Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Mushrooms are Satan's fruit and don't belong anywhere near food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Stoatbringer posted:

Mature stilton with a dollop of dark damson chutney omg heaven

Ooooooooooooohh. I know what I’m making next summer (Southern Hemisphere). Chutney fuckin rules.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Thank you to whoever made the thread title but altered it to be grammatically correct. My inner Jordan Peterson has an aneurysm when someone doesn't correctly agree object and subject forms

Up yours, woke prescriptivists! We'll see who correct who

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

RareAcumen posted:

NFT ideas remain so stupid that I can still be tricked into believing anything.

https://twitter.com/BlkDragonfruit/status/1545594761461075969

How is this more uncanny than the cats from Cats 2019

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

RareAcumen posted:

NFT ideas remain so stupid that I can still be tricked into believing anything.

https://twitter.com/BlkDragonfruit/status/1545594761461075969
https://twitter.com/g13m/status/1545415032183394306
Yeah, sure. :nallears:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Does he defend against the air force?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
My little guy has PTSD, how cute.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

someone in this household is going to die from a gunshot almost guaranteed :(

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Further proof that living in the burbs gives you siege mentality.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

kazil posted:

Yeah probably

https://www.cnn.com/2016/01/12/us/father-shoots-son/index.html

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Were I convinced there was someone in the house, I would definitely shout a lot to indicate what I was doing as I go through each room looking to shoot them, I think this would help the situation in the event there was someone there.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Shithouse Dave posted:

Ooooooooooooohh. I know what I’m making next summer (Southern Hemisphere). Chutney fuckin rules.

This recipe is great.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

kazil posted:

"I came home early so I used the spare key to-- AUGH"

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Lol " I punched in the code to close the garage door"

I'm sure that you did, and then you walked away without confirming that it closed all the way. Something probably interrupted the sensor to make sure that it doesn't crush anything, like a leaf or a bit of dust if the drat thing is over sensitive. I've seen garage door openers take two or three tries to close.

But I'm sure the more likely explanation is that somebody invaded their home to steal their custom engraved " live laugh love" sign from the kitchen

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dr. Stab posted:

My little guy has PTSD, how cute.

That's not PTSD, that's the guy who feels real accomplished when his service (3.5 years at a desk in Abilene and six months at one in Guam) gets thanked. This is the first time he's gotten to sweep rooms like a real Warfighter and he's having a blast.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Were I convinced there was someone in the house, I would definitely shout a lot to indicate what I was doing as I go through each room looking to shoot them, I think this would help the situation in the event there was someone there.

I believe this is something that gun owners are actually told to do to avoid confrontation, oddly enough (yell that you’re there, you’re armed, and give them they chance to flee, to be clear). Apparently nearly everyone looking to rob a house is desperate to not get caught/be seen (I assume this is true) so most people will just cut and run if they realize someone is there, and if a trained assassin is there to murder you, you’re probably dead either way.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's not PTSD, that's the guy who feels real accomplished when his service (3.5 years at a desk in Abilene and six months at one in Guam) gets thanked. This is the first time he's gotten to sweep rooms like a real Warfighter and he's having a blast.

it's this.

only enlisted gun carriers in chair force are guards and cops

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why not both?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GreenMetalSun posted:

I believe this is something that gun owners are actually told to do to avoid confrontation, oddly enough (yell that you’re there, you’re armed, and give them they chance to flee, to be clear). Apparently nearly everyone looking to rob a house is desperate to not get caught/be seen (I assume this is true) so most people will just cut and run if they realize someone is there, and if a trained assassin is there to murder you, you’re probably dead either way.

Sure, but if he's just going around being tacticool and yelling clear to the rest of his non existent team because that's what they do in the movies, that's not really "if you run away I won't shoot you" as much as "giving the indication that I am going to shoot you and also telegraphing where I am so that you have advance warning"

It seems like the worst of both worlds.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

GreenMetalSun posted:

Yeah robbers like to target empty buildings because the goal is to steal stuff and not be shot or arrested. You don't need a gun, just showing up deters most. You also shouldn't shoot people over your tv and wedding ring imo but :shrug:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Confusedslight posted:

Why not both?

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bargearse posted:

Mushrooms are Satan's fruit and don't belong anywhere near food.

i cant gently caress with this at all

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

it's this.

Those are the only people in the AF who carry a gun as part of their service. I'm sure the Venn diagram of "dipshits who carry guns and don't really know how to use them but love to pull them out" and "served in any branch of the US military" is a circle with a smaller circle entirely within it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

He's this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNdjqrhBn9U

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've definitely seen multiple near-identical permutations of 'my ex-military husband saw signs of a breakin and went military protecting us from nothing, isn't that cute/great'. Either that happens a lot, or it's becoming a stock story that military wives tell on social media regardless of truth.

...I'm worried that both of these are equally plausible.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I've definitely seen multiple near-identical permutations of 'my ex-military husband saw signs of a breakin and went military protecting us from nothing, isn't that cute/great'. Either that happens a lot, or it's becoming a stock story that military wives tell on social media regardless of truth.

...I'm worried that both of these are equally plausible.

