Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

CommieGIR posted:

It may take them a while, but can almost guarantee they can get a court to side with them, especially since Twitter's lawyers were no doubt documenting his half-assed attempts to undermine the deal.
If it winds up going to a jury, all it takes is one bazinga for Musk to win. That's literally what happened in the pedo-guy defamation case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cat botherer posted:

If it winds up going to a jury, all it takes is one bazinga for Musk to win. That's literally what happened in the pedo-guy defamation case.

I don't think its gonna be a jury case. Also suspect Twitter has better lawyers, as well as that very nice binding agreement Musk signed.

Specifically, they are going to the Court of Chancery in Delware, which does not sit with a jury normally.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_Court_of_Chancery

quote:

The Court sits without a jury. All issues of fact are determined by the presiding Chancellor or Vice Chancellor. The Court has the discretion to appoint an advisory jury if it so desires, but this power is practically never exercised.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 9, 2022

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
It's not a jury issue and the purchase agreement he signed was basically the stupidest thing he could have signed if he didn't want to buy Twitter. He'll be lucky if he just gets away with paying them the billion dollars.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Anyone have a good source on democratic planning around roe v Wade? What are the next steps?

latest reporting has it that by asking that question, you are currently exactly where the Biden White House is, for what it's worth

there does not appear to be a plan at the moment beyond sending fundraising emails and telling voters "ball's in your court, we're not doing poo poo" in slightly kinder words

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

This story, and the upcoming Supreme Court case that could give total control over federal elections to the states has got me thinking. Republicans write election law to disenfranchise Democrat voters, making it much harder for Democrats to win. If that SCOTUS case does turn out how one would expect, then the Republicans can make it virtually impossible for Democrats to win in red states. As soon as Republicans take power in purple states they'll change the elections there too, turning purple states into red states.

The Democrat plan is to keep the presidency forever and appoint leftish Justices as vacancies to SCOTUS come up. But by 2028 it seems pretty likely that it will be virtually impossible for Democrats to take the Senate and at least extremely difficult for them to take the presidency. And that's pretty much locked in, there's nothing the Democrats can or are willing to do about it. It really looks to me like we're going to enter an era of Republican rule for the next few decades.

I don't want that to be the case, but I see no way around it. Is there anything I'm missing?

https://twitter.com/MollyBeck/status/1545395474437373954?s=20&t=FFSImCEe7GTb_GslS_3xWw

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Voting has been massively more restricted for most of the last century than it is even now and somehow that has not ended things.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Voting has been massively more restricted for most of the last century than it is even now and somehow that has not ended things.

for most of the last century the two major political parties were loose coalitions of regional special interests with little to no incentive to align ideologically with one another. over the past 30 years this has ceased to be the case. not only are there are political parties, they have achieved an ideological sortition on a national level that transcends local political demands, and they are irreconcilably opposed to one anothers' agendas. no matter how much the Democrats would love to pretend otherwise.

the founding fathers called very few shots, but they were correct when they said that this is what a failure state for their experiment would look like.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Do the text messages next.

There have been over 8 billion auto warranty calls generated from just two people and their partners since 2018.

quote:

FCC orders carriers to stop delivering auto warranty robocalls

The Federal Communications Commission on Thursday announced it has told carriers to stop delivering auto warranty robocalls, citing it as a top complaint from consumers.

The FCC said it has authorized all U.S.-based voice service providers to stop carrying traffic from Roy Cox Jr., Aaron Michael Jones, their Sumco Panama companies and other international associates believed to be behind the more than 8 billion robocalls generated since 2018.

"Billions of auto warranty robocalls from a single calling campaign. Billions!" FCC Chairwoman Jessica Rosenworcel said in a statement. "Auto warranty scams are one of the top complaints we get from consumers and it's time to hold those responsible for making these junk calls."

The FCC's Enforcement Bureau also sent cease-and-desist letters to Call Pipe, Fuble Telecom, Geisst Telecom, Global Lynks, Mobi Telecom, South Dakota Telecom, SipKonnect and Virtual Telecom to warn them to stop carrying the robocalls within 48 hours.

