't need to be all that strong because the metal frame will keep it straight, even if you have heavy monitors on arms like I do.

edit:// This is the one I have bought three of with zero issues: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3930575501...%3ABFBMjJqN08xg

looks like it goes down to 27"

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

maniacripper posted:

https://www.fully.com/standing-desks/small-spaces/jarvis-kids.html

made for kids, so the minimum height is 22”, but it still goes up to 42”. if that’s not tall enough there’s this one

https://www.fully.com/catalog/product/view/id/7758/s/remi-frame-only/category/11/

but the minimum frame width is 36”, and you’d need to provide your own top. fully are more expensive than the knockoffs on amazon but they’re built very well.

disregard all that, their basic jarvis comes in 30” width

https://www.fully.com/jarvis-adjustable-height-desk-bamboo.html

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

hypnophant posted:

https://www.fully.com/standing-desks/small-spaces/jarvis-kids.html

made for kids, so the minimum height is 22”, but it still goes up to 42”. if that’s not tall enough there’s this one

https://www.fully.com/catalog/product/view/id/7758/s/remi-frame-only/category/11/

but the minimum frame width is 36”, and you’d need to provide your own top. fully are more expensive than the knockoffs on amazon but they’re built very well.

disregard all that, their basic jarvis comes in 30” width

https://www.fully.com/jarvis-adjustable-height-desk-bamboo.html

Yeah the Jarvis is the one I've been eyeing and from the looks of it this is about half as much once the top is factored in. I know Jarvis is the leading brand but if I can save 250 bucks and the thing wont spontaneously catch fire I'll give it a shot.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

The cheapest standing desk frame on eBay is entirely fine and I think will get that small. Put an appropriate top on (from Ikea or wherever) and you'll be set. I use one of those frames and a particle board Ikea top and it's great. The top doesn't need to be all that strong because the metal frame will keep it straight, even if you have heavy monitors on arms like I do.

edit:// This is the one I have bought three of with zero issues: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3930575501...%3ABFBMjJqN08xg

looks like it goes down to 27"
This looks right up my alley!
Did the one you get come with a motor that electrically certified by U/L or some type of electrical union?