Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Astroman posted:

I think there is one missed plot thread--Stan Edgar. He is literally the most likely candidate for actual villain in the show. He is behind the misery of almost everyone--from getting Noir and Payback to take out Soldier Boy and giving him to the Russians, to raising Homelander to be hosed up, to setting up the current system of "heroes" and covering up their misdeeds, manipulating Butcher, raising his adoptive daughter as both a weapon and political snake--outside of Frederick Vought and whichever corporate bosses ran the company between his death and Edgar taking power, but they're all dead.

Pretty much every character in the show could team up to get revenge on Stan Edgar. And I can't believe he doesn't have a backup plan somehow to get back in control.

Yeah, for the first half of the season I thought he was marked as fodder for Homelander to kill to show he was completely off the leash, but then when he was seemingly effortlessly dispatched and gone for the back half of the season I thought it was a red herring and he would pop up in the finale to show off his leverage or power or whatever he has that makes him confident mouthing off at Homelander even as he was getting ousted. Guess we'll find out next season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

Same. Glad they gave Maeve the happy ending but also if the roles were switched between Noir and Maeve everything else makes way more sense once the finale gets going:

- Butcher fights SB while Noir holds off Homelander
- Noir sacrifices himself to take out SB, dies at peace
- Dunno what you do with Maeve at this point but honestly they could've just let her go do her thing after escaping from the truck and still pulled the "Ashley covering tracks" ending

Sucks for the actress playing Maeve but it would've made all the arcs a lot cleaner.

this is a pointless change though all in service of black noir. who gives a poo poo he's a scumbag. couple tweety birds and we're rooting for him now? give me a break lol

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Aww man, up until I saw that link, I thought we'd get a scene of Noir hopping up from the morgue table and making some tea for the season 4 opener.

I did like the dance fight scene, basically because that's the first time she's ever chosen to go forth and kick rear end. Every other time it's been someone else telling her to do it, and she finally gets to cut loose on her own terms. I think she'll rein it in a lil so Frenchie doesn't get shot next time though.

I thought starlight's power up was fine. She managed to knock soldier boy down in one shot, which is pretty fair.

Love the Homelander/Maeve fight. Especially when he gets popped in the nose and decides to actually cut loose.

Lots of great moments in the finale, but oddly enough, I didn't really like it. Just... I guess it feels like the story took a left when I was expecting it to go right and it's just ended in a weird spot for me. Season 4 is gonna be a trip, that's for sure.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Khanstant posted:

this is a pointless change though all in service of black noir. who gives a poo poo he's a scumbag. couple tweety birds and we're rooting for him now? give me a break lol

it plays out like a really boring version of GRRM writing. Going into this season, the best case version of Black Noir is that he's a character with a backstory that justifies his place in the 7. We sorta get a hint of that -- how it actually plays out is that he's grandfathered in to the 7 after the original team disbands. They could have given us more meat to gnaw on with him and Stan but whatever, maybe not doing that helped or maybe it hurt. He's an enigmatic weirdo with some quirks.

In a season that wasn't trying to juggle so much, we would have had more scenes with him struggling with trauma, or with him being super-competent, or super-violent, or really him doing anything notable at all. Instead, his arc this season is that he goes from being generically enigmatic to caring about something to dying at the hands of someone who wasn't 'supposed' to kill him. His death was pointless but not in an interesting way. Which is why I compare it to GRRM , because I guess the idea was that even well-meaning characters can die -- or that plans can go awry -- except it would have been more interesting if he psyched himself up and then got totally dunked on by Soldier Boy. Instead, we got the narrative equivalent of Starlight dying in a car accident.

Did Black Noir need any service? idk. But they tried to make him interesting and/or tragic and then failed completely.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

GRRM jumped to mind for me too, and not even necessarily as a knock against ol george, just that ned stark's hbo death happened 10+ years ago and "sometime, a person die, without da ending you think they get" is no longer a satisfying concluding arc in its own right.

Khanstant posted:

also what is this crap lol. you are not watching a sport. a ton of highly praised prestige television involves people doing irredeemably awful things and having to work around that fact. root for all characters having storylines that make sense, there wasn't a big lever with maeve and noir on either side

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, for the first half of the season I thought he was marked as fodder for Homelander to kill to show he was completely off the leash, but then when he was seemingly effortlessly dispatched and gone for the back half of the season I thought it was a red herring and he would pop up in the finale to show off his leverage or power or whatever he has that makes him confident mouthing off at Homelander even as he was getting ousted. Guess we'll find out next season?