"The Enforcement Bureau will use all the tools at its disposal to protect consumers and U.S. telecommunications networks from the scourge of illegal robocalls," Acting FCC Enforcement Bureau Chief Loyaan A. Egal said.

Recent trackbacks show that the Sumco Panama operation is still generating millions of calls on a daily basis, the FCC said.

The agency noted that the calls usually claim that a consumer's auto insurance or warranty is about to expire and "frequently use consumers' real information in order to appear legitimate."

Consumers should be aware that scammers are skilled at endeavoring to gain trust from their victims and that consumers should not provide any personal information to anyone who calls unexpectedly.

https://twitter.com/DomPachino101/status/1545546686281355264
https://twitter.com/FCC/status/1545177246603804673

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
It's awesome that 2 people can harass an entire nation for literal years.

edit: In before "...but enough about [person]"

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm thinking it's more likely that her sexuality would come into play under a Dem president but maybe not under a GOP president, and the Russians took that into account.

Like, what are the optics of a president touting diversity & letting a Black lesbian rot in a Russian prison?

As an aside, why are news outlets saying she might be sentenced into a "penal colony"? Looking up the definition I can't see the difference between that and a good ol' American prison:

Is it supposed to sound scarier than the hell of our own penal system?

Our civilian prison system doesn't use penal colonies, as far as I know. It could be argued that our military detention system does, depending on what you would consider a colony, and whether you consider exclusive use for detention a necessity, but it could, for example, apply to Guantanamo Bay.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
i get 20 spam calls a week minimum even on a new number and i have started to think of it as an outward reminder i live in a dying country. this degree of regulatory paralysis and helplessness for so long. how many years has "we've been trying to reach you about ur car's extended warranty" been a meme

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jaxyon posted:

It's awesome that 2 people can harass an entire nation for literal years.

edit: In before "...but enough about [person]"

I haven't read about this but I'm guessing they got away with it so much for so long because of features of the phone system that were designed in the days of analog landlines and had to be transplanted to the modern switched digital system because there are still landlines it has to talk to

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kavros posted:

i get 20 spam calls a week minimum even on a new number and i have started to think of it as an outward reminder i live in a dying country. this degree of regulatory paralysis and helplessness for so long. how many years has "we've been trying to reach you about ur car's extended warranty" been a meme

It's not an American problem; the companies doing this operate through overseas entities, and they operate globally. The US gets hit hard because we've got a population with money and means to be scammed.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Discendo Vox posted:

It's not an American problem; the companies doing this operate through overseas entities, and they operate globally. The US gets hit hard because we've got a population with money and means to be scammed.

Why don’t the carriers do more about it? Or, as they won’t, why can’t congress take action to hold them accountable, or at least to offer remedies and compensation to the scammed? If they could not do any of these things it sounds like it would be due to American issues here in America.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Discendo Vox posted:

i guess that makes me feel a little bit better about it but it does imply that, absent any genuine ability to contain abuses like this, the standard call system will phase out from general use

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Trump definitely does not have $44 billion

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

For example, one thing that could be done to curtail auto warranty scams could be to offer public auto insurance as several Canadian provinces do (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_auto_insurance). Couldn’t the government pursue universal public auto insurance as a way to shut down auto insurance scams? For a country so dependent on automobility it might make a lot of sense.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Koos Group posted:

Our civilian prison system doesn't use penal colonies, as far as I know. It could be argued that our military detention system does, depending on what you would consider a colony, and whether you consider exclusive use for detention a necessity, but it could, for example, apply to Guantanamo Bay.

Prison farms are the closest American equivalent. Most Russian penal colonies don't really fit the colony definition these days.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

mawarannahr posted:

Why don’t the carriers do more about it? Or, as they won’t, why can’t congress take action to hold them accountable, or at least to offer remedies and compensation to the scammed? If they could not do any of these things it sounds like it would be due to American issues here in America.

The carriers can do a lot more about it, but it takes a lot of effort to filter and block them and they don't want to do it for free.

This new FCC rule is basically making them refuse VOIP and automatic calls from the robocallers.