It's mostly the second one tbh

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
"Military Wife" as a specific thing, distinct from "married someone who at some point was in the military," is 100% a character some sad people get into to be interesting. Constantly talk about your badass husband, own a pink pistol, use every TLA you can think of. I may or may not be describing my cousin's ex-wife and the reason they divorced.

As a general rule the more someone loving loves being a badass military vet and regrets nothing, the further they were from The poo poo. Combat veterans don't talk about it and mostly regret and hate the service.

Exception for stuff like SEALs which deliberately select for glory-seeking psychopaths. That's how you get a :911: movie about a guy who wrote in his own autobiography about how much he wanted to shoot little kids in Iraq.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 15:39 on Jul 9, 2022

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"Military Wife" as a specific thing, distinct from "married someone who at some point was in the military," is 100% a character some sad people get into to be interesting. Constantly talk about your badass husband, own a pink pistol, use every TLA you can think of. I may or may not be describing my cousin's ex-wife and the reason they divorced.

As a general rule the more someone loving loves being a badass military vet and regrets nothing, the further they were from The poo poo. Combat veterans don't talk about it and mostly regret and hate the service.

My experience and time in the Navy would corroborate this. A person's actual experience with firearms and tacticool operations in the military are inversely proportional to how much they talk about that poo poo.

I remember in basic training we would often chit chat about what advanced training people had chosen and what rate they were going for and there were always people who claimed that they were going to be special forces. In many cases it was obvious they were not in shape enough for that training. I guess they didn't know that they announce everyone's orders and schools at the end of training, so it was funny to see Seaman "Ima go to special forces" have their orders to culinary school read aloud and their face turn bright red.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Just going to take the opportunity to poo poo on a former Navy dude I worked with on a non-profit who would try to swing his dick around and challenge me in front of others by talking about his "combat experience" when every single thing about his expertise (boat mechanics) and post-service career (Human Resources) indicated that his combat experience amounted to being told by his superiors that they had entered "hostile waters" once or twice and given an all-clear a few hours later.

Dude stole everything he could from the org that wasn't nailed down and tried to go into business for himself, which went about as well as you'd expect.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

100% correct. Which is why you see so many of these dorks from the Air Force.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Just going to take the opportunity to poo poo on a former Navy dude I worked with on a non-profit who would try to swing his dick around and challenge me in front of others by talking about his "combat experience" when every single thing about his expertise (boat mechanics) and post-service career (Human Resources) indicated that his combat experience amounted to being told by his superiors that they had entered "hostile waters" once or twice and given an all-clear a few hours later.

Dude stole everything he could from the org that wasn't nailed down and tried to go into business for himself, which went about as well as you'd expect.

If you enter what is considered a "combat zone", regardless of actual level of danger or amount of conflict, you get some tax benefits and it shows up on your earnings statement. Most of the Persian Gulf area counts as a combat zone so it was quite common for all the Navy ships to swing by there if they could while on deployment. If you spend one day of a month in a combat zone the entire month is tax free and any re-enlistment bonuses awarded are tax free during the time. So it was common for the CO to order the ship into the area on the 30th/31st and then leave on the 1st so you would get two months tax free pay and it would also encourage people to re-enlist, because some of the re-enlistment bonuses were up to 100k, so the tax free incentive was a huge carrot to dangle to convince people to re-enlist.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Did anyone Google that? I think it’s worth looking into, can’t believe the President would do this.

I feel like it’s going to blow up.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

This got me for 1/8th of a second.
Not that the law or whatever maybe be true.
But that I should google search Biden rule 34, to read/see how stupid this person was to misinterpret the actual wording.
But as I internally repeated the entire phrase, "-ation rule 34-34...-thirty... four... fouur..four... fouuuurrrr" echoing in my mind, it clicked, and I stopped myself from a horrifying google search, and got to get the joke.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I'm afraid they're actually serious about that. I don't like to think of myself as a bigot, but it's become apparent that the "rights" we give to the LGTBQ+ community are merely a smokescreen to hide their growing radicalization. It's not enough for them to be allowed t9 have free expression -- they're trying to make it so they can force their beliefs onto us. What's worse is that both parties are encouraging this for their own ends: Democrats allow it because it makes them look more progressive, and Republicans are discreetly allowing it because it gives them a prefext to further curtail our rights as American citizens.

However, there is another political group growing in number and influence that recognizes the unbalance of the system and will use policies from both sides of the aisle to restore the balance we had in the past so we can work toward a more stable, equitable future.

If you're interested in joining the movement, you can find more materials about them by googling the Bipartisan Alliance to Restore America, or "BARA" for short.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When the gently caress did they start getting called Warfighters anyway? It sounds incredibly stupid. 'No other term is hardcore enough, I have to be a WARFIGHTER™'.

Did Games Workshop tell them they needed a unique term so they could monetize it properly?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Prism posted:

When the gently caress did they start getting called Warfighters anyway? It sounds incredibly stupid. 'No other term is hardcore enough, I have to be a WARFIGHTER™'.

Did Games Workshop tell them they needed a unique term so they could monetize it properly?

I remember this becoming a thing shortly after the second Iraq war kicked off.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
War fighter was a term if I remember my ancient army lore came about with the turn of the millennium for the war fighter initiative we were supposed to have a new fancy rifle with smart grenade launcher and detailed comms and info so we were like digital cyberdudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
it didn't happen by the way.