President AOC will pardon Edgar. Or kill him. Who knows at this point.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Animorphs novels ended with a letter from the author that says something like "I know some fans will be unhappy that multiple main characters died. That's what happens when you read a series about a war." This season finale felt like they wanted to have it both ways, where there's life-or-death stakes but everyone gets to live.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the animorphs books sucked, and were for nerds

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That DICK! posted:

the worst take in this entire thread.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

That DICK! posted:

I'd trust The DeepKevin's opinions over yours

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Real talk, how the hell do they stretch this out for 16 more episodes especially now that Homelander (probably) knows he can get away with murder in broad daylight? Butcher having a terminal diagnosis and having 'lost' Ryan means he has absolutely nothing to lose, right? You'd think Homelander would see that killing Butcher immediately would really uncomplicate his life even if Homelander is kind of dumb and a malignant narcissist.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

“Nothing needs to pay off really, because that’s life” well ain’t that a convenient conclusion for a lady who turned her children’s novels about not turning into a giraffe for too long into a gritty intergalactic space war

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That DICK! posted:

“Nothing needs to pay off really, because that’s life” well ain’t that a convenient conclusion for a lady who turned her children’s novels about not turning into a giraffe for too long into a gritty intergalactic space war

those books were a gritty intergalactic space war right from the start

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

please god I am 28 years old I do not need to read another round of posts about how animorphs are actually hosed up if you think about it

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I think Black Noir's death made sense in the narrative. He was a company man, completely loyal to Vought and someone who could actually get things done. He went back to help out Homelander when he could have left him to his fate...and his reward for all that was an brutal death by the person he thought he had a good relationship with.

BlackIronHeart posted:

Real talk, how the hell do they stretch this out for 16 more episodes especially now that Homelander (probably) knows he can get away with murder in broad daylight?

There's two more seasons? Yeah I'm wondering how they'll pull that off. It feels like the next season is fit to be the last one, with Homelander fully unleashed and the stakes being this high.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Yeah, Kripke has said he wants at least 5 seasons and they're definitely coming back for season 4.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Khanstant posted:

There's no one to root for in this show really, and Noir especially not but like others have said - the way he went out reeked of wanting to surprise audiences and/or subvert expectations, in the sense that there needed to be stakes of "ANYONE COULD DIE EVEN IF THEY HAVENT FULLY CLOSED OUT THEIR ARC" but then...no one from the main cast died. My point was that you could've swapped him with Maeve and nothing would have noticeably changed, which speaks to how inconsequential both of their plots were in this episode at least.

Like I said upthread, I think his arc was mostly fine but similarly to quite a few things in the season finale it felt more than a little contrived such that it flubbed the landing.

That DICK! posted:

Never seen a more wrong opinion on these here forums.

BlackIronHeart posted:

Real talk, how the hell do they stretch this out for 16 more episodes especially now that Homelander (probably) knows he can get away with murder in broad daylight? Butcher having a terminal diagnosis and having 'lost' Ryan means he has absolutely nothing to lose, right? You'd think Homelander would see that killing Butcher immediately would really uncomplicate his life even if Homelander is kind of dumb and a malignant narcissist.

Honestly would be better for the story if Amazon cuts them off after season 4, there's no need to drag this poo poo out for another 16-20 episodes.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

BlackIronHeart posted:

do the boys get to keep their swanky office in the flatiron building given that theyre apparently going to go after a presidential candidate and the most powerful man in the world simultaneously

seems like they might be easy to find

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s not like the mailbox out front says “The Boys”, there is probably a pseudonym on the lease.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
"Les Garçons"

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
One thing I forgot to talk about that might happen, probably in season five. Not that I expect many to agree with it.

Butcher is going to kill Ryan. Calling it now. This will lead to the finale conflict of the show, with Homerlander himself already dead.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

withak posted:

It’s not like the mailbox out front says “The Boys”, there is probably a pseudonym on the lease.

yeah also I just remembered the deep's in charge of intel, they're probably good

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
It's odd that they're leaning so heavily into the anti-Trump propaganda (like their version of "I could shoot laser someone in 5th Avenue and not lose a single voter"), like he's somehow still relevant.

I mean... He was a glorified celebrity. He coasted entirely on being "new, exciting, and politically incorrect"... Then fell on his rear end when it mattered most.

Thus, he loses re-election. He gets laughed out of the courtroom. He even gets banned from Twitter.

This would've hit harder a few years ago... But at this point, they're just preaching to the choir, aren't they? Or is it like some sort of weird PTSD thing?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 9, 2022

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Fionordequester posted:

It's odd that they're leaning so heavily into the anti-Trump propaganda (like their version of "I could shoot laser someone in 5th Avenue and not lose a single voter"), like he's somehow still relevant.

I mean... He was a glorified celebrity. He coasted entirely on being "new, exciting, and politically incorrect"... Then fell on his rear end when it mattered most.

Thus, he loses re-election. He gets laughed out of the courtroom. He even gets banned from Twitter.

This would've hit harder a few years ago... But at this point, they're just preaching to the choir, aren't they?

After Trump lost, a bunch of his supporters attacked the Capitol Building with the purpose of overturning the election because he kept going on about the election being stolen from him. He will face no consequences for this. And do you think there's nothing we're still dealing with once the nation found out someone like Trump could run for President and win?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Heliotrope posted:

[D]o you think there's nothing we're still dealing with once the nation found out someone like Trump could run for President and win?