They will probably try to regroup, but by making the carriers filter all calls from those blocks, once a robocallers hub gets big enough or uses the same networks enough for calls, they can identify and filter them again. It's essentially whack a mole, but makes the robocallers do a lot more work and they can't get too big.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Kavros posted:

If you think US regulatory structures are weak I have bad news for you about, like, almost the entire rest of the world.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The carriers can do a lot more about it, but it takes a lot of effort to filter and block them and they don't want to do it for free.

This new FCC rule is basically making them refuse VOIP and automatic calls from the robocallers.

They will probably try to regroup, but by making the carriers filter all calls from those blocks, once a robocallers hub gets big enough or uses the same networks enough for calls, they can identify and filter them again. It's essentially whack a mole, but makes the robocallers do a lot more work and they can't get too big.

It sounds like what I suggest happen is being done. I’m excited to see how it works out. What methods are being used to enforce this on the carriers; are there punitive fines or anything?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mawarannahr posted:

For example, one thing that could be done to curtail auto warranty scams could be to offer public auto insurance as several Canadian provinces do (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_auto_insurance). Couldn’t the government pursue universal public auto insurance as a way to shut down auto insurance scams? For a country so dependent on automobility it might make a lot of sense.

...we don't even have a public option for healthcare

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

...we don't even have a public option for healthcare

Yeah, but cars are more important than people

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Scipiotik posted:

It's not a jury issue and the purchase agreement he signed was basically the stupidest thing he could have signed if he didn't want to buy Twitter. He'll be lucky if he just gets away with paying them the billion dollars.

Yeah, I don't think you ever want to bet on Elon finally eating poo poo, but in the early analysis he supposedly signed away his right to due diligence in a part of the contract that basically noted what an extreme and special concession that was and that he should only agree if he's really really sure he wants to buy quickly, which...lol. He's hosed unless something changes. There were good arguments that they'll definitely get the billion and can probably pursue him for damage to their stock price even if they can't force him to complete the purchase.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gripweed posted:

The Democrat plan is to keep the presidency forever and appoint leftish Justices as vacancies to SCOTUS come up. But by 2028 it seems pretty likely that it will be virtually impossible for Democrats to take the Senate and at least extremely difficult for them to take the presidency. And that's pretty much locked in, there's nothing the Democrats can or are willing to do about it. It really looks to me like we're going to enter an era of Republican rule for the next few decades.

You're telling the thread that the Democrats have a loving plan?

Kavros posted:

Yeah, it's pretty loving brutal. Just putting my contact info on Indeed looking for a job has opened up the floodgates on my phone and also my email. Everything's a loving a pitch, a con and an advertisement. A whole nation of salesmen trying to take money that people don't have. I don't know what can be done about it.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 9, 2022

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I just wonder why they all think my name is Roland

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Twibbit posted:

I just wonder why they all think my name is Roland

Someone used the fake name Roland when they signed up for a free online service in the late 90s, probably. Big Data works by combining vast oceans of facts, copying huge databases into newer, huger databases. Even if you were to track down the original source of Roland, it's been copied dozens of times into newer and more oppressive digital systems. You will never not be Roland now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

In 2019 during open enrollment, I got dozens of calls a week trying to sell me health insurance. Every one of then was an actual person asking something like, “is Carol there?” It was always the same woman’s name. For a day, I was worried my identity had been stolen, but it ended up just being a common script they were all using to try getting around people’s initial impulse to hang up on sales calls. I was never able to figure out if they were all from the same company or not. They all disconnected immediately if I said anything other than something like “you have the wrong number” or “there is no Carol here.”

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fart Amplifier posted:

Elon Musk is likely not going to be forced to buy Twitter (as many online seem to be suggesting). He will almost certainly have to pay the billion dollar penalty after years of legal wrangling. For a breakdown, listen to this: https://openargs.com/oa610-elons-twitter-deal-was-a-complete-blunder-its-not-happening/

CommieGIR posted:

Yup, that is what I was referring to. Twitter isn't going to force him to buy, but they are going to drag him through the courts to get their money, because Elon couldn't shut his mouth up about a deal he already made.

What Twitter is suing for isn't just the $1 billion dollar termination fee. That's the consolation prize.

