Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I liked how surreal shin sekai yori could be, and when it would go straight horror. Also that it wasn't 50 eps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

Anyone recommended or nominated by other posters has turned it down. Turns out people don't like being abused over mundane poo poo.

I’m volunteering in order to purge politics from the chat thread, this is not a bit

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pootybutt posted:

I liked how surreal shin sekai yori could be, and when it would go straight horror. Also that it wasn't 50 eps
i would definitely describe shin sekai yori as 'straight horror' *laugh track* *applause*

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Endorph posted:

i would definitely describe shin sekai yori as 'straight horror' *laugh track* *applause*

:five:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

I’m volunteering in order to purge politics from the chat thread, this is not a bit

everyone already STFUd about it like 2 hours ago!!!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

mycophobia posted:

*yanks you off the stage with that hook thing*

Why are you booing him, he's right

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

We respect HxH here.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't terribly dislike HxH, I don't even really dislike Chimera Ant, that arc was just very long, kind of rote for me personally on a thematic level, and not done a ton of favors by the anime adaptation, particularly regarding the sheer, overbearing amount of narration. (e: also it was really oversold for me, that's a lot of it too)

That said, I've liked longer shounen arcs than Chimera Ant before (I'm a One Piece fan lol), but I'm not really equipped to explain why I'm more tolerant of it in certain series than HxH right now. It's a series that has its moments but it often leaves me cold.

Arist fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 9, 2022

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

We respect HxH here.

take it to tbb

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The last time I talked to people about HxH was many years ago now. Is Togahis still going to pull a Martin and never finish it so why bother starting?

I'm sure it's good - all I've ever heard is it's even better than Yu Yu Hakusho - but while I sympathize with his health problems, I'd hate to start something and have to just...stop It's also why I've never read Nana.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you somehow missed him becoming the most popular twitter account last month when he started posting progress pages of new chapters, and i guess somehow having a feasible way to continue doing that despite his horrible body

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

I don't terribly dislike HxH, I don't even really dislike Chimera Ant, that arc was just very long, kind of rote for me personally on a thematic level, and not done a ton of favors by the anime adaptation, particularly regarding the sheer, overbearing amount of narration. (e: also it was really oversold for me, that's a lot of it too)
the narration owns and is the best part

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SHOOT HAS REALIZED HE CAN STAND ON HIS CAGES, INCREASING HIS MOBILITY TENFOLD. THIS IS A BOOST IN COURAGE AND POWER BROUGHT ABOUT BY THE DIRENESS OF THE SITUATION. HE ALSO HAS POPPED HIS COLLAR. HE DID THIS FOR NO PARTICULAR REASON.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

The last time I talked to people about HxH was many years ago now. Is Togahis still going to pull a Martin and never finish it so why bother starting?

I'm sure it's good - all I've ever heard is it's even better than Yu Yu Hakusho - but while I sympathize with his health problems, I'd hate to start something and have to just...stop It's also why I've never read Nana.

Just watch the 2011 anime. It ends basically in a place that there could have been nothing else past it and it would have been perfect. I've basically had zero desire to read where it left off for similar reasons of fearing it'd never end, and I don't feel like I've missed out at all by this point tbh.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

its about the journey not the destination

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Endorph posted:

SHOOT HAS REALIZED HE CAN STAND ON HIS CAGES, INCREASING HIS MOBILITY TENFOLD. THIS IS A BOOST IN COURAGE AND POWER BROUGHT ABOUT BY THE DIRENESS OF THE SITUATION. HE ALSO HAS POPPED HIS COLLAR. HE DID THIS FOR NO PARTICULAR REASON.

that part was incredibly based

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Just watch the 1999 anime.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endorph posted:

If it was all poo poo like this I could get behind that, but instead, oh good, 40% of this episode is just Michael McConnohie directly telling me what the theme of this arc over panning shots is like I'm watching an episode of G.I. Joe

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

There's a pretty good stopping point (That the newer anime wisely chooses to end on) that gives a sense of closure, it's powerful enough that despite some dangling plot threads it just feels proper.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

If it was all poo poo like this I could get behind that, but instead, oh good, 40% of this episode is just Michael McConnohie directly telling me what the theme of this arc over panning shots is like I'm watching an episode of G.I. Joe
oh you watched the dub no wonder