If someone else like him wins the election (or comes close), then yeah, I'll be worried.

As it stands now, I just see it as a fluke. He presented himself as new, some folks told themselves "ok, why not?"... Then discovered "oh, that's why".

I don't think we'll be getting another guy that refuses to denounce the Proud Boys, for example.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Oh wow I do not feel that way about things at all

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Fionordequester posted:

I don't think we'll be getting another guy that refuses to denounce the Proud Boys, for example.

I sincerely hope you're right but oh man, I do not like our chances of this being the case. Not even a little bit.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Like, I could maybe see someone who feels similarly, but is more subtle about it (like Stormfront). But nothing as brazen as what Trump did. Not if they want to get re-elected, anyway.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

That DICK! posted:

that said, i hope the mask is haunted and the new noir is driven mad by the cartoon critters

The Boys / Peacemaker crossover? I'm here for it.

Crespolini posted:

Well, I won't hold my breath. But I do think Annie could own Neumann by simply blinding her. Good luck popping heads then, dumbass.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Fionordequester posted:

Like, I could maybe see someone who feels similarly, but is more subtle about it (like Stormfront). But nothing as brazen as what Trump did. Not if they want to get re-elected, anyway.

Ron DeSantis, the presumptive alternate to Trump at this moment, unveiled and activated the Florida State Guard last month. That's 400 soldiers that report directly to him. Fascists don't tend to practice subtlety.

https://www.flgov.com/2022/06/15/governor-ron-desantis-unveils-the-florida-state-guard/

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Fionordequester posted:

This would've hit harder a few years ago... But at this point, they're just preaching to the choir, aren't they? Or is it like some sort of weird PTSD thing?

They started filming in February 2021, they would have been writing the episodes in mid-late 2020.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Fionordequester posted:

Desantis is scarier and more dangerous than Trump and will very likely be running for president in 2028 if not 2024. Desantis is Homelander more Trump is Homelander imho

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Heliotrope posted:

I think Black Noir's death made sense in the narrative. He was a company man, completely loyal to Vought and someone who could actually get things done. He went back to help out Homelander when he could have left him to his fate...and his reward for all that was an brutal death by the person he thought he had a good relationship with.

Somebody upthread mentioned this, but him simply nodding Yes to Homelander's question was pretty much suicide by cop supe. Maybe he figured he was hosed either way once SBoy showed up and just wanted it to be over?

christmas boots posted:

"Les Garçons"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

Somebody upthread mentioned this, but him simply nodding Yes to Homelander's question was pretty much suicide by cop supe. Maybe he figured he was hosed either way once SBoy showed up and just wanted it to be over?

Homelander had just told him he could hear/see his vitals and would be able to tell if he was lying, so telling the truth wasn't a choice at all

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

As stunted as Homelander is emotionally and as dumb as he’s made himself look sometimes, the fact he’s able to actually parse things like the heart-rate and blood pressure of those around him without it all just being a horrible auditory nightmare of Meat Sounds is pretty impressive.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I really liked the fact that Homelander used the xray stuff again.
I wonder if he can sense that Butchers going to die soon?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

They started filming in February 2021, they would have been writing the episodes in mid-late 2020.

Oh... Huh! Good point! I often forget how much has to be done in advance...

BlackIronHeart posted:

Ron DeSantis, the presumptive alternate to Trump at this moment, unveiled and activated the Florida State Guard last month. That's 400 soldiers that report directly to him. Fascists don't tend to practice subtlety.

https://www.flgov.com/2022/06/15/governor-ron-desantis-unveils-the-florida-state-guard/

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Desantis is scarier and more dangerous than Trump and will very likely be running for president in 2028 if not 2024. Desantis is Homelander more Trump is Homelander imho

Huh. Well, I have thoughts... But I'm not totally certain what the rules are regarding politics in TV IV, or if it's bad to potentially derail the thread, or whatever.

So, I think I'll leave things at that.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Homelander does a lot of Trump Bits because it's funny and gets the subtext across (the taco bowls, shooting someone in fifth avenue, etc) but rather than a 1:1 representation of the man himself he's the avatar of the entitlement, rage, and resentment at the heart of the reactionary alt-right. That's why the metaphor works even though he's handsome, smart, strong, all things that Trump isn't. Homelander is what the MAGAs envision at the heart of their movement.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

do the boys get to keep their swanky office in the flatiron building given that theyre apparently going to go after a presidential candidate and the most powerful man in the world simultaneously

seems like they might be easy to find

One of Homelander's Proud Boys (Homeboys?) gonna find Annie's unbagged costume & boots in the Flatiron garbage chute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

pik_d posted:

Wait so the same actor is playing the same "hero" but a different person behind the mask? That's weird.

Why would that be weird?