What they're actually suing for is damages stemming from Musk's little stunt, since he tried to collapse the stock by airing out the negotiations. So, basically, the stock price from when he penned the deal to when he terminated the deal. which amounts to $16 billion dollars.

https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1545747193025499138?s=20&t=wnLcHAO4vbqaH4jAFF0wAA

So, either he agrees to buy Twitter at $44 billion, money that he doesn't have; is sued for $16 billion and Elon gets nothing in exchange; and if Twitter still loses, they get $1 billion dollars out of it.

BTW, wasn't one of the sources for income of his $44 billion offer a loan that was given to him by Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, the Saudi prince that owns part of Twitter. Imagine taking out a loan from this guy, getting sued for not going through with the deal, and having to pay that guy back damages, plus the loan, plus the interest on the loan.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Young Freud posted:

What Twitter is suing for isn't just the $1 billion dollar termination fee. That's the consolation prize.

What they're actually suing for is damages stemming from Musk's little stunt, since he tried to collapse the stock by airing out the negotiations. So, basically, the stock price from when he penned the deal to when he terminated the deal. which amounts to $16 billion dollars.

Twitter's shareholders can sue. They are the ones who actually suffer damages from a lower stock price. AFAIK, they are already suing both Twitter and Musk.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Herstory Begins Now posted:

If you think US regulatory structures are weak I have bad news for you about, like, almost the entire rest of the world.

The US has very weak regulatory structures compared to many other developed countries.

Seems like most of the rest of the world has much stricter regulations. I get maybe one spam call a year in Europe.

Criss-cross fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 9, 2022

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Young Freud posted:

So, either he agrees to buy Twitter at $44 billion, money that he doesn't have; is sued for $16 billion and Elon gets nothing in exchange; and if Twitter still loses, they get $1 billion dollars out of it.

BTW, wasn't one of the sources for income of his $44 billion offer a loan that was given to him by Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, the Saudi prince that owns part of Twitter. Imagine taking out a loan from this guy, getting sued for not going through with the deal, and having to pay that guy back damages, plus the loan, plus the interest on the loan.

What if we execute everybody involved, take all those billions and do something productive with it like feed the poor?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Young Freud posted:

https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1545747193025499138?s=20&t=wnLcHAO4vbqaH4jAFF0wAA

Elon musk getting buzzsawed by the Saudis would be seen as a conspiracy to keep gas cars around and not revenge for Twitter.

I mean we are talking about the loving Saudis here. Musk should probably not have hosed around.

quote:

In 2015, Al Waleed was criticised for offering to buy Bentley cars for Saudi fighter pilots involved in the Saudi Arabian-led intervention in Yemen. In a tweet later deleted, he said: "In appreciation of their role in this operation, I'm honoured to offer 100 Bentley cars to the 100 Saudi [fighter] pilots".[70]

Yeah.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 9, 2022

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

Maybe Elon vs Twitter costs DeSantis the 2024 Republican Presidential Primary?

CNN posted:

Even as any litigation continues, however, the two sides will likely keep talking...and the situation could resolve itself through a renegotiated sale price. That type of resolution is common in merger disputes, he said, citing the recent deal involving luxury brands Luis Vuitton and Tiffany, which went to court but was ultimately completed at a lower price.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Young Freud posted:

It would be a pity if Muskrat angered wrong people and had the fate of Jamal Khashoggi.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
lol, elon might have just caught a ban and twitter's cache hasn't caught up?

Banned: https://mobile.twitter.com/eIonmusk
Not banned?: https://twitter.com/elonmusk

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
All this because some people made tweets that made fun of him.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

JehovahsWetness posted:

lol, elon might have just caught a ban and twitter's cache hasn't caught up?

Banned: https://mobile.twitter.com/eIonmusk
Not banned?: https://twitter.com/elonmusk

Nope. That banned link is to eionmusk with a capital i. minor L elonmusk account is still active. you can try it yourself by changing the letter in url.
banned fake: https://mobile.twitter.com/eIonmusk
the real one: https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Ha, derp, I thought twitter normalized / downcased all urls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

JehovahsWetness posted:

Ha, derp, I thought twitter normalized / downcased all urls.

It's a super well thought out system!!