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

also considering togashi talked about literally being physically unable to wipe his own rear end for a period of time i don't really think its fair to compare him to grrm

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Dub narrator is slightly better imho.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I looked up the specific scene I was thinking of in the sub because the way McConnohie delivered it is still stuck in my brain and I actually liked the sub performance less lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to make that not a rando dub diss i think the jp narrator sounds more matter of fact, that works with the war documentary-esque framing the chimera ant arc uses and thereby justifies him explaining stuff like motivations and themes - its sort of like a historical drama, like the romance of the three kingdoms, or w/e. the kinda grandiose tone the dub narrator has makes it seem more like you're expected to have your mind blown by these statements rather than it just being a blunt assessment of obvious facts. theres more emotional distance. he still sounds somewhat dramatic but its dramatic in the way an old man explaining an old war would be, if that makes sense. im not a fan of the dub narrator's delivery and i think it detracts from what the point of the narration is

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endorph posted:

to make that not a rando dub diss i think the jp narrator sounds more matter of fact, that works with the war documentary-esque framing the chimera ant arc uses and thereby justifies him explaining stuff like motivations and themes - its sort of like a historical drama, like the romance of the three kingdoms, or w/e. the kinda grandiose tone the dub narrator has makes it seem more like you're expected to have your mind blown by these statements rather than it just being a blunt assessment of obvious facts. theres more emotional distance. he still sounds somewhat dramatic but its dramatic in the way an old man explaining an old war would be, if that makes sense. im not a fan of the dub narrator's delivery and i think it detracts from what the point of the narration is

That does seem to address that bit at least, I was rolling my eyes hard at "ARE HUMANS REALLY SO DIFFERENT FROM ANTS?" in the dub

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

studio mujahideen posted:

also considering togashi talked about literally being physically unable to wipe his own rear end for a period of time i don't really think its fair to compare him to grrm

Grrm looks like he has that problem too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Just watch the 2011 anime. It ends basically in a place that there could have been nothing else past it and it would have been perfect. I've basically had zero desire to read where it left off for similar reasons of fearing it'd never end, and I don't feel like I've missed out at all by this point tbh.

Srice posted:

There's a pretty good stopping point (That the newer anime wisely chooses to end on) that gives a sense of closure, it's powerful enough that despite some dangling plot threads it just feels proper.

That sounds promising, thanks for the suggestion.

I always heard the manga talked up a lot, though. Apparently it's wordy as hell.

Arist posted:

Good choice for a narrator.

Although nothing beats Brice Armstrong in Dragon Ball and Campbell Lane in Gundam Wing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Campbell Lane was thr GOAT. Rip.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

Anyone recommended or nominated by other posters has turned it down. Turns out people don't like being abused over mundane poo poo.

I can't believe namtab turned it down

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

As far as I understand, Gon and Killua have actually not really been IN HxH since that point and the current arc is Leorio and Kurapika focused, right?

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

just amazed ppl watched all that in both languages

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Leorio is the best part though so it's okay.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Roth posted:

I watched a bit of the newer Sailor Moon dub and thought it was pretty good

I've watched a lot of it and i agree!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It is pretty good but my brain is terminal and I mentally replace things with "Molly" and "meatball head" etc

Same problem with CCS and Madison

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

NikkolasKing posted:

I've mentioned it a few times but I miss dubbed OP's and ED's. I don't think they're really a thing anymore.

The best anybody could do for me when I asked on Reddit was this from some show called Zombie Land Saga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKKEqlC_OB8

I think this is just a bonus on the home release, too.

and probably only because it was already translated

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 9, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

NikkolasKing posted:

I've mentioned it a few times but I miss dubbed OP's and ED's. I don't think they're really a thing anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRVthxzVcDo&t=34s
watch 20 seconds of "Hurricane Tonight!" challenge

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TenementFunster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRVthxzVcDo&t=34s
watch 20 seconds of "Hurricane Tonight!" challenge

It's fine, I like it. Granted I like the Lunar 1 Sega CD opening, so

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Kild posted:

I can't believe namtab turned it down

The only person to nominate namtab is namtab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I can't believe namtab nominated namtab only to turn it down